"Push" messages to Atlas/Ajax Client or Client-side event handling of server messages

What I'm looking for is the ability for the client-side Ajax/Atlas GUI to be able to update itself when events occur on the server. The issue is that the events are triggered from a third party, and aren't triggered by postback. For example, let's say there's a Queue of data on the server, and each time a new item is added to the Queue, I want the client to recognize the addition and display the new item.

Right now, the only way I can think of doing this is by setting up an Ajax timer and checking the state of the Queue on every timer tick. While this doesn't cause the page to refresh/postback every 3 seconds, I'm still generating some high-latency traffic (async, but still high-latency) every 3 seconds just to check for the appearance of a new row of data.

Does anyone have any good patterns for pushing events/messages down to an Atlas/Ajax client to avoid the tired old "poll every X seconds" paradigm?

- The .NET Addict

The .NET Addict
http://dotnetaddict.dotnetdevelopersjournal.com
0
DotNetAddict

You may want to look at Eilon's post:

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1248986.aspx

0
ColdCold

Web resources about - "Push" messages to Atlas/Ajax Client or Client-side event handling of server messages - asp.net.ajax-discussion