insert select and select into

Hello,

I am using temp tables to generate a report.  I created most of the temp
tables and then use insert select.  I found for one, when I use insert
select, I get a different query plan than if I use select into.  The select
into get a much better performance.  The problem is I get dead locks on the
statement.  Is there anything I can do to change this behavior?

Thanks,

Josh Manfred

0
Josh
4/12/2001 2:08:15 PM
sybase.sqlserver.performance 1181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

SELECT from SELECT
Hi! I remember seeing an example where you can do a select from a nested select, but I cannot seem to make it work. So it would be something like this: select max( name ) from ( select name from customer union select name from vendor ) Was I dreaming I saw that? Thanks! D In article <4500243f@forums-2-dub>, daniel_AT_infrontsoftware_DOT_com@N0SPAM.com says... > Hi! > > I remember seeing an example where you can do a select from a nested > select, but I cannot seem to make it work. No, you weren't. Try (UNTESTED!) adding a...

select into vs insert/select
I am looking for ways to speed up a procedure, which as a part of an overnight processing is called about 3000 times. The procedure begins by inserting about 20 rows into a temp table created outside of the proc. I thought that this may be better done by a select into statement because it is minimally logged etc. I am running the two versions of the statement (insert/select and select into) 2700 times on a quiet server and it seems that the insert/select is a bit faster, a second or two. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Is it my assumption about select into being fas...

Select into vs. insert ... select ...
Hello, I am using temp tables to generate a report. I created most of the temp tables and then use insert select. I found for one that when I use insert select I get a different query plan that if I use select into. The select into get a much better performance. The problem is I get dead lock on the statement. Is there anything I can do to change this behavior? Thanks, Josh Manfred SELECT INTO #temp is a non-logged operation. This can provide a performance increase. However, one downside is that you may end up with a lot of contention on system tables. (I didn...

Selecting the multiple rows in GridView and inserting the selected rows to another Gridview & Performing some operations on it
 Dear All, I have become mad for solving this problem. Please Help me. I have a Gridview bound to a datasource. I inserted the CheckBox Control in Templet to select certain rows. Gridview1 contains some products id & name.I want to insert the selected rows in to second Gridview  and in the second Gridview I need to add two more colums AdvicedQty & AcceptedQty(TextBox Cotrol).The user will select few products in Gridview1 & clicks add which will be added another gridview then in second Gridview he enters the AdviceQty & AcceptedQty.After entering the data he cli...

Why is the select saying selected after an item is selected?
This was a whitelisting issue due to a software upgrade at hostgator..  Nothing wrong with my code..Scot King SEO Software Tool | Search Engine Optimization"Get your page rank high"  huh? It is smart to put your question in the body and not just in the title. Have no idea what your question is or if it even a question.Eric Pascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn use thisddl.options[ddl.selectedIndex].selected = false; //Clear the selection ddl.options[1].selected = trueMAKMark as Answer if this reply helps youMVP ASP/ASP.NetASP.Net Hosting : Host DepotMy Sit...

Performing sub select on XPathNavigator.Select() results
I have data that looks like this: <Stats> ... <Hits yyyy="2004" mm="02" dd="19" hh="00"> <FL>76</FL> <HP>24</HP> <EVNF>27</EVNF> <EVS>53</EVS> </Hits> <Hits yyyy="2004" mm="02" dd="19" hh="01"> <FL>75</FL> <HP>8</HP> <CSINF>21</CSINF> <CSIS>44</CSIS> <EVNF>7</EVNF> <EVS>21</EVS> ...

remote server select passed through/insert ... select not
This statement is passed through to a remote oracle server: select p.product_id, cast(so.fixed_std_time as int) + cast(so.fixed_std_time_hh as int)*60 + cast(so.fixed_std_time_dd as int)*1440 as fixed_std_time_minutes, cast(cast(socextgauge.operation_char_val as decimal(14,7))*.0000001 as decimal(7,7)) as gauge, cast(socpass.operation_char_val as int) as passnumber, cast(socalloy.operation_char_val as char(6)) as alloy from ppsprod.product p join ppsprod.standard_operation so on p.product_id=so.product_id and required_res_1='811' join ppsprod.standard_op_ch...

does an insert on xforms-select event necessarily cancel select?
Hi, i would like to invoke an insert (on another data node) when the user selects an item in a select form control. however with an insert the normal select doesn't work anymore. i searched through the spec's and i couldn't find any reason why this should block the normal capture/ bubbling of xforms-select and cancel subsequent events... is this a current limitation of the plugin or did i miss something in the spec? thanks in advance claude On Feb 10, 3:14=A0am, bernstein <clauden...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > i would like to invoke an insert...

INSERT ... SELECT performance question
I am inserting rows into one table from another using INSERT ... SELECT. This all works perfectly fine, but I'd like to improve the performance - particularly when the SELECT results in many thousands of rows. If I understand correctly, when inserting many rows performance can be improved by issuing periodic COMMITs. Is this true, and if so, does anyone have any ideas about how I can incorporate the COMMITs into the INSERT ... SELECT statement. Thanks, Dave. If you could group the rows together in some logical way, you could execute several 'insert select' st...

Concurrent inserts and selects/performance
Hi. We are currently evaluating your SQL Anywhere server. We ran into a problem today. Our application is a data acquisition/analysis system. We insert data in real time, and reports may be generated while data is being acquired. The problem is that when a report computes an aggregate from a large number of rows from a table, insertion into the table slows down to a crawl (10 to 20 times slower). We would like the insertion to have priority over the extraction. We tried setting BACKGROUND_PRIORITY on the select connection, but it did not help. Attached are the database sch...

select in the select statement
Hi, I am trying to add another select statement in my original/outer/overall select statement. Something like: Select 1, 2, 3 = (Select # from Table1 Where....) From Table 2 Where.... Does anyone know the standard way to write this or is there any other alternative that can perform the same behavior. Much thanks!! Kenny That's database dependent. In oracle you would use: select A.* from ( select * from mytable) A -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase "Kenny Tran" <...

Bug in SELECT from SELECT ?
I have a table intwb_items CREATE TABLE intwb_items ( wb_id integer not null, prod_id integer not null, qty numeric(12,5) not null, primary key(wb_id, prod_id) ) How can I obtain sum of 10 greatest "qty"? I tried to execute query: SELECT sum(qty) FROM ( SELECT top 10 qty FROM intwb_items ORDER BY qty DESC )as tmp But it raise error: "Syntax error or access violation: near 'ORDER' in ... FROM intwb_items [ORDER]" The same query but without "ORDER BY" works perfectly, but "TOP N" without "ORDE...

SELECT . FROM ( SELECT .. FROM )
Hi, In application we generate very effective SQL statements that are understandable by MS SQL Server and Oracle but give syntax errors on Sybase. I am talking about SELECT . FROM ( SELECT .. FROM a_table). For example: select 1 from (select abc_id from abc) or select 1 from (select abc_id from abc union all select abc_id from bcd) Is there any way to overcome this limitation? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Leonid Borisov Tefensoft On Wed, 15 May 2002 02:09:52 -0700, Leonid Borisov wrote: > Hi, > > > >...

Select in the select clause
How to use another select clause within a select clause itself. Like; select col1,col2,(select colx from table b) from table a . The above statement is throwing syntax error Thanks, Anandkumar B CGVAK Software & Exports Ltd. ( 0422 2434491/92 http://www.cgvakindia.com "anand_group" <anand@cgvakindia.com> wrote: > How to use another select clause within a select clause itself. > Like; > select col1,col2,(select colx from table b) from table a . > The above statement is throwing syntax error Ensure that subquery returns only one row. And...

Web resources about - insert select and select into - sybase.sqlserver.performance

Insert key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Insert key (often abbreviated INS ) is a key commonly found on computer keyboards . It is primarily used to switch between the two text-entering ...

Inserts Wallpapers & Photos on the App Store on iTunes
Get Inserts Wallpapers & Photos on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

hud-dot-epa south lincoln insert - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
www.sustainablecommunities.gov/pdf/partnership_accomplish...

Lumia 640 XL - How to insert SIM and memory card - YouTube
Learn how to get started with your Lumia 640 XL or Lumia 640 XL Dual SIM. In this video you'll learn how to insert the SIM cards and the memory ...

Google Maps prankster inserts image of Android robot urinating on Apple logo
It seems even Google Maps can fall victim digital vandalism.

Dear [insert name], Qantas takes your complaint very seriously, honest
What's more annoying than being delayed nine hours on a long-haul flight between Sydney and Los Angeles, while stuck in a seat with a broken ...

Skype to insert advertising into calls
Skype to insert advertising into calls

ISIS inserts disturbing images into N.L. vote Twitter chatter
Note: The CBC does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comments, you acknowledge that CBC has the right to reproduce, ...

Updates for Google Docs & Slides let you insert & quickly edit images on Android/iOS
Google is today rolling out updates to its Google Docs and Slides mobile apps bringing the ability to insert images directly from the app on ...

Gmail for iOS updated with ‘Insert from Drive’ and ‘Save to Drive’
Google has released an update to Gmail for iOS this afternoon that brings “Insert from Drive” and “Save to Drive” functionality to the iPhone ...