Problem getting Ajax to work on Pages using MasterPage File

I have a situation that I am in desperate need of help with. I am trying to get Ajax working on our server machine so we can test forms that have ajax controls embedded. I have had to move the Ajax extensions dll to the bin folder since I suspect my Server is not Ajax enabled. On a Standalone page, I can successfully use Ajax on the server, but when I try to use Ajax by dropping the scriptmanager on the masterpage and then using an UpdatePanel control on a child page contained in the content section I get the following error message ....

Server Error in '/' Application.

Parser Error

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unknown server tag 'asp:UpdatePanel'.

Source Error:

Line 4:
Line 5:  <asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="Content" runat="Server">
Line 6:      <asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
Line 7:          <contenttemplate>
Line 8:             <asp:Label ID="lblError" runat="server"></asp:Label><br />

Source File: /CommonTools/TimeOffManagement.aspx    Line: 6

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

Anyone know what else I need to do to get this working with no errors? Thanks in Advance

.Net Web/Software Engineer
0
Dollarjunkie

On your standalone page, do you have a <%@ Register %> declaration?  Sounds like you've got that instead of it in the web.config, but your master page is missing it.

Encosia - ASP.NET, AJAX, and more.

Latest article: Using complex types to make calling services less… complex
0
gt1329a
2/7/2008 10:28:53 PM

http://asp.net/ajax/documentation/live/InstallingASPNETAJAX.aspx

check <configSections> Element in web.config

Configuring web.config as below

http://asp.net/AJAX/Documentation/Live/ConfiguringASPNETAJAX.aspx

Chetan Sarode
Software Engineer,
Approva Systems Pvt Ltd,
Pune, India.
0
chetan
2/8/2008 3:24:58 AM

This is weird.

 I made sure to configure the web.config well. In my masterpage, I have the following.....

 <%@ Register Assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=1.0.61025.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35"
    Namespace="System.Web.UI" TagPrefix="asp" %>

 Given that these files are contained in the bin folder in my application as we speak. It worked for a while and just crashed for some reason or another. Any suggestions?? The very same thing I have on my server worked a while ago, until I uploaded a newer version and it broke. This works with no probs on my local machine though, only that I have the web.extension installed on my machine but on the server, I had to move the dll to the bin directory since I suspect it is not ajax enabled.

.Net Web/Software Engineer
0
Dollarjunkie
2/8/2008 4:47:14 PM

The AJAX Extensions have to be loaded on the server.  You can include the Control Toolkit in the bin directory, but copying the extensions dll there does nothing for you.

When you ask a question, remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a reply which answers your question.

My latest ASP.NET AJAX blog entries.
0
DisturbedBuddha
2/8/2008 7:11:29 PM

DisturbedBuddha:

The AJAX Extensions have to be loaded on the server.  You can include the Control Toolkit in the bin directory, but copying the extensions dll there does nothing for you.

But here is my situation. I have a standalone page on the same server that works with no problems of any kind.  Using the same dlls. I have an update panel there, an accordion and they all work perfectly well. But when I try to use a masterpage and then have my content page hold the updatepanel. the problem begins. My updatepanel is not seen. How do I fix this??

.Net Web/Software Engineer
0
Dollarjunkie
2/8/2008 9:09:34 PM

Hi Dollarjukie,

Dollarjunkie:
have a standalone page on the same server that works with no problems of any kind.  Using the same dlls. I have an update panel there, an accordion and they all work perfectly well.

It is really weird. Based on my experience, if your standalone page is a part of the Website, the master page should work.  However, please double check your web.config by following this documentation.   Also, please make sure that your .NET Framework matches the AJAX Control Toolkit.  As we know, AJAX Control Toolkit is divided into two versions, one for .NET Framework3.5 and another for .NET Framework 2.0.

If it doesn't work, please feel free to let me know with more information including your system environments and a tiny sample.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan Shen
Microsoft Online Community Support
Jonathan

Problem getting AJAX work on content page
 Hi,I want AJAX - enable existing content ASP .NET page. After updating web.config all seemed OK. But ...I'm still getting full postback even on this simple testing page:<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="cphMain" runat="server"> <asp:UpdatePanel ID="upd1" runat="server"> <ContentTemplate> <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" Text="Button" /><br /> <asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server" Text="Label&q...

Getting Ajax Error when not using Ajax
VWD 2008 Express.  Visual Basic. "All of a sudden" I am getting the following error when I try to load a particular page in my site: Could not load file or assembly 'AjaxControlToolkit' or one of its dependencies. Access is denied. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'AjaxControlToolkit' or one of its dependencies. Acce...

im working on masterpage i need to avoid full page refreshing using Ajax,
Hello Gentlemen,                    1.            Im using Ajax CollapsableExtenderControl in my masterpage. But when i click the links on the second panel (i.e the panel  which will expand and collapse)  my page is refreshing. 2. Any button clicks on content place holder also full page is refreshing if i keep that controls( ie . textbox,gridview etc) in update panel.        .  &nb...

working with list boxes , without postback of the page in vb.net using ajax technology
Hi !                 I am working with the list box program using ajax technology, but i am not using ajax framework.                 i am taking 2 list boxes, when i select an item in the first list box that item must be added in the second listbox.                 i am using javascript , visusal studio 2005 and  Internet Exploree  ...

Old AJAX in .NET 1.1 compatibility with .NET framework 2.0. Ajax does not work always ....................
Hello,I have converted the web site from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0. Some of the pages in the web site use AJAX which was developed in .NET 1.1Ajax does not work smoothly in .NET 2.0. Do I have to use ATLAS or is there any fix I can use to make the AJAX work ?Please let me know. Many thanks in advance. Nick..........

Getting Ajax working with masterpages
I'm essentially trying to get a CalendarExtender working, i got it working in a normal page, however when i put the textbox and CalenderExtender within a contentplaceholder in a content page, the ajax simply does not work? what is it that i gotta do to get that working? thanks  Did you add the ScriptManager on the master page?CheersAlMy BlogMapStats.NETPlease click on 'Mark as Answer' if this post answered your question! yes there is a script manager on the master page nevermind i got it working, i started from a scratch master page and content page and work...

ajax or not to ajax.
Heres a strange one for you. I have a textbox, a button and a gridview on a page. I enter some search text which returns 500 odd records in under a second. When i wrap the gridview in an updatepanel, set its update mode to "conditional" and the trigger to the button the page can take 2-4 seconds to render. I think the problem is down to page redering some how as my progress indicator stops at around the same time as the normal postback would appear. I have also noticed this very behaviour and have come to the conclusion that in cases like this it is better to hand code a XMLHttp...

Problem in downloading a file in ajax pages
I want to download a file in my ajax page. But it is not working. My code is as follows:    FileInfo file = null; string filename = null; //filename = @"E:\CC Project\DV\57\187\Home\" + e.CommandName; filename = @"E:\DV\" + lblOriginalImagePath.Text; string[] FileExtensionForDownload = filename.Split('.'); file = new FileInfo(filename); Response.Clear(); Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=" + "filename." + FileExtensionForDownload[1]);...

Problems with the old Ajax website
I have an old Ajax website. It used to run fine. However I have installed new version of ajax. I am not sure if that i sthe problem. This is the error i am getting now: Server Error in '/MainSite' Application. Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'System.Web.UI.Compatibility.CompareValidator' from assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Vers...

To AJAX, or not to AJAX?
Some body suggested to me to use AJAX. I figured it's not the brand name detergent nor the Dutch city. So here is what I have and please tell me if it ca be done with ajax, and perhaps point me to some examples, etc. The page contains several GridViews and FormViews that display data using several data calls. (Yeah, there is my first issue. Need to figure out how to cash all that.) This is an application that track work orders, so the top most FV has the user info and summary information of the work order. It is editable and so far it works well. There is also another set of infroamt...

Problems with ajax using master pages
 I am using .net 3.5 visual studio 2008 and I just got ajax working for the first time. However, I can not get it to work with a master page? When I do a postback and check IsInAsyncPostBack it is always false?<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">           function tick()    {        var prm = Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManager.getInstance();        prm._doPostBack('UpdatePanel1','');    &...

My AJAX is not AJAXing!
Hi, I was having trouble with a new AJAX enabled code so I tried to just to do a simple test page. I did the simple Label control with button example covered in this tutorial http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax/tutorial-01-cs.aspx I'm having the same problem. Functionalitw-wise it works but the page is refreshing and flickering. That means it's not the code but maybe my set up. I'm using VisualStudio 2005 and the application is currenty .NET 2.0. In VS.NET, I do see the AJAX controls though. What could this be?Thanks,Sam did you install the Ajax extensions? Now, it's AJAXing!...

HOW TO get AJAX to Work with an Exisiting .NET Application
FYI... HOW TO get AJAX WORKING with an EXISTING .NET APPLICATION I was trying to implement AJAX within an existing application and found I need ADD SOME things and REMOVE ONE thing in web.config.   Just my experience.  There may be a more straight-forward way to do this for "existing" .NET applications.  If so, please comment.  But this DID WORK for me. STEP 1:  FIRST WHAT "CANNOT BE" in web.config... which may solve some problems immediately -->  For me, even though everything else was good in web.config, AJAX 1.0 UpdatePanel ...

Problem using ajax confirmbuttonextender in Page That is in Iframe
When I trying to use ajax confirmbuttonextender  in page that is in Iframe it's no working What can I do?   Hi David Y           Here is a very simple sample.  I've test it on IE7 and Firefox 2. It works fine.  Maybe there's something wrong in your code. For a deep diagnosis , your code is preferred. However, hope it helps!   IFrameTest.aspx:        <%@ Page Language="C#" %> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Tran...

Web resources about - Problem getting Ajax to work on Pages using MasterPage File - asp.net.ajax-ui

Chuck Norris - blksthl
... Norris doesn't set an executionpolicy for Powershell. Chuck Norris Policy is to execute everyone. Chuck Norris never uses a SharePoint Masterpage. ...

“I Saw a Nazi”
... SEE YOU IN A YEAR! 18:28 - Pictures of reconstruction groups: Kacper Gizbo (NowyEkran.pl) pictures of marching of reconstruction groups: masterpage.com.pl ...

Ajax and forms authentication
Forms authentication is nice way to protect your asp.net web pages from unauthorized views. The good thing is that it shields all request for ...

Latest Updates
Latest Updates - Free source code and tutorials for Software developers and Architects.; Updated: 15 Feb 2013

Startup Pakistan
Pakistan has a whole host of problems. So does every other country in the world. The trouble is that the name Pakistan carries an increasingly ...

Delicious
Keep, share, and discover the best of the Web using Delicious, the world's leading social bookmarking service.

Free Summary Report
Turn on more accessible mode Turn off more accessible mode Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content Turn off Animations Turn on Animations Contact ...

Brendan Enrick
Archive - Brendan Enrick

moredotnet
M ore d otnet .NET Interview Questions, ASP.NET, C#, VB.NET, XML, SQL Check Out http://www.dotnetUncle.com √ .NET NOTES OOPS in .NET .NET ...

Using a nested Master Page with ASP.Net
The first thing I actually missed from Webforms are nested masterpages. Fortunately they’re not missing at all, they just figured out those MVC ...