Events not firing on custom control inside FormView inside UpdatePanel

Hi all-

I have a custom control that I have been using inside a FormView; all its events have been firing properly. Recently I placed the FormView inside an UpdatePanel, and now the events of the control are not firing.

I set the AutoPostBack property of the control to True and even turned on AutoEventWireup, but the event doesn't fire.

I tried adding the control as a Trigger on the UpdatePanel using this syntax:

<asp:AsyncPostBackTrigger ControlID="FormView1:CustomControl1" EventName="SelectionChanged" />

but the event still doesn't fire.

Am I doing this the right way? I have also posted this question on the control vendor's forum, but I thought I'd check here as well, to make sure I'm doing everything else right.

Thanks for any help...

-Andrew

Please remember when your post is solved, to "Mark as Answer" the post(s) that solved it!
1
AndrewCushen

 Hi Andrew,

Can you post a small but full sample? It's preferred that this sample doesn't rely on a specific class or database( Use mock data created in memory instead? ) .

1
Raymond
9/13/2007 7:44:32 AM

No,

"FormView1:CustomControl1" is not the right way, In this scenario,I think you can use FindContorl method(for more information,see http://forums.asp.net/t/1107107.aspx).

The RegisterAsyncPostBackControl(Control) method enables you to register controls to perform an asynchronous postback instead of a synchronous postback which updates the entire page . When the ChildrenAsTriggers property of an UpdatePanel control is set to true (which is the default), postback controls inside the UpdatePanel control are automatically registered as asynchronous postback controls and cause a refresh of the panel content.

Use the RegisterAsyncPostBackControl(Control) method to register controls outside of an UpdatePanel control as postback controls that can perform asynchronous postbacks and potentially update the content of an update panel. To update an UpdatePanel control programmatically, call the Update() method.

For more information,see http://www.asp.net/AJAX/Documentation/Live/mref/M_System_Web_UI_ScriptManager_RegisterAsyncPostBackControl_1_62fe17e7.aspx.

Best Regards,

Sincerely,
Jin-Yu Yin
Microsoft Online Community Support
-1
Jin
9/13/2007 10:09:11 AM

Hi gentlemen-

I just created a simple version of the page, and everything is working. So the problem has to be somewhere in my page. Now that I know that, I believe I can figure out the rest on my own.

Thanks for your time; next time I will just try a simplified version first!

Thanks,

-Andrew

Please remember when your post is solved, to "Mark as Answer" the post(s) that solved it!
1
AndrewCushen

It is a good manner to try a simplified version first when you run into an issueSmile

Best Regards

Sincerely,
Jin-Yu Yin
Microsoft Online Community Support
1
Jin

FileUpload control inside UpdatePanel inside user control inside popup
Hi,     The Asp.Net File Upload control is not working inside update panel. Acutally i have put the FileUpload control inside User Control again inside update panel. Since the update panel does async postback. The posted file is null in the server side. When i do full page level post back it works. but i have to put it inside update panel. How to do it? Becuase the FileUpload control should be in Ajax Model Popup Extender where i have to put update panel to avoid closing of popup after fullpostback. Since the ajax model popup extender is getting closed after full post b...

Controls inside formview inside formview
Hello, I'm trying to insert data into a label that is located in a formview which is located in a formview.  This is what I got so far: Private Sub Test()    Dim fvSecondView As New FormView    fvSecondView = Me.FormView1.FindControl("SecondView")    Dim lblData As New Label    lblData = fvSecondView.FindControl("DataLabel")    lblData.Text = "Some Data" End Sub Now this does work to get data out if I change the last line to: testlabel.text = lblData.Text But just can't seem to get the data to go ...

How to instantiate an AJAX control inside a custom AJAX control
Hi I want to include a ToggleButton control inside a custom AJAX control.  How can I instantiate an instance of the ToggleButton in my Javascript?  If I create an instance of the ToggleButton in C# code, how could the Javascript pick it up?  Thank you,  ltlwinger   http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397487.aspx Final Answer.Good Luck this._pin = $create(AjaxControlToolkit.ToggleButtonBehavior, { 'id': this.get_id() + "_ToggleButton", 'CheckedImageUrl': 'images/collapse.jpg', 'UncheckedImageUrl': '...

UpdatePanel inside a FormView inside another UpdatePanel
Hi,I have a FormView inside an UpdatePanel. I want to add a PopupControlExtender to select a date from a calendar and after clicking a date, sending it to the textbox of the formview.The code look like this :In my UserControl :<atlas:UpdatePanel ID="i_atupdpnlConfigurationActualite" runat="server"> <ContentTemplate> <asp:FormView ID="i_fvConfigurationActualite" runat="server" DataKeyNames="idWsgModuleActualite" DataSourceID="i_sdsFvConfigurationActualite" OnDataBound="i_fvConfigurationActualite_DataBoun...

PopupControlExtender with an UpdatePanel inside a FormView inside another UpdatePanel
Hi,I have a FormView inside an UpdatePanel. I want to add a PopupControlExtender to select a date from a calendar and after clicking a date, sending it to the textbox of the formview.The code look like this :In my UserControl :<atlas:UpdatePanel ID="i_atupdpnlConfigurationActualite" runat="server"> <ContentTemplate> <asp:FormView ID="i_fvConfigurationActualite" runat="server" DataKeyNames="idWsgModuleActualite" DataSourceID="i_sdsFvConfigurationActualite" OnDataBound="i_fvConfigurationActualite_DataBoun...

Web Custom control not firing javascript inside Updatepanel
Hi..  I have a Web Custom control placed inside a PlaceHolder which is inside an UpdatePanel. There is a javascript,which is embeded inside the Web Custom control,which will fire on page load,if we keep the control on page. Now I have the following Scenario :...On page load the PlaceHolder set to visible=False.So the Web custom control does not render to page.After the page is rendered, based on another Server side button click,the PlaceHolder is set to visible=True.Now the issue is thatEvenafter the Place holder which consists of the Web custom control is made visibe,the Web custom ...

Event not firing inside nested custom web control
Hi,Any help would be great, I'm really confused here.I have parent custom web control and a child custom web control.  I'm adding the child control dynamically in the parent control's CreateChildControls method.Inside the child control I have a button server control.  This button I'm adding in the child controls CreateChildControls method.The button has a click event which I declare like this:  myButton.Click += System.EventHandler(myButton_Click)In the child control I have a method to handle this event called myButton_Click.Now, I run my app and the parent control renders the...

Dynamicly created controls inside updatepanel dont fire events
I have an ajax page with mamy update panels, inside one im creating programmatically many radiobuttons to execute diferent options deppending on user selection and it will update another update panel. When I select any of those radiobuttons the async postback is being fired but it only executes the Page_OnLoad method and never executes the radiobutton_CheckedChanged event for that radio button.  any suggestion?  Thanks The reason is only one - the ViewState isn't correct. Looks like that you created dynamic controls too late. Try to do it in the overrided OnInit method... I c...

the SlideShowExtender does not fire the "SlideShowServiceMethod" event when inside a custom control. Why?
I have been playing with the slideshowextender control and when I put it inside a "user control or custom control then it does not fir its "SlideShowServiceMethod" at all.   what can I do to correct this? Hi Bcweed966, We suggest that you'd better add a breakpoint to your WebService and debug your application to see whether your WebService is called or not.    If not,  please double check your WebService path.  You can use a debugging tool such as Fiddler, HttpWatch, Web Develpment Helper etc to find out the url which tries to call the We...

OnTextChanged event does not fire on UserName field inside customized CreateUserWizard control
I have OnTextChanged event on UserName field inside customized CreateUserWizard control.For some reason,this event does not fire ? Any tip would be appreciated. Thanks<asp:TextBox ID="UserName" runat="server" OnTextChanged="UserName_TextChanged"></asp:TextBox>protected void UserName_TextChanged(object sender, EventArgs e){        // code goes here } You need to set AutoPostBack = "true" in your TextBox to fire up the event <asp:TextBox ID="UserName" runat="server" OnTextC...

Triggering an Updatepanel (b) based on a gridview rowcommand which is inside a UpdatePanel (a) contained in aTab (ajax controlkit control) control
Hi there,               I have two sections on my aspx page which contain two grids on an aspx page. User and UserDetails. User section has a tab control which contains an update panel upUsers which contains the gridview gvUsers. I have another grid in a different updatepanel upUserDetails this contains a grid too gvUserAccessKeys. I want to refresh the second updatepanel upUserDetails (basically trigger it) based on the RowCommand in the gvUsers which is in the first update panel. I was able to do this till I...

Updatepanel inside tabpanel / All controls inside updatepanel is getting disabled on postback
I've met with a strange behavior from UpdatePanel that it disables all the controls inside it (textbox, dropdown etc disabled) on a postback. This updatepanel is placed inside a tabpanel, so if I 1    tpEdit.Enabled = true;2    upEdit.Update(); something like this on the event of the control which fired the postback then updatepanel works fine. Where tpEdit is the tabpanel and upEdit is the updatepanel inside tpEdit.  What could be the reason for this behavior?  Hi,Thank you for your post!Based on my understanding,  because the updatepan...

Register Events on Control inside Custom Server Control
 I have some dynamically generated LinkButtons inside my custom server control. I never know how many there are going to end up being. I need to bind a 'Command' event to these. I understand that this nieeds to be done in the controls 'OnInit' event. I need to also add items to my server control dynamically in a pages codebehind, which will, in turn, dynamically create more linkbuttons. I'm having trouble keeping both these functionalities in one, as the OnInit event of the server control occurs before the page_Init event of my ASP.Net page.Here's the code of my ...

AJAX: which is better more controls inside one update panel or few controls inside more update panels
hi in form that have many controls , gridview , formview, buttons, textboxes, etc. which is better, put them all in one update panel, or few controls in more update panels? i.e. gridview , formview, buttons, textboxes all in one update panel or gridview in update panel, formview in updat panel, buttons (that text needs to change based on some business rules) in update panel, etc? besides will tables and divs inside update panel affect AJAx performance?! Hi,    Putting too many controls in an update panel will certainly affect the performance. I have certainly faced it. ...

Web resources about - Events not firing on custom control inside FormView inside UpdatePanel - asp.net.ajax-ui

Newest 'internet-explorer-11' Questions - Stack Overflow
current community chat blog Stack Overflow Meta Stack Overflow Stack Overflow Careers your communities Sign up or log in to customize your list. ...

Calendar of Events - St Paul the Apostle Primary, Winston Hills
... Paul the Apostle is a two-stream Catholic parish school in Winston Hills, catering for boys and girls from Kindergarten to Year 6. Hidden UpdatePanel, ...

Drink of the Week - Logicum
Logicum It's Logical to share Menu Skip to content Home Contests Food Recipes Drink of the Week Health Technology Sports Space World Day Weapons ...

Advert-Rotator™ Rotate any type of ad, advert or banner - Welcome
NEW : Google Adsense™ in AJAX Updatepanel - Rotate any type of advertisement on your website. Whether it is Google Adsense™, Flash video or banner, ...

dotnet HighCharts inside UpdatePanel
Read my article about the HighCharts.net databind? A frequently question regards the possibility to get functioning a dotnet.HighCharts chart ...

Blog Archive
Blog Archive 2013 75 Essential Tools for iOS Developers Aug 15 2013 posted in iOS Speaking at Cocoa Conf PDX Jul 13 2013 posted in Speaking In ...

ASP.NET AJAX and jQuery Presentation
... the following demo Visual Studio 2008 projects: ASP.NET AJAX and jQuery Demo Illustrates how to use ASP.NET AJAX (ScriptManager, UpdatePanel, ...

Latest Updates
Latest Updates - Free source code and tutorials for Software developers and Architects.; Updated: 15 Feb 2013

New Release of WatirMaker now WatirRecorder
Rutger Smit & Scott Hanselman have released a new version of WatirMaker, now retitled WatirRecorder. This is a great program for building UI ...

Work smarter: MS AJAX’s JavaScript type extensions
Examples of using Array.contains, Date.format, String.format, and other base type extensions to accelerate ASP.NET AJAX client side development. ...