Powerbuilder 9.0.1 datawindow activex deployment issue

Hello again.

I am trying to deploy the datawindow ActiveX, among other
things.  It really does not look like the PSDWC90.CAB file
does what it needs to do.  Reason I say so is, I can not get
a deployment to work on a User's PC unless I install
powerbuilder.  Does anyone have any insight, or am I the
only one using this technology? :)
sybase.web-targets 444 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Use the window activex, you can associate much more
functionality with your datawindow
> Hello again.
>
> I am trying to deploy the datawindow ActiveX, among other
> things.  It really does not look like the PSDWC90.CAB file
> does what it needs to do.  Reason I say so is, I can not
> get a deployment to work on a User's PC unless I install
> powerbuilder.  Does anyone have any insight, or am I the
> only one using this technology? :)
0
dw
10/23/2003 8:31:54 PM
I would consider this, except for all of the baggage that
you have to distribute.  Also, I read that the window
ActiveX, and I assume datawindow controls on the window, use
the local machines data sources - which would require
locally defined data connections - which would be bad.

Am I mistaken?

> Use the window activex, you can associate much more
> functionality with your datawindow
> > Hello again.
> >
> > I am trying to deploy the datawindow ActiveX, among
> > other things.  It really does not look like the
> > PSDWC90.CAB file does what it needs to do.  Reason I say
> > so is, I can not get a deployment to work on a User's PC
> > unless I install powerbuilder.  Does anyone have any
> > insight, or am I the only one using this technology? :)
Do you have the jdk and the database java middleware installed?

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
http://www.pb9books.com

<dw-extreme> wrote in message news:3f983bba.23c4.846930886@sybase.com...
> Use the window activex, you can associate much more
> functionality with your datawindow
> > Hello again.
> >
> > I am trying to deploy the datawindow ActiveX, among other
> > things.  It really does not look like the PSDWC90.CAB file
> > does what it needs to do.  Reason I say so is, I can not
> > get a deployment to work on a User's PC unless I install
> > powerbuilder.  Does anyone have any insight, or am I the
> > only one using this technology? :)

0
Terry
10/31/2003 10:55:31 PM
Thanks for your response.

Yes, I have been troubleshooting this for a while.  I have a
machine that has the JDK and Oracle Thin Client installed.
When I access the CAB though a web page and go through the
install, I get a message back saying "Cannot Connect" - with
no detailed error information.

If I then install powerbuilder 9, with the ActiveX control,
it works.

Are there any registry settings or ActiveX/PB Java related
files I should look for on the client machine?  I believe
the issue is with the PB cab.

> Do you have the jdk and the database java middleware
> installed?
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
> http://www.pb9books.com
> product enhancement requests:
> http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement
>

> <dw-extreme> wrote in message
> > news:3f983bba.23c4.846930886@sybase.com... Use the
> > window activex, you can associate much more
> > > functionality with your datawindow Hello again.
> > >
> > > I am trying to deploy the datawindow ActiveX, among
> > > other things.  It really does not look like the
> > > PSDWC90.CAB file does what it needs to do.  Reason I
> > > say so is, I can not get a deployment to work on a
> > > User's PC unless I install powerbuilder.  Does anyone
> > > have any insight, or am I the only one using this
> technology? :)

The dwActiveX must be registered on the client PC.  You can do that
automatically by using a CODEBASE parameter.  See the Datawindow
Programmer's guide for more detail.

--

<b findley> wrote in message news:3fa82926.6d2c.846930886@sybase.com...
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Yes, I have been troubleshooting this for a while.  I have a
> machine that has the JDK and Oracle Thin Client installed.
> When I access the CAB though a web page and go through the
> install, I get a message back saying "Cannot Connect" - with
> no detailed error information.
>
> If I then install powerbuilder 9, with the ActiveX control,
> it works.
>
> Are there any registry settings or ActiveX/PB Java related
> files I should look for on the client machine?  I believe
> the issue is with the PB cab.
>
> > Do you have the jdk and the database java middleware
> > installed?
> >
> > --
> > Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> > http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
> > http://www.pb9books.com
> > product enhancement requests:
> > http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement
> >

> > <dw-extreme> wrote in message
> > > news:3f983bba.23c4.846930886@sybase.com... Use the
> > > window activex, you can associate much more

> > technology? :)

0
Terry
11/7/2003 11:52:22 PM
Right, I am including a codebase argument in the <object>
tag which points to the version 9 cab for the PB DW activeX.
 The install process occurs - yet I still get the "cannot
connect" error when the page renders.

> The dwActiveX must be registered on the client PC.  You
> can do that automatically by using a CODEBASE parameter.
> See the Datawindow Programmer's guide for more detail.
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
> http://www.pb9books.com
> product enhancement requests:
> http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement
>

> <b findley> wrote in message
> > news:3fa82926.6d2c.846930886@sybase.com... Thanks for
> your response. >
> > Yes, I have been troubleshooting this for a while.  I
> > have a machine that has the JDK and Oracle Thin Client
> > installed. When I access the CAB though a web page and
> > go through the install, I get a message back saying
> > "Cannot Connect" - with no detailed error information.
> >
> > If I then install powerbuilder 9, with the ActiveX
> > control, it works.
> >
> > Are there any registry settings or ActiveX/PB Java
> > related files I should look for on the client machine?
> > I believe the issue is with the PB cab.
> >
> > > Do you have the jdk and the database java middleware
> > > installed?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> > > http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
> > > http://www.pb9books.com
> > > product enhancement requests:
> > > http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement

> > > one using this technology? :)

Interesting, I have narrowed the error down to the
following:

The jdk14 folder must exist in the shared/powerbuilder
folder.  I am not 100% sure.

Does this mean I must install the JDK that comes with
powerbuilder?  I beleive I have another JDK installed on my
machines.  I have to admit, I am a novice when it comes to
java.  I would greatly appreciate any help.  I will keep
working on the issue in the meantime.  But the good news is
that it looks like everything else is ok.

> Right, I am including a codebase argument in the <object>
> tag which points to the version 9 cab for the PB DW
> activeX.
>  The install process occurs - yet I still get the "cannot
> connect" error when the page renders.
>
> > The dwActiveX must be registered on the client PC.  You
> > can do that automatically by using a CODEBASE parameter.
> > See the Datawindow Programmer's guide for more detail.
> >
> > --
> > Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> > http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
> > http://www.pb9books.com
> > product enhancement requests:
> > http://www.isug.com/cgi-bin/ISUG2/submit_enhancement
> >

> > <b findley> wrote in message
> > > news:3fa82926.6d2c.846930886@sybase.com... Thanks for
> > your response. >
> > > Yes, I have been troubleshooting this for a while.  I
> > > have a machine that has the JDK and Oracle Thin Client
> > > installed. When I access the CAB though a web page and
> > > go through the install, I get a message back saying
> > > "Cannot Connect" - with no detailed error information.
> > >
> > > If I then install powerbuilder 9, with the ActiveX
> > > control, it works.
> > >
> > > Are there any registry settings or ActiveX/PB Java
> > > related files I should look for on the client machine?
> > > I believe the issue is with the PB cab.

> > > :) >

Ugh.  So, the JRE folder must exist.  Is this specific to
Powerbuilder 9?  If this is the case, then the PBDWC9.CAB is
not enough to handle the distribution of the powerbuilder
activeX.  Is there a way to install the JRE via a cab as
well?