Client vs. Server Side AJAX.Net

I am curious to know what the advantages and disadvantages are to using the client side declarative style AJAX controls vs. the server side.  I can't seem to think of too many reasons why I would go to the client side libraries when I can use all the power of ASP.NET (debugging, compiling, controls) and just wrap them in a UpdatePanel.

 It also seems kind of counter productive to use the client side libraries because they don't utilize all the cool new developments of ASP.NET.  Am  I missing something?  Do the client AJAX libraries give you more flexibility?  Can the two, client and server libraries, be used together in one site?  Just curious to see how people are using one vs. the other and the benefits.  Thanks-

0
jzadroga

while everyone has got its opinions and feelings about the server-centric and client-centric programming models, IMHO one thing must be stated clearly: all the MS AJAX stuff is built on top of the client-side library, from the UpdatePanel to all the Control Toolkit extenders (that wrap special client-side components called "behaviors") to the drag and drop functionality, templated client controls, bindings, transformers, declarative syntax, animations...

The power comes from the client-side library :)

Alessandro Gallo | Blog | My book: ASP.NET AJAX In Action
0
Garbin
10/4/2006 8:07:13 PM

IMHO with the server side approach using UpdatePanel you have more productivity, because you can work as always, using ASP.NET control, events, properties, etc.

However performance can be better if you use a client side approach.

Just attach Fiddler tool to your browser and observe what goes on the wire when you use UpdatePanel ("server approach") and, for example, the CascadingDropDown behavior ("client approach").

So I think it's a balance between productivity and performance.

0
leodippolito

When To Use Client Side vs Server Side vs AJAX
Before AJAX, it was fairly clear to me where to draw the line between functionality best performed server-side vs client-side.  For example, database access and data processing is done on the server, and basic field validation and other UI stuff is done on the client.  But now with AJAX implemented through Atlas, the line is blured.  I know what can be done... but what is the optimal way to design a web application using Atlas (in terms of what functionality should be implemented server-side versus client-side versus Ajax)?  What is the prev...

RegisterAsyncTask vs. server-side AJAX.NET
Hello, I would like to invoke code from my web pages which requires a considerable period of time to run the process. While the processing is taking place, I would like to give the user back the control of the UI to continue to do other things while the process is running. I have been looking into using C#'s callback delegate - IAsyncResult, and then found out that asp.net 2.0 pages provide RegisterAsyncTask. Could someone please explain to me if I should use RegisterAsyncTask, or should I just write the asynchronous handling using IAsyncResult? Also, I've read in books such as AJAX In Action about a distinction between client-side AJAX and server-side AJAX. What is the distinction between the two? And how is server-side AJAX different from IAsyncResult / RegisterAsyncTask? Most of the articles about RegisterAsyncTask are dated to the end of 2005, does this mean RegisterAsyncTask is deprecated by AJAX.NET?  Regards, Alex Starting your long running task through a web service might be an easier way to go about that.Encosia - ASP.NET, AJAX, and more.Latest article: Using complex types to make calling services less… complex Alex, There are many ways to give feedback to a user using ASP.NET AJAX.  If you use an UpdatePanel, you can use my approach for a Modal UpdateProgress with an UpdatePanel.  Here's the article: http://blogs.visoftinc.com/archive/2008/03/13/Modal-UpdateProgress-for-UpdatePanel-Revisited.aspx and here is a simple...

What is the server side set-up for the .NET AJAX Toolkit?
Every time i set up a new website as an "AJAX Control Toolkit Website" I get all kinds of errors stemming from the web.config file? Is there a tutorial somewhere on this site I haven't found in my hours of research? The site I am trying to run this with is tunning ASP.NET 2.2 Is there anyone out there who might know the answer to this. All I am getting is errors... There must be some problem with your installation of the Control Toolkit in VS 2005... What errors are you getting after creating a project? Nuno Agapitowww.infortucano.ptDon't forget to click "Mark as Answer&q...

Does anyone know of either an ajax.net blog available or an 'inline editor' for ajax.net?
Hey all:  I'm desperately trying to find an AJAX control (I don't care if it's currently for ASP.NET AJAX.NET, since if not, I'll do the conversion and make it available to others) for creating blogs and another inline editor control, so that if there is text on the page, I can click on the text and it will automatically display an editor and allow me to edit the text/html.  Does anyone know of a control like this that's AJAX enabled?  Especially AJAX.NET.  I'm only interested in open-source, since any improvements I make I will make available on codeplex.com Thanks in advance for any pointer to a download page or pointers to a control that could be enhanced to do what I want... Anyone?  Buehler?  If anyone is looking for one, if I can find a reasonable facsimile, my work on it would benefit you too. ;-) <Most> all of the text editors out there are 'ajax' enabled - just not Microsoft Ajax enabled.  All of the popular ones like tinyMCE, FCKEditor and FTB (FreeTextBox) can be used with Microsoft Ajax by utilizing a 'wrapper approach'.  John Dyer (FTB author) was at one time looking for someone(s) to assist in getting FTB 3.0 compatible with Ajax before rolling out his new version...Other than that if I remember correctly in the MSDN Magazine archives was an article on creating a 'rich text' editor control. Those that do not use those use third party commercial components...hence why no real answers to this question.......

Old AJAX in .NET 1.1 compatibility with .NET framework 2.0. Ajax does not work always ....................
Hello,I have converted the web site from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0. Some of the pages in the web site use AJAX which was developed in .NET 1.1Ajax does not work smoothly in .NET 2.0. Do I have to use ATLAS or is there any fix I can use to make the AJAX work ?Please let me know. Many thanks in advance. Nick..........

Using AJAX and client side scripting with .NET objects?
I'm wanting to use client-side scripting and AJAX with some drop down boxes.  I can't seem to do this with server-side .NET objects... changing the runat tag doesn't do anything either.  How can I expose .NET server objects so that they are affected by java script and AJAX? Depends on what, exactly, you're trying to do with them.  If you just need access to the html properties (e.g. selectedValue), then you simply grab them as if they were their html equivilants (select element) in javascript.  If you want to pass custom properties back and forth (or any .Net property ...

Good articles on client-side callbacks in .net AJAX?
Not sure where to put this so sorry if its in the wrong place.  I have just watched the video - "Make Client-Side Network Callbacks with ASP.NET AJAX?" (http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/video-79.aspx ). Which is very helpful but I would like to know more about doing this. Anyone know of any good articles/sites with information on client-side callbacks in .NET AJAX? I can find plenty of articles on other implementations of AJAX but none for the asp.net AJAX. Cheers for any help. Hi,and welcome to the ASP.NET forums.You're going to find a lot of interesting artic...

Calling a server method from the client with Ajax.NET Professional, it works but....
Okay, I'm not sure if this belongs in the Ajax Control Toolkit section or in here.  It does deal with the control, but I think it deals more with Ajax.NET Professional.  I'm sorry if it is in the wrong spot.  I've been trying to figure out how to enable/disable a bunch of animationExtenders whenever an object's onmouseover event fires.  Here is the solution that I ended up using: First, I am using Ajax.NET Professional.  I based my solution off of the following example: http://www.ajaxpro.info/quickguide.aspx I have all of my Anima...

How to call server side function by javascript using Ajax.Net
Sir, I want to call the server side function by javascript function. Is it possible using Ajax.Net (System.Web.Extensions.dll or AjaxControlToolkit.dll)? If yes then please give me the code or URL. I found some article using Ajax.dll but I want to use System.Web.Extensions.dll or AjaxControlToolkit.dll. Please help me. Thanks in advance Paresh        Hi, Ajax.NET and ASP.NET AJAX, what you want, are completely different implementations so please be sure to use the correct terminology in the future as there are already 100+ AJAX frameworks aroun...

IIS server works with vs.net but not vs.net 2003 ?
Trying to program in asp.net 1.1 via visual studio and running IIS 5.1. After getting asp.net to work, i am getting the dreaded '...Internal Server Error 500..." if I try to start a new Solution in VS.Net 2003. However, VS.Net will allow me to start a web application with no problems. Truth is stranger than fiction, but nothing is stranger than visual studio.... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

i am new to ajax.net could any one give me simple ajax,net example so that i start building on my ajax skills please.........  I started with the todolist video on the main asp.net/ajax page, and its all you need to know to get started. http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/f/6/0f651a0f-6f2b-4497-b061-e1b2825e22e0/MSAJAX-ToDoList.wmv Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. http://asp.net/ajax/    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.Thanks,Ron...

ajax
Dear all, I made my own autoComplete extender because the standard one was not suitable for us... I have a problem to returning a property value of my extender that was changed on the client-side. I used the default extender template in order to create it. Does anyone knows how to update a property on client-side and get its value on the postBack? Normally the GetPropertyValue of the ExtenderControlBase should pick the value from client but it returns the default value on null... Please help me... Thank you very much Hi Have you or anybody else managed to find a solution for this...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

I have a question which is, when building a .net project, we are able to use server side code and client side code(java script). How do they communicate? Thanks Client Side coding works with the WebBrowser. So when ever you write client side code you have to keep browser compatability in your mind and you have to code. Server Side code works with Web Server (IIS) and it's ASPNET ISAPI's. The won't directly communicate with each other. But using AJAX you can all server side code from Client Side! Example article on Ajax@ http://www.devarticles.com/index2.php?option=content&task=view&id=1050&pop=1&hide_ads=1&page=0&hide_js=1Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti Thanks, May I say, when an user clicks a button, pop up box show up. are they communicate? When User Clicks on Button, a popup comming means, on that Button onclick event you might have some Client Side JavaScript. That's why you got popup. So are they communicate? As Browser will act for onclick event, message box shows up. Is click and Sever on sommunicating for this. No it's puerly client side event. But some times, when you click button it submitts to server and does some process as you needed and get's the results back, in that instance you can think browser send request to server and server process it and responds back to browser. hope I made it clear to you!  Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoga...

How to AJAX.NET website to server?
What exactly is needed to move my AJAX.NET website from my development machine to the central production server? Does AJAX.NET and the Control Toolkit have to be installed on the server as well? I'm hoping there's a way to host it w/o any additional software installation, because cutting through the red tape is going to be tough...   Thanks! Only the AJAX.NET (I assume you use the Microsoft ASP.NET AJAX implementation) must be installed on the server. The control toolkit is a separate DLLRichardhttp://www.richardsoeteman.net richardsoeteman.net:Only the AJAX.NET (I assu...

AJAX.NET vs ATLAS
Whats the different between these two?  AJAX.Net used to be called ATLAS they are both the same thing. Please Remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you. -------------------http://www.crazycoder.co.ukG hello. hum, i think he is talking about ajax.net, which, if i'm not mistaken, was the 1st ajax platform built over ASP.NET by Michael Schwarz: http://ajax.schwarz-interactive.de/ ATLAS is now know as ASP.NET AJAX and is the MS platform for AJAX.-- Regards,Luis Abreuemail: labreu_at_gmail.comEN blog:http://msmvps.com/blogs/luisabreu...

Ajax, .Net, and Server question
I am hosting websites using Server 2003 Standard Edition.  I host primarily ASP.NET websites and the majority of .Net 2.0.  What do I need to do if someone developed a website with Ajax in it for me to be able to host it, or can I do it as-is the way I am doing stuff?Robert Williams, OwnerWilliams Web Solutionswww.williamswebsolutions.netWebsite design & redesignWebsite & e-mail hosting  If the site is developed using Microsoft's ASP.NET AJAX, you must install ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions 1.0 on the server, since the framework is installed in the Global Assembly C...

Can AJAX from the server-side initiate an update of a client-side Update Panel ?
I have a website where multiple users are updating various pages of data. If a user updates a particular section that other people are looking at I'd like to be able to trigger an update in the other peoples' Update Panels. Is this possible?RegardsMatthew You can update a panel from server-side code, by simply use the Update method of the UpdatePanel that you want to update./Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitterMicrosoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCTASPInsidersMy Blog How do I get an event on one user's page to update other users' pages asyncronously? My first thought was to record the events of...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

adding Ajax to my non-Ajax .NET web site
Hi all I've a site that i developed by .NET (visual studio.net 2005 - VB.net) and want to add Ajax into the pages now. I've downloaded required AJAX tools and be able to develop AJAX enabled pages but want to integrate ajax features to existing pages. Could you please help me how i can do this? Thanksmcb Look at the videos here: http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/  (number 7 in particular)Steve Wellens My blog if a web site is a normal asp web site then u have to add these lines in web.config under the system.web tag         <httpHand...

Web resources about - Client vs. Server Side AJAX.Net - asp.net.ajax-discussion

Fat client - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the name is contrasted to thin client , which describes a computer heavily dependent on a server's applications. A fat client still requires ...

Facebook Forms EMEA Client Council
Facebook announced the formation of its EMEA Client Council in a post in Spanish on the Facebook for Business page by vice president for Europe, ...

Facebook India Client Council - Facebook for Business
The India Client Council provides a forum for leading marketers to discuss the future of business and marketing in India.

Gallop Labs hires former Facebook Client Partner as Director of Sales
Gallop Labs , a social marketing and analytics firm, announced that it has hired former Facebook Client Partner Andrew Peebles as the company’s ...

Sydney IV.ME clinic closed by NSW Health after client hospitalised at St Vincent's
Health authorities have launched a major investigation into a chain of 'hydration' clinics after a Sydney woman received an intravenous vitamin ...

CommInsure feels the heat from super fund clients
CommInsure risks losing contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars after claims of unethical practices.

Lloyd Rayney returns with win as client's drug case collapses
Perth barrister Lloyd Rayney has chalked up a win in his first case since returning to the legal profession, with his client acquitted on drug ...

Should You Be Introducing Your Start-Up Clients To VC’s?
I am not sure how much value there is in a warm introduction to an investor from a lawyer.

Macquarie Bank licence curbed by ASIC after client accounts breach
Macquarie will have restrictions on its banking licence after ASIC said it broke rules on withdrawals from client trust accounts.

AMD Updates Gaming Evolved Client
... tools to facilitate said interest. In this vein AMD and second-party developer Raptr have brought a few updates to their Gaming Evolved client ...