Asp.net ajax vs jquery

What is the difference?  It seems like jquery is only for dom manipulation, not for building a client-side framework (components, classes, etc).  So asp.net ajax seems to be the better approach if going for that, however I see that jquery is all the rave.  I recently read Daniel Larson's "Developing Service-Oriented AJAX Applications on the Microsoft Platform", which I thought was an excellent book and would like to use as a basis for writing my own client-framework.  He doesn't use jquery at all.  Would I benefit from it?  How would it fit into a design like is demonstrated in that book, as I really want to use his, but feel like I'd be missing out on jquery (but it seems more straightforward than jquery and why mix up the two in code anyway (since jquery looks pretty different to me) - why not just use asp.net ajax)??  Anyone have any opinions?

0
jlk1234

jQuery is basically like the ASP.NET AJAX Client Framework (MicrosoftAjax.js), with selectors, DOM manipulation, plugins, and better animation support.  On the client side jQuery is really much more powerful than MS AJAX.  That's why they've decided to start bundling it with VS in the future, instead of trying to reinvent that wheel in MicrosoftAjax.js.

jQuery and ASP.NET AJAX aren't necessarily mutually exclusive though.  For example, using MS AJAX to automatically JSON serialize the return from an ASMX service is very useful.

Take a look at the jQuery category on my blog for some examples of using jQuery on the client with ASP.NET AJAX on the server.

Encosia - ASP.NET, AJAX, and more.

Latest article: Using complex types to make calling services less… complex
0
gt1329a

ASP.Net Ajax and JQuery are different framework on client. You can use ASP.Net Ajax with JQuery if you'd like to. Please check this article by Scott Gu: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2008/09/28/jquery-and-microsoft.aspx

Vince Xu
Microsoft Online Community Support
Vince
1/5/2009 8:52:38 AM

hi,

I'm a newbie here, Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of using AJAX vs. jQuery with AJAX in asp.net applications?

0
jobertlapena
2/6/2009 11:14:04 AM

Firstly, they are not on the same layer. Ajax is an technology to achieve partial refresh. There are lot of Ajax framework, ASP.Net Ajax, Ajax.Net and so on. Whereas JQuery is a framework of JavaScript as well as pototype.

JQuery encapsulate some convenient method to achieve JavaScript funcitionality. Especially in DOM operation. Of course, it has functionality of Ajax too. If you wanna more information, please post a new thread for your own.

Vince Xu
Microsoft Online Community Support
Vince
2/9/2009 2:21:26 AM

Now that Microsoft is adopting jQuery, does this mean that the plans are to fully drop the javascript framework in favor of jQuery? I am asking this because our web developers are going to start to "Web 2.0" enable our web sites and they are going to need training. Therefore we were asking ourselves whether we should focus on JQuery our the ASP.NET Ajax javascript framework. If I have to trust my gut feeling I would say to go for JQuery, right?

0
gabriel
2/9/2009 6:43:35 AM

 Greetings,

I read Scott Guthrie's post about the subject, but didn't clearly understand whether Microsoft will stop the development of the ASP.Net AJAX JavaScript framework (I mean just the parts concerned with DOM manipulation and basic JavaScript extensions, not the XMLHttpRequest wrapper engine) in favor to jquery?

 This appears to be confusing, because we now have 2 frameworks, 2 ways to do things.

0
Ashraf_Sabry_M
5/4/2009 10:44:38 AM

Hi

Indeed both asp.net ajax and jQuery are javascript based framework but the area which asp.net ajax covers is more broad compared to that of jQuery . Basically jQuery is used to manipulate the DOM with its powerfull in built features of DOM selectors and various other methods . And all of them primarly target dom manipulation . Whereas asp.net ajax offers more when it comes to overall application development . With ajax you can create server controls, extender's etc based on your requiremnets . I also prefer asp.net ajax over jQuery whenever I have to make a db query using webmethods since it is more clean and easy to use . Already asp.net ajax 2.0 framework is out and 4.0 is on its way . Also I feel two is better than one . If you can understand where to use jQuery and where to put ajax , then its a win win situation for you.

Regards
Pawan Mishra
“The greatest compliment that was ever paid to me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” - Henry David Thoreau
0
Pawan_Mishra

Old AJAX in .NET 1.1 compatibility with .NET framework 2.0. Ajax does not work always ....................
Hello,I have converted the web site from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0. Some of the pages in the web site use AJAX which was developed in .NET 1.1Ajax does not work smoothly in .NET 2.0. Do I have to use ATLAS or is there any fix I can use to make the AJAX work ?Please let me know. Many thanks in advance. Nick..........

Does anyone know of either an ajax.net blog available or an 'inline editor' for ajax.net?
Hey all:  I'm desperately trying to find an AJAX control (I don't care if it's currently for ASP.NET AJAX.NET, since if not, I'll do the conversion and make it available to others) for creating blogs and another inline editor control, so that if there is text on the page, I can click on the text and it will automatically display an editor and allow me to edit the text/html.  Does anyone know of a control like this that's AJAX enabled?  Especially AJAX.NET.  I'm only interested in open-source, since any improvements I make I will make available on codeplex.com Thanks in...

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

AJAX.NET vs ATLAS
Whats the different between these two?  AJAX.Net used to be called ATLAS they are both the same thing. Please Remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you. -------------------http://www.crazycoder.co.ukG hello. hum, i think he is talking about ajax.net, which, if i'm not mistaken, was the 1st ajax platform built over ASP.NET by Michael Schwarz: http://ajax.schwarz-interactive.de/ ATLAS is now know as ASP.NET AJAX and is the MS platform for AJAX.-- Regards,Luis Abreuemail: labreu_at_gmail.comEN blog:http://msmvps.com/blogs/luisabreu...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

adding Ajax to my non-Ajax .NET web site
Hi all I've a site that i developed by .NET (visual studio.net 2005 - VB.net) and want to add Ajax into the pages now. I've downloaded required AJAX tools and be able to develop AJAX enabled pages but want to integrate ajax features to existing pages. Could you please help me how i can do this? Thanksmcb Look at the videos here: http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/  (number 7 in particular)Steve Wellens My blog if a web site is a normal asp web site then u have to add these lines in web.config under the system.web tag         <httpHand...

[Hot Discussion] VB.NET vs. C#.NET by performance
Which one have the much better performance? Which one is the best?Parco LeeOwner + Webmaster + System Engineer + Professional ProgrammerSoftDweller Lab (a software laboratory)http://www.softdweller.comA professional laboratory for new technology softwares developing by .NET.http://www.nowlover.com Hmmm, the discussion doesn't appear very hot. By the way, the answer is its all personal taste, give or take a few things that aren't important.Thanks, Paul Wilson, ASPInsider, MC**For the best .NET code, examples, and tools, visit:WilsonDotNet.com, WilsonWebPortal.com, ORMapper.net I'...

.NET AJAX
Is anyone can direct me to a good tutorial about creating an AJAX based applications. Thanks.Best regards,Ron. There are some examples on using AJAX with AJAX.NET. Also, you may want to check out the ATLAS section of this site. HTH,RyanRyan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThttp://ryanolshan.comHow to ask a question And to add to that reply This guy has been working on comparing all the different AJAX options, its a pretty good read http://www.daniel-zeiss.de/AJAXComparison/Results.htm"If you make it idiot proof, they'll build a better idiot" Thanks, I wil...

VS.NET 2003 to VS.Net 2005
Hi   I just converetd my VS.Net 2003 project to VS.NET 2005 using the convert wizard in Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project. It compiled with no build errors and a few warnings. When Iam trying to view the project, then it gives me 404 error. Can someone help ? Thanks Could you confirm you are using WAP (Web Application Projects) versus the built-in WSP (Web Site model)? If you have a project file after converting, then you are using WAP. Could you post the actual 404 error you got? Also, did you set your start page in the converted project?  -Mike-...

VS 2008.net AJAX Controls
Dear all,  Now I am using vs 2005.net and have ajax 1.0 controls such as drop down list. And Now I am trying to use vs 2008.net which as I know included ajax controls without install ajax extensions. But when I open vs 2008.net and found only script manager or timer or update process in the ajax sections. How can I use ajax drop down list controls in vs 2008.net or how can I know other controls (so I can try to use them if they present) included in vs 2008.net? Do I need to install others files? Moreover, In the aspx file, I don't find <ajax:xxxx></ajaxX...

AJAX .NET
AJAX = Asynchronous JavaScript and XMLIts the technology google is using for gmail (the most well know example I can think of). If you use gmail or have tried it out, you'd know how cool and fast it is to use. Michael Schwarz from Germany has created an amazing componet called AJAX.NET. It's a dll .net assembly that allows you to make use of AJAX very easily. Anyone using it here?http://ajax.schwarz-interactive.de/csharpsample/default.aspx-DarrenNeese.com-DNN ROCKS!-DeveloperSchool.com A better example is google maps. Thanks for the link. View My Blog Download My URL Rewriter and Rever...

ajax or not to ajax.
Heres a strange one for you. I have a textbox, a button and a gridview on a page. I enter some search text which returns 500 odd records in under a second. When i wrap the gridview in an updatepanel, set its update mode to "conditional" and the trigger to the button the page can take 2-4 seconds to render. I think the problem is down to page redering some how as my progress indicator stops at around the same time as the normal postback would appear. I have also noticed this very behaviour and have come to the conclusion that in cases like this it is better to hand code a XMLHttp...

To AJAX, or not to AJAX?
Some body suggested to me to use AJAX. I figured it's not the brand name detergent nor the Dutch city. So here is what I have and please tell me if it ca be done with ajax, and perhaps point me to some examples, etc. The page contains several GridViews and FormViews that display data using several data calls. (Yeah, there is my first issue. Need to figure out how to cash all that.) This is an application that track work orders, so the top most FV has the user info and summary information of the work order. It is editable and so far it works well. There is also another set of infroamt...

Web resources about - Asp.net ajax vs jquery - asp.net.ajax-discussion

jQuery
jQuery: The Write Less, Do More, JavaScript Library

jQuery Boilerplate
A boilerplate for jump-starting jQuery plugins development.

jQuery Mobile - jQuery Mobile
A unified, HTML5-based user interface system for all popular mobile device platforms, built on the rock-solid jQuery and jQuery UI foundation. ...

jQuery UI - Home
jQuery UI is the official jQuery user interface library. It provides interactions, widgets, effects, and theming for creating Rich Internet Applications. ...

jQuery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1.8.2 / September 20, 2012 ; 15 days ago ( 2012-09-20 ) It was released in January 2006 at BarCamp NYC by John Resig . Used by over 55% of the ...

jQuery API
Deprecated , Utilities Deprecated in jQuery 1.3 (see jQuery.support ) . States if the current page, in the user's browser, is being rendered ...

Main Page - jQuery JavaScript Library
jQuery Plugins UI Meetups Forum Blog About Donate Download Documentation Tutorials Bug Tracker Discussion Documentation Search jQuery Go Getting ...

jQuery Plugins Site
We've been looking to provide a higher-quality, spam-free experience at the plugins site for some time, and a major error on our part forced ...

How to convert unordered list into nicely styled <select> dropdown using jquery?
$('ul.selectdropdown').each(function(){ var select=$(document.createElement('select').insertBefore($(this).hide(); $('>li a', this).each(function(){ ...

JavaScript/jQuery 基礎研修
JavaScript/jQuery 基礎研修 この研修で学んだことを業務にどう活かせますか? 今回の研修では、主にjQueryの基礎概念、具体的な実装の方法、カスタマイズの方法、その他関連css、htmlの知識などを学びました。 授業では、学んだ技術を当社運営サイトにどのよう ...

resources last updated: 11/20/2015 4:38:43 PM