Welcome to the Sybase Newsgroups

Welcome to the Sybase SQL Server Newsgroups

This document contains information on how to best utilize the Sybase
Newsgroup Service as well as what you should expect from this service.  The
document is broken into sections to make it easier to read.  The sections
are as follows

Section 1:  Before you post messages here
Section 2:  Newsgroup Purpose
Section 3:  Rules and Boundaries
Section 4:  Current Products supported by the Newsgroups
Section 5:  How to get help
Section 6:  Sybase Phone Numbers

Section 1:  Before you post messages here

 Be sure to use the resources we provide you with wisely before posting a
message.  These resources include:

1.  The Powersoft InfoBase or Sybase AnswerBase CD ROM, which
contains the Sybase knowledge base
2.  Our WebSite, which has the most up to date InfoBases, Technical
Documents, etc.
3.  Our FaxLine Service
4.  The Documentation that comes with the product.

All messages posted to these newsgroups are in the public domain and may be
republished on Powersoft's InfoBase CD ROM as well as on our WebSite and
any new publishing schemes in the future.

We republish this information because it is extremely valuable to our other
customers.  The questions you ask and the answers provided both by TeamPS
and other members will answer other users questions.

We will only republish the following identifying information from a
message:
 The Newsgroup the message was posted to
 The Date/Time the message was posted
 The Subject of the Message
 The ENTIRE UNEDITED Message Text

DON'T USE SIGNATURE FILES!!!!!  Some people use Signature files when
posting messages to identify themselves or to provide more detailed
information about themselves such as their name, company, address, phone
number, and e-mail address.  We ask that you refrain from doing so.  The
contents of a Signature File become part of the message text itself and
cannot be removed before republishing.  Please do not include personal
information in your message such as credit card numbers, phone numbers and
e-mail addresses.

Most newsreaders allow you to put information like your Name, Organization
and E-Mail address in your preferences.  We recommend providing this
information as it is not included in your message's text or in anything
that will be republished and therefore is a safe way to allow you to
identify yourself.  It also helps us identify you and guarantee that we're
replying to the right person about a question.

Section 2:  Newsgroup Purpose:

This newsgroup service was established by Sybase as a vehicle for
customers and prospects to openly and freely exchange information and
ideas.  It is neither an alternative to, nor a replacement for a Customer
Support Contract.

1.  This is NOT Sybase Technical Support and it is not the purpose of
this newsgroup service to allow customers to get free technical support
from Powersoft.  It is a place for users to help each other and
exchange problems, solutions, information, and ideas.

2.  Sybase has no obligation to provide solutions, information or ideas
nor is Sybase obliged to provide anything other than a systems operator
(SysOp) to monitor the service and insure its operation and availability.
We will strive to do much more than that as resources permit.  Sybase
Product Support Engineers (PSE's) as well as other staff assist on the
newsgroup
service when they have time available.  They offer their help on a
volunteer basis and may not be available on a regular basis to provide
solutions and information. Their ability to help is based on their
workload.

3.  Sybase executives do monitor the newsgroup service to observe
customer reaction to the product, keep up with users thoughts for new
features, or offer executive opinions and viewpoints.

4.  The primary SysOp of the newsgroup service is a technical resource, but
the SysOp's primary responsibilities do not include the provision of
technical support.  The SysOp can be contacted regarding any
news service issues and can act as a liaison between the customer base and
Sybase.

5.  Sybase has selected a technically astute group of newsgroup members
to offer assistance to other
Sybase newsgroup members.  The name of this group is Team Powersoft
(TeamPS).  A listing of
the names of the current Team Powersoft members is always available in the
powersoft.public.news.teamps.roster newsgroup.  More information on the
Team Powersoft Program can be found in the
powersoft.public.news.teamps.information newsgroup.

Section 3: Some Rules and Boundaries

1.  Profanity, obscenities, racist remarks, and any other abuse of forum
members will not be tolerated.  Abuse of this guideline may result in forum
lockout without warning.

2.  Please set up your newsreader to include your Name, Organization, and
reply E-Mail Address.

3.  Please post messages in only one newsgroup and allow 24-48 hours for a
response.  Speed the response to your questions by placing them in an
appropriate newsgroup and providing a descriptive subject.

4.  Please put specifics on the message header(not "Help", "Bug", or vague
subject headers).
People often only review headers for messages they are interested in.  This
is in your best interest
in getting the most out of your message posting.

5.  Please do not ask more than one question per message.  If you have five
questions, please post
five messages.  That way, duplication of answers for one problem and
overlooked questions will
be minimized.

6. When replying, please quote only that part of the message you are
replying to in your message.  Some of us CAN'T remember what happened five
minutes ago, let alone yesterday and most people have their newsreaders
setup to only show them unread or new messages.  Do not quote entire
messages.

7.  Please refrain from sending "thanks" in the forum.  Anyone desiring to
thank the person assisting them should feel free to do so, but do this via
e-mail to minimize traffic and allow members to review both problems and
solutions. This is a standard practice and is also why many messages end in
TIA, Thanks In Advance.

8.  Please refrain from sending personal messages in the forum.  These
conversations are more properly carried on in e-mail.  Personal messages
may be removed without notification by the SysOp.

9.   Information that may be too large to fit within a message can be put
into either an ASCII Text , MS Write 3.1, or MS Word for Windows 2.0
document.  Information or samples can be attached to a message that is
posted within a newsgroup.  This information will scroll off at the same
rate as other messages in that newsgroup.  If you intend on attaching a
sample please make sure that all components are included and that your
sample does not contain a virus.

10.  Advertising of any kind should be posted only in the Classified
Newsgroups.  This is to minimize the cost and time for newsgroup members
that are not interested in job openings, 3rd party product announcements,
solicitations for employment, items for sale, etc... If you have a lengthy
description for a classified ad put the text into either an ASCII text
file, MS Write 3.1 or MS Word for Windows 2.0 document and attach it to
your Classified Ad's message before posting.  All Classified Ads will
expire after 30 Days.

Section 4:  Current Products supported by the Newsgroups:

Database:
SQL Anywhere
SQL Server
NetImpact Dynamo
Replication

Development Tools and Languages:
Optima++
Watcom C/C++
Watcom  Fortran 77
VX - Rexx
ObjectCycle

Database Design Tools:
S-Designor

Beta products being supported:
Product code named Starbuck

Support for new products as well as our other products will be introduced
in stages and will be announced on our WebSite when they are available.

Please be sure to post your message in the appropriate newsgroup so that
your question will be answered.

Section 5:  How to get Help using the Newsgroups

For questions regarding how to use your newsreader please use the help
provided with the newsreader and use the help systems provided by the
vendor who supplies the newsreader software.  You can also post a message
in the powersoft.public.news.help newsgroup but keep in mind that our staff
will not be familiar with every newsgroup reader that exists in the
marketplace today and therefore may not be of help.  If there is a problem
with the service please e-mail the SysOp.

If you have suggestions for new newsgroups please submit those suggestions
to the powersoft.public.news.feedback.new_groups newsgroup.  If you see
that the newsgroup you had in mind has already been suggested please post a
reply to the suggesting message so we can tally the votes.  Please post one
message per new newsgroup to make it easier to keep track of.

If you have any other suggestions or complaints regarding this service
please feel free to post those suggestions in the
powersoft.public.news.feedback.general newsgroup.  This newsgroup is
monitored regularly by the SysOps as well as TeamPS and all suggestions
will be considered.  This service is here to serve you;  your suggestions
and feedback are more than welcome always.

Section 6:  Sybase Phone Numbers

Main Phone- 508-287-1500   8 AM  to  8 PM   E.S.T.   Monday - Friday

Sybase Sales - 800-395-3525   8 AM  to  8 PM   E.S.T.  Monday - Friday

Sybase FaxBack - 303-575-6132   24 Hours a day, 7 Days a week

Powersoft FaxLine - 508-287-1600   24 Hours a day, 7 Days a week

Sybase Tech Support - 800-8SYBASE

Education - 508-287-1700   8 AM  to 8 PM    E.S.T.  Monday - Friday

BBS - 508-287-1850   24 Hours a day, 7 Days a week

Customer Relations - 508-287-1900   8 AM  to  5 PM   E.S.T.  Monday -
Friday

0
Kevin
5/28/1997 7:52:57 PM
sybase.sqlserver.nt 2169 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I am a journalist. In response to a Freedom of Information Act
request, a government agency sent me a VIP database of several
hundred megs, but it is not in a form I can read and query on a
PC. How can I do this? Or, where can I go for the conversion?

The agency that released the database said this about the files:
VIP1.er1  - The datamodel reverse engineered from the database.
This model was created using Logic Works ERwin ERX 3.5.

VIP2.dump - The dump file of the database. This backup is from a
Sybase SQL Server Version 11.0.3.3 on a Sun 1000 with a Solaris
2.5 operating system. The database size for loading must be a
minimum of 300 MB data and 100 MB log.

Here's what I have, based on a discussion with university
technicians who work with Sybase.

Based on the narrative in the README file on the DATA CD, it's
apparent that this "dump" file represents a low-level backup of
the Sybase database.

In order to "reconstruct" this database, the recommended approach
is to find a machine running the same operating system (Solaris
2.5) running the same version of Sybase (11.0.3.3).   Having met
those requirements, you would (1) create a database (named VIP,
sized according to the README specs), (2) copy the VIP.DUMP file
to local space on that server, and (3) execute the "load" command
to populate the VIP database from this backup file.

It should be possible to load this database dump into a Sybase
server running a newer release (e.g.  11.5, 1.9.2).   This
essentially would upgrade the database during the load procedure.

However, the Sybase dump files are NOT compatible across
operating systems (e.g.  Solaris - HP,  NT - Solaris, etc.).
The Sybase servers we support in our unit are all HP-UX
servers.    Which means we could not load the contents of this
VIP.DUMP file to our development Sybase server (because VIP.DUMP
is from a Solaris operating system and we're using HP-UX).

Assuming you could get this backup loaded into a Sybase server on
Solaris, I'm pretty sure Access would allow you to "eventually"
export all of the data down to a PC.
0
Bonnie
9/16/1999 12:33:34 AM
Hi Bonnie,

What you posted does indeed sound like pretty much everything you need
to do to get the data from this VIP2.dump file.

The exact Solaris OS version won't really matter, as long as
there is a Sybase ASE server running on it that is version 11.0.3 or
higher.

To load it, just create a 400 MB database.  The load process will split
this into data and log.

You could then pull the data out of the database using Sybase's BCP
utility (comes with ASE) to a set of tab-delimited flat files (one for
each table in the database).

I would guess that someone who knew what they were doing could
have the dump loaded and the data extracted within an hour.

Sounds like your biggest single problem will be getting a Solaris
installation of ASE to work with.

-bret

--
Bret Halford
Sybase Technical Support

Hi Kevin, Please post appropriately:

Would you be interested in exploring opportunity: 5 person s/w engineering
group, away from corporate, tech leading edge co. in their industry for s/w
products for publishing industry. UNIX Solaris, Mac, NT, Sybase SQL, Open
Client environment.  Great place to learn.  Boston area.  Text and graphics
management.  Their clients are also leading edge in their industry.  Work
directly for s/w dev mgr. Boston area, relocation package.

Diana Waters
Infuse Information Technology
818-781-6140 PST 9 to 9

  diana waters
   <dwaters@flashcom.net>
   HTML Mail
   Work: 818-781-6140, PST
   Conference Software Address

  Additional Information:
  Last Name
             waters
  First Name
             diana
  Version
             2.1

Kevin Kreutzweiser wrote:

> [...]
> please feel free to post those suggestions in the
> powersoft.public.news.feedback.general newsgroup.  This newsgroup is
> monitored regularly by the SysOps as well as TeamPS and all suggestions
> will be considered.  This service is here to serve you;  your suggestions
> and feedback are more than welcome always.
>
> Section 6:  Sybase Phone Numbers
>
> Main Phone- 508-287-1500   8 AM  to  8 PM   E.S.T.   Monday - Friday
>
> Sybase Sales - 800-395-3525   8 AM  to  8 PM   E.S.T.  Monday - Friday
>
> Sybase FaxBack - 303-575-6132   24 Hours a day, 7 Days a week
>
> Powersoft FaxLine - 508-287-1600   24 Hours a day, 7 Days a week
>
> Sybase Tech Support - 800-8SYBASE
>
> Education - 508-287-1700   8 AM  to 8 PM    E.S.T.  Monday - Friday
>
> BBS - 508-287-1850   24 Hours a day, 7 Days a week
>
> Customer Relations - 508-287-1900   8 AM  to  5 PM   E.S.T.  Monday -

begin:vcard
n:waters;diana
tel;work:818-781-6140, PST
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:dwaters@flashcom.net
x-mozilla-cpt:;-848
fn:diana waters
end:vcard

--------------1CA0486749E8AC3DAAC48C3F--

0
Diana

While using the new feature of execute() command in Transact-SQL of Sybase
version 12, I am not able to execute a string beyond 255 chars .

eg,

Select @statement = "select * from " +@database1 +" where ..."
(more than 255 chars long)
execute(@statement)

Is there any workaround for this?

Regards
Ramesh
0
rr2911

while using the dynamic transact sql feature of Sybase 12, I am
am not able to create a string more than 255 chars long

eg., select @statement = "select * from "+@database+" where ..."
     execute(@statement)

This is not executing as length of @statement is more than 255 chars long

Is there any workaround for this?

Regards
Ramesh
0
RRamesh
12/21/2000 11:45:09 AM
Try using multiple variables:

declare @p1 char(255)
declare @p2 char(255)
select @p1 = "select * from " + @database
select @p2 = " where id > 255"
execute (@p1+@p2)
go

Alternatively, go back to the sp_remotesql against the local server hack, as
sp_remotesql
can take multiple char(255) parameters and will concatenate them into the
input buffer.

-bret

RRamesh@chn.cts-corp.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while using the dynamic transact sql feature of Sybase 12, I am
> am not able to create a string more than 255 chars long
>
> eg., select @statement = "select * from "+@database+" where ..."
>      execute(@statement)
>
> This is not executing as length of @statement is more than 255 chars long
>
> Is there any workaround for this?
>
> Regards
> Ramesh

0
Bret

I have one query in ASE 12.

In my procedure, I have a situation like this :

execute("select * into #T1 from MyTable")
execute("select * from #T1")

But this gives the error:#T1 not found  during run time.
Is there any workaround for this?

Regards
Ramesh
0
RRamesh
1/18/2001 1:57:52 PM
Are automatically dropped once their context is exited, and
in this case the context is the duration of the EXEC command.

You can work around this by creating a permanent table in tempdb and
explicitly
dropping it once you are done:

execute ("select * into tempdb..T1 from MyTable")
execute ("select * from tempdb..T1")
execute ("drop table tempdb..T1")
go

RRamesh@chn.cts-corp.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have one query in ASE 12.
>
> In my procedure, I have a situation like this :
>
> execute("select * into #T1 from MyTable")
> execute("select * from #T1")
>
> But this gives the error:#T1 not found  during run time.
> Is there any workaround for this?
>
> Regards
> Ramesh

0
Bret

We are designing a data model where stored procedures and tables having
reference data will be in a common database, and all the other tables
involved in OLTP will be different databases depending on the client. That
is, there will be one database per client referring to a common database.
So, the number of databases will be equivalent to the number of clients,
all of them referring to a common database for using the stored procedures
and for referring the tables having reference data.

In this scenario, we want to use a powerful server with 8 CPUs, 2 GB Ram.
And we want to split the databases among two instances of Sybase, and
configuring 4 engines each, and each engine attached to a specific CPU, so
that we can expect good response time.  Is this kind of design viable?
Request your valuable criticisms and suggestions.

Regards
Ramesh

0
Ramesh

Welcome to Infomaker Newsgroup
Welcome to the Powersoft Infomaker forum! We hope that you find the forum a useful place to exchange information concerning the use of Infomaker that will enable you to use it to greater potential. To ensure that we all receive the greatest benefit from the forum, we have a few guidelines concerning its use: Forum Purpose -------------------- This forum was established by Powersoft as a means of providing a vehicle for its customers and prospects to openly and freely exchange information and ideas. It is neither an alternative to, nor a replacement for a Customer Support Cont...

Welcome to the Powersoft Newsgroups
Welcome to the Powersoft Newsgroups This document contains information on how to best utilize the Powersoft Newsgroup Service as well as what you should expect from this service. The document is broken into sections to make it easier to read. The sections are as follows Section 1: Before you post messages here Section 2: Newsgroup Purpose Section 3: Rules and Boundaries Section 4: Current Products supported by the Newsgroups Section 5: How to get help Section 6: Powersoft Phone Numbers Section 1: Before you post messages here Be sure to use the resources we provide ...

Welcome to the Powersoft Newsgroups
Welcome to the Powersoft Newsgroups This document contains information on how to best utilize the Powersoft Newsgroup Service as well as what you should expect from this service. The document is broken into sections to make it easier to read. The sections are as follows Section 1: Before you post messages here Section 2: Newsgroup Purpose Section 3: Rules and Boundaries Section 4: Current Products supported by the Newsgroups Section 5: How to get help Section 6: Powersoft Phone Numbers Section 1: Before you post messages here Be sure to use the resources we provide ...

Welcome to the Gateway NewsGroup
Welcome to the Sybase Gateway Newsgroup This document contains information on how to best utilize the Sybase Newsgroup Service as well as what you should expect from this service. The document is broken into sections to make it easier to read. The sections are as follows Section 1: Before you post messages here Section 2: Newsgroup Purpose Section 3: Rules and Boundaries Section 4: Current Products supported by the Newsgroups Section 5: How to get help Section 6: Powersoft Phone Numbers Section 1: Before you post messages here Be sure to use the resources we p...

Welcome to the PowerDynamo newsgroup
Welcome to the new PowerDynamo newsgroup. PowerDynamo is the new name for NetImpact Dynamo. PowerDynamo 2.0 has just been released as a separate product and is available for Windows NT/95 and Sun Solaris. This newsgroup is a forum for asking and answering questions about PowerDynamo. We hope you will find it helpful. Serena Laurence PowerDynamo marketing ...

sqlserver.general newsgroup
Hi : I am not able to read any messages from this newsgroup. Can anyone tell me what could be the reason? The message I am getting is: "Press <Space> to display the selected message. You can also choose to automatically show messages in the preview pane from the Options command." I am not also able to see the question I posted and the answers. Thanks, Arthi. Arthi Jayasundar wrote: > > Hi : > > I am not able to read any messages from this newsgroup. Can anyone tell me > what could be the reason? > The message I am getting is:...

[...]

Welcome to PowerSite Newsgroup
Welcome to the PowerSite Newsgroup! This forum is for the discussion of topics of common interest to the PowerSite development community. Feel free to post questions about the product; concerns about your development; and any other topics for discussion. Enhancements and bug reports should be submitted through WebExpress, our online Support tool. All posted messages will be in the public domain and may be republished on Powersoft's InfoBase CD ROM as well as on our web site in order to provide this extremely valuable information to our other customers. Do not use signature fil...

SQLServer future on NT
Hi, does anybody know here about Sybase development plans of Adaptive Server on NT? I know both Adaptive Server 11.x and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 very thoroughly, and I think position of Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 is going very strong on NT. Will Sybase proceed with this development, despite of small position here? Hi Michal CSPDBA,MCP We already have. ASE 12 has been available on NT for a while now. cheers, tonyi michal.mikulik@neos.cz wrote: > Hi, > does anybody know here about Sybase development plans of Adaptive Server on > NT? > I know both Adaptive ...

Welcome to the Powersoft Newsgroups
Welcome to the Powersoft Newsgroups This document contains information on how to best utilize the Powersoft Newsgroup Service as well as what you should expect from this service. The document is broken into sections to make it easier to read. The sections are as follows Section 1: Before you post messages here Section 2: Newsgroup Purpose Section 3: Rules and Boundaries Section 4: Current Products supported by the Newsgroups Section 5: How to get help Section 6: Powersoft Phone Numbers Section 1: Before you post messages here Be sure to use the resources we prov...

Welcome to the PowerBuilder.General newsgroup
Welcome to the Powersoft sponsored newsgroup for general PowerBuilder questions. While we encourage you to look around forums.powersoft.com to find a newsgroup that most precisely fits the topic of your question, we encourage those whose questions fall between the cracks to post their questions here. While Powersoft controls this newsgroup, there are some **MIS**interpretations of that fact that should be avoided: - "Posting a message means a guaranteed answer from Powersoft." In an effort to help PowerBuilder developers help each other become successful, Powersof...

Welcome to the Appeon for PowerBuilder Newsgroup
Welcome to the Appeon(TM) for PowerBuilder(R) newsgroup. This document contains information on how to best utilize the Sybase Newsgroup Service as well as what you should expect from this service. This newsgroup service was established by Sybase as a vehicle for users to help each other and exchange problems, solutions, information, and ideas. Sybase Technical Advisors as well as Appeon employees and Team Sybase members may assist on the newsgroup as time permits. To ensure that we all receive the greatest benefit from this forum, we have a few guidelines concerning its use: ...

Welcome to the DataWindow .NET Newsgroup!
Welcome to the DataWindow .NET newsgroup! We hope that you find the forum a useful place to exchange information concerning the use of DataWindow .NET that will enable you to use it to greater potential. To ensure that we all receive the greatest benefit from the forum, we have a few guidelines concerning its use: Forum Purpose -------------------- This forum was established by Sybase as a means of providing a vehicle for its customers and prospects to openly and freely exchange information and ideas. It is neither an alternative to, nor a replacement for a Customer Support ...

Welcome to the OLE-OCX-ACTIVEX newsgroup
Welcome to the OLE-OCX-ACTIVEX newsgroup. This is a forum for discussion on topics related to the usage of OLE, OCX and ACTIVEX with PowerBuilder. Feel free to post questions about the product, concerns about your development needs for enhancements and any other feedback. All posted messages will be in the public domain and may be republished on Powersoft's InfoBase CD ROM as well as on our WebSite in order to provide information that is extremely valuable to other developers. This is NOT Powersoft Technical Support and it is not the purpose of this newsgroup service to allo...

Web resources about - Welcome to the Sybase Newsgroups - sybase.sqlserver.nt

Netscape Mail & Newsgroups - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Netscape Mail and Newsgroups , commonly known as just Netscape Mail , was an email and news client produced by Netscape Communications Corporation ...

Chinese newsgroup accused of extorting companies for coverage
Chinese newsgroup accused of extorting companies for coverage People's Daily Online Eight people from 21cbh.com, including the editor-in-chief, ...

NY attorney general gets more ISPs to block alt.* newsgroups
New York's Attorney General has turned his initial efforts against online …

ISPs agree to block access to child porn sites, newsgroups
Verizon, Sprint, and Time Warner Cable agree to block Internet newsgroups and Web sites nationwide that disseminate child pornography, according ...

Microsoft Plans Newsgroups Shutdown
Microsoft plans to close the more than 2,000 public newsgroups and 2,200 private newsgroups devoted to its various products and services. Discussions ...

NBCUniversal Newsgroup jobs - mediabistro.com
Jobs and recruiting for social media and traditional media professionals covering journalism, social media marketing, social games, web development, ...

Google Acquires Deja Newsgroup Service - Search Engine Watch (#SEW)
Google purchased the Deja newsgroup archives last month and is now running them within its own site. Despite saving the service, Google came ...

Best and latest newsgroup - Page 2 of 5 info
... Subscribers Breaking RapidShare Stops Washington Lobbying Efforts and Regains Pirate Stamp On: 21/02/2014 Comments: 48 All Results For: newsgroup ...

More ISPs Decide to Filter Usenet Newsgroups
... in pressuring AOL and AT&T to join the ranks of Verizon, Sprint, and Time Warner Cable in limiting access to many or all of the Usenet newsgroups ...

AOL ditches newsgroups
Lack of use Win a Samsung 40-inch LED HDTV with The Reg and HP! AOL is pulling the plug on servers hosting newsgroups. AOL subscribers will ...