AJAX Master Page, AJAX Web Form and AJAX Client Control Question?

I gues to get the ball rolling I have VS 2008 and I am creating ASP.NET websites. I have programmed with VS 2005 and always had to add AJAX features by hand. Now in VS 2008 you have new templates

AJAX Master Page, AJAX Web Form, AJAX Client Behavior, AJAX Client Control, AJAX Client Library, AJAX-embeded WCF Service

On these three templates AJAX Master Page, AJAX Web Form and AJAX Client Control. What makes them different from normal templates? Is it just a matter of adding the script manager to the page or is using a AJAX Master Page have a huge benefit over doing individual pages? I have search the net and have not found any good Pros and Cons info on them. Most of the stuff I find is VS 2005 and AJAX Toolkit you install be hand.

Can someone please post back info or place to find info on major or minor differences or reasons for using AJAX ones over standard template w/o AJAX.

George - (iamtgo3) www.ipdg3.com
(AS / CADD / CompTIA A+ Certified / CompTIA Network+ Certified / MCSA / MCP / MCT)
Helping Developers and Programmers Find Resources
0
iamtgo3

There's no fundamental difference.  The AJAX templates just start you off with a web.config that has all of the needed configuration settings.

If you manually updated the web.config of an existing site to use the AJAX extensions, the end result would be the same.

Encosia - ASP.NET, AJAX, and more.

Latest article: Using complex types to make calling services less… complex
0
gt1329a
2/22/2008 12:16:27 AM

gt1329a

Thanks for the post back. I figured it was something like that but wanted to make sure of it. It is so odd that there is not any post or docs that I can find online about some new features to VS 2008.

George - (iamtgo3) www.ipdg3.com
(AS / CADD / CompTIA A+ Certified / CompTIA Network+ Certified / MCSA / MCP / MCT)
Helping Developers and Programmers Find Resources
0
iamtgo3

ajax or not to ajax.
Heres a strange one for you. I have a textbox, a button and a gridview on a page. I enter some search text which returns 500 odd records in under a second. When i wrap the gridview in an updatepanel, set its update mode to "conditional" and the trigger to the button the page can take 2-4 seconds to render. I think the problem is down to page redering some how as my progress indicator stops at around the same time as the normal postback would appear. I have also noticed this very behaviour and have come to the conclusion that in cases like this it is better to hand code a XMLHttp...

To AJAX, or not to AJAX?
Some body suggested to me to use AJAX. I figured it's not the brand name detergent nor the Dutch city. So here is what I have and please tell me if it ca be done with ajax, and perhaps point me to some examples, etc. The page contains several GridViews and FormViews that display data using several data calls. (Yeah, there is my first issue. Need to figure out how to cash all that.) This is an application that track work orders, so the top most FV has the user info and summary information of the work order. It is editable and so far it works well. There is also another set of infroamt...

My AJAX is not AJAXing!
Hi, I was having trouble with a new AJAX enabled code so I tried to just to do a simple test page. I did the simple Label control with button example covered in this tutorial http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax/tutorial-01-cs.aspx I'm having the same problem. Functionalitw-wise it works but the page is refreshing and flickering. That means it's not the code but maybe my set up. I'm using VisualStudio 2005 and the application is currenty .NET 2.0. In VS.NET, I do see the AJAX controls though. What could this be?Thanks,Sam did you install the Ajax extensions? Now, it's AJAXing!...

How to enable ajax (Use AJAX Controls) in my Web Control Library project
I have VS2005 with Ajax extended controls.   i have created a Web Control Library project, but i want to use ajax controls. is it possible.   I do not want to create a ajax enabled web site, but looking if any possible in my web control library project.   Please let me know and thanks in advance. D Hi, Yes. If you want to create User Control which contains a lot of web controls and Ajax control, you can create an User Control with Ajax Control to achieve it. If you want to create a Custom Control with Ajax, I suggest you build a new Extender. Please check the...

Fetch a page ajax with ajax
In the video number 30 presented by Joe Stagner in “How Do I?” videos, just in the beginning he says that we can fetch an existing aspx page into our page. I doing exactly the same right now, but I’m inserting a page with some controls that triggers events against the update panel that contains a repeater control, such as paging events, filtering and ordering data. I’ve tested the repeater’s control page and it’s working perfectly, though when I insert into another page and trigger an event I got an error, which is undefined. I still can see the page rendered in the first time, the problem o...

Ajax-Enabled Web Site vs Ajax Control Toolkit Web Site
I just start to use Ajax and noticed when I create a new web site from command menu, I have two options, ASP.NET AJAX-Enabled Web Site from "Visual Studio installed templates" and AJAX Control Toolkit Web Site from "My templates". The first option created prefix like <ajaxToolkit:###> while the second created prefix with <cc1:#####>. Can you point me the differences between those two templates.  Thanks! The Ajax Control Toolkit has around 40 controls which works on top of Core Ajax Framework. Starting with the Control Toolkit template will ensur...

adding Ajax to my non-Ajax .NET web site
Hi all I've a site that i developed by .NET (visual studio.net 2005 - VB.net) and want to add Ajax into the pages now. I've downloaded required AJAX tools and be able to develop AJAX enabled pages but want to integrate ajax features to existing pages. Could you please help me how i can do this? Thanksmcb Look at the videos here: http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/  (number 7 in particular)Steve Wellens My blog if a web site is a normal asp web site then u have to add these lines in web.config under the system.web tag         <httpHand...

The Ajax Tabcontrol
Hi! Neat control that tabcontrol but for some reason it doesn't compleatly flies on the wings of ajax. This is what I have and what I want:  I have four tabpanels nested into the parent Tabcontrol container. In these tabpanels I have a Updatepanel each. What I want is that when I change tabs for example from tab 1 to tab 2 the content in the Updatepanel in tab 2 should be updated. I have on each page a refesh button that can refresh it with out a full postback, but for somereason no matter how I do it I can seem to get the updatepanel to refresh without a full postback wheb sw...

Like AJAX, but not AJAX
When a user submits a page, i want the submit button to be disabled the text be something else like [ Loading.... ] and when the page loads after post back , the button should be enabled and the text  be [ Submit ]. Is it possible to do this without AJAX in asp.netNoob Rocks You will need to use javascript. One way you can do it, add this attribute in the page_load event:Button1.Attributes.Add("onclick", GetPostBackEventReference(Button1) + ";this.value='Please wait...';this.disabled = true;");This does have its limitations, but it should work. www.hopeasp.net Are you...

Can we include AJAX controls in a regular web app? or do we need to create AJAX WEB APP?
I wanted to know that to use the ajax controls that comes with asp.net 2.0, do we need to build an ajax web site or we will need to develop a regular web application and can use the ajax. As when we open visual studio 2005, it asks us that do you want to create, 1) asp.net web application OR 2) AJAX ENABLED WEB APPLICATION?     Hi! If you use AJAX ENABLED WEB APPLICATION you will have automatically: 1 - reference to System.Web.Extensions assembly (base assembly for ajax) 2 - all necessary configurations on web config 3 - a page with a script manager inside (script ...

Troubleshoot Web Service; Ajax AutoComplete events do not appear to not fire; Ajax web service appears to not work. .NET
Folks, I had the situation that Ajax AutoComplete events in the web service did not fire after I copied a project out of a folder, renamed it and moved it to a server. The fix was hard to find but easy to solve. I had some web service modules in an ASMX file that provided AutoComplete entries -- i.e., after the user keys in 2 or 3 characters, the list of possible entries with those leading characters is displayed for the user to select. To solve the problem, look at the web service's directive, not the code-behind or the ASMX designer.  Do a right-mouse-click...

How to instantiate an AJAX control inside a custom AJAX control
Hi I want to include a ToggleButton control inside a custom AJAX control.  How can I instantiate an instance of the ToggleButton in my Javascript?  If I create an instance of the ToggleButton in C# code, how could the Javascript pick it up?  Thank you,  ltlwinger   http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb397487.aspx Final Answer.Good Luck this._pin = $create(AjaxControlToolkit.ToggleButtonBehavior, { 'id': this.get_id() + "_ToggleButton", 'CheckedImageUrl': 'images/collapse.jpg', 'UncheckedImageUrl': '...

Ajax(AJAX EXTENSION) and page parsing
anyone can help me i have a problem.i use ajax extension When I save my page's data I get an error stating "Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerParserErrorException : The message received from the server could not be parsed. Common causes for this error are when the response is modified by calls to Response.Write(), response filters, httpModules, or server trace is enabled. Details: Error parsing near 'itle||Untitle Page|<script language='ja'.Actually after saving  the data i am showing javascript msg from server side.following is the code<form><asp:ScriptMan...

Ajax Control Toolkit vs. Ajax Enabled Web Site Template
Hi, After installed the Ajax extension, we have Ajax Enabled Web Site template in our Visual Studio, after installed the Control Toolkit extension, we have another Control Toolkit template, what is the difference of these two template? I can't figure out the different since both works for me. I believe the only difference is that the toolkit template automatically references the toolkit.  Both should have made the web.config changes needed to make the site ASP.NET AJAX enabled.Encosia - ASP.NET, AJAX, and more.Latest article: Using complex types to make calling services less… co...

Web resources about - AJAX Master Page, AJAX Web Form and AJAX Client Control Question? - asp.net.ajax-discussion

Media Search of Suspects’ Apartment Raises Questions
“There is something so strange about all of this,” said MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell , as correspondent Kerry Sanders picked up baby’s toys, sifted ...

Question answered
The San Bernardine massacre was caused by workplace stresses combined with climate change.

Question of the Day: Would you choose smog-reducing gear?
Filed under: Etc. , Green , Emissions Governments now enforce emissions laws. What if you could choose to comply or not comply? Continue reading ...

Some Questions
1.) Yesterday’s shooter was American born, and arguably more American than Ted Cruz. Why isn’t the fact that he was legally able to obtain that ...

The Question People Need to Stop Asking Women
Lately, I'm getting it a lot. The dreaded question. The one that each and every woman in has to hear in her life, probably more than once. I ...

Hillary was asked the blunt question: "You say that all rape victims should be believed, but would you ...
Clearly prepared for that question, she answered: "I would say that everybody should be believed at first until they are disbelieved based on ...

3 big questions about human gene editing
Global summit wrestles with the promise, risks and ethics of editing human genes

Questions raised on ex-Trump adviser
Trump tapped a man to be a senior business adviser after the man's involvement in a fraud became publicly known, the AP reports.

Will The TPP Increase Trade? That’s The Wrong Question
One of the selling points for the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement is that it will " increase trade ." Here's the thing. If you close ...