Multiple NICS - Multiple Listeners

We are deploying  some new hardware for a relatively busy site.  In a
Sun e450 I have 4GB of RAM and 8 100mbit ethernet ports (two quad-port
cards).

It has been suggested that we can trunc several of the ports (at the OS
level) and run one listener on the primary network and one listener on
the back network (perhaps 6 ports primary and 2 backup).  That will give
me a realatively high bandwidth connection but only one network
listener.

The back network will be used for replication to a warm-standby and for
dumps, maintenance batches, etc.  I am not as worried about it's
performance other than to isolate that traffic from the web servers'
traffic.

My question is, are there spinlocks or other resources that would be
better used if there were multiple listeners or should we save the
memory and overhead and just run one 6-port interface.  There could be a
middle ground by truncing 2 groups of 3 or something like that.

Thanks,

Mark Gendein

0
Mark
8/22/2000 12:17:56 PM
sybase.sqlserver.performance 1181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Improving Performance of SqlServer
hello everyone, does anyone know some tipps or articles that descripe how the sqlserver 2000 can be improved? i have an application which displays newspapers. the text of the newspapers is saved in db. performance is ok but  i have performance-problems when i do a fulltext-search.   1) hardware: p4  xeon double core, 2.4 Ghz, 2 GB Ram 2) number of articles in database: ~ 255.000 Records (betwenn 10 - 400 words each) 3) the database is indexed (i am searching with "CONTAINS" and not with the "LIKE"-keyword) 4) in my query i am searching in 3 columns (title,leadt...

Slow performance on NIC
I have a new NW 6.5 SP7 and ZEN 7 server which is running virtualized under ESXi 3.5. I noticed that workstations are taking longer to image than they did on the physical server so I ran ifconfig from the console and I can see that the NIC is running to 10000000 (10MB, right?). VMware says the NIC is negotiating at 1GB. Ifconfig also says the vm is using driver CNEAMD. I'm not sure how to lock the board to 1GB, or even if that will help. Any ideas would be appreciated. -- jdwall ------------------------------------------------------------------------ The s...

Performance with 2 NIC cards
We have a Win2003 server that has 2-NIC cards (one internal lan & one for external access).  DNN3.0.13 Performance through the external card makes DNN unsible.  On the internal side, using either the server name or the Ip, is very responsive.  Externally, the home page & login page are snappy.  But once the login is started, it can take for ever going between pages.  It is almost as if the connection to DNN dies.  I can watch the network icons on both ends & see that nothing is happening at the server while the page load is pending for more than a mi...

difference between listen and listen up
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C51B2B.14201E00 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable When defining a tcpip pipe in teh configurator, you have several = choices. For an acq aim, what is the difference between listen and = listen up?=20 Type of TCP or Telnet -=20 a.. TCP Mode -=20 a..=20 a.. Connect - AIM will connect up to the Endpoint.=20 b.. Listen - AIM will listen on a port for the Endpoint to connect = up to it.=20 c.. Listen Up - AIM will listen on...

Folder Listener not listening
Help... I'm trying to write a Thunderbird Extension that saves outgoing messages, and messages placed in to specific sub-directories... I've got most of the code working, but the Folder Listener isn't working properly... I will trap the first message sent out when it's placed in the sent items, but not following messages. It is triggered for each message that I receive, but not when I use a sub folder... Any idea's what could be causing it? Thanks in advance MRJ ...

Perf Compare 1 NIC in-out to 1 NIC in and 1 NIC out
I have a client that currently has a BorderManager 3.8 SP5 server set up with only 1 NIC for proxy services. They are not using it for a firewall; just HTTP proxy. Currently the 1 NIC is set for both the public and private interface. I want to change it to the more traditional config of 1 NIC for the private interface that user browsers point to and a second NIC for the public interface going out to the Internet through a separate firewall. Intuitively it would seem that this would be a better performing setup. I just wondered if anyone had done any testing on this and could ...

How to control which NIC Jaguar/EAServer listens to?
I hope this isn't a dumb question, my computer has two NIC's. EAServer is listening on one of the NIC's (I see the IP address in the log) but I'd like it to listen on the 'other' NIC. Is this an EAServer configurable issue or do I need to re-configure my network software? Thanks! -Marc. Create other listeners to listen on other NIC. Just give the IP Address of the other NIC and you should be able to listen on other NIC Regards, Sandip why not setup the nics in a team and make proper use of them. a. Marc Zwillinger wrote: > I h...

performance impact of DOM mutation listeners
I recall reading somewhere that DOM mutation listeners have a surprisingly large impact on browser performance. Any one know about this issue? jjb On 11/3/10 4:31 PM, John J Barton wrote: > I recall reading somewhere that DOM mutation listeners have a > surprisingly large impact on browser performance. Any one know about > this issue? Mutation listeners cause slowdown in two ways: 1) Firing the event takes time O(tree depth at which mutation happened), with a constant that can easily be comparable to the cost of the mutation itself. 2) Creating the...

Monitoring SqlServer 2000 performance with Express
Hi, I'm using Visual Web Developer Express and Management Studio Express, and my web site is on a shared web host´, running SqlServer2000. I'm looking for software that enables me to monitor the server, but is it possible? The only apps I've found (and downloaded and installed and unistalled) so far need administrative rights to the server so they won't work on a shared web host.  All help would be welcome! Thanks in advance, PettrerCoding is a nine-to-five job: Nine PM to Five AM. Goto Administrative Tools...Performance. Right mouse click on the graph and select "Add Counters......

AIX: Performance problem with 2 Listeners
I have a server with two network interfaces (Token Ring and 100MB Ethernet). When I have one listener it works fine. If I add another one into interface file my testing app (which is network intensive) becomes 4 times slower then with one listener. Should I change any configuration parameters? The same configuration works fine with SQL server for Solaris. Thank you Dmitry Bogachev Dmitry, What does the $SYBASE/interfaces file look like? You would have the following: two lines with master in them. one line with a query line - you don't need two query lines on t...

Forcing GWIA to listen on only one NIC???
We have a Netware 6 server with 2 NICs. I want GWIA (6.0.4) to listen for incoming e-mail on only one of those NICs. How do I force it to stop listening on the other NIC? Thanks, - Doug Hi, DoubleD@test.com wrote: > > We have a Netware 6 server with 2 NICs. > I want GWIA (6.0.4) to listen for incoming e-mail > on only one of those NICs. How do I force it to stop > listening on the other NIC? No chance with GW6.0. GW7 allows that. CU, -- Massimo Rosen Novell Product Support Forum Sysop No emails please! http://www.cfc-it.de ...

NW6SP4 slow performance with N100 embedded NIC
We have Compaq ML370 G2 servers with the NIC embedded on the motherboard. It uses the N100 driver. Because of some indeterminate change to the servers (perhaps the SP4 install several months ago) we have noticed that file copying is extremely slow on some servers, even across a local 100MB full duplex switched connection. To troubleshoot, I put in a Compaq PCI NIC that uses the CPQNF3 driver. With this change, performance changes drastically. What takes several minutes with the N100 NIC occurs in seconds with the older CPQNF3 NIC. I don't want to have to put an old PCI NIC in 40 ser...

Performance monitor and performance counters
I'm trying to figure out why performance counters won't work on my machine. We've got 2 windows 2003 servers, and if I try to access ANY of the performance counter related objects in the System.Diagnostic namespace I get this: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program. at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.AllocHGlobal(IntPtr cb) at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceMonitor.GetData(String item) Of course the call stack is actually larger than that, but the point is right here. The same code works fine on any of our XP or 2000 Pro boxes. Anyone know wha...

Performance Monitor vs performance
Hello, does Sybase Central Performance Monitor affect performance? We've had a problem, the db server was reacting very slow denying almost all of the work of around 100 concurrent users, with throwing all of them out as more users came in. The only major change done was that the Sybase Performance monitor was left to be run overnight, with the following statistics: Packets Sent Packets Received Requests Threads Unscheduled Requests I understand that SC PM queries the server, but could this have a major impact on overall performance? Thanks, Pavel IMO the ...

Performance Tools
Dear All, I am having difficulty that after I complete a project and run the performance tool, by looking at the report, I do not know whether it's performing well, as there is no benchmark for me to refer to. Is there any guide that how to consider the performance is not up to the satisfactory level? Or is there any benchmark that how many bytes of allocated memory is considered unacceptable that we need to look into? Regards,Shelyn...

Web resources about - Multiple NICS - Multiple Listeners - sybase.sqlserver.performance

New Zealand Listener - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the 1980s it lost its monopoly on the publication of upcoming television and radio programmes. Despite the increase in competition since that ...

Ghost Listener on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Ghost Listener. Download Ghost Listener and enjoy it on your iPhone, ...

Todd Klindt's SharePoint Podcast 253 - Long Time Listener First Time Caller - YouTube
In tonight's podcast I talk a lot about Windows 10. How to install it, where to install it, ways it won't let me install it, the whole gamut. ...

Brisbane listeners desert shock jock Alan Jones show on 4BC
Brisbane radio listeners are switching off Alan Jones's breakfast show, with the latest ratings showing the shock jock commands only 5.2 per ...

Scotty and Nige: Listener's online petition asks Canberra 104.7 to bring Scott Masters back
An online petition has attracted hundreds of signatures and it's understood dumped presenter is pursuing legal action.

ABC axe to religion will starve national discussion, broadcaster John Cleary tells listeners
A veteran ABC broadcaster, backed by a religious leader, has used his Sunday night program to denounce the effect of budget cuts to the national ...

Breast milk mix-up: radio listeners learn baby's HIV test results before parents
Radio listeners have learnt that a baby boy who was given the wrong breast milk has been cleared of having HIV before his parents were told. ...

TOPICS: Shake it off, J listeners
POLL: Forget Taylor Swift for a sec. If Tay takes out No.1 in today’s Triple J Hottest 100, it won’t be the first boilover.

6PR listeners vote Jaylea's Patisserie for Perth's best pies
Listeners to 6PR Afternoons with Peter Bell have spoken - and Jaylea's Patisserie in Willagee has trumped its rivals to be named Perth's best ...