Remote Data Access to MS Access DB

I have been asked to write an Internal application to maintain an MS Access DB.

I’m new to ASP.Net, only starting with 2.0.

I need to be able to access a MS Access DB on a different server from my ASP.NET 2.0 application.

How would I make the connection to this remote Access DB?

Also, can I use VWD to do this?

0
DannyDep

Hi

You can find sample code here

And you have to configuresecurity settings that are required to connect to a remote Microsoft Access database from ASP.NET

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Young Fang
0
yyy8347
12/7/2006 1:37:10 AM

Thanks yyy8347,

Before I start,  I was just curious if the following scenario is possible:

In IIS, on the server that my application is running on,  couldn't  I just  define the App_Data folder as a Virtual Folder?

Or is that a No No, in ASP.NET land?

0
DannyDep
12/8/2006 3:36:14 AM

Hi

What do you mean by saying "define the App_Data folder as a Virtual Folder"

You can access the ACCESS database by setting remote server ip.

Sincerely,
Young Fang
0
yyy8347
12/8/2006 8:17:10 AM

If it's an internal application presumably you can locate your Access database on a shared drive - here's what I would do:

Go to the Database Explorer in VWD and click on Connect To Database Icon. In the dialog box change data source to Microsoft Access and then browse to the database location. The other settings depend on your set up (default values are usually OK) Also if there's the chance your drive letters may change in the future it would be better to set up an ODBC connection.

Database with Tables/Queries will then be loaded into Database Explorer so all you need to do is drag and drop a table/query onto a web page for an AccessDataSource ( will also create GridView) or on to a DataSet page for an objectdatasource.

Simple, no need to type in any code but you may need to find tune sql statements for asp.net. Also permissions is the main issue I use identity impersonate in the web.config file to get round this.

Tim

0
cashmore

accessing MS Access from .net
hi I am accessing ms access data base which has a table called customers. when i try to insert data into the table i am gettign the error like "Operation must use an updatable query" and the line its showing is myOleDbcommand.ExecuteNonQuery() here is my code in page lode event Sub Page_Load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) Dim StrConnectString as String Dim strStatement as String strConnectSTring = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password='';User ID=Admin;Data Source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Srinu\WebApplication2\...

Accessing an MS Access-db remote from a Unix-system
--=_alternative 004CB57FC1256AE3_= Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Hi, until now I thought it is impossible to access remotely an Access-db in an Windows NT/2000 environment. But someone told me that it is possible (she heard it from someone else, and so on...). Does anyone knows something about it? Greetings Robert Roggenbuck (Germany) --=_alternative 004CB57FC1256AE3_=-- Two ways of doing this. Use DBI::ProxyServer and DBD::Proxy or install third party ODBC software on your Unix system and set up a DSN. Then use DBD::ODBC to connect. See d...

accessing access
------=_NextPart_000_029B_01C29063.1E2098D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi! I am trying to access an access mdb file for the first time. I get the following error: Can't connect(dbi::ODBC:pfawtbls.mdb ), no database driver specified and DBI_DSN env var not set at jfa_data.pl line 147 for the code: my $dbh = DBI->connect( "dbi::ODBC:pfawtbls.mdb", "", "", ) or die "Unable to connect: ". $DBI::errstr. "<br>"; What am I missing? Thanks, Jer...

Access access
========== Hi, Everyone ... I'm going to lock this thread for now. If you have a question about working with Access in Web Matrix, please start a new thread in this forum. Otherwise, this thread will get to be unwieldy. Thanks! ========== Updated 6/29/03 Hello, everyone. I've been working with the new version of Web Matrix (version .6, build 812, available right now!). In particular, I've been playing with support for Microsoft Access, which is one of the great new features in the new release. I wrote up some notes on what I've found to share some of my experiences and to a...

how can I access MS Access db on the remote website, at design-time?
Hello! I have a remote website, which I open using Visual Studio. And there is located my data.db access file. Is it possible to create Dataset at design time, which will read the data from that db? When I create the dataset, and trying to add database, there is Oledb data provider, but it wants to work only with local files I need to add design-time dataset, to use them in ReportView. Thank you in advanceArtashes...

Accessing MS Access
Hi all, This is probably a more DB oriented question, but it came out of the = DBI. I posted a question and have tried several solutions on how to open = up an MS Access DB from the DBI::ODBC but so far have been unable to. = What I had to end up doing was create a DTS that runs every 5 minutes = which copies the table I need from Access and populates a SQL Server = table. This causes a delay on my web application such that whenever my = page overlaps while the DTS is running I get no data. So I was wondering = if there is a better way to get information from Access so I can see it =...

Remote Access access
Hello, Currently new in the Web Matrix world and I'm a little lost. I'm looking for a way to connect to my remote Access database (ISP hosted) through the Workspace pane. I have an IP adress, even DNS, but I have no idea of how to formulate it to open my connection. I'm usually using FrontPage XP who includes a connection wizard. Thanks for any help ! You can only connect to Access databases that you have file access to. This means they must be either on your local computer, or on a computer share you have access to. One solution is to copy the MDB file to your local computer,...

access data... access...
Hi, I'm trying to handle a simple structured access db in c#... but I'm a bit confused on how to do it! How can I select, insert, edit and remove records from an access database? should I use datasets? Thanks I suggest reading microsoft's Documentation on ADO.Net. OleDb is the DataProvider you want to use if you're going against an Access DB. another thing: how can I get, having an opened oledbconnection, all the tables, and the fields in those tables, from the database?...

Accessing Data via MS Access
Hi Really stupid Question :( Ive created an database with MS Access... but for the life of me I can not remember how to connect to the database - AT ALL(by using code)If I remember correctly I need to import the system.data.oledb .... but I can not remember how to use the imports statement and where to put it ect..... I havent used VS.net 2005 in quite some time.... Please could someone assist.... Then my next question is - Once ive connected to the database..... how to I COUNT the number of "Clients" i have in my Clients table...... Do I use the select query eg. ...

MS access to MS access problem
I always used MS Access Database In my programs, now I want to use SQL SERVER database and so I started to design one. but it’s a little bit confusing ,I don’t know what can I use in change of these access Data type : MS access // MS access -------------- -------------------- Memo >>>>>>>> ?? AutoNumber >>>>> ?? * and if you think there is some difference between Ms access and SQL in D...

Data Access Application Block and MS Access
Hello,  Is it possible to use the DAAB with MS Access and if so are there any How-To's or tutorials on this? Thanks,VictorVictor Corey Hi DAAB 3.1 could be used to connect Access. You can download here: Data Access Application Block & Guide: ReleasesSincerely,Young Fang...

Dbi objects to access an MS Access Db
I'm having a problem getting Tran-ide to recognize my access 2000 database. I've created a system dsn called Midas and created the attached nnsyreg.dat file and put it into e:\sybase\ImpactClient-5_3\config directory. I've also put this file in my projects directory and still get the following message. Unable to connect to session Midas. Any Advice? Thanks Brent begin 666 nnsyreg.dat M4V5S<VEO;BY-:61A<PT*"4Y.3U1?4TA!4D5$7TQ)0E)!4ED@/2!D8G0R-VUS M;V1B8PT*"4Y.3U1?1D%#5$]265]&54Y#5$E/3B ]($Y.4V5S3T1"0T9A8W1O M<GD-"@E.3E]315-?4T525D52(#T@24U...

Data Access using MS Access Database
I am writing an application I am writing in VS 2005 Web Developer.  I have been able to connect to my Access Database just fine, but I am having trouble pulling rows from the database.  I have a drop down list in order to choose an employee.  After the employee is picked I need to copy their address, city, state, and zip ifrom my table into text boxes on the form.  I have looked for a week now, but nothing goes beyond just the connection itself.  I can find plenty using sql, but not access.  Can anyone help? Most of the SQL examples you will find for use ...

Data Access Layer Generator for Access-DB
Hello, i have searched a while on the net for a 'Data Access' code generator which i can use with Microsoft Access. I have found a lot of code generators for using with SQL-server such as LLBL, "MS Data Application Blocks" or the new OlyMars as well. Can anyone tell me if there is a product -if possible with open source- out there with a similar functionality like the products mentioned above for Microsoft Access Databases. Thank you very much for any information regarding this issue.Karsten Hello, for anyone who is interested in such a generator tool... In the mea...

Web resources about - Remote Data Access to MS Access DB - asp.net.access-datasource

Microsoft Remote Web Workplace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Remote Web Workplace is a feature of Microsoft's Windows Small Business Server , Windows Home Server 2011 , and the midsize business-focused ...

Injured in the middle of nowhere:Royal Flying Doctors survey aims to reduce injuries in remote areas
... Flying Doctors Service played a key role in saving his life. The RFDS is embarking on a research project into accidents and injuries in remote ...

Apple plans to bring Siri Remote features to the iOS Remote app in 2016
Yesterday Apple released tvOS 9.1 for the new fourth-gen Apple TV which adds support for the Remote app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch just ...

The Remote app now works with the new Apple TV
... most bothersome issues with the new Apple TV has been fixed in tvOS 9.1, which landed earlier today . You can now use Apple’s official Remote ...

Only kid on remote island to get hundreds of Christmas cards from Redditors
10-year-old Aron Anderson might just be the UK's loneliest schoolboy. He lives on Out Skerries, an archipelago in the eastern Shetland Isles, ...

Sony is bringing PS4 Remote Play to PC and Mac
At E3 2015, Microsoft dropped a bombshell: backward compatibility was coming to Xbox One . The feature was finally implemented after the New ...

Google Cast Remote Display Plugin for Unity
Posted by Leon Nicholls , Developer Programs Engineer Today we launched the Google Cast Remote Display plugin for Unity to make it easy to take ...

Apple is working on a 'much improved' iPhone remote for the Apple TV
Apple is working on a "much improved" Remote app that lets anyone with an iPhone control an Apple TV, BuzzFeed News reports . "We're working ...

PS4 Remote Play officially coming to PC and Mac
The PS Vita gameplay streaming service is set to expand to desktops, President of Sony Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida confirms.

Pushbullet Update Gives Remote File Access to Your Devices
In one of its first major updates since announcing paid Pro accounts , Pushbullet has introduced a pretty big new feature in remote file sharing. ...