Update stats vs. update all stats

Under 11.9.2 update all stats will build stats for all columns, even those
not used in an index, providing more information to the optimizer.  It
seems like we would always want to run update stats with the all option so
that the optimizer has more information to work with.   Is this valid ??  I
am wondering if I should change my update stats jobs to use the all option.
  Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jerry Horochowianka
0
Jerry
5/18/1999 6:55:42 PM
sybase.sqlserver.performance 1181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Jerry Horochowianka wrote:

> Under 11.9.2 update all stats will build stats for all columns, even those
> not used in an index, providing more information to the optimizer.  It
> seems like we would always want to run update stats with the all option so
> that the optimizer has more information to work with.   Is this valid ??  I
> am wondering if I should change my update stats jobs to use the all option.

	It would depend on the nature of your queries and the current
	selectivity of your indexes. The only way to really tell, though,
	is to try it. Get some performance metrics beforehand, and then
	make a comparison afterwards. Investigate the optdiag utility too.
	Chapter 8 of the ASE 11.9.2 What's New guide has the details.

-am
0
Anthony
5/19/1999 7:49:31 AM
In genreal the more statistical info you can provied to the optimizer the
better. It is poosible however that UPDATE ALL STATS might be overkill. If you
have cols that do not participate in SARGs or joins there really is no reason
to place stats on them. Also, keep in mind that if you use UPDATE ALL STATS you
will need to always use it or update stats on each col that is not the major
atribute of an index individually.

Eric Miner

Jerry Horochowianka wrote:

> Under 11.9.2 update all stats will build stats for all columns, even those
> not used in an index, providing more information to the optimizer.  It
> seems like we would always want to run update stats with the all option so
> that the optimizer has more information to work with.   Is this valid ??  I
> am wondering if I should change my update stats jobs to use the all option.
>   Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jerry Horochowianka

0
Eric

Updates, updates and more updates
Name: pirhan Email: pirhan_chanathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Updates, updates and more updates Comments: Hello, Normally I use Safari, but my iBook is out of commission for a while. So, I am forced to use a PC to which I would much rather use Firefox than Internet Exploder. However, as much I enjoy not using a Microsoft product, and use a product that works decently, I am severely annoyed about the constant updates I am put through. In the last two days, I had to wait for Firefox to install updates before I could browse and now, I'm alerted that there'...

updates, updates, updates
Holy Crap, Batman! You'd think I was running Windows XP and it's patch Tuesday. So far this week - new kernel (2.6.27.10), 2 new browsers (Opera 9.63 and Firefox 3.05) and a new plugin (Flash 10.0.156.3). I'm about ready to try one od the BSD's! vince wrote: > Holy Crap, Batman! You'd think I was running Windows XP and it's patch > Tuesday. > > So far this week - new kernel (2.6.27.10), 2 new browsers (Opera 9.63 > and Firefox 3.05) and a new plugin (Flash 10.0.156.3). I'm about ready > to try one od the BSD's! I take ...

updates, updates, updates, NO MORE!
Name: Andreas Email: unbekanntatjokerdotms Product: Firefox Summary: updates, updates, updates, NO MORE! Comments: Hi ! if you want to develop a fine webbrowser, maybe you nee a new management. To release a new buggy version every two weeks is not very professional. Test your software before the release and let the user download a stable browser. this update-orgy since 2.0.0 used me to use Opera instead of FF. We haved use FF in our Company, but we can't deploy a new version every week to +200 Windows-clients, so in our company we've decided to return to IE, ...

Updates Updates Updates
I was a big fan of Firefox.. Now, I don't even like to use it. Seems like every time I start it up I have to update some addin OR the browser itself. And unfortunately the update nag messages are always presented when I start a browsing session. I find this annoying because, typically, when I open a web browser all I want to do is go to a web page. Not update the browser. I can agree that staying current with the latest version could give the best, fastest, safest web experience. But that point becomes mute when I start off every other browsing session with a new update. And mos...

updates, updates, updates
Name: hans jensen Email: hansjensen44_athotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: updates, updates, updates Comments: why is it everytime i go online firefox has new updates, 3 -4 times every day, its never ending..........whats all the problems??? please email me and let me know, ty,.........Hans Jensen Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

Update Stats Performance
I have recently built a replacement v 12.0 ASE Server for a production system and have found that on one particular database the update stats run(indexes only) is now taking approx 22hr to run whereas it takes 3.5 hrs. on existing system. The config of the 2 Sybase Servers are v. similar except for EBF level, new server is on 10456 old server is on 9625. The database in question is 10Gb in size and has 3 v.large archive tables. The only difference in config is that memory on new server is substantially higher and also had to change setting ofr open objects & open indexe...

updates,updates, updates,etc.
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: updates,updates, updates,etc. Comments: I am so fed up with all these gd updates I COULD SCREAM! Why can't you get it right and stay with it for a while. Between you guys and MSFT you drive me nuts. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.1) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Updates Updates Updates #3
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Updates Updates Updates Comments: Seems like every time I open the program there is a wait period while some new arcane update gets installed. I have enjoyed and advocated firefox for a good while, but the update thing is really starting to bug me. Doubtless I could simply change the settings to accept the updates or not notify me or something similar - but I CAN'T BE ASSED. I'd have to consider this for more than 30 seconds and as we've already seen I CAN'T BE ASSED. Please make this less annoying in return for which I promis...

Updates updates updates #2
Name: Product: Firefox Summary: Updates updates updates Comments: I love Firefox, but it seems EVERY day there is some sort of updates to download before it will open. You need to figure out a way Firefox can open when asked to do so and update in the background and apply the updates on the next restart. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide on...

Update Update
Name: John Oswell Email: serviceatwinntecdotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Update Update - endless updates Comments: I think it's great you update the product but I'm starting to think this product is more prone to attack and instability by the number of updates i get inflicted with. Quite honestly on the Windows platform you're going to need to convince me that the Firefox browser is "better" than IE8 - my default browser (ff right now) I'm probably going to revert - endless intrusive updates for Firefox is getting very tiring. At least MS (I'm ...

Update not updating
Name: Willaim Brasuell Email: williamatbrasuelldotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Update not updating Comments: I get a message to update Firefox and start the process. After letting it run for an hour it just keeps saying it's downloading. Having tried four times I think there is a problem here. Regards, Bill Brasuell Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.4 ...

Why does update not update ?
Name: T. Strickland Email: shortsportatsbcglobaldotnet Product: Firefox Summary: Why does update not update ? Comments: I check to see if there are any updates but it says none are available but once in a while a update will just appear and say to update to 2.0.0.4 . could this be some kind of scam trying to gain access to my computer? If this is a good update then why doesn't the update do it automatically when I click on it ? Please Inform Tilmon Strickland Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.12) Gecko/20070508 Firefox/1.5.0...

Update update
Gang... Everything for the forthcoming SSL Certificate Fingerprinting system is finished and ready for pre-release deployment. But today the site has been -- and still is -- unusually busy. And I need to bring the server down briefly to update the master resident "ne.dll" which is where all this code lives. And doing that, boots everyone off, cancels all underway downloads, aborts ShieldsUP! runs, etc. So I want to wait a few hours until things have calmed down, and slowed, down a bit. -- ________________________________________________________________ Steve...

Updates and more updates and more...
Name: M Product: Firefox Summary: Updates and more updates and more... Comments: what's the point of this one exactly? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.11) Gecko/20101012 Firefox/3.6.11 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729) From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Web resources about - Update stats vs. update all stats - sybase.sqlserver.performance

Saturday Night Live Weekend Update Thursday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saturday Night Live Weekend Update Thursday is an American limited-run series broadcast on NBC . It is a political satire news show spin-off ...

Gizmodo.com Updates
Nobody should have to use a pay phone , natural disaster or no natural disaster. So if your gadgets are out of juice after Sandy, here’s a tiny ...

Lifehacker.com Updates
By Whitson Gordon Ever run into a situation where you have multiple wireless networks available, but one is clearly better than the other? WiFi ...

Facebook Messenger For Android Update Includes Conversation Shortcuts
Facebook released an update to its Android Messenger application that incorporates the group -creation and message forwarding features in last ...

Big Bash League 2015: BBL05 Perth Scorchers v Sydney Sixers live scores, videos, updates, highlights
THE Perth Scorchers shot to the top of the table as more than 100,000 fans flocked to two domestic Twenty20 fixtures, on a red letter day for ...

Live Updates: Heavy Security for America’s New Year’s Eve Celebrations
As Americans prepare for New Year's Eve ball drops around the country, law enforcement is in overdrive to keep revelers safe.

​Craig Strickland's wife gives update on search
The lead singer of country-rock band Backroad Anthem went missing this week while duck hunting in Oklahoma

2016– Getting Off To A Winning Start/ UPDATE: Obama To Take Action On Gun Safety
I spent yesterday back in the hospital, not because of the cancer exactly. My weakened immune system was unable to fight off a damned cold and ...

SportsNet Central Update: Bruins and Canadiens ready for Winter Classic
SportsNet Central Update: Bruins and Canadiens ready for Winter Classic

Update: The Shovel Knight amiibo was available for pre-order at Amazon
[ Update : All gone! We'll keep you appraised if Shovel Knight returns to Amazon or Best Buy .] Recently, I purchased a Silver Mario amiibo ...