Usage of MS access database in web

Hi everybody,

             Iam using Access database in my web application. I faced a problem that access database is only allow some specific number of users .Iam using that database as read-only, no updates to data .After reading so many articles in web i come to know SQL server is best database for web applications which having high stress and concurrency.This SQL server requires licensing but iam not able to spend that much amount.Is there any solution, that access database will work in this kind of situation?

0
srikanthbollineni

If you're hosting your web on your own server, you can use free Microsoft SQL
Server Express - there are limitations, but it's better solution than Access. If you're using some hosting provider, they all support Microsoft SQL server, so you don't have to purchase it.

0
kipo
12/5/2008 9:37:31 AM

srikanthbollineni:
I faced a problem that access database is only allow some specific number of users .Iam using that database as read-only, no updates to data .After reading so many articles in web i come to know SQL server is best database for web applications which having high stress and concurrency

The reported "Maximum number of users" with Access can be misleading.  Your actual database will only be accessed by one user - the web application itself, and each connection lasts only as long as it is opened then closed.  Generally, that's fractions of a second.  All the time that a user is just looking at a web page on your site, they are not "using" Access.  I have had similar web sites running fine with Access where there are half a million database reads a month.  However, if you are developing a site that expects "high stress and concurrency", you would be better using SQL Server.  It just depends on what levels of traffic you expect.

Regards Mike
[MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]
My site
0