Sybase SQL Server 11 on NT 4.0 Server

Does anyone have problems with TCP/IP connections from PB clients to Sybase
SQl Server 11 on WinNT 4.0 Server ?
--

Regards,

John Fotiadis
Senior Systems Engineer
sybasegr@hol.gr, johnf@sybase.com.gr
Phone: + 30 94 464225
Relational Technology S.A.
Sybase Distributor in Greece (CBSS: 32809-1-1)
415 Vouliagmenis Ave.
16346 ATHENS
GREECE

Phone: + 30 1 995 8780
Fax:   + 30 1 995 8783
http://www.forthnet.gr/sybasegr

John
6/6/1997 9:23:18 AM
sybase.sqlserver.nt 2169 articles. 0 followers. Follow

John Fotiadis/SYBASE Greece wrote:

> Does anyone have problems with TCP/IP connections from PB clients to Sybase
> SQl Server 11 on WinNT 4.0 Server ?
> --

It takes about 2 minutes for my PB client on Win95 to connect to the
server
on WinNT 4.0 at the first time. After connection, everything is OK.
I've also tried ping utility comes with Sybase. Same thing happened.
But on Win 3.11, it only takes about 15 sec to do so.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

I have got another problem on server. I can't delete any record from a
table.
The server told me that this table is referenced by more than 16 tables.
Can anyone tell me how to increase this number?

Thanks.
0
fangj
6/11/1997 3:44:49 PM
fangj@midwest.co.cn wrote:

> John Fotiadis/SYBASE Greece wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have problems with TCP/IP connections from PB clients to Sybase
> > SQl Server 11 on WinNT 4.0 Server ?
> > --
>
> It takes about 2 minutes for my PB client on Win95 to connect to the
> server
> on WinNT 4.0 at the first time. After connection, everything is OK.
> I've also tried ping utility comes with Sybase. Same thing happened.
> But on Win 3.11, it only takes about 15 sec to do so.
>
> Can anyone tell me what's wrong?
>
> I have got another problem on server. I can't delete any record from a
> table.
> The server told me that this table is referenced by more than 16 tables.
> Can anyone tell me how to increase this number?
>
> Thanks.

Regarding the first problem, are you using the native Sybase driver SYt?
or ODBC?
You should use the native driver and the System 10/11 version.  I use
mine from Win95 (32-bit) to talk to 11.0.2 Professional on NT 4.0 with
SP 2 and I connect in moments (3-5 seconds).  I don't set any DBPARM
values and I have AutoCommit Mode checked.  That's it...I'm running 5.0
of PB 32; I haven't applied the 5.0.2 fixes.

Regarding the second problem (more than 16...), you have hit the famous
DRI limit Sybase imposes.  You have REFERENCES that total 16 or more and
Sybase won't let you modify the data (Insert, Update, or Delete) under
those conditions.  You can either:

1. remove all DRI (Declarative Referential Integrity) stuff for the
table and make your changes, and then reapply the DRI.

2. remove DRI that you don't need.  I bet this was error 428; you need
to reduce the number of foreign key references against this table or
that this table makes against others.

In either case, run sp_helpconstraint <tablename> to find out what
constraints are tied to this table.  It will also include domains,
defaults, and rules, and table-level constraints.  Only the foreign keys
should matter (the ...REFERENCES... part of your schema for that table
and related tables).
--
"Travelin' light but right..."
G. Patrick Sand (Pat.Sand@MCI.COM)
George Patrick Sand wrote:

> Regarding the first problem, are you using the native Sybase driver SYt?
> or ODBC?
I think it's native Sybase driver SYC 32-bit, and the NT 4.0 and Win95
are
all Chinese version. My PB is 5.0.2 32-bit.

> You should use the native driver and the System 10/11 version.  I use
> mine from Win95 (32-bit) to talk to 11.0.2 Professional on NT 4.0 with
> SP 2 and I connect in moments (3-5 seconds).  I don't set any DBPARM
> values and I have AutoCommit Mode checked.  That's it...I'm running 5.0
> of PB 32; I haven't applied the 5.0.2 fixes.

I wonder why Sybase limit the reference number to 16.
Should we not make such a design?
0
fangj
6/12/1997 3:38:48 PM
I've found what the problem is.
In sql.ini, I did not use IP addr. to reference the server.
Instead, I used the server name.
After changed to IP addr., it only takes a second to make
the connection, not 2 minutes.

fangj@midwest.co.cn wrote:

> It takes about 2 minutes for my PB client on Win95 to connect to the
> server
> on WinNT 4.0 at the first time. After connection, everything is OK.
> I've also tried ping utility comes with Sybase. Same thing happened.
> But on Win 3.11, it only takes about 15 sec to do so.
>
> Can anyone tell me what's wrong?
>
> I have got another problem on server. I can't delete any record from a
> table.
> The server told me that this table is referenced by more than 16 tables.
> Can anyone tell me how to increase this number?
>
> Thanks.
0
fangj

PB 5.0.04 on NT 4.0 running MS SQL Server 7.0?
Anyone running PB 5.0.04 on MS SQL 7.0? We're running against MS SQL 6.5 and are considering upgrading to take advantage of some of the new features. Are there new SQL drivers available or required? TIA, pat yuen pyuen@carmafinancial.com 5.0.04 doesn't work with SQL7, you'll need to upgrade to PB 6.5.1 or 7.0 Simon Pat Yuen wrote in message ... >Anyone running PB 5.0.04 on MS SQL 7.0? We're running against MS SQL 6.5 >and are considering upgrading to take advantage of some of the new features. >Are there new SQL drivers available or required?...

BCP of 4.9.2 SQL Server to 11.0.2 SQL Server
We have a client wishing to bcp data out of a 4.9.2 SQL Server database and bcp the data into an 11.0.2 SQL Server database. Just knowing of the problems that have arisen lately with regards to the System 11 bcp utility and the fact that 4.9.2 is such an old release, is the above task possible? If not, what is my alternative? Regards, -- Robert C. Marx SQL Financials International 770.291.8506 MarxR@SFI.com Rob Marx wrote: > > We have a client wishing to bcp data out of a 4.9.2 SQL Server database and > bcp the data into an 11.0.2 SQL Server database. Ju...

NT Server 4.0 and SQL Anywhere 5.0.03
I am having a problem getting SQL Anywhere 5.0.03 going on a NT Server 4.0 SP 3 machine. Both the server (dbsrv50.exe) and standalone (dbeng50.exe) terminate with a GPF after a short period of time (usually 1 to 2 hours but definitely over night - ~12 hours). This occurs with no database activity. Any hints?? thank you Kent Meyer I suggest that you check to make sure that all your drivers are up to date. Especially your drive controller drivers. I used to run 5.0.3 on NT without a problem, but the current version of SQL Anywhere is 5.5.04 and can be obtained from supp...

RSM Client 11.0 on Win NT 4.0 does not show server icons
Hi. Does anyone know why RSM Client 11.0 does not show monitored server icons on start up ?? RSM Client and Server are running on a Windows NT (SP3) box. Thanks. Juan Avila Does your RSM Server know about your various servers, i.e., does it have a *cfg file for each one in it's admin/config directory? I'm running the client on an NT4.0 box while the server is running on HP/UX. I just make sure all the servers I want to see are 'known' to the server ... or am I mis-reading your post? Mark Parsons Iron Horse, Inc. Juan Carlos Avila wrote: > ...

PB 6.0/SQL Server 6.5/NT 4.0 using TCP/IP
I'm trying to connect a client to MS SQL Server 6.5 on NT4.0 over TCP/IP and am running into a strange situation that I hope someone can help me with. If I connect to the server in another domain and go out and see the server, PB will connect without a problem. If I'm not connected to the server, PB can't make the connection and will time out. Is there any way you can make the connection without having to have the OS level connection? Can anyone also give an area in the manual to look for how the connection is done to TCP/IP? I looked in Connecting To Your Database and...

Backing Up Adaptive Server to a Tape Drive On Another NT 4.0 Server
I have been trying, with no luck, to backup an adaptive server database running on an NT 4.0 server to another NT 4.0 Server that has a tape drive. I see that this is possible in the online books. I would like to use Sybase Central to create the backups. Any help or tips on how to do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gene C. Gene C wrote: > > I have been trying, with no luck, to backup an adaptive server database > running on an NT 4.0 server to another NT 4.0 Server that has a tape drive. > I see that this is possible in the online books. I would li...

PB 4.0 Timer event not triggered in NT Server 4.0
Hi, We have an app. written in PB4.0 that uses timer function. Recently, we converted our NT server from 3.51 to 4.0. The app. now is not function properly, it seemed not triggering the timer event at all. Does anyone have any suggestion to this ? Thanks Jean use the syntax timer(this,number) or the timing object. I ahd found the same thing on NT HTH Jean C. Hsi wrote: > Hi, > > We have an app. written in PB4.0 that uses timer function. Recently, we > converted our NT server from 3.51 to 4.0. The app. now is not function > properly, it seemed > ...

open client 10.0.4 on nt 4.0 terminal server edition
Although i'm able to use sqledit and ping my sybase servers, when I run Docs Open 3.71, i receive a dr watson access error with nlnwadvnt from the sybase\dll directory. any ideas?? thanks, wootene.atc@gao.gov ...

has anyone used IE Controls on NT 4.0 web server IIS 4.0?
Has anyone succesfully installed and got the IE Controls on and NT 4.0 Server with IIS 4.0? We want to use the controls but don't want to upgrade the server yet. Let me know if you have tried, and if succesful what you had to do to make it work. Thanks a Bunch George I didn't know that ASP.NET was supported on NT... I thought I read somewhere it was not....

Batch file to stop sql engine on nt 4.0 server.
I need to know what commands i need to put into a batch file to stop the sql engine and then th e commands to start it again after my backup runs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Anthony net stop "name of the service" net start "name of the service" BTW, Why don't you use dbbackup for creating a backup? Geert Van Damme <Anthony> wrote in message news:2EB4FB9B87F161BE0010B5EE852569DE.0010B629852569DE@webforums... > I need to know what commands i need to put into a batch file to stop the > sql engine and then th e commands to start i...

SQL Server 10 on SCO Unix to NT 4.0 migration
Has anyone performed a migration of a SQL Server 10 database from an SCO Unix platform to an NT 4.0 platform? I'm looking for the easiest method to migrate about 20 GB of data and any know issues/pitfalls. Thanks! ...

Year 2000 on SQL Server 11.0.2.1 for NT
Hi all, We are running SQL Server 11.0.2.1 on an NT server 4. Can anyone tell me what patches are needed to upgrade this version to be Year 2000 compliant. Can they be downloaded from the Sybase support page? Thanks in advance Pravin Desai On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:09:41 -0000, "Pravin Desai" <desai_p@admiral.co.uk> wrote: >Hi all, > >We are running SQL Server 11.0.2.1 on an NT server 4. Can anyone tell me >what patches are needed to upgrade this version to be Year 2000 compliant. >Can they be downloaded from the Sybase support page? Yo...

SA 5.0.0.3 slow down on NT 4.0 server
We are having a problem with SA 5.0.0.3 slowing down over a period of time on an NT 4.0 (Service Pak 2) server Searches that used to take 5-15 secs start taking longer and longer, sometimes as long as 2-3 MINUTES. The only "solution" we have found is to shutdown the server. A warm reboot is not sufficient to return the performance to normal. We must power off the machine and restart. Once we do this, we are back to seconds for searches. Does anybody else have any input for this problem....Have already opened an issue with Sybase, seeking additional info to help diagnose the ...

Can I transfer data in SQL Server on NT to SQL Server on Unix?
Yes, through bcp -c. AnaMaria Stirbet Sybase TS ...

Window NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition Security Rollup Package 1 Now Available
Window NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition Security Rollup Package 1 Now Available Time: 00:03 EST/05:03 GMT | News Source: ActiveWin.com | Posted By: Robert Stein Microsoft has released the first Security Rollup Package (SRP) for Microsoft� Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition (TSE SRP1). TSE SRP1 includes the functionality of virtually all security patches since the release of Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition Service Pack 6 (SP6). TSE SRP1 is a small, comprehensive rollup of post-SP6 fixes, and provides an easier mechanism for managing the rollout...

Web resources about - Sybase SQL Server 11 on NT 4.0 Server - sybase.sqlserver.nt

Sybase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sybase was founded in 1984 by Mark Hoffman, Bob Epstein, Jane Doughty and Tom Haggin in Epstein’s home in Berkeley, California. Together, they ...

Data Warehouse, Database Management Software Systems, Mobile Enterprise Solutions - Sybase Inc
Sybase is an industry leader in delivering enterprise and mobile software to manage, analyze and mobilize information for business intelligence, ...

Enterprise Data Management, Analysis and Mobilization Software - Sybase Inc
Sybase is an industry leader in delivering enterprise and mobile software to manage, analyze and mobilize information for business intelligence, ...

Sybase Mobile Workflow 2.1 on the App Store on iTunes
Get Sybase Mobile Workflow 2.1 on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

New BlackBerry COO is ex-Sybase exec Marty Beard
... a new chief operating officer, Marty Beard, recently CEO of cloud customer service company LiveOps and before that an executive at Sybase.

BlackBerry hires sales chief from Sybase
BlackBerry chief executive John Chen is hiring another executive from the ranks of the previous U.S. technology company that he turned around. ...

After Stepping Down as Sybase CEO Last Week, John Chen Joins Silver Lake as Senior Adviser Today
Private equity firm Silver Lake has appointed former Sybase CEO John Chen (pictured here) as a senior adviser. Chen had a long tenure at the ...

Tennis tourney on solid footing, Sybase sponsorship in flux
... with Daily Local Business News, Resources &amp; more in San Jose, California. The tennis tournament known for the last seven years as the Sybase ...

Chen’s BlackBerry Revival Task Mirrors Sybase in 1990s
Fifteen years after saving Sybase Inc. from its death spiral, John Chen is being called upon to revive a beaten-down BlackBerry Ltd.

SAP Loses Sybase’s Chen After Gaining Blueprint for Deals
SAP AG is losing a top executive from Sybase Inc., the largest acquisition in the German software company’s history, after fully integrating ...