ASE security

Has anyone successfully granted admin(sa,sso) roles to users? I have
gotten the following:

1> grant role sa_role to bob
2> go
Msg 156, Level 15, State 1:
Line 1:
Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'role'.

this is while logged in as sa.

Also I have read about the Sybase Central utility. does this come with
the Linux version? If so where is it installed? If not is it available
for free?
0
bobs_depot
4/3/1999 6:44:09 AM
sybase.sqlserver.linux 1108 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I recieved an email from Ryan Lubke with the commands that work.
sp_role "grant", "sa_role", user_name
exec sp_role "grant", "sso_role", user_name.
go

The online manual states to use grant role as shown below, which doesn't
work. Thanks Ryan.

In article <MPG.116f669f27341c83989681@192.168.100.100>,
bobs_depot@hotmail.com says...
> Has anyone successfully granted admin(sa,sso) roles to users? I have
> gotten the following:
>
> 1> grant role sa_role to bob
> 2> go
> Msg 156, Level 15, State 1:
> Line 1:
> Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'role'.
>
> this is while logged in as sa.
>
> Also I have read about the Sybase Central utility. does this come with
> the Linux version? If so where is it installed? If not is it available
> for free?

0
bobs_depot

Secure By Design: How Guardian Digital Secures EnGarde Secure Linux
"EnGarde Secure Linux is not just another "repackaged" Linux distribution, but a modern open source system built from the ground up to provide secure services in the threatening world of the modern Internet."... http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/125195/171/ ...."The Community edition of EnGarde Secure Linux is completely free and open source, and online security and application updates are freely available with GDSN registration."... http://www.engardelinux.org/modules/index/index.cgi -- js ...

Schneier on Security: Linux Security
Schneier on Security: Linux Security http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/01/linux_security.html *********************************************************** Quote *********************************************************** I'm a big fan of the Honeynet Project (and a member of their board of directors). They don't have a security product; they do security research. Basically, they wire computers up with sensors, put them on the Internet, and watch hackers attack them. They just released a report about the security of Linux: =====================================...

Solaris ASE to Linux ASE
We are looking into using Replication Server to Set up Warm Standby of Production ASE databases - Primary site being on Solaris platform - Standby Copy on Linux. Does any utilize this configuration ? What is the best way to initialize data on the Standby Server ? What other issues should I be concerned with ? Hi, Technically you can setup Warm Standby across platforms. It may work well too with Replication Server. However, you cannot dump and load the databases (cross platform dump and load not supported), hence there will be issues when you need to resync your databases. Eac...

Same machine: ASE 12.5.3 Linux vs ASE 12.5.3 Windows
We had a report from one of our clients recently that our Sybase ASE-based app was running slowly on their new Linux box. As we develop internally against ASE on Windows we thought it would be an interesting test to install both the Windows and Linux flavors of ASE 12.5.3 onto the same server and look at the relative performance. We used a Dell PowerEdge 1950 with 2 x Intel Xeon 3.73GHz dual core processors. On one drive we put SuSE Enterprise Linux Server 10 x86-64, and on the other we put Windows Server 2003 Std R2 64-bit edition. Both were fresh-off-the-CD OS installs. ...

Linux security
I read this article, 'CommsDesign - Linux and Security: Mission Impossible?' (http://tinyurl.com/yjfnqqa) and it brings up some good points. With the kernel being at about 11 million lines of code, it is becoming unmanageable, and thereby more vulnerable. Anyway, I found it an interesting read. Don't think I agree with all his points. -- ' ' (http://thecompletecomputerresource.com/) ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jonathan_R;2055270 Wrote: > I read this article, 'CommsDesign - Linux and Security: M...

migrate ase nt to ase linux
what is the fastest way to do the data transfer ? is there any specify data folders like in mysql that i can just copy over? Dump and load the database. -bret j wrote: > what is the fastest way to do the data transfer ? is there any specify data > folders like in mysql that i can just copy over? ...

Question :Linux box Linux to the ASE server
Hello there, I have setup up an ASE server on my redhat 6.0, i tried to link this server from another computer which running the winNT(open client is installed) and it is works very well. and i want to link(use) the ASE server from another Linux(also installed Redhat 6) How can i do ? i guess i should first install something just like the open client like my WinNT box and then install some Admin tools Please give me advice, TIA -- o __ _ | / \_|/ |/\__/ |__/ /| \| Tomorrow Never Die jOe wrote: > > Hello there, > > I ha...

F-Secure Readies Security Software For Linux
F-Secure Corp. on Tuesday unveiled security software for open-source Samba file servers and Linux, addressing a need that's growing within the enterprise market. The Finnish company announced the availability of antivirus software for Samba that automatically detects and removes viruses from files stored on the server. The new product is meant to protect all Samba-attached computers from malicious code that could enter the network from a Windows or Linux machine. Next month, F-Secure plans to ship a Linux version of F-Secure Policy Manager, which will extend centrally managed ...

ASE and ASE

ASE for LINUX
Hello, I am a newcomer on this forum. I have installed ASE 11.9.2 on a Linux Mandrake 8.0 PC, and everything seems to be all set. But now I want to load a database from a file on my HD. This file is a dump of an existing ASE 11.9.2 database, but it was an AIX 4.2.1 version of ASE, and it doesn't seem to work properly. Does anyone know why, and if it is possible to solve this problem? Juliano: Sorry, but unfortunately you picked the wrong forum. Try the 'sqlserver' forums instead, they deal with ASE issues. -- Jonathan Baker eBusiness Division Sybase, Inc. ...

Linux Security
I am a Linux newbie who's been experimenting with several different distos of Linux. Currently I have both Xandros and Mandrake 9.0 running. Are there any good ant-virus, anti-trojan, anti-spyware programs out there for Linux which have a good GUI. I don't really want to command line programs.... thanks rwf On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:10:16 +0000, rwf wrote: > I am a Linux newbie who's been experimenting with several different > distos of Linux. Currently I have both Xandros and Mandrake 9.0 running. > Are there any good ant-virus, anti-trojan, anti-spyware progra...

ASE for linux
What version of linux can support Sybase ASE 11.9.2 On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 10:28:49 -0700, Ravi Saini <ravi@unify.com> wrote: >What version of linux can support Sybase ASE 11.9.2 The requirements listed in the documentation are: 486 or better Kernel 2.2.5 glibc 2.0.7-29 32M RAM or better TCP/IP support There's a note indicating that 128M of RAM is recommended. Wim ten Have (of Sybase) posted a message to the ase-linux mailing list: > What LINUX distribution can you advise me ? Red Hat (5.2, 6.0) - Caldera (Open Linux 2.2) \ - S.u.S.e (6.2) ...

LINUX and ASE
Has anyone installed and tested this yet? Any comments? Michael Loftus wrote: > Has anyone installed and tested this yet? Any comments? Hi, I have. No real problems. Just waiting on the 2.0.36 kernel for the connecting bug in the linux kernel to be fixed. Have a db with 4gb running on two raw partitions. No problems. I'd like OpenClient 11.1.1 though. J ...

ASE for Linux
Hello: Whether Sybase have ASE for Linux? Tony Tang tonytang wrote: > > Hello: > Whether Sybase have ASE for Linux? > No. There is no ASE for Linux. Sybase has not announced any plans to port ASE to Linux. -- Bret Halford Imagine my disappointment Sybase Technical Support in learning the true nature 3665 Discovery Drive of rec.humor.oracle... Boulder, CO 80303 I suppose this stems from oracle's announcement to support Linux in various flavors... Bret Halford wrote: > tonytang wrote: > > > > Hello: > &...

ASE-Linux
This post is ultimately about linux. Using trial versions of VMWare Fusion and Parallels on a Macbook Pro ( Intel Core Duo ), I installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn Desktop, Solaris 10, and CentOS 5. With each of these, I created two more VMs, one as the original installation, and one updated to the latetest version using the system update tools. That is twelve (12) permutations. I then tried installing ASE 15.0.2 developer edition on all twelve of the installations mentioned above. None of them could complete the ASE installation process. Every single one aborted the ASE installion ...

Web resources about - ASE security - sybase.sqlserver.linux

Krebs on Security
The House Financial Services Committee is slated to hold a hearing this Friday on the impact of cyber heists against small- to mid-sized businesses. ...

Security Middle East - Latest news from the Middle East.
Security Middle East is a news portal for the entire security industry, focussed specifically on latest security news from the Middle East. Security ...

Information Security News, IT Security News & Expert Insights: SecurityWeek.Com
IT Security News and Information Security News, Cyber Security, Network Security, Enterprise Security Threats, Cybercrime News and more. Information ...

Security (finance) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
equity securities, e.g., common stocks ; and, The company or other entity issuing the security is called the issuer . A country's regulatory ...

Comcast security flaw could help burglars break into homes undetected
(credit: Comcast) A security vendor says it discovered a flaw in Comcast's home security system that could let criminals break into houses undetected ...

Obama’s Gun-Control Plan Includes Gun-Ban For Some Social Security Beneficiaries
Obama's Gun-Control Plan Includes Gun-Ban For Some Social Security Beneficiaries

Widow calls for Hebdo security probe year after attacks
Ingrid Brinsolaro says husband "saw dysfunctions" in protection of attacked newspaper as nation marks beginning of terrorism nightmare

Sky Chooses Security Software and Services Solutions From Cisco for Next ...
Sky Chooses Security Software and Services Solutions From Cisco for Next ... CNNMoney CES 2016 Sky, Europe's leading entertainment company ...

Presence security camera keeps an eye outside your door
Consumer electronics company Netatmo has made a camera that is easily overlooked as it keeps a lookout outside your door. The outdoor surveillance ...

Rubio Tells Clinton, Cruz To Man Up On National Security, And They Respond
Rubio Tells Clinton, Cruz To Man Up On National Security, And They Respond