Upgrading 11.0.1 to 11.0.3

Why is it required that, to upgrade, the installation needs to be made into
a new sybase directory? More importantly, what is the easiest way to
maintain your directory structure without making symbolic links for every
upgrade. I'd like to keep the following structure:

/opt/sybase
/opt/sybase/bin
/opt/sybase/data

.... and for every upgrade, I'd like to keep the binaries, etc. in the same
location so that I don't have to modify scripts to point to new binary, data
directories.

What am I missing?

0
Terran
1/21/1998 5:12:00 PM
sybase.sqlserver.unix 1493 articles. 0 followers. Follow

If you are willing to accept the risk of a longer outage in case you need
rollback to 11.0.1, you can continue to use the same directory for each new
release.  During the upgrade, both the old and new directories must exist.
After a successful upgrade, you can overwrite the 11.0.1 with 11.0.3.  I
would
not recommend this procedure for a major product upgrade (i.e. 11.0.3 to
11.5),
and you should also analyze possible side effects on other Sybase products
that may be installed in the same directory (Rep Server, Open Client,
etc.).

This procedure has worked successfully for me for 11.0.1 to 11.0.2,
and 11.0.2 to 11.0.3:

-- backup the current (11.0.1) directory structure
-- install 11.0.3 in a separate directory
-- copy the <server>.cfg from 11.0.1 to 11.0.3 directory
-- check database consistency; backup everything
-- upgrade using sybinit in the 11.0.3/install directory (be sure to read
the installation guide for details)
-- verify upgrade; check database consistency; backup everything
-- shutdown 11.0.3 server
-- recursively copy 11.0.3 directory to 11.0.1 directory
-- if you have an 11.0.3 EBF/SWR, install in a separate directory and
recursively copy to the target directory
-- restart server
-- run any install .sql scripts required for the EBF/SWR

As with any upgrade, be prepared to rollback to the previous vesion.  Be
sure you
have valid database dumps and Sybase product directory backups before
beginning
the upgrade.

Doug Michael
Attachmate Corporation

Terran Vigil <terranv@digitalthink.com> wrote in article
<L3MQbaoJ9GA.128@forums.powersoft.com>...
> Why is it required that, to upgrade, the installation needs to be made
into
> a new sybase directory? More importantly, what is the easiest way to
> maintain your directory structure without making symbolic links for every
> upgrade. I'd like to keep the following structure:
>
> /opt/sybase
> /opt/sybase/bin
> /opt/sybase/data
>
> ... and for every upgrade, I'd like to keep the binaries, etc. in the
same
> location so that I don't have to modify scripts to point to new binary,
data
> directories.
>
> What am I missing?

0
Doug
1/21/1998 6:11:45 PM
Terran Vigil wrote:

> Why is it required that, to upgrade, the installation needs to be made into
> a new sybase directory? More importantly, what is the easiest way to
> maintain your directory structure without making symbolic links for every
> upgrade. I'd like to keep the following structure:
>
> /opt/sybase
> /opt/sybase/bin
> /opt/sybase/data
>
> ... and for every upgrade, I'd like to keep the binaries, etc. in the same
> location so that I don't have to modify scripts to point to new binary, data
> directories.
>
> What am I missing?

Just my 2 cents worth ...

At my current client we often have several Sybase 'products' installed
on one machine ... a couple different EBF versions of SQL Server ... a
couple EBF versions of Rep Server ... the old and new versions of OpenCS
.... and on test/development boxes we will have ASE.  Except for ASE we
actually have this kind of environment in production.

Since we upgrade/modify different Sybase products at different times ...
and some of these have different 'common' binaries (e.g., isql, bcp,
defncopy) ... we just keep each version of Sybase products in their own
directories and make sure we use the correct settings for SYBASE and
PATH.

Yeah, a little messy ... but not as messy as trying to sort out which
versions of which programs go where?? *ack*

--

Mark Parsons
Iron Horse, Inc.

Upgrade of 11.0.0 to 11.0.1 AND 11.0 EBF's
X86 Update of 11.0.0 to 11.0.1 was released 03 Mar 2009 Update of 11.0.0 to build 1598 was released 23 Apr 2009 Should 11.0.0 to build 1598 be applied to 11.0.1 ? ChuckGo No. EBFs should only be applied against the MR that it is intended. The 1598 EBF is intended for 11.0.0. And EBF for 11.0.1 is pending. - chris Charles.Gogolin@stanleyassociates.com wrote: > X86 > > Update of 11.0.0 to 11.0.1 was released 03 Mar 2009 > > Update of 11.0.0 to build 1598 was released 23 Apr 2009 > > Should 11.0.0 to build 1598 be applied to 11.0.1 ? ...

Maintenance Release, Upgrade of 11.0.0 to 11.0.1
After installing upgrade 11.0.0 to 11.0.1 am unable to use DBSVC: /sqlanywhere11/bin32/dbsvc_scripts/dbsvc_iface: line 16: /lib/lsb/init-functions: No such file or directory This utility requires /etc/init.d/functions or /etc/rc.status If I undo the install then the dbsvc works fine. Installed redhat-lsb and seems to work. ...

11.0.3.3 to 11.5.1 (NT4.0)
I'm trying an upgrade in place on a test server and all is fine until the upgrade process tries to start the SQL server. It passed the eligibility test, then reported that there is one conflict with 11.5 reserved words. I figured I could find that and tend to it afterwards. I clicked OK and got a window saying it is proceeding with the upgrade at which point it fails and says "Failed to boot server ..." I tried to start it manually in Sybase Central and it fails with "Procedure entry point uniutf8_unistrNFromUTF8 could not be loaded in the DLL libunic.dll." ...

upgrade 11.0.2 to 11.0.3
upgrade fails with message in sybinit log : Database model must be altered to have at least 1 more MB. Database sybsystemprocs must be altered to have at least 1 more MB. although model was left as it is after install, and sybsystemprocs is 50MB (min. 21MB according to manual). Is there someone, who has similar experiences and can help? Thanks in advance Reinhold Reinhold Mrazek <reinhold.mrazek@adidas.de> wrote: >upgrade fails with message in sybinit log : > Database model must be altered to have at least 1 more MB. > Datab...

Upgrading from 11.0.2 to 11.0.3
Hi sybase I need to upgrade a server from the 11.0.2 to the 11.0.3 but I can find no documentation describing this procedure. I would be most grateful if you could send me detailed instructions and the script for performing this upgrade. Thanks Idan from NEXUS telecommunications inc. Astar wrote: > I need to upgrade a server from the 11.0.2 to the 11.0.3 but I can find > no documentation describing this procedure. > > I would be most grateful if you could send me detailed instructions and > the script for performing this upgrade. Its pretty tr...

Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2.1
Hello ASE guru, We just did a ASE upgrade to 11.9.2.1 from 11.0.3.3 and noticed that the sybsystemprocs database was extended by 2 MB on master device. (before upgrade size was 120 MB and after upgrade the size is 122MB) Is this a normal behavior of upgrade? any harm in leaving 2 MB on master device? Will upgrade fail if there is no room for this 2 MB on master device? Thanks for your help. kp wrote: > We just did a ASE upgrade to 11.9.2.1 from 11.0.3.3 and noticed that the You'd want to get the latest EBF and get it up to 11.9.2.3. > sybsystemprocs da...

kaffeine 1.0, amarok 2.3.1 and ktorrent 4.0.0 for openSUSE 11.3?
Does anyone knows if kaffeine 1.0, amarok 2.3.1 and ktorrent 4.0.0 will make it in time for openSUSE 11.3's release? -- derhundchen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ 11.3 toolchain is already frozen, so no, they will not. -- "Лучше молчать и прослыть дураком, чем открыть рот и развеять все сомнения." Марк Твен. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Minton's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=15228 View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.p...

RFI
Hi, Is it worth going to 11.5.1 considering 11.9.2 is out? I'm looking for information about upgrading 11.0.3 to 11.5.1 or 11.9.2 on HP-UX. Looking for advice, tips & tricks, pitfalls, etc I'm also interested in other peoples exeriances with 11.5.1 and 11.9.2 with regaurds to performance, stability, bugs & problems. thanks in advance Andrew. -- The views expressed are those of the author, not necessarily of Innovus Limited. Andrew, When I took the "Powering-up for ASE 11.5" class from Syba...

11.0.3.2 vs 11.0.3.3
Dear All, I understand that SQL server 11.0.3.2 is Y2K compliance. However, I have been suggested to upgrade to 11.0.3.3 for much safety (in Y2K). Is it true? What is the main difference between these 2 versions? Best Regards, Colin Colin wrote: > > Dear All, > > I understand that SQL server 11.0.3.2 is Y2K compliance. However, I > have been suggested to upgrade to 11.0.3.3 for much safety (in Y2K). Is > it true? What is the main difference between these 2 versions? > Just a number of bugfixes. I don't believe any of them are Y2K rel...

is it safe to upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1(when 11.1 come oute)
hi all. i want to know if it safe to upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1 when 11.1 will come out -- Haber_Nir ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Yes. Of course, how would it not be safe. How were you planning to do the upgrade? -- Box: Linux 2.6.25.18-0.2 x86_64 | OS 11.0 | (KDE4.1.81) "1.1" | M2N4-SLI | AMD 64 X2 5200+ | nVidia 8500GT | 2GB RAM Lap: OS 11.0 | Celeron 550 | (KDE 4.1.81 "release 1.1" | Intel 965 GM | Lenovo R61e | 1GB RAM ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ca...

can't login after upgrade 3.0.11 -> 3.1.0
i can't login (admin,host,...) after upgrade from 3.0.11 to 3.1.0. when i use password reminder, i get Username: xyzPassword: Authorized: Truethanks. Did you follow the upgrade instructions and make sure to copy over the machinekeys in the web.config?ChrisHammond.comEngage Software i replaced old web.config by new web.config from archive. and only changed my connection string to sql server. is it ok? Hopefully, you backed up your old web.config file.  If so go retrieve the following lines and check them against the new web.config file.  (your values may be differe...

Upgrade from 11.0.3 to 11.5.1
After I upgrade the SQL central in workstation running with Chinese Win95, I found following error messages: * Unable to load language DLL 'scsslgzt'. * Could not even load the default language DLL. I search the installation disk but cannot find the DLL file mentioned above. Another problem is I dump the database from Server 11.0 and then restore it to Server 11.5 with the same devices and segments setttings. Message from SQL Server shows everything fine, but the database cannot be open since its status is always offline. Anyone can give me a hint on it. thanks in ad...

Firefox 3.0.11 beta 1
Name: Marco Freudenberger Email: MarcodotFreudenbergeratgmxdotde Product: Firefox Summary: Firefox 3.0.11 beta 1 - specific website doesn't work in 3.0.11 beta Comments: http://www.klm.com/travel/de_en/index_default.html appears for ~1/2 second and then only blanks, hourclass cursor. Works fine in 3.0.10 stable. OS: Windows XP SP 2. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009051909 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wis...

11.0.3 to 11.5.1 upgrade woes
I've tried unsucessfully a couple of times to upgrade a server from 11.0.3 to 11.5.1. The upgrade fails on the pre-upgrade eligibility test. The first time was my fault as I did not have the sybystemprocs database configured for enough space but the last time it failed and there was no error in the log file that gets created!! This server was only a test one so I dread the idea of trying to do trial and error upgrades on production servers. Is there an easier way to move to the new version? Can I install 11.5.1 as a fresh Sybase installation and then load the database dum...

Web resources about - Upgrading 11.0.1 to 11.0.3 - sybase.sqlserver.unix

Mac Spoofed: Upgrading [Low Quality]
PC teaches Mac about the benefits of upgradability.

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Looks like Labor's upgrading from Tarago to minibus
The people of Stafford have done the rest of Queensland a favour by electing Dr Anthony Lynham.

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube