ODBC Connection error using IIS 5 and MS Access ODBC

Completely new at this so please forgive my ignorance!

I have an app running on IIS 5 and 6 that when connecting to a SQL Db (via ODBC) app runs fine; however when switching to a local MS Access Db, application fails, generating the following message:

"<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

  FAIL - ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Disk or network error. ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Disk or network error.</string> "
I I have confirmed that the following users have Modify rights to both the folder where the Db resides and the Db itself: ASPNet, IUSR and IWAM. I also have the anonymous access set to the IUSR account on the directory security tab for the site. Site is running under the Default Site and Application Pool (IIS6) in IIS. App pool idenity is set to Network Service. Is there a temp folder somewhere that I am missing setting the permissions to? Thanks in advance for your help!

0
pairsj
8/5/2008 5:46:44 PM
📁 asp.net.access-datasource
📃 4679 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 8 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 1472 Views

Are you using any of the membership providers in asp.net2.0
to access the .mdb file. If yes you need to set the aspnet propertie in that also.

Check whether you have ms access installed on the server or else
MS jet engine

Sid heart
0
jsiddharthj
8/5/2008 6:21:22 PM

No, I am not. I also have MS Access on the server and am able to make a connection to a VB 6 application using the same ODBC connection

0
pairsj
8/5/2008 6:27:10 PM

It would be more useful to see your connection string.  Also, is this a classic asp app or an ASP.NET one? And finally, why are you using ODBC with Access?  You should be using the native Jet provider.

Regards Mike
[MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]
My site
0
Mikesdotnetting
8/5/2008 7:06:20 PM

The connection string is simply "DSN=INVENTORY".

I am using the Microsoft Access driver found with ODBC (ODBCJT32.DLL v. 4.00.6304.00)

0
pairsj
8/5/2008 7:15:44 PM

Sorry, I am using the ODBC driver so that the client can configure themselves, as using native drivers would be beyond the technical skill of the client

0
pairsj
8/5/2008 7:17:32 PM

DSNs with Access are not recommended. As I suggested, use the Jet provider instead. http://www.connectionstrings.com/?carrier=access

Regards Mike
[MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]
My site
0
Mikesdotnetting
8/5/2008 7:55:50 PM

Mike,

 I was able to find the issue. Needed to give the IUSR Modfy rights to the the following directory: C:\Document and Settings\<Machine Name>\ASPNET\Local Settings\Temp

Believe that we still would have had the same issue if we used the Jet provider.

Thanks for suggestions!

0
pairsj
8/5/2008 8:04:13 PM

Yes you would have got the same problem using the Jet provider, but I would advise you to use it nevertheless.

Regards Mike
[MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]
My site
0