Does Visual Studio .NET 2003 (version 7.1.3088) & NET Framework 1.1 support AJAX ?

Dear friend,
1. Does Visual Studio .NET 2003 (version 7.1.3088) & NET Framework 1.1 support AJAX ?
2.  i don't know if i can implement AJAX for my case below ? pls advise...
i have built a windows application to connect to a card reader DLL,

but right now i have to build it for web application..and it's a real challenge since i have blank idea...

i also write the source code for the windows application below , for analysis...

the case is like these :
--------------------------
1. we have a card reader (usb port connection)...

2. we must connect this reader to client computer (there are some clients in different cities)....
we think to use internet connection...and it means we have to use web application (ASP .NET and javascript and webserver.)

3. reader's function is to read and write from a card, whereas the card's source data is from database (ASP .NET)

4. firstly, i tried to add reference in ASP .NET web application to the reader's DLL,
but it can not make a live event trigger/connection to the clients since the DLL is installed in the web server...

5. then i think of other solution :
client side programming..
and i install the reader's DLL in client computer...so reader can interact lively...

6. but i don't know how to use DLL event, trigger in client side programming...
should we use JavaScript or AJAX ?

the DLL has event that is listening to the USB port all the time to check if any card is detected (it also has Timer function)..
and also it returns the status all the time ...
actually we must use List1 to add the status (string) to the List1 all the time.....
i don't know how to use this event in web application..

7. if we use DLL in Javascript, how to communicate with ASP .NET if we want to distribute data
(queried by database through ASP .NET) to the DLL in client side so that it can write to the card via reader ?

8.
the reader always detects card (listen to usb port).....
if there's no card detected then the reader will output messages :
( X ) No TAG Selected or in Reachable Range : -3000
( X ) No TAG Selected or in Reachable Range : -3000
( X ) No TAG Selected or in Reachable Range : -3000
( X ) No TAG Selected or in Reachable Range : -3000

if a card is detected, a new message is triggered
and an event is triggered ....

could you help me how to do it properly???

Thank you,
hendy

0
hanusin