What is going on!!!! Global.System.Web.UI.ScriptManager Error 696 Type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' is not defined.

Ok, I thought yesterday this was a problem with VS 2005.  I properly installed the AJAX framework 1.0.  Updated the web.config.

The stupid designer file for my aspx keeps complaining about both the ScriptManager control and all UpdatePanel controls I threw onto the page and so when I try to build, it keeps giving me this error in the .designer file of my aspx!  About a half hour ago, I rendered the page just fine with these controls!

Type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' is not defined.

Type 'System.Web.UI.UpdatePanel' is not defined.

 When I thought this problem was just a bug, I had done the following and it just quietly for no reason went away, but not it's back.  Here's what I did yesterday to get this stupid crap to quit complaning (yea, frustrated is a small way to put it here in regards to my lose talk):

 1) I had both the aspx & it's designer.vb file open in VS 2005

2) I tried taking those controls out and readding them.  As I look at the designer, it is changing dynamically as it should with each change to my aspx

3) After 2 hours of this crap, and still getting these errors, I said hmm, let me close VS....a collegue said he had been getting this weirdness also in other stuff he was coding after moving back to this new team at corporate.  Maybe it's their code but right now, my code looks great!

 4) After I reopened VS, the stupid errors went away

 Today I was working for half the day on the same files and others.  All of a sudden, I go get coffee.  The last change I did was to add a ../ in an absolute path to a CSS link inside my aspx.  I swear that's it.  I come back, try to build and WAM!

When is Microsoft going to get rid of VB.NET!
0
dba123

I didn't face this pro but i am sure if u face this problem then there must be a problem within Assembly reference.

Have u ever tried to add reference of System.Web.Extensions ?

Please mark as Answer if it helps u. Thanks!

Parth Patel
Techsture Technologies
Software Developer
Ahmedabad
0
Coool
4/11/2007 5:28:37 AM

I discussed with Dave in email and he isn't seeing this issue anymore.  However, if you do encounter code generation issues in the *.designer.cs for specific objects on the page, one recommendation is to manually declare those objects in the *.aspx.cs file and the designer will not try to generate them again.  This is a one time fixup that should ensure problem pages or objects don't try to do field code generation in complex situations.

Hope this helps.

Omar Khan
Visual Web Developer Team
0
omar_k
4/11/2007 6:12:05 PM
Well yesterday i created one AJAX Enabled page and i got the same error and believe me i could cop up with it as just i suggested in my previous post.
Please mark as Answer if it helps u. Thanks!

Parth Patel
Techsture Technologies
Software Developer
Ahmedabad
0
Coool
4/12/2007 5:40:38 AM

I had the same problem and vowed not to go for coffee since that is what seemed to cause the error again for Dave :)

 Anyway, I didnt have System.Web.Extensions as a reference for the project.  Once that was added all the green squiggly lines disappeared and it compiled fine.  Hope this helps someone not pull as much of their hair out!

 - Glenda

- Glenda
1
ggable
5/10/2007 8:08:45 PM

Thanks all.

I have had so many times where I would add a control to whatever project on my aspx and it would just not register/be created in its corresponding designer file in VS.  This does for  many different aspx, not just a particular aspx.

I had other co-workers who got the same  problems.  We never had these issues where I worked previously a few months ago as we were coding C# projects, some were 1.1 projects, most 2.0.  Now, having to go back to corporate, these guys had converted their VB.NET 1.1 projects using the VS 2005 conversion tool.  I believe that this may be why these projects (all of them) have what I deem as a bug in .NET...whereas if you try any of this, it doesn't make a difference:

1) tried to move from source to design view in hopes that the designer would pick up whatever control it wasn't creating in the designer file whenever I had this problem

2) tried to take the control completely out of the aspx page, save, then put it back in with hopes that the designer file may say hey, look something changed, I need to create that definition now

...etc.

 none of these worked.

 I ended up just manually creating whatever controls that intermittently decide not to want to create in the desinger file by just copying an existing definition in whatever designer file that is related to a particular page I'm working on and just change the control type and save.  Manually adding it works but I'm just stumped at why I had to continually hit my head against the wall when VS just decides not to add it when it feels like it.  Sometimes, in these instances, VS also decides that hey, today, I know you've been geting the error but I'll just make it go away...and walla, the error is gone...

 Anyway, adding it manually is what i'm doing to get around this when this happens. It happens to any type of control.  Most of the time the designer file is fine, but once in a while it just decides to be naughty...

When is Microsoft going to get rid of VB.NET!
0
dba123
5/11/2007 3:21:05 AM
and I can guarantee you this is a common problem with not only I but I can guarantee most of the user base out there in the world.
When is Microsoft going to get rid of VB.NET!
0
dba123
5/11/2007 3:22:52 AM

I had the same problem for a long time and finally found a solution that worked for me.  What I did was right click on the project, go to Add Reference, under .NET add references to System.Web.Extensions & System.Web.Extensions.Design.

I hope this helps you too.

0
Kingofnothing
5/15/2007 2:39:25 PM

Hi i am not able to add reference i mean i m not getting System.Web.Extension under Add reference tag for .NET?

I have installed ajaxwebextension2.0 on my pc and in source file

%@ Register Assembly="Microsoft.Web.Extensions,  is there

But not getting System.Web.UI.ScriptManager getting error here that ScriptManager is not in System.Web.UI assembly?

What is wrong here?

Sorry for bad english.

0
raj_hpking

Error Message: Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterClientScriptBlock(System.Web.UI.Page, System.Type, System.String, System.String, Boolean)'.
  I have a website which is running on IIS 5.1. Wen ever I am trying to access any page based on .net framework 2.0 I get this error Error Message: Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterClientScriptBlock(System.Web.UI.Page, ...

Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)'. error
Hi,  I have used the Animation control of the Ajax Control Toolkit successfully on my local PC. The web site was successfully launched on a third party hosting company. Recently, I had to change to another third party hosting company and now I get the following error on the page where I used the Animation control. All other pages are working fine. Does any one know how I can resolve this error?   Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during t...

Problem with AjaxControl kit error Compiler Error Message: CS0433: The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad364
I'm trying to use the Tabs from the Ajaxcontrol kit.I have installed Ajax WebExtension 1.0 to the server i'm runnig the apps fromI'm sure the version of my Ajaxcontrol kit and the System.Web.Extensions i'm trying to use is 1.0.61025. But it seems the one on 3.5 is also there since the server has been updated to v3.5 .net framework I get this error below:  Compiler Error Message: CS0433: The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll...

'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)'
It code worked fine on my PC..but gettting following message on server.... 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)'  i checked this thread http://forums.asp.net/p/1123792/1869084.aspx#1869084  but it doesn't help me...  My Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right." Updating global assembly cache of server, solved this error Some how installation is not updating GAC..so you have to do it manuallyMy Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwis...

Error: Cannot convert type 'System.Web.UI.Control' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.ButtonField'
Hello, I am getting the following error during compiliation. Any suggestions to fix it. Thanks. Cannot convert type 'System.Web.UI.Control' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.ButtonField' protected void gvEvents_RowCommand(Object sender, GridViewCommandEventArgs e) { if (e.CommandName == "Select") { int index = Convert.ToInt32(e.CommandArgument); GridViewRow selectedRow = gvEvents.Rows[index]; string sID; ButtonField btn; if (selectedRow.RowType == DataControlRowType.DataRow) { sID = ((ButtonField)selectedRow.FindControl("ID")).DataTextFi...

Error Serializing Value 'System.Web.UI.WebCOntrols.TreeNode' of type 'System.Web.UI.WebCOntrols.TreeNode'
Hi, I am  getting the error stated in the subject when i am storing a TreeNode in a ViewState and then using it as follows if (ViewState["ProductCounty"]!=null) { TreeNode _productCountyNode = DataTree.FindNode(((TreeNode)ViewState["ProductCounty"]).ValuePath); _productCountyNode.Expand(); } what could be causing this error? Hi, I believe TreeNode isn't serializable in a way its required for objects which can be put to ViewState - as reference - (TreeNode implements IStateManager and is meant to work together with TreeView itself saving it...

Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)'
I downloaded the 10618 version and can not get it working.  The sample website that comes with the release gives me this error on every page I try to browse. Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)' Stack Trace: [MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void System.Web.UI.ScriptManager.RegisterHiddenField(System.Web.UI.Page, System.String, System.String)'.]   AjaxControlToolkit.ToolkitScriptManager.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +0   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +47&n...

Error 1 The type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinqDataSource' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\asse
Once I build project. I encounter this error. Does someone experience this error?Error    1    The type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinqDataSource' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.6.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll'    D:\Source Code\Linq_Lesson5\Default.aspx    1    1    D:\Source Code\Linq_Lesson5\  It appears tha...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.LiteralControl' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'
Hello, Goal: enter a number in two fields HoursPerUnit and PeoplePerUnit and the value for the third field, TotalHoursPerUnit will populate after the the number in the two fields have been caculated.  Using the code below I receive the error message above.  Please tell me what am I doing wrong? Do I need to cast the text as a literal?  Please help? Thank you in advance, <%@ Page Language="VB" MasterPageFile="Default.master" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="frmHR.aspx.vb" Inherits="frmHR"...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.LiteralControl' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'.
Hi, any idea why I'm getting the following error?Line 45: protected void CartGrid_RowUpdating(object sender, System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewUpdateEventArgs e) Line 46: { Line 47: TextBox QuantityTextBox = (TextBox)CartGrid.Rows[e.RowIndex].Cells[2].Controls[0]; Line 48: int Quantity = Convert.ToInt32(QuantityTextBox.Text); Line 49: Are you sure that the control at CartGrid.Rows[e.RowIndex].Cells[2].Controls[0] isn't a LiteralControl?  How are you creating code this in your code?Brent JenkinsASP.NET, C#, Web Developerwww.valewebdesign.co.uk  ...

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Label' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.TextBox'

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.FormView' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList'.
Hi,  I have a formview with a dropdownlist created dynamically. i want to determine whether the dropdownlist was clicked. the code is written in the FormView1_DataBound method. I get the following error in the line below that is in italics and underlined: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.FormView' to type 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList'.   Here is my code: ddl_iFullname = New DropDownList ddl_iFullname.ID = "ddl_iFullname" ddl_iFullname.DataSource = ObjectDataSource3 ddl_iFullname.DataTextField = "fullname" ddl_iFullname.DataValueField = "...

its type (System.Web.UI.ScriptManager) is not compatible with the type of control (System.Web.UI.ScriptManager).
Parser Error Message: The base class includes the field 'ScriptManager1', but its type (System.Web.UI.ScriptManager) is not compatible with the type of control (System.Web.UI.ScriptManager). Line 19: <div class="demo-area">Line 20:   <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" EnablePartialRendering="true" runat="server" /> I dragged a scriptManager control from the toolbox (also having same problem with an UpdatePanel control), and when I try to run the webapp, I get the error message above - specifically - in the ...

ASPNET2 HELP! CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Web.UI.Control' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.FileUpload'.
Server Error in '/start-movieposters' Application. Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: CS0266: Cannot implicitly convert type 'System.Web.UI.Control' to 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.FileUpload'. An explicit conversion exists (are you missing a cast?) Source Error: ...

Web resources about - What is going on!!!! Global.System.Web.UI.ScriptManager Error 696 Type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' is not defined. - asp.net.ajax-discussion