Migration to ASE 12 from ASE 11.5

Hi all,

Has anyone out there perormed a migration from ASE 11.5.1.1 to ASE 12 on NT.
If so I would be greatful if you could provide information on the following

1. Ease of migration and any issues encountered.

2. Sizes of databases migrated

3. Adopted migration plans - I could not find anything on the Sybase web
site.

4. Experiences on ASE 12.

Thanking you in advance

Puvendran

0
Puvendran
2/4/2000 1:57:11 AM
sybase.sqlserver.nt 2169 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Yes, I have performed a migration from both v11.5.1 to v12 and from
v11.9.2.1 to 12. I have put my responses below each of your questions.

--
Andy Price,
Sybase Certified Adaptive Server DBA v11.5

Puvendran Selvaratnam <puvendran.selvaratnam@btfinancialgroup.com> wrote in
message news:gX7jsOrb$GA.184@forums.sybase.com...
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone out there perormed a migration from ASE 11.5.1.1 to ASE 12 on
NT.
> If so I would be greatful if you could provide information on the
following

> 1. Ease of migration and any issues encountered.

Firstly, I recommend not performing an upgrade, but remove the v11.5 of
Sybase and then reinstall the v12 binaries. Make sure you go through the
registry manually before reinstalling v12 on NT as Sybase's uninstaller
leaves a lot of entries behind.

The migration is simple and i encountered no problems as such, though you
need to be aware that syslogins has an additional column in v12 (logincount
smallint). When I create a new server (v11.x), I always bcp out syslogins
and sysloginroles so that all databases when they are loaded have the user's
mapped to their correct suid in syslogins and it keeps their passwords in
v11.x servers. In v12, the passwords do not work if you perform a bcp in of
syslogins so you'll have to update these if you adopt this approach. An
alternative to bcp in of syslogins and sysloginroles is to reverse-engineer
the sp_addlogin and sp_adduser/sp_addalias commands IN THE CORRECT ORDER. I
recommend this for migrating to v12. If you have a user's table containing
their unencrypted passwords, you can use that to recreate their logins
properly. If not, it's a case of setting it to something people should
change immediately. If you have triggers, you will need to update statistics
in those databases or they won't fire (this happened in v11.9.2). It is a
good idea to do this anyway.

nothing else of note, just make sure you have time to read up on the new
features and changes to the optimiser. test your main queries to ensure they
run at least as fast. benchmark your back-up procedures.

> 2. Sizes of databases migrated

The main databases were 50gb and 14gb and a host of 3 - 4 gb databases.

> 3. Adopted migration plans - I could not find anything on the Sybase web
> site.

See point 1. Remove 11.5, install 12, configure your caches, total memory,
remote servers, worker processes, etc, add logins, resize master and tempdb,
drop tempdb's default and logsegment segments from master, create a 50mb
device and make it the default device (removing master as the default
device), install and configure dbccdb and reload from dumps for your user
databases. DO NOT LOAD master or any system databases from a dump. DBCC your
databases as soon as possible. you know the drill ...

> 4. Experiences on ASE 12.

I'm working with an MS Cluster and am looking to test v12 in the cluster as
opposed to two 11.9.2.1 servers, so I have nothing to report on that front.
I also haven't tested Rep Server with v12 yet. I am using v12 as far as
acceptance environments at present. The new merge-join looks like it does
v12 justice and i am interested in the future optimiser enhancements that
are planned.

0
Andy
2/7/2000 5:18:16 PM
Andy,

Have you done an 11.3 to 12.0 migration? Any tips on gaps between the two?
0
Anonymous

ASE Migration From ASE 11.5.1 (NT) to ASE 12.9 on Win2003.
Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on above subject? Thank you. ASE 12.9? Currently, no released versions of ASE are certified on Win 2003. ASE 12.5.1 will be certified when it is released later this year. Mark Kusma <Lily Maria> wrote in message news:3f497cad.367e.846930886@sybase.com... > Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on > above subject? > Thank you. Thanks for the info. I would like to know if there's any online documentation on migration and upgrade plan of the ASE 11.5.1 to ASE 12.5.1? Do applica...

Migration from ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5
Hello I am planning the migration from Sybase 11.5 to 12.5. Can someone point me to some documentation on the subject? I am particularly interested in documents that explain the best way to migrate database objects (tables, indexes, etc...) and data. Thanks in advance. Jorge Vergara Sispro S.A. Canoas - RS - Brasil jlvergara@sispro.com.br wrote... > Hello > > I am planning the migration from Sybase 11.5 to 12.5. Can someone point > me to some documentation on the subject? > I am particularly interested in documents that explain the b...

Dump from NT ASE 11.5 to NT ASE 11.5.1
I am having trouble dumping a 11.5 ASE database to a 11.5.1 backupserver. I have the remote backupserver listed in the 11.5 remote servers list. It works going from the 11.5.1 machine to the 11.5 machine. Is there a compatibility issue? Thank you for your time. Dax daj@abmdata.com What do you mean by 'having trouble'? Are you getting error messages? If so, what error messages? Any error messages in the backupserver errorlog? Is the dump command hanging? not completing? What is the actual dump command that you're using? Does the target tape/director...

Converting NT 11.5 ASE to a Solaris 12.5 ASE
We are trying to migrate a server running on Windows NT to a Solaris machine. The NT box is running ASE 11.5 and the Solaris box is running 12.5. So far, the only way we have came up with to migrate the data is bcp. The problem is we estimate this to be probably about a 6-7 hour process. Our shop runs 24*7*365 and unfortunately downtime is not something we get. In the past when we have migrated servers, we have used warm-standby which has worked really nicely. But in this case we can't run dump and load to populate the database. Has anyone been able to migrate an NT box to a...

Migrate ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5 causes pc-client problem!!
Hi all, I migrated ASE 11.5/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.5.1 to ASE 12.5/SWR 9609 GA/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.8 on Sun box. I face problem on win 98 client application, written by VB 4, when it use recordset (DAO 3.0) to update table in ASE 12.5. The problem occure when use ODBC sybase system 10. Error in application is [INTERSOLV][ODBC SQL Server driver][SQL Server]Variable is not allowed in trigger. If I use passthru mode to run the same SQL on ASE 12.5, it is not such an error. Then I try to install 12.5 pc client on that machine but I can not do that because when during the installation proc...

rep solaris ase 11.5.1 to nt ase 11.5/11.51
Help! I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase 11.5 or 11.5.1 on nt on intel. Could you answer the following: 1) To move the initial data I would like to load the dump data from the Solaris server to Windows nt server. Can this be done? 2) Do my device definitions on the Nt side need to duplicate those on the Solaris side. 3) The repserver is on Solaris as well. I only have 11.5 on nt can get ase 11.5.1 on nt. Is this an issue. Do I need repserver on nt? Any known traps? george wrote: > Help! > > I need to replicate 11.5.1 ase on Solaris 2.6 to ase...

Migration from ASE 11.5 NCR to ASE 11.5 SUN
Hi everybody. I have a question about the migration from ASE 11.5 on NCR to ASE 11.5 on SUN Solaris 2.6. My question is, how can I do the data migration without the use of bcps and DBArtisan? Exists another tool that leave me migrate the data more easy? Thanks, mpacheco@banrural.com.gt wrote... > Hi everybody. > > I have a question about the migration from ASE 11.5 on NCR to ASE 11.5 on > SUN Solaris 2.6. > > My question is, how can I do the data migration without the use of bcps and > DBArtisan? Exists another tool that leave me migrate the data ...

Migration : ASE V12 (HP UX 11) to ASE V 12.5.3 (AIX 5.3)
Hi, I have to migrate a DB ASE 12.0.0.8 from HP (HP UX 11) to ASE 12.5.3 (IBM AIX 5.3) here are the characteristics: HP UX ------ The default Unix charset on the platform is Roman8. The ASE/db Charset is UTF8 AIX (5.3) --- The default Unix charset on the platform is Iso The ASE/db Charset will be UTF8 Someone told me Cross-platform DUMP/RELOAD is not possible. note that I didn't try it yet, but i will. Does anyone know about that ? If this is not possible i'll have to use 'bcp' IN/OUT i guess ? but i dont know exactly what syntax i should use w...

Migration : ASE V12 (HP UX 11) to ASE V 12.5.3 (AIX 5.3)
Hi, I have to migrate a DB ASE 12.0.0.8 from HP (HP UX 11) to ASE 12.5.3 (IBM AIX 5.3) here are the characteristics: HP UX ------ The default Unix charset on the platform is Roman8. The ASE/db Charset is UTF8 AIX (5.3) --- The default Unix charset on the platform is Iso The ASE/db Charset will be UTF8 Someone told me Cross-platform DUMP/RELOAD is not possible. note that I didn't try it yet, but i will. Does anyone know about that ? If this is not possible i'll have to use 'bcp' IN/OUT i guess ? but i dont know exactly what syntax i should use w...

Migration from ASE-64 bits 12.5.0.2 to ASE 64 bits 12.5.3 for AIX 5.3
Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 bits) Thank you kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to > migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 > bits) > > Thank you Apply 12.5.2 IR then 12.5.3 esd 5. -- Jason L. Froebe http://jfroebe.livejournal.com http://www.propsmart.com Team Sybase On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:18:22 -0800, kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an > ASE 12.5.0.2 ...

ASE 11.5 on same server as ASE 12.5?
Anyone have 11.5 running on same server as 12.5 on NT? Would not be concerned to do this in Solaris as I am on an NT 4.0 Box sp6. Any known gotchas or issues? Going to take toni's advise in earlier posting on doing the 11.5 install as a seperate user on the server already running 12.5 just fine. Hope this wilkl take care of env vars??? We have one app that the company who developed it will no longer support us on newer versions of Sybase as a result this one crucial app must stay up and running on 11.5 while we allow the rest of our company to progress forward to 12.5 an...

ASE 11.9.2 -> ASE 12.5 Migration over Replication Server?
Hi, I've heared about the possibility to migrate an ASE (11.9.2->12.5, both 32bit) over the Replication server. Is it also possible with this solution to increase the page size (old ASE 11.9.2 with 2k -> new ASE 12.5 with 4k)? If yes, could anybody explain me please how that works? We've been using Rep. Server only for warm standby. Thank you in advance. Best regards, Marco Stroech ______________________________________________________ Marco Stroech Databases AOL Deutschland � Millerntorplatz 1 � 20359 Hamburg � Germany +49 (40) 36159-7454 � fax: +49 (40...

ASE 12.5 vs ASE 11.5 performance issues
Hi All, Again my question is about performance of ASE 12.5 against 11.5.01 We have a huge production client-server application running on W2K server with ASE 11.5.0.1 database (more than 400 tables, 2000 stored procedures). The database was placed on raw disk partitions (no RAID) and split between different physical drives as follows: data, log, tempdb and master database are located on different drives. We have two PIII, 1GHz, 1 GB of memory and give 800MB for ASE. We create separate tempdb cache and bind tempdb to it. Database was bind to default data cache. Then we want to switc...