Could not load type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptReferenceBase' from assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.

on my localhost, everything is working just fine, developing a few hours... then i publish to another server (windows server 2003)...
and suddenly my website is broken. i could track i down to a scriptreference in my scriptmanager - which used to work perfectly.
now i don't know where it went wrong - because i developed several things, including the addition of autocomplete textbox with the control toolkit
but even after removing all the code for the autocomplete textbox, the problem wasn't solved.
i seem to be the first one to have this problem, because google doesn't return anything (useful)
anyone got an idea? in the meantime i'm using the workaround by including the js file like in the old days
  <asp:ScriptManager ID="sm1" runat="server" EnableScriptGlobalization="true">

<Scripts>

<asp:ScriptReference NotifyScriptLoaded="true" Path="/scripts/login.js" />

</Scripts>

<Services>

<asp:ServiceReference Path ="/services/TopService.asmx" />

</Services>

</asp:ScriptManager>

Error Message: Could not load type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptReferenceBase' from assembly 'System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.
Source: App_Web_masterpage.master.7371103c
StackTrace:    at ASP.masterpages_masterpage_master.__BuildControl__control6()
   at ASP.masterpages_masterpage_master.__BuildControlsm1()
   at ASP.masterpages_masterpage_master.__BuildControlform1()
   at ASP.masterpages_masterpage_master.__BuildControlbody()
   at ASP.masterpages_masterpage_master.__BuildControlTree(masterpages_masterpage_master __ctrl)
   at ASP.masterpages_masterpage_master.FrameworkInitialize()
   at System.Web.UI.UserControl.InitializeAsUserControlInternal()
   at System.Web.UI.MasterPage.CreateMaster(TemplateControl owner, HttpContext context, VirtualPath masterPageFile, IDictionary contentTemplateCollection)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.get_Master()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ApplyMasterPage()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

0
inmykingdom

Strange,

I just got exactly the same error. Does anyone have a solution?

Thomas

0
thomasvsundert
6/10/2008 2:46:04 PM

My problem was solved by changing the ToolkitScriptManager-control on my page into a regular ScriptManager.

This does however not explain the behavior and I'd rather still be using the ToolkitScriptManager, so does anyone recognize this? Performing a web search for the System.Web.UI.ScriptReferenceBase-type shows it doesn't even seem to exist (except for a reference on a Brazilian msdn-page).

Thomas

0
thomasvsundert
6/11/2008 9:34:01 AM

I'm not even using a ToolkitScriptManager - I was already using the .NET 3.5 ScriptManager.

This is getting even weirder. Anyone know where we can report this as a possible bug?

0
inmykingdom
6/11/2008 9:39:11 AM

strange..even i am getting the same error. I had no problem compiling the project locally. But once I had the project on windows server 2003 i started getting this error.

Please let me know if you find any solution.

-Thanks

0
yousuf1984
6/11/2008 9:36:45 PM

bump

0
inmykingdom
6/17/2008 10:55:50 AM

When I install Visual Studio SP1 beta, I no longer have the error.

Thomas

0
thomasvsundert
6/17/2008 4:15:00 PM

ok..I think I know it now. I installed VS 2008 service pack on my desktop and the windows server 2003 doesnt have the framework 3.5 sp1 installed. May be that's the reason I am not getting error on my local computer but getting on the server. Hope that the reason :-)

-Yousuf

0
yousuf1984
6/17/2008 10:23:33 PM

yousuf1984:

ok..I think I know it now. I installed VS 2008 service pack on my desktop and the windows server 2003 doesnt have the framework 3.5 sp1 installed. May be that's the reason I am not getting error on my local computer but getting on the server. Hope that the reason :-)

-Yousuf

i believe you're correct! i also have the 3.5 sp1 beta installed... and the server doesn't have it installed

0
inmykingdom
6/18/2008 7:11:23 AM

yousuf1984:

ok..I think I know it now. I installed VS 2008 service pack on my desktop and the windows server 2003 doesnt have the framework 3.5 sp1 installed. May be that's the reason I am not getting error on my local computer but getting on the server. Hope that the reason :-)

-Yousuf

That is, in fact, the reason. Why it occurs is explained on my blog:

http://geekswithblogs.net/LessonsLearned/archive/2008/08/21/hidden-surprises-in-.net-3.5-service-pack-1.aspx

0
Randolpho
8/21/2008 5:21:57 PM

Change: <ajaxToolkit:ToolkitScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />

to: <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />

0
Franco1g
11/21/2008 1:52:22 AM
Thanks much Franco1g!!!  That did the trick!
0
belmhorst