solaris2.6 not reporting correct partition space, how much can I grab for tempdb?

When creating tempdb device file on Solaris2.6, I noticed that sybase
would coredump with a no space left on the tempdb device error.
Although Solaris reported that the partition on which the device file
lived was not full, this was clearly not the case.  I guess Solaris has
some overhead it uses which is not reported using df.  Can anyone
confirm or refute this?

If my hunch is correct, does anyone know what the above mentioned
overhead is?

It would also be nice if Sybase refused to create devices in directories
which were smaller than the device file.

Thanks much for any insight,

Eric T Smith       Database Administrator
Stanford University, Highwire Press
esmith@highwire.stanford.edu    (650) 725-1372

0
Eric
11/1/2000 7:54:25 PM
sybase.sqlserver.unix 1493 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Eric,
    what does your `db -f` say ? I suppose you have tempdb on the file
system. Than it really allocates space as the tempdb is growing.
Regards,
Peter

Eric Smith wrote:

> When creating tempdb device file on Solaris2.6, I noticed that sybase
> would coredump with a no space left on the tempdb device error.
> Although Solaris reported that the partition on which the device file
> lived was not full, this was clearly not the case.  I guess Solaris has
> some overhead it uses which is not reported using df.  Can anyone
> confirm or refute this?
>
> If my hunch is correct, does anyone know what the above mentioned
> overhead is?
>
> It would also be nice if Sybase refused to create devices in directories
> which were smaller than the device file.
>
> Thanks much for any insight,

> --
> Eric T Smith       Database Administrator
> Stanford University, Highwire Press
> esmith@highwire.stanford.edu    (650) 725-1372

0
Peter
11/1/2000 10:07:50 PM
Eric Smith wrote:

> Ah that explains the errors not showing up immediately.  You're correct, the
> tempdb devices is a file which lives on the filesystem.  Before I moved one of
> the devices, when I looked in the directory I would see 2 tempdb device files,
> both 2047 meg.  They live on a 4096 meg partition.  Doing the math, I would
> think that this would be fine....however it seems that, in fact there is not
> enough space.  For planning reasons, it would be kinda handy to know the
> "actual" size of the partition, ie whats left after Solaris takes XXX.
>
> Unfortunately I've already mirrored off, one the devices to a different
> partition to free up some space, so currently a df -b shows I've only utilized
> 14% of available space, indicating ,as you said, that sybase is allocating
> space as needed.
>
> Just for fun, I created an empty 4 gig solaris partition.  It contains an 8 k
> lost+found directory.  So in theory I should have
> 4*1024*1024 = 4194304 K - 8 K for lost+found gives us 4194296 K to work with.
>
> A df -b on this directory show we have 4124413 K of actual space.  A 69891 K
> difference....69 meg...holy Sh*t.
>
> It seems that df -b is the only accurate way to determine what one has to work

	A df -k is just as good. But are you taking the minfree value into account.
	'man tunefs' for more details.

-am
0
Anthony
11/1/2000 11:42:11 PM
Peter:

[...]

with.

Thanks for responding,

Eric

Peter Simandl wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>     what does your `db -f` say ? I suppose you have tempdb on the file
> system. Than it really allocates space as the tempdb is growing.
> Regards,
> Peter
>
> Eric Smith wrote:
>
> > When creating tempdb device file on Solaris2.6, I noticed that sybase
> > would coredump with a no space left on the tempdb device error.
> > Although Solaris reported that the partition on which the device file
> > lived was not full, this was clearly not the case.  I guess Solaris has
> > some overhead it uses which is not reported using df.  Can anyone
> > confirm or refute this?
> >
> > If my hunch is correct, does anyone know what the above mentioned
> > overhead is?
> >
> > It would also be nice if Sybase refused to create devices in directories
> > which were smaller than the device file.
> >
> > Thanks much for any insight,

> > --
> > Eric T Smith       Database Administrator
> > Stanford University, Highwire Press
> > esmith@highwire.stanford.edu    (650) 725-1372

--
Eric T Smith       Database Administrator
Stanford University, Highwire Press
esmith@highwire.stanford.edu    (650) 725-1372

0
Eric

can't get report from nds report since upgrade to 6.5
anyone else had this problem? You mean Wofgang's program ?, and is this GW 6.5 or NW6.5, a lot of Groupwise information is simply not mirrored into NDS Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ You can register now for the EMEA GroupWise Summit - June 28/29 The Hague, Netherlands http://www.groupwiser.net/Summit yes wofgang program I used to be able to run reports with gw id visibility post office etc... gw.6.5 > You mean Wofgang's program ?, and is this GW 6.5 or NW6.5, a lot of > Groupwise ...

Can't allocate space for object '' in database 'tempdb',How can I do?
when I run system procedure,I got following messages : Can't allocate space for object '' in database 'tempdb' because the 'system'segment is full. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase the size of thesegment. Failed to allocate disk space for a work table in database 'mydb'. You may be able to free up space by using the DUMP TRANsaction command, or you may want to extend the size of the database by using the ALTER DATABASE command. thanks. allan wrot...

How can I do when tempdb is full of space?
Hi, Is there no way except shutdown with nowait when tempdb is full? tempdb is full of space when some users often send a wrong query to server by mistake. Whenever tempdb is full, I have to shutdown the server with nowait. and after shutdown the server, the value of identity column is always jump up when new row is inserted. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. Have you tried the "abort tran on log full" database option on tempdb? Also ASE 12.5.0.1 has a feature under the Resource Governor to limit the amount of tempdb space a user may use, it sounds like it w...

total Disk Space reported is not corrected
Hi, We have seven NetWare 6 servers all with SP4 and eDir 8.71. I just realized that the Total Disk spce reported for all the volumes is inconisted with the actual size. An NSs volume that was originally created with a capacity of 30Gb is now reported as 90 Gb. I checked the details in NWadmin32, ConsoleOne and Remote Manager/. All three show larger that the actual, but the figures are different for all the utiliters. Can someone please help me figure out what the problem is? thanks yensl Hi, yvega@defenders.org wrote: > > Hi, > We have seven NetWare 6 servers a...

how much time does it take to create a report and how much time does it take to export the report into Excel?
Hi,         I want to know how much time generally it takes for a developer to create a report ,in the bottom of the report there should be a button saying export to excel ,when that button is clicked it should exported to excel ,for this also how much time does it take for a developer to develop this module??? Well for me its really depends on the Expertise of the Developers who will create that report.. Second is based on the Report the developer are going to used.. If the developer is not that Familiar with the Report Tool then im sure that it will ta...

How can I cahnge the report header before i load the report into the report viewer?
That is basically it... Thanx in advance What are you trying to change? The report title, the items in the header, etc... Basically, in CR.NET you can't add new objects to the report during runtime. However, you can modify existing objects by setting a reference to them and then changing the properties. I have ample source code in my free ebook that teaches you how to modify the different properties of each report object. www.CrystalReportsBook.com?cpgn=asp.net HTH, Brian Bischof Brian Bischof www.CrystalReportsBook.com ...

Crystal Report Can Grow Growing too much
Hello,I'm experiencing something really weird. When i set the "Can Grow" option on my report, all my text is now displaying, but the field is sized much larger than what the text is using. So i end up having a report with rows seperated almost 1 to 2 inch from each other.Has anyone expierences this before, or can explain this behavior to me?Thanks It's been a long time since I've last seen this, but if I remember correctly this is a bug in the bundled version.  What's happening is CR has a maximum length of a text field, but it treats all text fields as if they were the maximum length...

PB8 memory grab with SQLServer 6.5
Hi, I am using PB8.01 build 9066 on a Windows 2000 Pro SP2 machine. I have a PB application that runs on SQLServer 6.5, which is also running on the same machine. When PB connects to the SQLServer database, the Windows VM size of PB80.exe suddently goes from about 30MB to 600 to 700MB. When I disconnect it goes back to about 30MB. This does NOT happen when I connect to Oracle 8, or to ASA. Has anyone else experienced this. Is there some setting in the Database Profile that could be causing this? Thanks, Mike Not really the right newsgroup for this, but try setting a dbparm ...

Can you upgrade from Tobit David 6.6 to GroupWise 6.5?
Hello! I'm wondering If i can upgrade from Tobit David 6.6 to GroupWise 6.5? I'm not talking about the GroupWise connector for David. What I want is to completely migrate my email system from David to GroupWise including all emails, contacts and appointments THX in advance. Jan, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell...

UNIX file system free space, used space, total space
Anyone have an idea about getting UNIX file system free space, used space, total space numbers without having to resort to something like the following ( which gets the percent of used space for a command-line supplied file system name stored in the variable ${file_sys} ): $per_used = `df -k | grep " ${file_sys}\$" | awk '{print \$5}'`; > Anthony (Tony) Esposito > Senior Technical Consultant > Inovis(tm), formerly Harbinger and Extricity > 2425 N. Central Expressway, Suite 900 > Richardson, TX 75080 > (972) 643-3115 > tony.esposito@ino...

Can Partition Problem Be FIxed With SR-6.0??
Will SPin Rite fix this problem? I have 4 drives on my system. 3 IDE & 1 SCSI fixed, 1 ZIP SCSI & 1 Jaz SCSI. The first drive boots OK but Partition Magic(PM8.0) shows the entire drive as BAD. Drive 2 shows OK on PM8.0 but drive 3 shows the entire drive as BAD too. The SCSI hdd drive # 4 is OK but removables don't show up at all. When PM8.0 starts I get error#113 Partiotion overlaps, but does display if you answer NO to the fix message. Using Windows XP Pro Admin Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management, shows partitions OK wiothout errors! Is there really...

How much memory can NetWare 6.5 access?
My apologies if posted twice. I do not think my previous psot took. NetWare 6.0 could only recognize 4 gb of ram. Is that still true with 6.5? Chris In novell.support.netware.6x.install-upgrade Chris.Murzda@nospam.com wrote: > My apologies if posted twice. I do not think my previous psot took. > NetWare 6.0 could only recognize 4 gb of ram. Is that still true with 6.5? There is 'recognize' and 'good idea'. IIRC, NW65 can recognize memory over 4GB, but thanks to 32-bit architecture accessing it is a rather expensive operation. Again, IIRC, memory abo...

NW 6.5 SP8/How much space needed?
I have a NW 6.5 SP7 environment and wanted to do a SP8. Service packing from another server, and not backing up the current SP when I go to SP my servers, how much actuall hard drive space will SP8 take up on my SYS volume? Thanks/ Pete -- Roadisred ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Depends 1) Are you copying the SP to SYS to install it or another volume? 2) Are you backing up the files replaced using the SP script option to backup drivers etc? If yes to both I generally allow a minimum of 2GB free on SYS and 500MB on C: b...

How can see PSR Report in Netscape 6 (if is possible)
I'm use the DataWindow ActiveX for IE 6 . TNX Thanks if you refers to Online Book, I''ll try to find it, anyway my application alreay uses several kind of Report output for IE: HTML (WebDW) PDF PSR (DW ActiveX) XLS (HTML Table) DOC (HTML Table) GIF (graph only) but I dont know how (and if) the PSR Report can be showed on Netscape 6 I would recommend to have a look at EAServer and the WebDW On Tue, 25 Jun 2002 09:18:48 +0200, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Mirko Di Tommaso <mirko.ditommaso@ilmessaggero.it> wrote: >I'm use the...

Web resources about - solaris2.6 not reporting correct partition space, how much can I grab for tempdb? - sybase.sqlserver.unix

Reporting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanksgiving takes off in Australia, with turkey farmers reporting surge in sales
... of Halloween in recent years, get ready to complain some more. Thanksgiving seems to have taken off in Australia, with turkey farmers reporting ...

Bill Hemmer Discusses Ground Reporting in Paris, the French’s Willingness to Strike Back
Fox News Channel’s Bill Hemmer reported live from Paris, with around the clock reports on a variety of shows including Fox & Friends, The Five ...

Evercore Boosts Google Target To $915 Ahead Of New Segment Reporting
With Google parent Alphabet ( GOOGL ) set to begin its new segment reporting with its next quarter, Evercore ISI’s Ken Sena and his team take ...

TMZ is reporting that Charlie Sheen once had HIV — but now it's basically gone
TMZ has reported that Charlie Sheen once had HIV, but that it is no longer detectable. The site's sources said that the actor contracted the ...

Commerce City Officer Arrested In Shooting, False Reporting Case
Police in Commerce City have arrested a police officer for false reporting in connection with a shooting the occurred on Sunday.

'Where is the foreign journalist?': Reporting from the front lines of Syria's ...
CNN International 'Where is the foreign journalist?': Reporting from the front lines of Syria's ... CNN International Editor's note: Kurt ...

Subprime Credit Reporting Company To Pay $8M For Illegally Obtaining Consumers’ Credit Info
Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, companies – and lenders – are allowed to access credit reports only for “permissible purposes,” like determining ...

Reporting from Foxboro: Respecting Osweiler’s arm
... RSN login or register Login Search form Search 56° Main menu Home Celtics Patriots Red Sox Bruins Revolution More WRITERS Watch Shop NECN Reporting ...

New York's anti-terror reporting app could easily cause problems
New York state is understandably more anxious than ever about terrorist threats, and it's hoping that some mobile technology will bolster its ...