Are Access databases okay to use on the web?

I've been programming in Perl and PHP with MySQL on Linux for several years.  Now that I'm expanding into the Windows world, I have some questions before I start to build some things I've been thinking about.

Are Access database files really okay to use for a web site?  I built an small web application for a lightly-visited web site that used ASP.NET and an Access database file but for a site that will have more traffic (but certainly not the likes of amazon.com), is Access a good idea?  Can it keep up with a higher transaction load than simply displaying small amounts of text data?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0
mstanchek

If the site is very small and the data access relatively simple, then Access will do you fine. You should remember though that Access was originally designed for use with very low number of users, and web applications

The recommendation, though, would be to look at the lighter weight versions of SQL Server (SQL Server Express and MSDE, which offer both better performance and richer capabilities).

The only real advice, though, is to choose the database engine that meets the price/performance/functionality requirements for the application.

Regards

Dave
0
DMW

Accessing the PC database using a web-page and PowerBuilder 5.0 front-end and MS Access Database
I am trying to connect my web page, which is the standard HTML Explorier applet to my MS Access Database by way of PowerBuilder 5.0. I would like the steps and PowerBuilder Script to make this work. I was told that this is possible, but I don't know where to start, where to place the needed Script, and how to get the link on the web page to call up Powerbuilder to access the MS Access database. Help! You create a PB user object that has methods that do the access. You deploy that as a distributed PB component and then access it using Web.PB. Read more on distributed PB and...

Permission problem with access database using vb.net web service
Hi all,I wrote a simple web service that has two public methods. It uses Access database. As long as the codes are accessing the database read only, it is fine. The methods can query data without having any problem. But when it comes to writing some data to database, I get "use an updatable query" error, which means the database is read only. But it is not read only because aspx pages can write data to it without having any problem. The folder and file permissions for database file is correct. When i googled the issue i found out that web services acce...

Data Access using MS Access Database
I am writing an application I am writing in VS 2005 Web Developer.  I have been able to connect to my Access Database just fine, but I am having trouble pulling rows from the database.  I have a drop down list in order to choose an employee.  After the employee is picked I need to copy their address, city, state, and zip ifrom my table into text boxes on the form.  I have looked for a week now, but nothing goes beyond just the connection itself.  I can find plenty using sql, but not access.  Can anyone help? Most of the SQL examples you will find for use ...

accessing ACCESS database
Hi, I am trying to write a script that copies an information from ACCESS but it gives me the following error: Can't call method "Sql" on an undefined value at franowner.pl.txt line 4. Here's the script: use Win32::ODBC; $DSN="db1"; $db = new Win32::ODBC("db1"); $db->Sql("SELECT owner_first_name, owner_last_name FROM Owners WHERE ID=11"); if ($db->Error()) { print "Error: $db->Error"; } statement:\n$DBI:errstr\n"; ($ownerfname,$ownerlname) = $db->FetchRow(); print "Database results: first ...

Using VMS Perl to access a Microsoft Access database
WARNING: Perl novice on board... I suddenly find myself in the need of being able to access a Microsoft Access database from my VMS system. I figure Perl might be a good way to do this. However, I seem to be lost in the morass of verbage that talks about accessing a database via Perl so I'm turning here in the hopes of obtaining some hints or pointers (or, at least some water wings). What module(s) do I need to load into Perl? Do I need any additional software? Has anyone done this? Can it be done? I had thought that the most likely way to accomplish this would be for P...

Only want to use password for Web access not Client access
I am using GroupWise 6.5.1 and recently set up Web Access (but so far only accessible internally) and had to set a GW password in order to use Web Access. This is fine but when my users are here at work I don't want for them to have to bother with using a password when using the GW client. Is there a setting that I can turn off or a way around this? Thanks. Any assistance is appreciated. No password required with NDS/eDirectory is an option. -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com) PLEASE: Do n...

Accessing web service (that accesses a database in windows authentication mode)
Hi, We have a situation where we created a web service on one of the servers. This web service accesses a SQL Server database in 'windows authentication' mode. When we access the web service from within the server, it works fine but when we try to acess the web service from within the LAN or outside, it is failing to access the database. We are using IIS 5.0.  Please let us know if we have to make any setting changes for this to work. Thanks RS   sb_rs:This web service accesses a SQL Server database in 'windows authentication' mode. When we access the web se...

Data Access Layer using a Microsoft Access 2003 Database
Trying to pass a parameter to a query on a datset over a access database..   Using the following SQL statement   SELECT     ProductID, ProductName, SupplierID, CategoryID, QuantityPerUnit, UnitPrice, UnitsInStock, UnitsOnOrder, ReorderLevel, DiscontinuedFROM         ProductsWHERE     (CategoryID = [catid])   The where clause in the statement keeps putting it back to WHERE     (CategoryID = catid)   and when I run query it throughs an error of a parameter is not pass...

Access access
========== Hi, Everyone ... I'm going to lock this thread for now. If you have a question about working with Access in Web Matrix, please start a new thread in this forum. Otherwise, this thread will get to be unwieldy. Thanks! ========== Updated 6/29/03 Hello, everyone. I've been working with the new version of Web Matrix (version .6, build 812, available right now!). In particular, I've been playing with support for Microsoft Access, which is one of the great new features in the new release. I wrote up some notes on what I've found to share some of my experiences and to a...

accessing access
------=_NextPart_000_029B_01C29063.1E2098D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi! I am trying to access an access mdb file for the first time. I get the following error: Can't connect(dbi::ODBC:pfawtbls.mdb ), no database driver specified and DBI_DSN env var not set at jfa_data.pl line 147 for the code: my $dbh = DBI->connect( "dbi::ODBC:pfawtbls.mdb", "", "", ) or die "Unable to connect: ". $DBI::errstr. "<br>"; What am I missing? Thanks, Jer...

accessing my database using VB.NET
hi all! i'm thinking of besides using ASP.NET to access my data in my web hoster's server. I want 2 access it using VB.NET program. I want 2 do this because it safe time for employees to download the web page. I will use ASP.NET for customers to access, but VB.NET program for my staff to access. But how do i it (Accessing the database using VB.NET program)? Thanks!All The Best :) There is a solution in the VS.Net walkthroughs which uses XML web services to distribute data to both a web application and a winform application. Here is a link: Walkthrough: Creating a Distribu...

Access databases using ADO.Net
Hi I am using Visual Studio.Net 2003 and SQL 2000 Web applications run using the ASPNET user account. I have to set up this account and grant it permissions before my Web application will have access to a SQL database. How do I grant permissions ?. There are two permissions in SQL Server the Database permissions  in the database and the Server permissions under security in Enterprise manager.  If you need more help post again.  Hope this helps.Kind regards,Gift Peddie...

Using DSN to access ASE12.5 database from a MS ACCESS DB
I recently installed a Sybase ASE12.5 server. After that, I was able to set up an ODBC DSN. However, when I created a hot link from my ACCESS db, I was able to see the table list displayed. I then selected a table, and click on the 'OK' button, immediately I received the following error: Reserverd error (-7747): there is no message for this error. My machine is a WIN2000 machine. I have done the same thing for ASE11.9 and ASE12.0 and have never run into this problem. So, can someone ran into the same probelm and have solution? -- Peter Lo peter.lo@tra...

Can you access a Database using a web service?
Maybe this is not a web service problem but I'm having a bunch of trouble with this.   I have an AutoComplete.asmx file which consists only of:<%@ WebService Language="C#" CodeBehind="~/Services/AutoComplete.cs" Class="AutoComplete" %> In my AutoComplete.cs file, I have code to retrieve from the database as follows:  using (SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["DBName"].ConnectionString)) { SqlCommand myCmd = new SqlCommand("my_SP&qu...

Web resources about - Are Access databases okay to use on the web? - asp.net.access-datasource

ERISA and All Claim databases
... laws, on the books in 18 states, requiring self-insured employers to report data about the prices they pay to “all payer claims databases.” ...

Sanders’ campaign looses access to N.H. Democratic voter database - The Boston Globe Sanders’ campaign ...
... the presidential campaign of US Senator Bernie Sanders has been denied access to the New Hampshire Democratic Party’s valuable voter database ...

Under pressure, DNC restores Bernie Sanders campaign's access to their database - Videos - CBS News
A strange twist in the race for the democratic presidential nomination: the campaign of Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has filed a complaint ...

Over 680TB of data exposed in MongoDB databases
There are at least 35,000 publicly accessible and insecure MongoDB databases on the Internet, and their number appears to be growing. Combined ...

Database error publishes data of 3 million Hello Kitty fans
Online researcher Chris Vickery uncovered a database this weekend containing the personal information of 3.3 million accounts associated with ...

MacKeeper Leak Highlights Danger of Misconfigured Databases
The Shodan port-scanning service finds at least 35,000 MongoDB databases accessible without a password.

OracleVoice: Oracle Challenges SAP On In-Memory Database Claims
Companies that run SAP’s applications should know that most of those applications can perform much better on Oracle Database than on any other ...