Tool to migrate from MS SQL -> Sybase SQL?

Is there a simple tool (besides bcp) to move from Microsoft SQL Server to
Sybase SQL Server? If yes, where can I find it?

Thanks in advance,

Bas Kroes
Bas.Kroes@Object.Nl
0
Bas
2/20/1998 8:33:43 AM
sybase.sqlserver.nt 2169 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Bas wrote:

> Is there a simple tool (besides bcp) to move from Microsoft SQL Server to
> Sybase SQL Server? If yes, where can I find it?

When you're using an old version of Microsoft (4.x) you can upgrade it
to Sybase. I don't now if this is possible with newer versions too..

But on the other hand: it is not very difficult to generate a script to
bcp out and in all you tables. When you want to move your model from MS
to Sybase there are a number of options:
- re run your old creation scripts (you can create those somewhere in
the MS Management tool)
- reverse engineer the datamodel with a tool like PowerDesigner

Reinoud van Leeuwen
Sybase Professional Services Maarssen / The Netherlands
0
Reinoud
2/20/1998 12:23:44 PM
Reinoud van Leeuwen wrote in message <34ED75D0.52A1@sybase.com>...
>Bas wrote:
>>
>> Is there a simple tool (besides bcp) to move from Microsoft SQL Server to
>> Sybase SQL Server? If yes, where can I find it?
>>

>When you're using an old version of Microsoft (4.x) you can upgrade it
>to Sybase. I don't now if this is possible with newer versions too..
>
>But on the other hand: it is not very difficult to generate a script to
>bcp out and in all you tables. When you want to move your model from MS
>to Sybase there are a number of options:
>- re run your old creation scripts (you can create those somewhere in
>the MS Management tool)
You can't to use scripts from MS EM directly.
For example Syntax for creating default is different in MS and SYB.
In MS I can to create int identity but in SYB not.
In MS I can to execute UPDATE a
                                       SET a.col1 = b.col1
                                       FROM t1 a, t2 b
                                       WHERE a.id = b.id
but in SYB not. Etc ...

I wrote special utility to convert scripts from MS EM to SYB.

>- reverse engineer the datamodel with a tool like PowerDesigner
>
>Reinoud van Leeuwen
>Sybase Professional Services Maarssen / The Netherlands

0
Vitaly

MS Access SQL migration to MS SQL Server TSQL
got some MS Access SQL Code that needs converting into TSQL: SELECT dbo_qryMyServices.FormsServiceID, dbo_qryMyServices.ServiceName, Sum(IIf(IsNull([CompletionDate]),0,1)) AS Completed, Count([pkServiceID])-Sum(IIf(IsNull([CompletionDate]),0,1)) AS Uncompleted, Count(dbo_MyServiceRequests.pkServiceID) AS TotalCount FROM dbo_qryMyServices LEFT JOIN dbo_MyServiceRequests ON dbo_qryMyServices.FormsServiceID = dbo_MyServiceRequests.PostType GROUP BY dbo_qryMyServices.FormsServiceID, dbo_qryMyServices.ServiceName ORDER BY dbo_qryMyServices.ServiceName; because it's Access and got V...

Problem with stored proc, migrating from MS SQL 2000 to MS SQL 2005
I've been migrating some DB from MS SQL 2000 to MS SQL 2005 all works fine but I have one problem with stored procedures. Even if there is actually no errors I get the message "The transaction ended in the trigger. The batch has been aborted.". The record is succesfully deleted but still I get the message above. I know MS SQL 2005 added the try/catch block did they change something else that cause compatibility issues with 2000? Here's a sample : *** DECLARE @Error bit DECLARE @ErrorMsg varchar (100) DECLARE @ContactIDToDelete int SELECT @ContactIDToDelete ...

FYI - Interesting difference between Oracle SQL and MS SQL
While converting some code from T-SQL to PL/SQL, I ran across an interesting bit of MS SQL code.  The code looked odd to me so I did a quick experiment to prove what it did.  I was quite surprised by the MS SQL results! In ORACLE: create table testunion (aaa number); insert into testunionselect 2 from dualunion select aaa * aaa from testunion;  select * from testunion;  -- Returns one record, as it should, "2" delete testunion; insert into testunionselect 2 from dualunion allselect aaa * aaa from testunion; select * from testunion; -- Returns one record, ...

SQL Anywhere tool like MS SQL Profiler?
Is there any functionality in SQL Anywhere that is similar to the MS SQL Profiler? If not, how about any noteworthy third party tools. I want to view in near real time the transactions that are occuring in the db. Thanks, Phil. On 2010-04-27 3:14 PM, Phil. wrote: > Is there any functionality in SQL Anywhere that is similar > to the MS SQL Profiler? > > If not, how about any noteworthy third party tools. > > I want to view in near real time the transactions that are > occuring in the db. > > Thanks, > Phil. There are a couple of options f...

Migrating dates from SQL Anywhere to MS SQL Server
I have just tried do add MS SQL Server 7 to the list of the databases supported by my PB/SQL Anywhere application and here is my problem: What do I have to do in MS SQL 7 to be able to use the SQL Anywhere 'date' data type? I don't want to rewrite my app and convert all dates to the datetimes because I have hundreds of them on literally hundreds of datawindows. SQL Anywhere has the 'date' data type. MS SQL 7 has 'datetime' which corresponds to the 'date' but you cannot just create a MS SQL user-defined 'date' type and map it t...

MS SQL Server migration tool
Is there a migration tool for MS SQL Server 2000 or 2005 that would migrate tables, indexes, triggers, stored procedures, and user defined functions? Check out PowerDesigner. Regards Arthur <Ralph> wrote in message news:49721e64.53d0.1681692777@sybase.com... > Is there a migration tool for MS SQL Server 2000 or 2005 > that would migrate tables, indexes, triggers, stored > procedures, and user defined functions? There is a section in the documentation on migrating databases to SQL Anywhere: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100e...

MS-SQL 7 to MS-SQL 2000
With Enterprise Manager, how can I convert a database from MS-SQL 7 to MS-SQL 2000 Thanks. Do you have Books Online? There is a topic in there called "Upgrading Databases from SQL Server 7.0 (Copy Database Wizard)" which will tell you how to do it. Terri Terri MortonEngagement Manager, NeudesicHow to ask a question Create a staging database to deal with issues before moving to the destination database. We still have some 7.0 and 2000 running. The process is test a lot then deploy. Hope this helps. Kind regards, Gift PeddieKind regards,Gift Peddie thanks guys...

Migrating data from SQL Anywhere to SQL Server Professional NT
We are in the process of moving from a SQL Anywhere database to SQL Server Professional on NT. Is there an easy way to migrate the data from the SQL Anywhere database to the SQL Server database? I tried using "unload" in SQL Central to create data files that could be used by BCP to reload the SQL Server, but I was having difficulty BCPing the data in (different file formats). Is there an easier way? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Linda D. Morison -- ******************************************************************** * Linda D. M...

Migrating from SQL Anywhere 5.5 to MS SQL 7.0
I have a large application written in Powerbuilder 6.5.1 using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5. I would like to change the database to Microsoft SQL Server 7.0. The app has the following : 300 datawindows / datastores Embedded SQL in about 100 events / functions. The Database has the following: 50 tables with indexes and foriegn keys NO stored procedures or triggers. I'm pretty sure I want to use ODBC and not native drivers. Question : If there a paper that will help me through this migration process. Hopefully I would not have to change any datawindows! I have already migra...

MS Access, MS SQL Express, MS SQL when you should use wich version?
Hi, I'm planning to make a website for a in first part a small user group. There needs to displayed some data in the database.But because the hostings party advices Acces.I like MS SQL Express more, because the size of the visitors is getting very big. The meaning of the project is to make a big website for the complete country. But i can use Access, it works, but does anyone know till how much visitors you can use access, and MS SQL Express ?Of course MS SQL is very nice, but its also very heavy to get a licence.The website is made for free and we need to run it in spare time, also for...

converting sql to MS SQL
I'm trying to unload a SQL Anywhere database to a MS SQL 6.5 database. The SQL produced from SQL Anywhere is not at all compatible. Is there an easy way of moving a database from SQLA to MS SQL darrell@texas.net Look at PowerDesigner from Powersoft. I can reverse engineer SQLA and create the MSSQL Server DDL for you. Dave Wolf Sybase Professional Services Darrell Fuller wrote: > I'm trying to unload a SQL Anywhere database to a MS SQL 6.5 database. > The > SQL produced from SQL Anywhere is not at all compatible. Is there an easy > way of moving...

UPDATEBLOB embedded SQL Statement and MS SQL Server 6.5 on Win NT
Hi, has anybody of you detected strange behaviour while using the UpdateBlob Statement? On Oracle 7.3 it works fine, but on a Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 the PB 5.0.05 application hangs. The sp_who on MS SQL shows a sleeping process with WRITETEXT in the cmd column. I tried to update a blob column in a table that is currently NULL with a small thumbnail image in bmp-format using the UPDATEBLOB statement. Thanks in advance for your answers. Thorsten Kummer - Development- tkummer@codesco.com >has anybody of you detected strange behaviour while using the UpdateBlob >Stateme...

any 3rd party DDL/data migration tools
MS SQL has more complex/rich sql design than ASE T-SQL. Any good 3rd party tools can do this type of migration works? Thanks dbMethods wrote: > MS SQL has more complex/rich sql design than ASE T-SQL. > Any good 3rd party tools can do this type of migration works? > > Thanks I disagree with your assessment of which has the better T-SQL but which migration direction are you looking at? -- Jason L. Froebe Help find a cure for breast cancer! Net proceeds benefit the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation and the National Philanthropic Trust. Help by donati...

how i will convert MS SQL Express Edition to MS SQL 2005
hi friend now i am using VS 2005 and MS SQL express edition as Database. i want to host the application. at server it will not support sql express edition. how i will convert .mdf file to MS SQL server 2005 please help me friends.abdul manzoor AOA Manzoor, There is no special requirement to convert MS SQL Express Database to SQL Server 2005 Database.. You can attach the SQL Express 2005 Database File (.mdf ) with the same database attachment procedure that we follow on SQL Server 2005 Database attachment , All you need is 1. Open the SQL Server 2005 Management Studio, Right Cl...

MS SQL 7 and MS SQL 2000
Situation. We have a client/server application written in PB 7 Build 6012. It works fine with MS SQL Server 7 When connecting to MS SQL Server 2000 in multiuser environment (more than 6 concurrent users) - numerous deadlocks and detrimental preformance. Does anybody have similar problems? Are there any changes in lock behaivour between MS SQL 7 and MS SQL 2000? On Thu, 06 Jun 2002 13:05:58 -0700, vovchik <Vladimir.Mylnikov@acs-inc.com> wrote: >Situation. We have a client/server application written in PB 7 Build >6012. It works fine with MS SQL Server 7 >When conn...

Web resources about - Tool to migrate from MS SQL -> Sybase SQL? - sybase.sqlserver.nt

1-800-Flowers Becomes the First Client to Migrate to Facebook’s Revamped Atlas Ad Platform
... platform , which Facebook announced at Advertising Week 2014 in New York at the end of September, has its first client, as 1-800-Flowers migrated ...

Facebook Migrates 400,000 Users to Fans of Apple’s Page
While Facebook has been turning up the marketing on businesses and brand owners to create Facebook Pages, one feature of Pages that is less well ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

'You don't migrate to this country unless you want to join our team': Tony Abbott renews push on national ...
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has elaborated on his "Team Australia" remarks, telling a radio interview that "you don't migrate to this country ...

Tony Abbott's woman problem migrates to his ministry
Tony Abbott is having women trouble. It's nothing he said, mind.

Doctors and Nurses From Poor Countries Migrate To Rich Ones
Australia has saved almost $640 million by poaching doctors from some of the poorest countries in Africa.

ISIS recruitment video Join the Ranks urges Indonesian Muslims to migrate to the Islamic State
A video released by the terrorist group shows Indonesian men urging Muslims to wage join the jihad.

Polar bears migrate to Canadian Arctic for longer lasting ice: study
Some polar bear clusters have slowly moved to islands north of Canada's mainland that are retaining the Arctic ice for longer, according to a ...

Apple now allows developer MobileMe users to migrate their accounts to iCloud
As promised, Apple has opened up a new portal at me.com/move for developers that the MobileMe service to migrate their entire account over to ...

Verizon Explains the Real Reason Geese Migrate
... In the new spot for Verizon we learn that geese hate buffering (and they have cell phones). To escape the dreaded "dead zone," the flock migrates ...