ScriptManager on Master page, Update Panel on Content page, not firing ?

Hi

I have a pretty big content page.On it I have a drop down list that does a post back to hide or show filters for a search and a search button. When the search button is clicked I would like a gridview to be updated.

I have tried putting the update panel around the search dropdown, etc. and the grid view. When I do that I get errors: Microsoft JScript runtime error: 'this.get_element().style' is null or not an object

So then I tried to put the update panel just around the grid view by turning off child triggers and setting the async post back trigger of the update panel to be the search button Click event.

That didn't work.

Then I added the updatePanel.Update() to the code behind on Click event.

That also didn't work.

How do I do this?
0
boflynn

I do not know exactly your codes, but the error is obvious.

The problem is with your codes to hide or show filters. When the JS error tell that accessed object is null, then it means that the object (filter) is hidden when you are calling the JS function, so it can't find the object and raises an error.

ferrymeidianto
5/15/2008 3:01:23 PM

Fro 'this.get_element().style' see this

http://forums.asp.net/t/1068148.aspx

A page registers a control as a trigger by calling the RegisterAsyncPostBackControl(Control) method. The code refreshes the UpdatePanel control programmatically by calling the Update() method.

Chetan Sarode
Software Engineer,
Approva Systems Pvt Ltd,
Pune, India.
0
chetan
5/16/2008 3:41:23 AM

boflynn,

From what you describe, it should work fine.  Could you post some of your code so we can work through it a little to identify the issue?

James

James Ashley, Magenic Technologies
(james.ashley.magenic@gmail.com)
0
vgiambattista

Using an Update Panel in a Content page of Master.page/content.page scenario
When I place an Update Panel inside a content page of a Masterpage I get the following error: Element 'UpdatePanel' is not a known element. This can occur if there is a compilation error in the Web site.  Is the Update Panel suppose to work with a content page, etc.?  Can't seem to find any Docs that talk about where the Update Panel is allowed. Warren     Well, don't you know it.  Right after I put out the original post, I then downloaded the latest release of the ajax extensions and it looks like they have fixed the problem with the update panel not working ...

Master Page multiple content page ajax update panel question

Master Page cannot trigger Content Page Update Panel
I have a Master page with a header that have a popup page opened via javascript. In the popup page i have some selection say year and period, when a user change a selection it will do a postback save the values in session and close the popup page. When the popup page is closed i will trigger a javascript function to click a button inside my content page The button is on all your pages with that master page?...

Update panel ins Master page ... triger control in content page
In the Masterpage i have a datalist inside a update panel . in a page used this masterpage i need when click a button de datalist refresh without refresh all the page   Somebody can help me??   thanks vgta_: In the Masterpage i have a datalist inside a update panel . in a page used this masterpage i need when click a button de datalist refresh without refresh all the page   Somebody can help me??   thanks Please ignoe this post...

throw exception if using master page,update panel with in content page
hi friends,  i am using vs2005 and asp.net2.0. i am using master page,content page ,update panel within content page. Now i want to throw exception as message box with exception name in message box due to control in update panel.i am able to show exception name in text box but not in message box. plz. help ASAP   vickyjha Hi, The Follwing code Take Data from Update Panel an Shows it When U click Show Button...Hope It Helps U <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"> <html xmlns="htt...

Update Panel containing usercontrol on Master Page, triggered from another content page?
Hello,Hoping someone can help. I have a master page with a user control in it.I have a content page with a Datalist with a OnItemCommand event (linked to select buttons on each row). I want that event to trigger a update of the user control on the master page.I need this so just the user control can be re-printed to the page and not all 100 rows in the datalist.Any help is appreciated. I am new to Atlas.Thanks,joe ...

how to set triggers on content page to capture events from nested master page in update panel?
Here is the scope: I have site.master (logo, footer etc) and nested in it search.master with two contentPlaceHolders (navigation/login and search). While selecting search parameters on search.master (inside search.master update panel) I want dynamically display matching results on content page of search.master. Sounds simple, right?  My question:  My child content page finds controls on the master  but can not capture any changes I am making on the master. I tried to register trigger on the content page by  Dim _parent As ContentPlaceHol...

Can't Get Master Page/Content Page Update Panel to work

synchronizing content pages to master page when master page is edited
 Hi Guys,I'm new to designing websites so please forgive this basic question.I've updated my master page and the modfications ( adding a couple of extra place holders)  are not reflecting in the content pages.Is there any way we can update the content pages created before the changes to the master page were made.Thanks a lot  :)  abhinaynag: I'm new to designing websites so please forgive this basic question. I've updated my master page and the modfications ( adding a couple of extra place holders)  are not reflecting in the content pages. Is t...

Updating label in Master page from aspx page using Update panel
Hi,   I have master page that has label. Now aspx page that is using that master page has some code in update panel that save data in DB that will load by master page and update the label. problem is that code in update page can refresh master page to reload data to update label  My question is How I update the panel label when code on aspx page using update panel updates DB. Thanks See http://www.asp.net/AJAX/Documentation/Live/tutorials/UsingUpdatePanelMasterPages.aspx -DamienVisoft, Inc - Home | Blogs Latest Blog Post: SQL 2008 x64 and VS2008 SP1...

Full post back occuring on master / content pages with AJAX update panel
Hello, I need some assistance with a problem I am having with the AJAX update panel and master / content pages.  I created a new "AJAX Enabled Web Site" and added a master page and content page.  The master page contains a script manager control with partial page rendering set to true.  The content page has an update panel that contains a simple label and a button.  The button click event fires a method that stores the current date and time to the label.  Since the button is in the update panel, there is not need for conditional updates thus the updatemode of the up...

when I make a directory on my root, and in that directory I put a masterpage and a web form ... I get always an error : Content controls have to be top-level controls in a content page or a nested master page that references a master page.   Does somebody know what the problem is ? Is it possible you can't set a masterpage in a directory ... ?Kind Regards,Joeri Pansaerts.From Bruges, Belgium :) i've founded ... I had to nest my masterpage ...Kind Regards,Joeri Pansaerts.From Bruges, Belgium :) Hi Joeri Pansaerts, I am receiving the same error as the one posted here, Could you please share your solution with me. I am using a single Master Page. Thank You, Sudhe Hi Sudhe,  Are you using 2 masterpages ?Kind Regards,Joeri Pansaerts.From Bruges, Belgium :) Hi Joeri, Thank you for the reply. I am using a single master page, however I had figured out the solution. Thanks once again, Sudhe hi, I also geting the same error, I am using single master page and a web form. please can any one help me to solve this problem....

A son of a Challenge: XML file feeding menu on master page, and changing ajax update panel in content??
This may cover quite a few areas, and is proving a challenge :-) I have a master page that contains a custom control that will store some links (or really menu items, xmlnode = Content), eg Page1. Page2 The master page contains an AJAX script manager to allow partial page rendering. The content page will then contain child data for that 'link' This needs to all work off of a simgle xml file, i have successfully created my xml and xsl file for the content for Page1 XML file:<Area> <Content name="Page1" Description="Description on Page"&...

ScriptManager on Master Page
Hello.I am new to AJAX.NET, but have been asked to add a slideshow to an existing site page.  The master page has a ScriptManager, and the SlideShowExtender keeps saying it needs a ScriptManager on the page.  I've tried using the ScriptManagerProxy, but that didn't work (though, I don't really know if I'm using it correctly), and, of course, putting another ScriptManager on the content page throws an error.  And I am utterly confused after reading dozens of articles and forum posts.Can someone help?  ScriptManager on a MasterPage is fine...  you don...

How to access Master Page ScriptManager from a Content Page?
I am using Master Page in my project where i declared a script manager class. After that i added a content page of the master page.But when i try to add an update panel inside the content page,an message shown that "Update panel is not a known element", That means the content page could not find the script manager class of the master page. so how to acess the MasterPage script Manager from a content Page? Please reply me , its urgent. N thanx in advance. Hi, you need to place a ScriptManagerProxy to the content page: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.ui.scriptma...

Reference panel in Master Page from a Content Page
 How I can do that?There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!  Either use Master.FindControl("pnlMyPanel"), or write a property in the master page to return the panel, then use the <%MasterType declaration in your content page... then you can do Master.MyPanelProperty to get to the panel.Regardsbgs264  i understand that you want to reference panel which residing in master page - from content page code:((Panel)((ContentPlaceHolder)this.Master.FindControl("ContentPlaceHolderID")).FindControl(&q...

ScriptManagerProxy in content page when no ScriptManager in master page
Assume the following situation: I have a master that contains no ScriptManager. I have only one content page where at the moment I need a ScriptManager so I add it to the content page. Weeks later I have a second content page that needs a ScriptManager so instead of creating the ScriptManager in the 2nd content page as well I decided to add the ScriptManager to the Master page. On the first content page I get an exception because there are 2 instances of the ScriptManager. Things get worse if you have nested masterpages. The only solution to be future proof is to add the Scr...

CSS not accessable from content page when Master Page and Content Pages are in different folder.
I can't seem to find a solution to this problem.  I have a master page and content pages and a CSS file all in the root folder.  I have created a sub folder called News and have added a content page that references the master page in the root directory with the following: MasterPageFile="~/Default.master". The issue is that the page in the News folder is not picking up the CSS styles from the master page.  Has anybody else ran into a problem like this and was able to find a solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, Neeraj    N...

Change content pages of Master Page without Master Page posting back?
so Master + content pages seems like exactly what I want except that they are assembled on postbacks. I am trying to make a site where both Master and Content pages have updatepanels, and the site switches content pages (40+ content pages) without the master page refreshing. Master Pages are assembled on postbacks so I don't think simple master page will work without annoying postbacks. I tried an approach where load content pages inside an Iframe, but the content pages take too long to load becuase each content page loads its own scriptmanager. View/Multiview will probably work but dif...

Programmatically set a content pages Master page to another Master page which is nested in the original
Hello, I have a set up where I have a main masterpage that I use most of the time but occasionally I need to swtch to another masterpage which is actually nested to the main masterpage. The switch needs to happen between postbacks from one content page to another. The problem I'm having, is that it is giving me an exception that it cannot find the content place holders in in the main master page. I have overriden the OnPreInit event of the content page where I check a session variable to see if I need to load the nested page or the main page. When I try to load the page I am presented ...

Having Problem in Posting Value from a Content Page to another Content Page within a Same Master Page
Hello, I have a Master Page which contains two Content pages named: Default.aspx and Default2.aspx. I want to post a TextBox1 value (in Default.aspx) to Default2.aspx in the Master Pages and all my pages are in ContentPlaceHolder, but it is not working.   Is there Any kind of help?  Hi,you can pass value between two web forms by Query string, session  or by using cookieFor query string  refer : http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/QueryString.aspxSession: save session in default.aspx Session("t1")=text1.text retrieve session astext2.text = session(&quo...

HOW ADD .ASPX PAGE ( as content page) TO MASTER PAGE
hi friends, I have been trying to link  aspx pages to my master page ( which I created afterwards) without any success. I know how to do it when it comes to normal procedure i.e. first create a master page and then content pages. I have a different situation, I already have aspx pages  and now i created a master page but I am unable to link them. I tried  imitating the code from a content page created using normal procedure but thats also not working. Please do help me in this regard, Thank you Prince, Just create a master page and then create a child page. Check what are the informations the child page is holding regarding master page. Now you just do a reverse engineering. Add the proper information in your child page about the master page. It is not a very difficult work. <%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/MasterPage.master" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default2.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default2" Title="Untitled Page" %><asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" Runat="Server"></asp:Content>   So very minimum changes you have to made as i have mentioned in block  Any prob come back to me. Joydeep SenDotnet DeveloperDont forget to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Re...

Web resources about - ScriptManager on Master page, Update Panel on Content page, not firing ? - asp.net.ajax-ui

ASP.NET AJAX and jQuery Presentation
... : You can download the following demo Visual Studio 2008 projects: ASP.NET AJAX and jQuery Demo Illustrates how to use ASP.NET AJAX (ScriptManager, ...

Top Ranked Articles

Programming Archives - Dirk Strauss
... On 21 July, 2014 01:00:19, in Programming , by Dirk Strauss 0 Comments Leave A Response Tagged with: Ajax Control Toolkit • ajaxtoolkitscriptmanager ...

Using jQuery to Consume ASP.NET JSON Web Services
An overview of consuming ASP.NET web services that are JSON serialized by the ASP.NET AJAX extensions, including a specific example of using ...

Brendan Enrick
Archive - Brendan Enrick

Visual Studio 2012 RC is released
... of a request via HttpRequest.Abort() Improved support for async in Web Forms including support for async page & control event handlers ScriptManager ...

Archive
Archive - The Imaginative Universal

Nu Mark Website : Welcome page
... innovation. Our products are grounded in INNOVATION . Our marketing and product development are driven by RESPONSIBILITY . ‭(Hidden)‬ ScriptManager ...

Some ASP.NET AJAX Tips and Tricks
I've been using ASP.NET AJAX alot for a while now, so I thought I'd share some of the Tips and Tricks that I've learned though my adventures. ...

Ajax Category
Ajax Category