Failed UNIX process doesn't kill Sybase process

We are running 11.0.2 on Solaris 2.5.1 on a Sparc 3000. We have a load
routine which inserts one day's worth of data into the database.

For some unknown reason, the process failed recently, wrote the error to
the UNIX log file for that process then treminated itself. However, the
Sybase process it spawned did not die. Is there any way of configuring
either UNIX or Sybase so that if the UNIX process dies, the
corresponding Sybase process will also die, regardless of why the
originating process has terminated?

Mike MacGregor
Consultant (client Bank of Montreal)
0
Mike
10/2/1997 2:53:19 PM
sybase.sqlserver.unix 1493 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Configure KEEPALIVE on the box. to find out more do a search of keepalive
on e.g. techinfo.sybase.com or sybooks.sybase.com

/Stefan
   Stefan Karlsson		SYBASE Sweden

   SYBASE Sverige AB		+46-8-58711000phone
   Box 1248 (Postal)		+46-8-58711054direct
   Borgarfjordsgatan 16 (visits)	+46-70-5256281mobile/voicemail
   164 28 KISTA			+46-8-7505420fax
   SWEDEN			stefank@sybase.com
          "Trust me, I know what I'm doing..."

Mike MacGregor <mactyger@compuserve.com> wrote in article
<3433B55F.35D6@compuserve.com>...
> We are running 11.0.2 on Solaris 2.5.1 on a Sparc 3000. We have a load
> routine which inserts one day's worth of data into the database.
>
> For some unknown reason, the process failed recently, wrote the error to
> the UNIX log file for that process then treminated itself. However, the
> Sybase process it spawned did not die. Is there any way of configuring
> either UNIX or Sybase so that if the UNIX process dies, the
> corresponding Sybase process will also die, regardless of why the
> originating process has terminated?
>
> Mike MacGregor
> Consultant (client Bank of Montreal)

0
Stefan
10/2/1997 2:55:13 PM
Stefan Karlsson wrote:

> Mike MacGregor <mactyger@compuserve.com> wrote in article
> <3433B55F.35D6@compuserve.com>...
> > We are running 11.0.2 on Solaris 2.5.1 on a Sparc 3000. We have a load
> > routine which inserts one day's worth of data into the database.
> >
> > For some unknown reason, the process failed recently, wrote the error to
> > the UNIX log file for that process then treminated itself. However, the
> > Sybase process it spawned did not die. Is there any way of configuring
> > either UNIX or Sybase so that if the UNIX process dies, the
> > corresponding Sybase process will also die, regardless of why the
> > originating process has terminated?
> >
> > Mike MacGregor
> > Consultant (client Bank of Montreal)
> >

> Configure KEEPALIVE on the box. to find out more do a search of keepalive
> on e.g. techinfo.sybase.com or sybooks.sybase.com

Yes KEEPALIVE is usually the problem.  However, keep in mind that
the SQL Server spid could have been hanging around long enough to
roll back its transaction.  If your daily load process was holding
a particularly long transaction it could take a while for the roll-
back to complete.

-scott

--
Scott C. Gray                 gray@voicenet.com     "my keybard is
brken"

System.Diagnostics.Process
I have a web application that requires some back end processing when the user does a certain action. The web app uses a web service to fire off a data access module on the app server. In that module I have the code snippet below that is meant to fire off an executable in a separate thread.  In developement mode, where the web server & app server are the same machine, I've put the code in the aspx page, and it runs fine. When I put the code in the data access module, the executable doesn't do anything. In debug mode, I can see that the process is...

The working process (w3wp.exe) doesn't recomile the page or doesn't load the newer version into the AppDomain.
The page doesn't recompiled even if I change it's markup/code or some globalapplication files such as web.confg, global.asax etc. Recompilation occures onlyif I restart the IIS or simply kill the working process (w3wp.exe).  Did anybody encounter this problem? Thanks in advance.Victor AmelkinR&D, ASP.NET TeamDeveloper Express Inc.  Wat made you to think that its not recycling?Does memory consumption is not coming down, if this made you to believe that its not recycling, how much memory its consuming when you are changing the config or asax page?&...

Closing Firefox 3.0 RC doesn't kill the process, requires manual kill
Name: James Lamont-Abrams Email: agentcheeseatgmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Closing Firefox 3.0 RC doesn't kill the process, requires manual kill Comments: If I close Firefox, it doesn't always kill the process, so if I later try to open Firefox again it will bring up an error box with a message essentially saying Firefox is already running. Is this a bug or is this something I've not done/done wrong? Many thanks, James Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008051206 Firefox/3.0 From URL: http://hendrix.moz...

process doesn't kill upon exiting
Name: ft Product: Firefox Summary: process doesn't kill upon exiting Comments: My current OS is Windows 7, updated with the latest windows content: After exiting firefox, the process is continuously running in the background (saved tabs and all). I'm unsure if the newest version resolves the issue since I didn't read anything similar in the release notes; however, I figured I'd say something just in case. My apologies if this is already a known issue. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.10) Gecko/20100504 Firefox/3.5.10 ...

quitting mozilla browser doesn't kill instance/process
anyone have this problem, esp. after viewing pdfs? at least one instance of mozilla remains in task manager, meaning new process can't launch properly experiencing problem in latest build, but have had it back to 1.4. David Hochman wrote: > anyone have this problem, esp. after viewing pdfs? > > at least one instance of mozilla remains in task manager, meaning new > process can't launch properly > > experiencing problem in latest build, but have had it back to 1.4. > There was something about the adobe plugin not exiting properly... it&...

KILLING Processes in unix
------=_Part_51905_22748994.1161952665677 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: inline hi I need to kill java processes in Unix and windows both based on OS check. here is my code use Switch; my $UKILLSTR="ps -ef |grep java | grep -v grep|kill -9 `awk '{print $2}'` ";(this command work if i put in command prompt of the linux box ) my $UKILLSTR1=" my $WKILLSTR="taskkill /IM java.exe /F"; my $OS=$^O; switch ($OS) { case "MSWin32" { system("...

ASP.NET process identity doesn't have read permissions for GAC/Can't find path
I've had some strange problems with my computer lately... eventually got it working again after running chkdsk a few times.  Anyway, I just tried running an ASP.NET page on my PC, which I use as a test server, and I'm getting a "Server Application Unavailable" message.  When I check the event viewer, this is what I get:Event Type:    ErrorEvent Source:    ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0Event Category:    NoneEvent ID:    1089Date:        8/19/2008Time:       &nbs...

IDE.Debugger: 'Attach to Process' doesn't work on update 4
I have recently upgraded my C++ builder XE2 to update 4, and I noticed that 'Attach to Process' window has some problem. Actually it lists only many SYSTEM (pid 0). It seems it's a problem affecting Delphi XE2 upd4 too. Update 3 this window works fine. Everyone has updated it's own XE2 by using the 'automatic update' program. Am I alone that experienced this problem? I have forgotten to add, that I am experiencing this problem on WinXP and Win7_x86 both. > {quote:title=Stefano Bordoni wrote:}{quote} > I have forgotten to add, that I am ex...

Batch Kill Processes With Auto Kill Any Process
Auto Kill Any Process has been designed to batch kill running processes in Windows. Why would someone want to do that? There are actually a few reasons where this functionality might come in handy. Think about launching programs that benefit from every additional Megabyte of computer memory and cpu power. Some gamers for instance like to disable and kill as many processes before they start their gaming sessions. It might also come in handy to kill startup processes if they cannot be removed (for whatever reason). http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/05/batch-kill-processes-with-auto-kill...

Why doesn't this process die?
Hi, I am proud of myself for writing this recursive algorithm and getting it to work but after you run it the process doesn't die.   For example, you run it, then end debugging, and then try to change a file that it referenced, and it says the file is in use by another process (I assume that the process the compiler is referring to is from my algorithm). It might be as simple as just closing something but I can't figure out what. Can you help me please?private string[] GetCode() { ArrayList files = new ArrayList();return (string[])RecursiveSearch(files, root).ToArray(typeof...

In-process or out-of-process
What do "in-process" or "out-of-process" mean? Please kindly explain with detailed examples and code samples. Thanks much.Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer" In-process means the thing you are refering to lives inside the same process that your code is executing in. For example, in-proc Session state uses memory inside the worker process for asp.net. An in-proc COM object lives in the same process as your code. Out of process means the thing you are refering to does not exist inside the same process. Out of process session state lives in a seperate process, p...

Doesn't end process.
Name: Brett HedstromB Email: yobretTatsbcglobaldotnet Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: Doesn't end process. Comments: When I click on the "X" button in the upper right hand corner or otherwise close the last window, the process "firefox.exe *32" fails to end. This means that if I want to start it up again, I have to manually end the process by pulling up Task Manager and ending it in the Processes tab. This is an extreme hassle in Vista, and it has gotten to the point where I just keep Task Manager up all the time. Browser Details: Mozi...

Couldn't kill process
Hi, I had a process that made me a cartesian product, so I'd tried to kill it. But it didn't died. I killed Client Application and it still lived. And the only thing that I've done to kill it was a shutdown with no wait, which isn't the best way. Isn't there a way for making a forcing kill, like kill -9 ? Thanks -- Rui Ribeiro No, there is no "kill -9" equivalent in Sybase. But bear in mind if the process was an update or insert, that the process will have to roll back all the work done so far, and this can be a long time. Check the I/O usage...

Process can't access file because it is being used by another process
Hi I've to extract a zip file and delete that zip file. When i extract zip file, the file is extracted successfully, but when i try to delete the file, it throws the Exception "Process can't access file because it is being used by another process". Can some one solve my problem. Thanks in advance.ZIA UR REHMAN how are you extracting the file? if you're using a library, remember to close the zipfile before you try deleting it. yeah this was the problems... thanks alot for the help. i really appreciate. ThaksZIA UR REHMAN...

The process cannot access the file '.....' because it's being used by another process
In VB6.0 I was using API calls for checking that a process has finished and then continue with other steps:       var_process_number = Shell("wzunzip.exe -o " & """" & fld_ZIP_file_name & """" & " " & """" & fld_import_path & """", vbMinimizedNoFocus)       'wait until the uncompressing is over         var_process_handle = OpenProcess(&H100000, True, var_process_number)         WaitForSingleObject var_process_handle, -1         CloseHandle var_process_handle In ASP....

Web resources about - Failed UNIX process doesn't kill Sybase process - sybase.sqlserver.unix