When To Use Client Side vs Server Side vs AJAX

Before AJAX, it was fairly clear to me where to draw the line between functionality best performed server-side vs client-side.  For example, database access and data processing is done on the server, and basic field validation and other UI stuff is done on the client.  But now with AJAX implemented through Atlas, the line is blured.

I know what can be done... but what is the optimal way to design a web application using Atlas (in terms of what functionality should be implemented server-side versus client-side versus Ajax)?  What is the prevailing programming model?  I would guess that Microsoft is designing Atlas with a certain model in mind, what is it?

A blog article by Nikhilk has some good discussion on this (http://www.nikhilk.net/AtlasProgModel.aspx), but doesn't present a final conclusion.

0
JasonPokorny

I don't think there is one and only one way. There really are two programming models:

- UI logic on the server; communication from the client involves sending input fields to the server, and HTML back to the client.

- UI logic and some app logic on the client; communication is raw data across the wire.

Atlas will support both. The former is a more incremental approach, and is what we enabled with the December release. The latter is a newer model, and we focused on this in our PDC release. Hope to get more info on these put together, but not so much from the perspective of making a final conclusion. Different apps are better suited to different approaches.

Nikhil Kothari

Weblog: http://www.nikhilk.net
0
NikhilKo
12/23/2005 1:08:06 AM

Thanks Nikhil.

To me it seems like this is the big picture direction ASP.NET is going:

Server-side applications without JavaScript do not provide a great user interface. So Atlas provides the advantages of the interactivity provided by JavaScript along with the advantages of server-side programming.

But we are still using server-side technology because:

-server can deliver different content (both HTML and JavaScript) based on the target browser compatibility.  Programmer doesn't need to write separate versions of JavaScript code; instead the programmer writes code at a higher level that is parsed into JavaScript based on browser.

-server allows programer to separate interface code from logic code (code-behind).

-server, through CLR, allows the use of many traditional programming languages (C) to code logic, instead of using JavaScript.

-server-side code, however, is no longer needed to do data access.

--------------------

Now with Atlas, since postbacks are not necessary, an entire application could take place on one .aspx page.  For the user, this would be fine, but for the developer, this would be a nightmare.  All the advantages of separating display code (HTML) from logic code (C#) using the code-behind model would be lost.  I would think the best practice, even with Atlas, would be to do a postback and go to a different .aspx page each time the application requires major changes in the user interface.  Like going from a data entry page to a data display page.  Agree?

Jason

0
JasonPokorny

Client vs. Server Side AJAX.Net
I am curious to know what the advantages and disadvantages are to using the client side declarative style AJAX controls vs. the server side.  I can't seem to think of too many reasons why I would go to the client side libraries when I can use all the power of ASP.NET (debugging, compiling, controls) and just wrap them in a UpdatePanel.   It also seems kind of counter productive to use the client side libraries because they don't utilize all the cool new developments of ASP.NET.  Am  I missing something?  Do the client AJAX libraries give you m...

RegisterAsyncTask vs. server-side AJAX.NET
Hello, I would like to invoke code from my web pages which requires a considerable period of time to run the process. While the processing is taking place, I would like to give the user back the control of the UI to continue to do other things while the process is running. I have been looking into using C#'s callback delegate - IAsyncResult, and then found out that asp.net 2.0 pages provide RegisterAsyncTask. Could someone please explain to me if I should use RegisterAsyncTask, or should I just write the asynchronous handling using IAsyncResult? Also, I've read in books such as A...

Client side vs Server side
I have a button on a web form that when clicked executes the code in the _click procedure.  However, if I have a statement in the _click procedure that (lets just say) sets a label visible, this action is not shown until the procedure has finished and control is returned back to the form. This I assume is because the _click procedure is a server side function?   Conversely java script is on the client side and would show immediate results?  Are these my only options? Is there anything I can do in a _click event that would allow other labels, buttons et...

client-side vs. server-side
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but it seems like you need to pick between the two programming models. I've spent some time working with client-side Ajax -- creating behaviors etc., but I really like being able to use some of the toolkit items.  Right now, I'm trying to use the ModelPopupExtender along with UpdatePanel. It seems to work, that is, I can create a popup using the ModelPopupExtender and have it contain an UpdatePanel which works. However, I want to beable to integrate it with what I've done with the client-side. It seems like the two don't integrate...

Server-Side vs Client-Side ?
I am kind of newbie on "Atlas". Most of my work now are doing with updatepanel and other related controls, not any client script. However, i really want to know - what is the real power of the "Atlas" Client-Side ? Is that the same as UpdatePanel Server-Side control ?  What make these control different and in which way ? Thank you Hi,you can do much more than UpdatePanel stuff. You can do Javascript OOP, use client side templated controls, databinding, create animations and other visual effects, develop gadgets for live.com, create extenders for ASP.NET server controls...My sugg...

Client side vs Server Side queries
IDM 3.5.1 UA 3.5.1 Patch U. This just came up in discussion.... When you search and resolve a user in User App, who does the query via LDAP against the directory? UA or the client browser? The obvious consequence is that if it is the client, then the client machine needs LDAP access to the LDAP server... Which is no where near a given in most environments... Also, all the various queries possible back against the directory (IDVAult.get IDVault.globaleQuery and others) how do they answer for the question posed above? (Obviously if you include an ECMA based LDAP search...

Server-side execution vs. client-side
Hello, I am doing aspx web programming using vb asp.net in MS Visual Studio.  I am trying to make my program to when the user clicks on a button that my program launches another software package that we own (in this case the other software package is called Syteline).  The way that I am trying to accomplish this is via the CreateObject function route.  My program is running on the web server.  While I am sitting on the server that contains this Syteline application, I open up Internet Explorer and launch my web program.  When I click on the button, it gives me ...

Server side cursors vs client side.
I'm having a problem with running data window sourced by stored procedures. The error says that I need to enable server side cursors or clients side cursors, or something like that. I wish I could say more because this morning I'm getting empty error messageboxes from the datawindow instead of the fll error message. How do I successfully deal with store procedures? Newbie to EAServer 5.2, Appeon 3.1, SQL Server 5000, PB 10.2.1 -- Mark Schupay KSI Solutions, LLC 724-316-6782 Here is the error message... [com.appeon.server.services.dataservice.JDataServe...

Using VS 2005 Express Edition side by side with VS 2002
Hi everybody,    Can VS 2005 Express Edition run side-by-side without affecting each others projects and applications, new and existing ones? Can you provide info link where it is stated? Can I install any or all express edition without an affect on existing applications and new application created using VS 2002. Thanks.   den2005 Yes, VS 2005 can coexist with VS 2002 and VS 2003. You can install multiple Express editions and they won't affect each other. Note that VS 2005 installs .NET 2.0 framework. If you want to run both .NET 1.0 and 2.0 Web apps on the same IIS, you ...

client side validation vs server side validation
hello  i see a web form that consists of three controls :textbox,requiredfieldvalidator that weired to the textbox and a button within the click event of the button there is the following: if page.isvalid then response.redirect("Page is valid") else response.redirect("Page is not valid") end if according to my understandings: when the user does not fill anything in the textbox and then clicks the button the the page will not be submitted (i.e no request to the page will be happened or no postback will be happened) then no server event will be happened so it is sure when the us...

Quetion on server side vs client side coding
 hi all,           i have a quetion on server side vs client side coding and the quetion is : suppose that i have a page named A.aspx then will the all coding in A.aspx.cs (code behind file) will be server side?will it mean all the code executed in the server?and inline code file also will be executed in server as i found every control with runat="server" then where is the client side code and where we require client side coding. can you give me pls any example of client side code. thanks This is the place to learn ev...

Client-Side scripting vs Server-Side scripting
hello I need an article that spaeks about Client-Side scripting vs Server-Side scripting,and when i need to use one of them thank you for the help and for the time here are some good links to a bunch of articles on that subject...

client side script Vs Server side Script
Which is better ? Using Client Side validations with Java Script or Using Server Side validation controls provided in asp.net You should use both... Client-side for a rich user experience and server-side to support browsers without javascript support or with javascript turned off....

Knowing About validation Server side vs Client Side
 Hi, Forum  Members I am working on asp .net having frame work 2.0 i used java script validation but some of my friends using server side  validation  by knowing from text book client side validation makes better performance than Server side but in asp .net there is form ='Run At Server 'Attribute which means what i have writeAny thing  in asp.net form that will execute at Server then the validation i have wite in java script will they execute at Server it makes me confuse So if Any Body have Idea on This Validation Then Write to me Which is Better Fo...

Web resources about - When To Use Client Side vs Server Side vs AJAX - asp.net.ajax-discussion

Fat client - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the name is contrasted to thin client , which describes a computer heavily dependent on a server's applications. A fat client still requires ...

Facebook Forms EMEA Client Council
Facebook announced the formation of its EMEA Client Council in a post in Spanish on the Facebook for Business page by vice president for Europe, ...

Facebook hires: Carsabi team, head of policy France, marketing mix science lead, client partners and ...
... Manager (Prineville) Chief Facility Engineer (Prineville) SMB Associate, French (Dublin) User Operations – Contract (Menlo Park) Client ...

Lawyer labels client 'stupid' after New Year text to ex lands him behind bars for a week
Man's five days in prison for New Year text was significant "wake-up call", lawyer says.

Acquire Learning casts 'a very dark shadow' over its clients
The desperate and jobless are sold hope, but all they are buying is debt "You can hear it in how these clients talk," says a former call-centre ...

Back In The Race: Should You Let Your Clients Pay You In 2016?
It can offer you tax benefits, but you need to consider your client's present and future circumstances.

The 2015 Awards Report: See the World's Most Creative Agencies, Campaigns and Clients
We present the winners of our 2015 Awards Report, highlighting the most creatively celebrated companies and personalities of the year. As you'll ...

Anchorage Assembly candidate drops out rather than reveal tutoring clients
... Anchorage Budget Advisory Commission, has withdrawn a bid for the Assembly because she did not want to list the names and addresses of clients ...

Spotlight On NW Creative: Fell Swoop And Its Unique Client Mix
After living in Seattle for a few years, it’s become clear to me that many shops here struggle to capture significant business from clients headquartered ...

SanDisk Announces X400 Client SSD for OEMs
... Like the X300, the X400 uses TLC NAND flash and relies on SLC-mode write caching to provide competitive write speeds. SanDisk OEM Client SSD ...