accessing remote access database

Hi to all,

When ever i need to add or delete something from the mdb file where I cant do it in my web site, i am downloading the mdb file, doing the modifications then uploading again.I want my code running on localhost to reach the mdb file on my web site and do any modifications.

I have tried to

replace the following code

string path = Request.MapPath(@"mydb.mdb")

with

string path = Request.MapPath(@"http://www.mysite.com/mydb.mdb")

but i get the error "A virtual path is expected. "

Is there a way to reach a remotely hosted mdb file ?

Thanks in advance

0
kolarman

short answer : No, use a real RDBMS if you want to do this sort of thing.

0
JeffreyABecker
5/20/2005 4:07:02 PM

thank you for your reply Jeffrey.

I am looking for one now.

0
kolarman
5/20/2005 5:18:24 PM

May I suggest Firebird, I use it for my personal site and like it very much.  MySql is fairly standard, but most people violate the license & fail to publish their source code when using the gpl version.  I've been told that PostgreSql is very Oracle like (im an Oracle whore), but their DataProvider is still not feature complete.  One nice thing is that most Opensource DataProviders seem to be implemented in pure C# as opposed to calling out to a dll.  this means that if you wanted to get 3rd party hosting of the DB & restrict access to just a few IPs, you wouldnt have to install the db client on the webserver, you could just plunk the Dataprovider dll into the bin directory.

of course if you're willing to pay, there are also a number of excelent commerical RDBMS like Oracle, SqlServer etc.

0
JeffreyABecker

How to access remote Access database?
Hello everyone, What are the permissions we have to give in the Acess db which is in remote? It would be really great if you share me some ideas. Have a good one. Thanks!!!    http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/why-can-t-i-access-a-database-or-text-file-on-another-server.htmlhttp://forums.asp.net/t/1381295.aspx...

accessing access
------=_NextPart_000_029B_01C29063.1E2098D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi! I am trying to access an access mdb file for the first time. I get the following error: Can't connect(dbi::ODBC:pfawtbls.mdb ), no database driver specified and DBI_DSN env var not set at jfa_data.pl line 147 for the code: my $dbh = DBI->connect( "dbi::ODBC:pfawtbls.mdb", "", "", ) or die "Unable to connect: ". $DBI::errstr. "<br>"; What am I missing? Thanks, Jer...

Access access
========== Hi, Everyone ... I'm going to lock this thread for now. If you have a question about working with Access in Web Matrix, please start a new thread in this forum. Otherwise, this thread will get to be unwieldy. Thanks! ========== Updated 6/29/03 Hello, everyone. I've been working with the new version of Web Matrix (version .6, build 812, available right now!). In particular, I've been playing with support for Microsoft Access, which is one of the great new features in the new release. I wrote up some notes on what I've found to share some of my experiences and to a...

Remote Access access
Hello, Currently new in the Web Matrix world and I'm a little lost. I'm looking for a way to connect to my remote Access database (ISP hosted) through the Workspace pane. I have an IP adress, even DNS, but I have no idea of how to formulate it to open my connection. I'm usually using FrontPage XP who includes a connection wizard. Thanks for any help ! You can only connect to Access databases that you have file access to. This means they must be either on your local computer, or on a computer share you have access to. One solution is to copy the MDB file to your local computer,...

accessing ACCESS database
Hi, I am trying to write a script that copies an information from ACCESS but it gives me the following error: Can't call method "Sql" on an undefined value at franowner.pl.txt line 4. Here's the script: use Win32::ODBC; $DSN="db1"; $db = new Win32::ODBC("db1"); $db->Sql("SELECT owner_first_name, owner_last_name FROM Owners WHERE ID=11"); if ($db->Error()) { print "Error: $db->Error"; } statement:\n$DBI:errstr\n"; ($ownerfname,$ownerlname) = $db->FetchRow(); print "Database results: first ...

Centrailized access for access database
i want to convert a vb application into asp.net  and back end as access database.how to get an centrailzed access using access database and thru web forms.any help.  Jai Ganesh. J , GSD ,IndiaPlease Mark As Answer If my reply helped you. any help would be more appericated Jai Ganesh. J , GSD ,IndiaPlease Mark As Answer If my reply helped you. could not found any reply Jai Ganesh. J , GSD ,IndiaPlease Mark As Answer If my reply helped you.  Any possible solutions would be more appreciated Jai Ganesh. J , GSD ,IndiaPlease Mark As Answer If my reply help...

Accessing a Microsoft Access Database
Hello all, I'm relatively new to the list, so I'm sorry if I'm going over old ground here ! I would like to use PERL to view information in a Microsoft Access Database and then use this information in other programs away from the Database. Trouble is, I'm slightly confused by all the information on offer and am not sure=20 of the best way to proceed to allow PERL to gain the information in the Database and I'm also unsure exactly what I need to install on the machine. Does anybody know of a useful web site that I can look at or does anybody have any simpl...

Problem in accessing access database
Hi  I am establishing connection with MS access. MS Access Database is placed in the same directory as the project.Connection string is " "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=testdb.mdb"   But I am getting the error  the file "testdb.mdb" not found   Can anyone please tell me what is wrong with the connection string Regards KaranRegardsKaran GuptaFor .net,Javascript and Sql server articles and interview question visithttp://guptakaran21.googlepages.com/main Try putting the DB in the APP_Data folder or changing 'testdb.mdb&#...

Accessing an Access Database on Linux
------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C1DB0F.7665F3F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I need to access a MS Access Database residing on a Linux box and perform some queries. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C1DB0F.7665F3F0-- ...

Exception accessing Access database
Hi, I am trying to connect to access database. dim objcon as new OleDbConnection("Provider = Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source = C:\ASPNET\banking.mdb") dim objcmd as new OleDbDataAdapter("select * from Names", objcon) dim ds as DataSet = new DataSet() objcmd.Fill(ds,"Names") MyDataList.DataSource = ds.Tables("Names").DefaultView MyDataList.DataBind() The above is the piece of code where i am getting error The error is Source Error: Line 10: dim ds as DataSet = new DataSet() Line 11: ...

accessing MS Access from .net
hi I am accessing ms access data base which has a table called customers. when i try to insert data into the table i am gettign the error like "Operation must use an updatable query" and the line its showing is myOleDbcommand.ExecuteNonQuery() here is my code in page lode event Sub Page_Load(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) Dim StrConnectString as String Dim strStatement as String strConnectSTring = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password='';User ID=Admin;Data Source=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Srinu\WebApplication2\...

Accessing a MS Access database
Hi, I would like to do a lookup into an Access database, and display the result in a grid. I'm an embedded programmer being thrown into the world of .net, asp, VB, and databases so I don't know where to start :-) ...... can anyone help me ? Thanks. Really jus ta matter of making a connection, doing your query, and displaying results. Here is a sample from a module I use. The data is bound to a datagrid. Sub LoadSchedule() Dim strSrc As String = CType(Settings("src"), String) If Trim(strSrc) <> "" Then ...

Problems accessing access database
Running netware 6.1 with SP1A. When several users access the access database the second user tries to open you will receive a message that says there is a table that is exclusivly open by another user, so we can not open the document. How to make it work with databases. Is it possible that you are using an 4.90SP1 client? If yes, you should use 4.90SP1a instead -- Marcel (using XanaNews 1.16.1.6) I can resist everything but temptation >Running netware 6.1 with SP1A. Actually 6.5 I suspect. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://sup...

accessing remote ip address database in ms access on webserver
hi i have pc on which my msaccess database is present which collect data from local network , and i have another web server on which asp.net 2.0 application runs, both pc and server are far apart physically so both having internet and own different ip addresses, so want to access my data from pc ie ms access 2003 database file in my asp.net application on server ,can anybody guide me how it can be acchived. thank you, It is apparently possible to connect to a remote machine and read an Access database: http://databases.aspfaq.com/database/why-can-t-i-access-a-database-or-text-file-on...

Web resources about - accessing remote access database - asp.net.access-datasource

Accessing the Future Fund a sensible proposal, says super expert Daryl Dixon
As portfolios go, the Future Fund's asset allocation is concentrated in higher-risk investment, including equities and alternative assets.

Accessing my Super
I'm 57 - can I access my super?

Australia, US accessing Indonesian telephone data, leaked documents show
Newly disclosed documents from former US intelligence contractor Edward Snowden have revealed that Australian intelligence efforts against Indonesia ...

Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke detained at Melbourne Airport, accuses Customs officials of accessing ...
Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke has accused Customs officials of accessing hundreds of patients' sensitive records on his laptop after detaining ...