Does AJAX.NET work with SQL server connections?

All,

 I have an application that uses SQL server as backend. The application has 5 drop down lists and the contents of the bottom 4 list depends on the item selected in drop down list 1 (think of it as cascading drop down lists if you will). Each of these lists pull data from a SQL database. The application works fine - the only issue is the delay in pulling data. I tried to "ajaxify" this (by including a ScriptManager, UpdatePanel and doing the necessary web.config edits), but it doesn't do the trick.

Is there a better solution for this? I looked at the Cascading drop down list video, which uses the Ajax Control Toolkit, but that requires a webservice and I'm not sure if that fits for my application. Any thoughts/comments/ideas?

~ Vivek

0
VivekSriAus

Hey,

Most likely, the delay is network related, which AJAX isn't going to solve... AJAX could make it more user friendly by using the update progress control.  Cascading drop down works pretty nice, and the web service could be an inner page method.  I forget how that all works, but it isn't hard at all.

Brian

"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4).
0
bmains
10/17/2007 8:26:20 PM

AJAX or not, you should look into caching the data if the database is a bottleneck.

Encosia - ASP.NET, AJAX, and more.

Latest article: Using complex types to make calling services less… complex
0
gt1329a
10/18/2007 12:30:06 AM

VivekSriAus:
I tried to "ajaxify" this (by including a ScriptManager, UpdatePanel and doing the necessary web.config edits), but it doesn't do the trick

When the drop downs contains many items (large viewstate!), the updatepanel solution could be slow.

Try cascading dropdown from the toolkit also, if it doesn't speed up, the db could be weak point.

0
stmarti
10/18/2007 7:50:31 AM

Yup, Cascading Dropdown works like a charm

0
VivekSriAus

Old AJAX in .NET 1.1 compatibility with .NET framework 2.0. Ajax does not work always ....................
Hello,I have converted the web site from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0. Some of the pages in the web site use AJAX which was developed in .NET 1.1Ajax does not work smoothly in .NET 2.0. Do I have to use ATLAS or is there any fix I can use to make the AJAX work ?Please let me know. Many thanks in advance. Nick..........

Does anyone know of either an ajax.net blog available or an 'inline editor' for ajax.net?
Hey all:  I'm desperately trying to find an AJAX control (I don't care if it's currently for ASP.NET AJAX.NET, since if not, I'll do the conversion and make it available to others) for creating blogs and another inline editor control, so that if there is text on the page, I can click on the text and it will automatically display an editor and allow me to edit the text/html.  Does anyone know of a control like this that's AJAX enabled?  Especially AJAX.NET.  I'm only interested in open-source, since any improvements I make I will make available on codeplex.com Thanks in...

Calling a server method from the client with Ajax.NET Professional, it works but....
Okay, I'm not sure if this belongs in the Ajax Control Toolkit section or in here.  It does deal with the control, but I think it deals more with Ajax.NET Professional.  I'm sorry if it is in the wrong spot.  I've been trying to figure out how to enable/disable a bunch of animationExtenders whenever an object's onmouseover event fires.  Here is the solution that I ended up using: First, I am using Ajax.NET Professional.  I based my solution off of the following example: http://www.ajaxpro.info/quickguide.aspx I have all of my Anima...

AJAX.net doesn't work on production server?
So everything works perfectly on my dev computer (even in iis on XP), but it won't work at all on the production machine.  Here are the errors I've gotten and what I've done. First I got an error saying it can't find an assembly, so I added System.Web.Extensions and System.Web.Extensions.Design to the bin folder.  Why aren't these assemblies added automatically and why would it work on the development box with out the assemblies in the bin folder but it won't work on the production server? After I did that I got a message about how my pages weren&#...

Web Server Controls
Is there any documentation showing what is required to equip a server-side WebControl to work with AJAX.NET?   I have some VERY simple WebControls that fire "Click" events.   One of them consistantly causes the entire page to refresh, while the other doesn't.   But they are both doing the same thing.    For some reason, one seems to not work with AJAX.NET, while the other does.    Both of them are wrapped inside an UpdatePanel and ContentTemplate - but behave differently under AJAX.NET.   Mysterious. I can't tell if the...

Troubleshoot Web Service; Ajax AutoComplete events do not appear to not fire; Ajax web service appears to not work. .NET
Folks, I had the situation that Ajax AutoComplete events in the web service did not fire after I copied a project out of a folder, renamed it and moved it to a server. The fix was hard to find but easy to solve. I had some web service modules in an ASMX file that provided AutoComplete entries -- i.e., after the user keys in 2 or 3 characters, the list of possible entries with those leading characters is displayed for the user to select. To solve the problem, look at the web service's directive, not the code-behind or the ASMX designer.  Do a right-mouse-click...

Trying to get a 2.0 site (with AJAX.NET) working on Server 2000
I recently wrote an application using AJAX.NET (and obvioulsy .NET 2.0).  When I went to publish the site on the server I realized that neither .NET 2.0 or AJAX.NET were installed.   I downloaded both and installed.  Rebooted the server to be sure.   After I created the virtual directory, I went to check the site.  I got a parse error ont he web.config file, immediately I realized that I forgot to set the site to 2.0 from 1.1 (like I do EVERY SINGLE TIME, but that is not here nor there).    The wierd thing is, is that once I switched over to 2.0 when...

AJax need to connect to SQL Server 2005 Server.
I have Created a page that gets the another asp.net page. on this page it loads a image in a table and i want to be able to pull the image from the datase and use it. that is not the problem. if i just put the image in all works fine.but if i try to use a dataview select it can no loge get the page in AJAX. the other way works great. If i have to change something great but i do have to atleast het a row in the sql database. But like i said if i try to use the database i get an error. here is my code. Thank you in advance with any help. AJAX script:  1 function getPage (url) { 2 ...

Connecting SQL server to the net?
Hi all.  Im using Visual Web developer 2005 and have successfully connected my SQL Server to Visual Web developer website.  When i run it locally, its fine.  But, i now would like the site to be placed on the net - but im not sure how to connect it properly in the webhost.  Can someone tell me how this is done please, or a link?  cheers. You can add a connection string on web.config file <connectionStrings> <add name="connectioname" connectionString="server=database server;uid=username; pwd=pasword; database=databasename;"/> &l...

AJAX.Net not working in IE7
Hi all! Super nOOb here! Perhaps this is has already been answered,  but please forgive this nOOb. Problem:  I have a site with 1 master page and several content pages. When using the Accordion control(from the Ajax toolkit)it works great in Firefox 2.0, but not in IE7. I built it just like in the Vid tutorial(with the exception of using master pages). The links in the header do Not fire in IE7, but they work great in FF2.0 Any suggestions/ help would be greatly appreciated. TY Hi, can you please provide the least amount of relevant code to reproduce the error? Without code...

How to AJAX.NET website to server?
What exactly is needed to move my AJAX.NET website from my development machine to the central production server? Does AJAX.NET and the Control Toolkit have to be installed on the server as well? I'm hoping there's a way to host it w/o any additional software installation, because cutting through the red tape is going to be tough...   Thanks! Only the AJAX.NET (I assume you use the Microsoft ASP.NET AJAX implementation) must be installed on the server. The control toolkit is a separate DLLRichardhttp://www.richardsoeteman.net richardsoeteman.net:Only the AJAX.NET (I assu...

Web resources about - Does AJAX.NET work with SQL server connections? - asp.net.ajax-discussion

The Direct Connection

Is There A Connection Between Patrick Murphy's Over-The-Top Corruption And His Campaign Emails?
The DCCC may be stupid or even very stupid (as well as utterly incompetent) but their e-mail strategy is very well-planned out. Their overarching ...

Cross-cultural Connections and Exchange: international study is more important than ever
... And, as a minority of ill-intentioned individuals and groups do their best to create divides, we need citizens equipped to create connections ...

Connection And Collaboration In the Cloud
Forbes technology editor Bruce Upbin deconstructs the cloud and maps its potential to your life.

Mali arrests 2 in connection with deadly hotel attack
Mali arrests 2 in connection with deadly hotel attack