System 11 dumps hang with multiple Sybase engines

We've noticed at a number of our sites that database dumps are hanging
intermittently at the end of phase 1 (just prior to the "phase 1 completed"
message). So far the problem seems limited to SMP Pentium-based Data
General Aviion 3600's; we're running DGUX R4.11MU03 and System 11.0.2.2
(EBF 6887) for Unixware. We haven't noticed it on our AIX or NT sites.
We generally dump each database every night, and seem to be finding a hung
dump (to disk or tape) anywhere from a couple of times a week to once every
couple of weeks. The dump spid just sleeps forever, but SYB_BACKUP...sp_who
confirms that the backup server is still alive. Once one dump has hung, all
subsequent dumps hang until we reboot the data server (not just the backup
server).
This seems to happen only when running with more than one Sybase engine
configured, and in fact at two sites dropping to one engine seems to have
eliminated the dump problem (it's difficult to be sure because we can't
reliably reproduce the problem, just have to wait for it to occur
spontaneously).
Has anyone else seen a similar problem with hanging dumps on multi-engine
servers, either on Aviion or other platforms? Any suggestions either for
workarounds or reproducing the problem? TIA.

0
Dick
9/3/1997 3:51:12 PM
sybase.sqlserver.unix 1493 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Dick Brooks wrote:

> We've noticed at a number of our sites that database dumps are hanging
> intermittently at the end of phase 1 (just prior to the "phase 1 completed"
> message). So far the problem seems limited to SMP Pentium-based Data
> General Aviion 3600's; we're running DGUX R4.11MU03 and System 11.0.2.2
> (EBF 6887) for Unixware. We haven't noticed it on our AIX or NT sites.
> We generally dump each database every night, and seem to be finding a hung
> dump (to disk or tape) anywhere from a couple of times a week to once every
> couple of weeks. The dump spid just sleeps forever, but SYB_BACKUP...sp_who
> confirms that the backup server is still alive. Once one dump has hung, all
> subsequent dumps hang until we reboot the data server (not just the backup
> server).
> This seems to happen only when running with more than one Sybase engine
> configured, and in fact at two sites dropping to one engine seems to have
> eliminated the dump problem (it's difficult to be sure because we can't
> reliably reproduce the problem, just have to wait for it to occur
> spontaneously).
> Has anyone else seen a similar problem with hanging dumps on multi-engine
> servers, either on Aviion or other platforms? Any suggestions either for
> workarounds or reproducing the problem? TIA.

Dick,

Have you had any success in correcting this?  We have been experiencing
a similar type problem on one of our servers which is hosted on an AIX
box.  Unfortunately, we are already using only a single engine, so the
solution you mentioned in the post won't work for us.

If you have any more information on this, I'd be very interested in
hearing it.

Thanks,
Warren

Micron Technology, Inc.

0
Warren

Upgrade System 10 -----> System 11 on UNIX
I need to upgrade from 10 to 11 on UNIX. Is there a standard procedure or any help would be apppreciated. Any idea How long it takes. Thanks Nasir nmajeed@prosx.com ...

Did an upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3. System boots but hangs at the desktop.
Hi, I upgraded OpenSUSE 11.2 to 11.3 today using Zyyper on my laptop. Everything went fine with no errors whatsoever. At the end, a message was displayed at the terminal asking me if I want to see the notifications. I pressed "Y" and the system hanged there and then. I had to do a hard reboot. After reboot the system booted fine but hanged at the desktop with no response from the keyboard, mouse, touchpad, etc. The situation's same after many reboots. System boots fine but hangs at the desktop. Screen resolution changed to 800x600. Only power button works! I use...

System Hangs
Hi, I have installed 11.3 Gnome in my PC (intel core 2duo, 3 GB Ram, Intel integrated graphics G33/31, 250 GB SATA 2). It worked fine for couple of days. than suddenly it won't boot. When I select 11.3 from GRUB, splash screen is displayed, it seems to load and gets stuck with blank screen..It just freezes.. What should I do now? I linux newbie so please bear with me....:( -- srpandey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Have there been any updates installed to your OS? Are there any changes you have made in those couple of day...

4.11 upgrade
after I type install the language selection comes up, I select english in goes to a blank screen and the cursor flashes and nothing else happens You are working with a Win9x boot partition -- you need DOS 6x for the boot partition, and no memory management from DOS. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop ...

How do you rename an installed System 11 on unix ?
How do you rename an installed System 11 on unix ? I have a Sybase system 11 on AIX that has been installed under an original name, call it "ORIGINAL". I need to change the name to "NEW". Does anyone know how to rename a Sybase server under unix ? Paul Lindley wrote: > > How do you rename an installed System 11 on unix ? > > I have a Sybase system 11 on AIX that has been installed under an original > name, call it "ORIGINAL". I need to change the name to "NEW". > > Does anyone know how to rename a Sybase se...

System 10 to System 11
Hi everyone. I use Sybase System 10 with HP UX 9.4. We are going to change our server to another machine and migrate our Sybase from 10 to 11. We need to format the disk. Can I install the system 11 in the new machine and load all the database users and master database? Do I need to compile all the stored procedures? Thanks, adrimo@uol.com.br Adriana wrote: > > Hi everyone. > I use Sybase System 10 with HP UX 9.4. We are going to change our server to > another machine and migrate our Sybase from 10 to 11. We need to format the > disk. Can I install the...

openSUSE 11.1 sporadic system hang
Hello, I installed openSUSE 11.1 on my HP Proliant ML310 G1 several days ago. It runs DHCP, DNS, SAMBA, NFS, NTP and SSH in run level 3. # uname -a Linux test 2.6.27.7-9-pae #1 SMP 2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Unfortunately the system seems to hang once a day. It replies to ping and nmap shows open ports, but the above deamons don't answer to these ports. I cannot tell, what the system did last, as the display is black and /var/log/messages and warn do not show any relevant errors. Only the magic sysreq to reboot or pushing the power button will cause the...

System hangs after update in openSuse 11.3
I installed openSUSE 11.3 today, and I after installing a couple of softwares from Yast, I opened it again and applied the patches/updates it had listed, which included a Kernel one too. After the update and restart, it hangs at the progress bar screen just before it is about to finish, after flashing a black screen. Here is the xorg log I got by going to terminal before it happens, and logging in. Last few lines: Code: -------------------- [ 23.969] (II) config/udev: Adding input device ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0) [ 23.969] (EE) No input ...

upgrade to 11.4 fails to boot, system hangs......
Hello all, I attempted to upgrade my 11.3 box to 11.4 using the downloaded DVD. It gave a warning prior to initiating the upgrade that said my disk driver may need to be replaced prior to the upgrade as there was no consistency between versions, something to that effect. I took a leap of faith and initiated the upgrade which seemed to go well except when it rebooted, my system hung. I believe it requires a different disk driver and that the warning message gave the the clue. However I am not fluent in the configuration files involved or where they are located and which line m...

System hangs at login for 11.2 on Dell 2400
I installed openSUSE on my Dell 8300 with no problems at all, but on my Dell 2400, it installed OK, then failed after 1st reboot after installation when it asked me to log in. I see the graphic green screen with the images on it, but my system hung at that point. I thought something may be wrong with the installation, and went through the installation process a second time, with the same issue. Changing the screen back to 800x600, and safe boot also had no effects. Looks like I'm going to have to reload Ubuntu, although I prefer OpenSUSE. -- RMKERN -------------------...

Update on 11.1 system broke multiple programs
I have 11.1 on a computer. I updated it yesterday. Now K3B, VLC, and XDVDShrink are all broken. Possibly other programs broken as well. VLC refuses to uninstall via Yast. These are high-priority programs for this computer. Multiple people use this computer for multimedia and there is not much to entertain ourselves with in our very cold climate. In other words, it is mandatory that K3B, VLC and XDVDShrink return to operational status. Should I just upgrade to 11.3, try to fix the broken 11.1? I prefer using KDE3, not KDE4, but I can sacrifice. -- dan8029 -------------------...

System Tap with multiple shades of the same kernel in OpenSUSE 11.4
Howdy, I'd like to use system tap to perform monitoring while I make a few changes to the operation of the kernel scheduler as part of my Masters research. I'm having difficulty establishing a set of files to maintain in version control. I need system tap to operate with each build, which will be modifications of kernel 2.6.37. This system is a multi-boot and grub is located on a different partition and I would like to copy files between the two. Right now, I'm copying initrd and vmlinuz files and maintaining their revisions. I have a copy of /etc/src/linux-2.6.3...

11.4 /1: Hanging system by Installing Gnome desktop
By trying to install opensuse 11.4 / 1 the installation hungsup at a late level. After rebooting the system, the configuration goes on. When finishing the installation on that way, there are no menus so you can to simply nothing. The problem of system hanging exists also with version 11.3 final release but after rebooting the configuration goes on and when finished, you have the menus. -- Fabelwesen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You need to post to the Pre-release forum where these topics are discussed. Hopefully a kindly mode...

11.4 KDE 4.6 Hang on System shutdown
Hello everyone. I am new to opensuse, coming over from debian based systems. However I am having an issue in which my system will not power off on shutdown. Restarts just fine. i get a missing error during shutdown, but there is nothing to relate the error to on that line. Then the shutdown procedes to The System will be halted immidiately then hangs. The keyboard powers off and then thats it. All fans are still running. I have searched extensvely on this forum and google. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. -- monte84 -----------------------------------------------...

OpenSuSE 11.4: VLAN vs e1000e
The module e1000e is loaded into system. At addition VLAN the system hangs at a stop VLAN or configure other devices (sound, video). What's the problem? In OpenSuSe 11.3 it worked correctly. MB: ASUS P5Q-ME DO / NetCard: Intel 82567LM-3 -- B_I ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hello, I can confirm this issue - even worse, Yast hangs when trying to access the "Network Settings". Same for VirtualBox when bridged to the Vlan interface on the e1000. The only way to get back to a working system is to remove the /et...

Web resources about - System 11 dumps hang with multiple Sybase engines - sybase.sqlserver.unix

Multiple sequence alignment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A multiple sequence alignment (MSA) is a sequence alignment of three or more biological sequences , generally protein , DNA , or RNA . In many ...

Man stabbed multiple times in street fight
A 23-year-old man suffers multiple stab wounds in a wild street brawl involving up to 100 people.

Man charged with murder of 21yo found on road in Tewantin with multiple stab wounds
Police charge a man with the murder of a 21-year-old man found lying on a road with multiple stab wounds to his chest.

Multiple shots fired at Atlanta mall - abc13.com
Multiple shots were fired Saturday evening in a suburban Atlanta mall, prompting a frantic rush by shoppers to evacuate.

Rockies trade rumors: Carlos Gonzalez could fit on multiple teams
The oft-injured slugger has two years left on his deal. There are three types of teams in the NL West. Subdividing five teams into three categories ...

Gov. Jerry Brown pardoned Robert Downey Jr. for his multiple crimes in the ’90s
I’m old enough to remember when Robert Downey Jr. was an utter mess. Back in the ‘90s, I lost count of how many times he was arrested, how many ...

Gas tank explodes at plant in Nigeria; multiple fatalities reported
CNN Gas tank explodes at plant in Nigeria; multiple fatalities reported CNN Kano, Nigeria (CNN) An industrial gas tank exploded in southern ...

Draymond explains how multiple Warriors lead in their own way
... Search 42° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Draymond explains how multiple ...

Big Pharma bro arrested by federal agents in overnight raid, faces multiple investigations
Big Pharma bro Martin Shkreli gained international notoriety when his company bought the rights to Daraprim—a drug used to treat parasitic infections, ...

Showtime Previewing ‘Shameless’ & ‘Billions’ Premieres On Multiple Platforms
Demonstrating the increasing importance of the network’s original programming in bringing in new customers, Showtime will be providing subscribers ...