Using Multiple Access Databases, and needing to edit the utils.vb file

Hey guys, I had purchased a program that creates a fully functional asp.net form from my access database because I was not well versed in asp. I've learned alot of customizing the pages aftwards but still need some guidance. In my utils.vb file i Have

 "imports system
imports system.web.ui
imports system.web.ui.webcontrols
imports Microsoft.VisualBasic
Imports System.Text.RegularExpressions
public class utils : inherits page
public strConn as string="PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA SOURCE=" & Server.MapPath(".") & "/db/clockin.mdb""

All my pages point to here as a reference I'm assuming so that I don't have to initate a connection for every page in my folder.

What if, I have more than one database that I want to connect to? Can I just append another line after /db/clockin.mdb so that it would read
"db/clockin.mdb" &"/db/clockin1.mdb" &"/db/clockin2.mdb" etc .?

Or would I have to do something totally different?

But if i did it this way, how would my pages know which database to use when I do a select from statement?

This is what I have a hard time undestanding, if anyone can please enlighten me I would highly appreciate it.

thanks you guys are great.

0
user125

You have to create separate connection string for each mdb database, each connection string could point only to one database.

But if you use SQL server you can call object from another database by including database name in the table name so maybe you can switch to SQL Express?

JPazgier
0
jpazgier
2/23/2007 5:44:57 PM

It would it have to be something like

Accessdatasourcecontrol1.connectionstring = strcon and
accessdatasourcecontrol2.connectionstring = strcon ? so that when I'm referencing a select from it would know where I'm going to?

 In addition to SQL, the host I'm using allows for me to have a sql database. I was hoping to migrate my data from access to a mdf file? so i can upload that and use that as my database. The only thing stopping me is reports. The reason why I'm not using one huge access db, is because I need to d/l it, run my reports, print them. I don't want to d/l a huge report. Also, I don't have access to crystal reports and my hosting company does not offer it.

0
user125
2/23/2007 5:55:46 PM

Accessdatasourcecontrol1.connectionstring = strcon1

accessdatasourcecontrol2.connectionstring = strcon2

should work.

You can try to use SQL reporting services if they have them on your web server, but it is a lot of extar work probably to convert your reports from Access to Reporting services?

JPazgier
0
jpazgier
2/23/2007 6:05:50 PM
ah ic, well.. I won't need to convert reports.. I mean they're just basic reports, so if sql has a feature that will allow me to print out my custom reports, and if the reports are easy to create, then I will definately switch.
0
user125
2/23/2007 6:17:50 PM
I should actually clarify that. The reports that I have in access are a multipage report. Pretty much it'll spit out 10-15 pages of data thats been formatted by the report and allow me to print all the pages in that format. I don't know if the sql reports can offer that.
0
user125
2/23/2007 6:47:02 PM

check information about reporting service for SQL server and you will see that this is Microsoft replacement for Crystal Reports you can do all what you could do in other report engines and maybe more?. You can export reports in different formats and report is generated directly to web page and user can export it the way he wonts. The only problem is that you have to have reporting service installed on the server.

JPazgier
0
jpazgier

accessing my database using VB.NET
hi all! i'm thinking of besides using ASP.NET to access my data in my web hoster's server. I want 2 access it using VB.NET program. I want 2 do this because it safe time for employees to download the web page. I will use ASP.NET for customers to access, but VB.NET program for my staff to access. But how do i it (Accessing the database using VB.NET program)? Thanks!All The Best :) There is a solution in the VS.Net walkthroughs which uses XML web services to distribute data to both a web application and a winform application. Here is a link: Walkthrough: Creating a Distribu...

Access: Multiple file accesses
I used WebMatrix to develope some code. In the code I am pulling information from tables to fill drop down lists and datagrids, add new records, update records and also delete records. Very simple functionality nothing fancy. My issue is when I run my code on a machine with WebMatrix and access installed Everything works fine and with no issues. When I move the code to our production server where there is not Access and is running IIS there are issues with opening the file more than once. That is, when the page tries to open the database when there is already another connection to it....

how to create crystal report using VB.NET with the database of ACCESS
hi..! i want to create crystal report of my project.em using access database...!   but i have no idea how to create reports using VB.NET with the access db  i create the report but it shows only one record  hi ......You can do it PUSH method of creating crystal reports...!!!!! In push method Typed Dataset is used as the data sourcefor crystal report...!!!Steps for creating the report could be.....1. add a typed dataset to your solution.2.go to server explorer.3.connect your access file to your server explorer. 4.Change data base.. 5.attach access file..!!6.test ...

Do I need to change my project to file share access instead of front page access to use it with Source Safe?
My ASP.NET project was originally set up to use front page. I need to add it to source safe, but when I click "Add solution to source control" I get this message: Visual Studio cannot add some of the projects you have selected to source control because they are Web projects that are using FrontPage Web access. Adding FrontPage Web projects to source control is done at the Web Server from the Internet Services Manager accessed through the Administrative Tools item in the Control Panel. Be sure to save all projects in Visual Studio before you modify their settings in Inte...

Permission problem with access database using vb.net web service
Hi all,I wrote a simple web service that has two public methods. It uses Access database. As long as the codes are accessing the database read only, it is fine. The methods can query data without having any problem. But when it comes to writing some data to database, I get "use an updatable query" error, which means the database is read only. But it is not read only because aspx pages can write data to it without having any problem. The folder and file permissions for database file is correct. When i googled the issue i found out that web services acce...

Hi, I use login control. My database in an MS access mdb file. How to set the access db to be the provider of the login control?
Hi I'm pretty new to security, so it may be a qstn of a begginer but i hope you'll help. I have an access db, and I use the login control. The login control uses the asp.net sql server as the provider right? but I want it to use my custom access database as the provider/database how can I do it?   Thanks for the help. The login control will use whichever provider is specified in the <Membership> section of your Web.config.  So in order to use your existing database, you'll probably want to create a custom membership provider.  There are lots of e...

Access a Access Database in VB code
I am trying to access my access database in the On-Change event.  I want to test if a record alreay exists for that employee on that date before I allow the insert. Imports System Imports System.Collections Imports System.Configuration Imports System.Data Imports System.Data.OleDb Imports System.Web.UI Imports System.Web.UI.WebControlsPartial Class EmpRelief  Inherits System.Web.UI.Page Protected Sub AccessDataSource1_Inserted(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As SqlDataSourceStatusEventArgs) End SubProtected Sub DateWorkedTextBox_TextChanged(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal...

Data Access using MS Access Database
I am writing an application I am writing in VS 2005 Web Developer.  I have been able to connect to my Access Database just fine, but I am having trouble pulling rows from the database.  I have a drop down list in order to choose an employee.  After the employee is picked I need to copy their address, city, state, and zip ifrom my table into text boxes on the form.  I have looked for a week now, but nothing goes beyond just the connection itself.  I can find plenty using sql, but not access.  Can anyone help? Most of the SQL examples you will find for use ...

accessing ACCESS database
Hi, I am trying to write a script that copies an information from ACCESS but it gives me the following error: Can't call method "Sql" on an undefined value at franowner.pl.txt line 4. Here's the script: use Win32::ODBC; $DSN="db1"; $db = new Win32::ODBC("db1"); $db->Sql("SELECT owner_first_name, owner_last_name FROM Owners WHERE ID=11"); if ($db->Error()) { print "Error: $db->Error"; } statement:\n$DBI:errstr\n"; ($ownerfname,$ownerlname) = $db->FetchRow(); print "Database results: first ...

Accessing the PC database using a web-page and PowerBuilder 5.0 front-end and MS Access Database
I am trying to connect my web page, which is the standard HTML Explorier applet to my MS Access Database by way of PowerBuilder 5.0. I would like the steps and PowerBuilder Script to make this work. I was told that this is possible, but I don't know where to start, where to place the needed Script, and how to get the link on the web page to call up Powerbuilder to access the MS Access database. Help! You create a PB user object that has methods that do the access. You deploy that as a distributed PB component and then access it using Web.PB. Read more on distributed PB and...

Using VMS Perl to access a Microsoft Access database
WARNING: Perl novice on board... I suddenly find myself in the need of being able to access a Microsoft Access database from my VMS system. I figure Perl might be a good way to do this. However, I seem to be lost in the morass of verbage that talks about accessing a database via Perl so I'm turning here in the hopes of obtaining some hints or pointers (or, at least some water wings). What module(s) do I need to load into Perl? Do I need any additional software? Has anyone done this? Can it be done? I had thought that the most likely way to accomplish this would be for P...

Access databases using ADO.Net
Hi I am using Visual Studio.Net 2003 and SQL 2000 Web applications run using the ASPNET user account. I have to set up this account and grant it permissions before my Web application will have access to a SQL database. How do I grant permissions ?. There are two permissions in SQL Server the Database permissions  in the database and the Server permissions under security in Enterprise manager.  If you need more help post again.  Hope this helps.Kind regards,Gift Peddie...

Accessing Data Using VB.Net
I'm working on my first (and fairly small) web-application. One thing I'll need to do however is pull data from an Oracle database and display it (several records, 10 or so columns) to the user...maybe with a datagrid? Anyway, I've been told the best way to connect to a database is to scrap the ASP.NET controls and do everything via code, specifically VB.NET. I can't find any examples on an ASP site connecting to Oracle using VB.Net. I know your supposed to put your connection string inside the web.config file but I'm not sure how to reference that connection from t...

Web resources about - Using Multiple Access Databases, and needing to edit the utils.vb file - asp.net.access-datasource

GOP rivals condemn Donald Trump for backing Muslim database
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson said Saturday that he wants to expand the government's surveillance operations aimed at ...

VTech Admits Lack of Database Security Opened Door to Hack
A SQL injection, a common software flaw, was found to be the root cause in the VTech breach.

MapR And Big Data In The World's Largest Biometric Database Project
India?s Aadhaar project is one of the world?s most ambitious big data projects, aiming to collect, store, and utilize biometric information from ...

Trump calls for surveillance of some mosques, attempts to clarify remarks on Syrian database
Trump calls for surveillance of some mosques, attempts to clarify remarks on Syrian database