How to query a query...

I'm working on converting an Access DB that I created into an ASP.NET application (and attempting to learn ASP at the same time...).  One of my queries was very complex and required running a different query first, and then working off of that one.  Any suggestions on the best way to do this in ASP?

The following is a sample of code I'm using so you can see the type of data-binding I'm using. Thanks for the help!
myConnection = New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; " +"Data Source=" + Server.MapPath("/EquipmentCheckout.mdb"))
strSQLQuery = "SELECT ClassID as id, Class as name FROM TClassPeriodList order by Class;"
myCommand = New OleDbCommand(strSQLQuery, myConnection)
myConnection.Open()
myDataReader = myCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection)
ClassList.DataSource = myDataReader
ClassList.DataValueField = "id"
ClassList.DataTextField = "name"
ClassList.DataBind()
0
Phoenix00017

Let's try backing up a bit - - - what exactly do you want to accomplish, with the database?
David Wier
MCP/ASPInsider
ASPNet101.com - where to look first!
augustwind
8/4/2003 8:28:55 PM
Sorry 'bout the delayed reply...

Basically, the database tracks equipment checked-out by faculty at a school. I want to be able to show what equipment is available on a certain date. So, I first queried the database to find out what equipment is in use. Then, I compared that with the table that contains all of the equipment, and took everything in that second table that was not found by the query (thus, everything currently not in use). Is there a way I can do this in a single SQL statement (I am somewhat new to all of this, so I could very easily be missing something obvious...)? And if not, is there a way to store the results of the query and then compare it to the query on the equipment table? Thanks!
0
Phoenix00017
8/7/2003 3:39:41 PM
I had problems getting nested queries to work in Access, but one workaround solution I found was to produce my two seperate datasets and then make a third one.  In your case I would iterate through the "all equipment" dataset and add to the third "results" dataset everything that wasn't found in the first "in use" dataset.  Hope this helps, there's probably a more elegant way of doing things.
0
gellytoes
8/7/2003 6:44:45 PM
It can be done easily. A query can be treated exactly like a table. Just reference it in the SQL query the same way you would reference a table. Give it a shot, and if it doesn't work, post the SQL you are using, and what the problem is.

AutoFed
0
autofed

How to Query A Query
I have been trying to build a crosstab report that reports everydate within a selected range across the top and specific row information. 7/1 7/2 7/3 . . . Name Detail1 Detail2 Detail3 Name Detail1 What I get as output is only the dates that contain information in the rows. I can get the information I need by using a query within a query (nested). Can a nested query be done in Informaker 5? What about version 6 or 7? Thanks for your help Convert your SQL to syntax, and you can write anything you want. So if your DB support...

Query about Queries
Hello all, As a relatively new user to Sybase I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. We are getting ready to go live with our database and I am wondering what types of queries I should be running for system performance purposes. If anyone has any suggestions they would be more than appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jerry ...

Query a Query
I have a result set in a query. Is it possible to query this query? (no specific SQL dialect, can it be done generically?) Petros -- PETROS GAVRIELIDES wrote: > I have a result set in a query. > Is it possible to query this query? > > (no specific SQL dialect, can it be done generically?) There is a generic answer to your question: Yes, there is a construct called a sub-query that allows you, in 1 SQL statement, to query from a query. But, generically speaking, not all DB engines support this construct. For instance, Firebird only added it just over a y...

Query Analyzer / Query in MS Access
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, How can create query analyzer  / Query in MS Access using Vb.NEt 2003 (web base)... Can give me sample program for this... For Database i using MS Access 2003... Thanks...

Query in Access not working in VS Query Builder !!!!
hello guys i have a query in my MS access DB running & showing results , but when i try to use it by query builder in VS 2005, the VS see it as a function !!. and it doesnt even work when i copy the sql to the query builder here is the code :SELECT DISTINCT PositionTbl.PositionCode, EmpPosition.PafNo, EmpNames. FN, EmpNames.LN, TblEmployee.ActMobDt, TblEmployee.ActDeMobDt, (SELECT SUM(TimeSheetTbl.SatST + TimeSheetTbl.SatOT + TimeSheetTbl.SunST + TimeSheetTbl.SunOT + TimeSheetTbl.MonST + TimeSheetTbl.MonOT ...

Querying a Queried result...
Hi, is there such a thing as querying a queried result? Example, query 1 produces Result A. Result A's table is stored 'somewhere' to be queried by query 2 which produces Result B If there is, could you kindly direct me to a website with the appropiate article on this topic? Thanks, -Gabian- Yes there is, querying a View is querying a query rewrite. Send me an email the address is in my profile I will send you a Views tutorial I wrote a while back and run a search for query results from View in your BOL(books online) for code samples. Hope this helps. Kind regards, ...

Having trouble querying a query?
I'm trying to transition my reports from Access 2000 into Infomaker 7.0 but I'm having trouble combining two queries together. In Access you had to option of pulling tables or queries as your data, I don't see this option in Infomaker, am I missing something. Thanks from a newbie... IM doesn't have this feature, since it adheres to general Ansi SQL standards. If you show me the Access query, maybe I can give you a workaround. Are you querying an Access DB or a different DB, e.g. Oracle? -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your ...

Query of Queried data
I am new to asp.net after working with coldfusion.  I have created a datagrid from a query of a sql database.  I am interested to know how can I create another datagrid which will process a query of the data in the original grid.  So essentually it is a query of a query. Thank you   You want to filter on the result of the first query? The easiest way I can think of, is to put the data in a datatable, then use the select and dataview features of the datatable. Hi,uusquintsYou can filter the datatable in the code-behind and bind the result to the 2nd datagird:...

Query Within A Query?
I have a table that looks kinda like thisTag         Info              SignOutDate1             Hi                   09/03/20051             Hi                   09/02/20051   &n...

SQLite query and AS in query
This is my code. {code} q := TSQLQuery.Create(nil); try q.SQLConnection := MainForm.sqlite1; q.SQL.Text := sql; q.Open; finally q.Free; end; {code} And this is my SQL select id as _id, name, note as description from notes q.Fields[0].FieldName is id, it should be _id q.Fields[2].FieldName is note, it should be description Is this normal or am I missing something Grega This is frustrating. I can't work at all. http://pretty-software.com/images/xe4.jpg Edited by: grega loboda on Jun 4, 2013 1:40 AM http://stackoverflow.com/question...

Query and Sub-Queries
I have a SELECT statement that has two sub queries in it. The 'where' clause in the main query filters a TRADE_DATE field, for example: ...... where TRADE_DT >= '2003/01/01' and TRADE_DT <= '2003/01/31'. Since I only have one date field(TRADE_DATE), I want the sub-query to query where TRADE_DT <= '2003/01/31'. But its not working. I have to hard code the '2003/01/31'. Now I know I can make a dynamic view in VB, but an ideas of how I can do it in SQL? Here's my statement: select T.BROKER_SEQ_NO,B.BROKER_NAME,B.B...

Query a query in linq
Hi, I have some code that gets some results:var GlobalTable = from p as db.table                             select p; Now I want to run a query in link on the results stored in GlobalTable. Whats the best way to do this? keepin' it real in the ATX. Exactly the way you ran the first query: var GlobalTableSubset = from gt as GlobalTable                        ...

Exacute query against query
I have a query which selects all dates from my database between 2 date values which is then entered into my dataset. I thin want to run through the dataset totalling the value of a certain column but only if dates match e.g. 27/02/2007          2.21 27/02/2007          3.10 27/02/2007          2.10                           Tota...

query runs fine in Query Analyser but not the Query Debugger
I'm running a query, actually its an insert that works when using the TSQL below. However when I try to use the debugger to step through and using the exact same values as those below I get the following error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Invalid character value for cast specification Its Killing me because everything else works, but this. Can somebody help. DECLARE @NoteID INT,-- NULL OUTPUT, @Note_Description NVARCHAR(3000),-- = NULL, @Date DateTime,-- = NULL OUTPUT, @ByWho NVARCHAR(30),-- = NULL, @FK_Action_Performed NVARCHAR(40),...

Web resources about - How to query a query... - asp.net.access-datasource

Query - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Qubole Debuts Presto-As-A-Service, Based On Facebook-Created Open-Source Interactive Query System
Facebook announced last November that it would open-source interactive query system Presto , and now cloud big data platform provider Qubole ...

faroo_p2p: FAROO Search: Spelling correction, Query completion and Instant search http://t.co/TgHECDe5 ...
faroo_p2p: FAROO Search: Spelling correction, Query completion and Instant search http://t.

Query Strings - Quora
Quora is your best source for knowledge.

A Query A Quest A Quotation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
One of a series of library education posters designed by Peabody Visual Aids in the 1930s and 1940s, which I salvaged from a throw-away pile ...

US to query China on passport maps
The US will raise concerns with China over a new map in Chinese passports which details claims to disputed maritime territory.

Rio Tinto worker sacked after saying 'fk you' to boss over safety query
The Fair Work Commission has answered that burning question: Is it fair to sack someone for saying &quot;*f*ck you&quot; to the boss?

Photos query over student who died in 40m cliff fall
Police are investigating whether a French student who plunged 40 metres off a cliff in the Royal National Park was taking or posing for photographs ...

'Pies query Cloke frees after AFL loss
Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley stresses Travis Cloke's lopsided free-kick count was not the No.1 issue after they lost to Richmond by five ...

Socceroos: Ange Postecoglou gets shirty with Tajik official's 'disrespectful' quit query
Socceroo boss Ange Postecoglou bristled, captain Tim Cahill looked bemused, and the Australian press corps could barely surpress their surprise. ...