Can't get UpdatePanel to work in converted VS2003 to VS2008 (NET 3.5) website

 Hi!

I am trying to AJAX enable an older website, developed in VS 2003 (not AJAX enabled)

I have followed the conversion guide, backup, convert to 3.5 website, everything works and the site compiles without errors.

Now I want to AJAX enable the site but UpdatePanel doesn't work at all.

I tried to work on a existing page but that didnät work

Then I added a totally new webpage and put this "Hello world" code into it:

    <form id="form1" runat="server">
 <asp:scriptmanager id="ScriptManager1" runat="server">
		</asp:scriptmanager>
			<asp:label id="Label1" runat="server" text="Label"></asp:label>

    	<asp:updatepanel id="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
				<ContentTemplate>
					<asp:label id="Label2" runat="server" text="Label"></asp:label>
					<asp:button id="Button1" runat="server" text="Button" />
				</ContentTemplate>
			</asp:updatepanel>

    </form>

 And the code behind as follows:

	Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
		Label2.Text = DateTime.Now.ToString
	End Sub

		Label1.Text = DateTime.Now.ToString
	End Sub

 Even this simple page doesn't work.

Then just before my hair were getting grey, I fired up a brand new webiste in VS 2008, and put in the code above, and to my surprise the page works as a charm

So my wondering is now, do I have to manually to some fix to my older website to really enable AJAX to that site?

Thanks in advance

Ulf

0
ulfe

Take a look at the web.config that was generated for the new ASP.NET 3.5 site, and merge that with the upgraded site's web.config.  That should get your existing site working.

Encosia - ASP.NET, AJAX, and more.

Latest article: Using complex types to make calling services less… complex
0
gt1329a
2/6/2008 11:42:05 PM

Thank you very much!

That did the trick, and now I am up and running with my AJAX enabling!

0
ulfe

Can't get through init 3 from init 5 and can't get through init 5 from init 3.
I tried opensuse 12.1 Gm today. Installation was perfect with xfce 4.8 until I tried installing the nvidia driver. In runlevel 5 as superuser I tried to shift to runlevel 3 and was welcome with a black screen, I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to reboot. During the reboot I used runlevel 3 and I was able to install the nvidia driver. After the nvidia driver installation I tried to shift to runlevel 5 and there, I was welcome with a black screen with a stationary blinking x cursor. I rebooted once again wiith runlevel 5 to get the gui. Any one had seen this happened? This installation is...

Can not get Pickup Directory... .net can't access metabase maybe??? Need to get working ASAP
I am using 2.0 to try to send an email to the IisPickup directorySystem.Net.Mail.MailMessage message = new System.Net.Mail.MailMessage(test@testing.com, "test@test.com", "Testing " + DateTime.Now.ToString(), "Testing the Mail Drop Folder");System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient client = new System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient("127.0.0.1");client.DeliveryMethod = System.Net.Mail.SmtpDeliveryMethod.PickupDirectoryFromIis; client.Send(message);Example Site : www.andrewworral.com (hit the button)This code worked on our old deployment server but not on our new server.  I s...

Can't get MySQL Connector/Net 5.2.2 to work (with Membership)
Hello,Im having problems with using the MySql Connector/Net version 5.2.2 downloaded from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/5.2.htmlAfter installation I have followed the instructions from this blogpost; http://blog.nolanbailey.com/2008/03/08/mysql-aspnet-membership-and-role-provider/194But when I'm done with the last bullet in that list of instructions I turn to the security tab of the Asp.Net Configuration tool, and the following error message appears (text and screenshot below). I also have tried to go on with selecting the MySql Role Provider as well as going on with enter...

Can't get hello world aps.net 2.0 website to work on Go Daddy.
So I've built the simplest site possible. I create a new website in visual web developer 2008 and type hello world on the default.aspx page. I upload my files via ftp and when I request the page with the browser, it blows up. Am I missing something small but important? 2.0 is supported on my hosting package. http://www.myspace.com/wingedtreason Music for Gurus, Gamers and Geeks! what is the error you are getting The real voyage of discovery consists not in making new landscapes, but in having new eyes Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error ...

Can't get it to work. Can't get help.
Name: Tony Clarke Email: minionataondotat Product: Thunderbird Summary: Can't get it to work. Can't get help. Comments: Installed T'bird. Had to change defunct server that T'bird selected by default. Kept asking for passwords associated with previous email (Outlook Express ), when passwords entered then got error messages saying aon responded with 're-authentification failure'. Searched your knowledge base & help forums to no avail. Found them very user-unfriendly & ended up more confused than before. Would like to try T'bird, but I think ...

Can I switch from .Net 3.5 to .Net 3
After finishing the website that I built in VS 2008 and has AjaxControlToolkit controls. I was informed by the network admin that the server has .Net 3 and that we can't install .Net 3.5. I tried to change the application settings from Property Page --> Build node, and then select .Net Framework 3.0 from Target Framework Dropdownlist, and then click OK BUT then I can't run my application I get error message and the     <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server" />   is unknown even when I try ...

Can we replace Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 with Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5
Hi, I have installed vs2008 in C drive and removed it from there  including Microsoft .Net framework 3.5, due to space crunch, then I started installing it in D drive, in this case it did not install .Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 and now it does not show me Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 it shows .NET Compact Framework 3.5 in Add remove program list. My question is will VS2008 work fine with .NET Compact Framework 3.5. apart from it it also has .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in the list, all what is missing is microsoft .net framework 3.5  Please let me know ...

Can't load .NET 3.5
 Hi, I'm a total newbie who has been directed here by Mike EW, from http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/en-US/web/thread/5b3451c2-7650-47df-8da6-4380e11aacdda forum for 'Expression Web'.I'm trying to load a copy of Expression Web and it says I needs .NET 3.5. So I try to load it but get an error message. After some research, I find the above forum and try the info from this page ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/923100/ ) but I still can't install .net 3.5 I have re-installed .NET 2 & .NET 2.1, but when I try to install any further version I get ...

What can c#.net do that vb.net can't?
That's pretty much my question - what can you do with c#, in terms of web application building, that you can't do in vb.net? Thanks Which language you choose is pretty much up you, your preferences and previous experience. There are some differences, but most importantly one have to realize that all .Net compliant languages are translated into an Intermediate Language and at the end of the day, what run is pretty much the same. Read this if you need to know more: "Microsoft Programming Languages" http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/whitepapers/default.aspx ...

Can't get VS.NET working properly
When I create a web form in VS.NET 2003, it automatically puts the code behind syntax in the top line (ie Codebehind=page.aspx.vb Inherits=dotnettest.page). But even if I put a simple line of html (or add no code at all), I get an error displaying the page. If I use no code behind page or inherits statement, and just put all the asp code between the script tags, I don't have any problems. But as soon as I use a code behind page I get an error on the inherits= statement, even if I haven't added any code. Here's the error message: Parser Error Description: An error occurred durin...

cpan>install NET::SSH ----> Can't install NET::SSH don't know what it is?
Good day! This is the first time I'll be using the cpan to install modules. I run: perl -MCPAN -e shell and answer the questions one by one. When its done, I issued install NET::SSH at the cpan> prompt and I got the message: Can't install NET::SSH Don't know what it is. Question: How will I make cpan> know what NET::SSH is? Is there something I have to update first? How can I search for some useful modules using cpan> rather than using cpan search in www.cpan.org? What is auto bundle? And what does 'cpan -a' does? When I ran it, I can some...

Web resources about - Can't get UpdatePanel to work in converted VS2003 to VS2008 (NET 3.5) website - asp.net.ajax-discussion

Newest 'internet-explorer-11' Questions - Stack Overflow
current community chat blog Stack Overflow Meta Stack Overflow Stack Overflow Careers your communities Sign up or log in to customize your list. ...

Calendar of Events - St Paul the Apostle Primary, Winston Hills
... Paul the Apostle is a two-stream Catholic parish school in Winston Hills, catering for boys and girls from Kindergarten to Year 6. Hidden UpdatePanel, ...

Drink of the Week - Logicum
Logicum It's Logical to share Menu Skip to content Home Contests Food Recipes Drink of the Week Health Technology Sports Space World Day Weapons ...

Advert-Rotator™ Rotate any type of ad, advert or banner - Welcome
NEW : Google Adsense™ in AJAX Updatepanel - Rotate any type of advertisement on your website. Whether it is Google Adsense™, Flash video or banner, ...

dotnet HighCharts inside UpdatePanel
Read my article about the HighCharts.net databind? A frequently question regards the possibility to get functioning a dotnet.HighCharts chart ...

Blog Archive
Blog Archive 2013 75 Essential Tools for iOS Developers Aug 15 2013 posted in iOS Speaking at Cocoa Conf PDX Jul 13 2013 posted in Speaking In ...

ASP.NET AJAX and jQuery Presentation
... the following demo Visual Studio 2008 projects: ASP.NET AJAX and jQuery Demo Illustrates how to use ASP.NET AJAX (ScriptManager, UpdatePanel, ...

Latest Updates
Latest Updates - Free source code and tutorials for Software developers and Architects.; Updated: 15 Feb 2013

New Release of WatirMaker now WatirRecorder
Rutger Smit & Scott Hanselman have released a new version of WatirMaker, now retitled WatirRecorder. This is a great program for building UI ...

Work smarter: MS AJAX’s JavaScript type extensions
Examples of using Array.contains, Date.format, String.format, and other base type extensions to accelerate ASP.NET AJAX client side development. ...