ASE 11.5, 11.9.2?

Are there any plans to release newer versions of ASE on Linux?  Will
fixes to the current release be made available?
0
Paul
1/27/1999 1:37:39 PM
sybase.sqlserver.linux 1108 articles. 1 followers. Follow

--------------EBDC13D328A20FE4F7626E93

Paul Mapstone wrote:

> Are there any plans to release newer versions of ASE on Linux?  Will
> fixes to the current release be made available?

Hi Paul,

I do not know.  Contact your Sybase sales representative and request
it.

Jason

--------------EBDC13D328A20FE4F7626E93

begin:vcard
n:Froebe;Jason
tel;fax:773-864-7288
tel;work:1-800-8SYBASE
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.sybase.com
org:Sybase, Inc.;Technical Support
adr:;;8755 W. Higgins Road Suite 1000	;Chicago;IL;60631;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:jfroebe@sybase.com
title:Technical Support Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;20256
fn:Jason Froebe
end:vcard

--------------EBDC13D328A20FE4F7626E93--

0
Jason
1/27/1999 3:06:06 PM
Paul,
I have not seen any definitive plans from Sybase to make Linux a
fully-supported platform.  Doing so would be a "brilliant" strategy to help
battle the Borg in Redmond, potentially providing a cheaper, more stable
alternative to NT.   Still, the lack of a clear strategy and commitment
makes Linux an unacceptable "production" platform for ASE.  I would question
the judgement of anyone doing real business on any unsupported technology. .
..

Michael Loftus

Paul Mapstone wrote in message <36AF16A3.9B176B17@t-mi.com>...
>Are there any plans to release newer versions of ASE on Linux?  Will
>fixes to the current release be made available?

0
Michael
1/27/1999 3:48:40 PM

Michael Loftus wrote:

> Paul,
> I have not seen any definitive plans from Sybase to make Linux a
> fully-supported platform.  Doing so would be a "brilliant" strategy to help
> battle the Borg in Redmond, potentially providing a cheaper, more stable
> alternative to NT.   Still, the lack of a clear strategy and commitment
> makes Linux an unacceptable "production" platform for ASE.  I would question
> the judgement of anyone doing real business on any unsupported technology. .
> .
>
> Michael Loftus

Linux has never been an unsupported technology, HP has announced to ship Linux
(red hat linux) in its HP netserver. I expect from Sybase that they would bet on
Linux. As Oracle did, I admire Oracle's strategy in the market fully supporting
linux, so as Informix. Oracle and Pacific Hi-Tech 's Turbo Linux had partnered
to gear up the enterprise in Linux. Informix and S.u.s.e has partnered to add
colors on the enterprise for linux. Unfortunately I dont like Oracle and
Informix's Back end architecture ever since I became a DBA I love Sybase's back
end Architecture its minimal, now everybody  knows and loves that. And I hate
Windows NT there is no single day that I dont have to reboot the machine and see
the nice blue screen core dump. I love linux in the server area and putting a
Sybase backend on it with full support is brilliant and a big leap for Sybase
and linux. oh! not to mention DB2 is fully supported on linux but its still in
its beta stage but IBM has planned to release the production release this year.

Elton

DBA

> Paul Mapstone wrote in message <36AF16A3.9B176B17@t-mi.com>...
> >Are there any plans to release newer versions of ASE on Linux?  Will
> >fixes to the current release be made available?

0
Elton
1/29/1999 1:05:12 PM
Elton,
You have verfy effectively argued that Oracle is a good choice for a
database on Linux, and that other companies are well along on in making
Linux part of their business strategy. And I agree with much of what you
said.   I  like ASE and Linux quite a bit.   Otherwise, why would I be a
4-year Sybase DBA?  Why two Linux classes?  Why am I in this forum?

But my comments about ASE not being fully supported by Sybase like other
platforms still stands.  And since this is a forum for Sybase/Linux issues I
don't know where the confusion came from. . .  If I deploy an application
based on a Sybase/Linux platform I am, as far as I know, relying on a
product that Sybase Tech Support will not help me with when things go wrong,
and things always go wrong.  Maybe I am wrong on that, but I don't think so.

Developers who would con their customers into doing business on such a risky
mix of technology are not being responsible in my opinion.  Perhaps I take
this position because I have always supported mission-critical applications
that when unavailable cause the company's primary activities to stop.  You
know, when our warehouse guys can not use the warehouse system, and 150+
guys are standing around looking at each other, the importance of Linux
shrinks to near zero . . .   When Red Hat (and others) have their stuff
together and ASE (and other Sybase products) is FULLY supported product I
will move Linux/ASE near the head-of-the-list and dance a jig!

The message is clear: "Do not put your internal and external customers at
risk for any reason."

Michael Loftus

Elton M. Labajo wrote in message <36B1B207.D52E392B@netscape.net>...

>Michael Loftus wrote:
>
>> Paul,
>> I have not seen any definitive plans from Sybase to make Linux a
>> fully-supported platform.  Doing so would be a "brilliant" strategy to
help
>> battle the Borg in Redmond, potentially providing a cheaper, more stable
>> alternative to NT.   Still, the lack of a clear strategy and commitment
>> makes Linux an unacceptable "production" platform for ASE.  I would
question
>> the judgement of anyone doing real business on any unsupported
technology. .
>> .
>>
>> Michael Loftus
>>

>Linux has never been an unsupported technology, HP has announced to ship
Linux
>(red hat linux) in its HP netserver. I expect from Sybase that they would
bet on
>Linux. As Oracle did, I admire Oracle's strategy in the market fully
supporting
>linux, so as Informix. Oracle and Pacific Hi-Tech 's Turbo Linux had
partnered
>to gear up the enterprise in Linux. Informix and S.u.s.e has partnered to
add
>colors on the enterprise for linux. Unfortunately I dont like Oracle and
>Informix's Back end architecture ever since I became a DBA I love Sybase's
back
>end Architecture its minimal, now everybody  knows and loves that. And I
hate
>Windows NT there is no single day that I dont have to reboot the machine
and see
>the nice blue screen core dump. I love linux in the server area and putting
>Sybase backend on it with full support is brilliant and a big leap for
Sybase
>and linux. oh! not to mention DB2 is fully supported on linux but its still
in
>its beta stage but IBM has planned to release the production release this
year.

>Elton
>
>DBA
>

>> Paul Mapstone wrote in message <36AF16A3.9B176B17@t-mi.com>...
>> >Are there any plans to release newer versions of ASE on Linux?  Will
>> >fixes to the current release be made available?

0
Michael
1/29/1999 4:22:01 PM
Michael Loftus wrote:

> Elton,
> You have verfy effectively argued that Oracle is a good choice for a
> database on Linux, and that other companies are well along on in making
> Linux part of their business strategy. And I agree with much of what you
> said.   I  like ASE and Linux quite a bit.   Otherwise, why would I be a
> 4-year Sybase DBA?  Why two Linux classes?  Why am I in this forum?
>
> But my comments about ASE not being fully supported by Sybase like other
> platforms still stands.  And since this is a forum for Sybase/Linux issues I
> don't know where the confusion came from. . .  If I deploy an application
> based on a Sybase/Linux platform I am, as far as I know, relying on a
> product that Sybase Tech Support will not help me with when things go wrong,
> and things always go wrong.  Maybe I am wrong on that, but I don't think so.

I think that it's all a question of perspective.

I wouldn't put a mission critical app on linux/sybase right now because
of the support issues that you rightly raise.

However, using this platform for non-critical data can be very cost-effective,
especially if you have a support contract for your critical data platform
(for example, Sybase on Sun/Solaris, or whatever).

Michael
Michael
1/29/1999 10:08:37 PM
I read several months ago that Sybase announced they were going to
release ASE 11.9.2 for Linux.  The message said that there would be no
charge for development, but you would have to pay if you deployed.

Paul Mapstone wrote:

> Are there any plans to release newer versions of ASE on Linux?  Will
> fixes to the current release be made available?

0
Leonard

replicate ASE 11.0.3 via R.S. 11.5 to ASE 11.9.2
Has any one successfully replicated from 11.0.3 using Rep Server 11.5 to ASE 11.9.2 using ltm's? We are running on solaris 2.6 using veritas filesystem and keep getting stack traces (this shuts down the connection). I would like to know if anyone else has replicated using these versions or something similar. Thanks. kboniface@worldres.com Yes, I have done this. No specific problems. HTH, Rob -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Rob Verschoor Certified Sybase ASE 11.5 Administrator (Professional) Certified DBA/Performance...

Replication from ASE 11.92 and Rep 11.5 on AIX 4.2.1 to Linux ASE 11.92 possible?
We are trying to work this out and so far have hit a few snags. Here is the situation: Our Linux server is named tlaas_linux1 and our AIX server is ZYDVAX01. The ASE servers are named tlaas_linux1_sy and ZYDVAX01_SY respectively. from tlaas_linux1: -isql -Usa -Ppassword -SZYDVAX01_SY (works) -exec ZYDVAX01_SY.master..sp_who (works) from zydvax01: -isql -Umaintuser -Pmaintpass -Stlaas_linux1_sy (works) -isql -Usa -Ppassword -Stlaas_linux1_sy (works) -exec tlaas_linux1_sy.master..sp_who (works when logged into ZYDVAX01_SY.mzypd using isql) -stored procs in the replicate database...

SQLRemote Problem with 7.0.2-1 and 6.0.2-1 on Linux [ASE 11.9.2-3 and ASE 12.5 eval]
Hi all I got the following problems using sql-remote. on ASE 12.5 eval: I got the following RPMs installed on RedHat Linux 7.2 - Kernel 2.4.17 - glibc-2.2.4 sybase-ase-12.5-3.i386.rpm sybase-common-12.5-3.i386.rpm sybase-openclient-12.5-3.i386.rpm sybase-sqlremote-7.0.2-1.i386.rpm After the execution of ssxtract or ssremote I got an error like: ../ssxtract: /opt/sybase-12.5/SQLRemote/lib/libsstasks7_r.so: version `libdbtasks7_r.so' not found (required by ./ssxtract) The file libsstasks7_r.so exists and the path is correctly specified in /etc/ld.so.conf. There'...

Transferring database ASE 11.9.2 -> ASE 11.5
Hello, I need to transfer a database from a ASE 11.9.2 server to a ASE 11.5 server. (Servers have the same specs and run Windows NT 4.0). The database doesn't have many objects such as tables, users, Views, SP's etc. etc. It has a 400 MB device for data and 100 MB Device for the log, with standard segmentation. It's relatively small. I understand from this newsgroup that dumping on a newer release and loading on an older release is not an option. Now I figure I have to do the following: - Create a data and a log device with similar names and sizes on the ASE 11.5 se...

ASE 12 running with ASE 11.9.2 and RS 11.5
Hi, I have a customer that asks the following question: "Are there any issues running Sybase 32 and 64 bit applications on the same box? What about replication? Is it possible for us to upgrade to 12 repserver and dataserver on our central complex and continue to run 11.5 repserver/11.9.2 dataserver at remotes?" I would think that this configuration would be ok, but I thought I'd better verify it. Thanks, Pat Proft Alliance Support Pat Proft wrote: > Hi, > I have a customer that asks the following question:...

Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to ASE 11.9.2 with RepServer 11.5 and LTMs
I am preparing to upgrade our production servers (11.0.3.3) using RepServer 11.5 with LTMs. My understanding is that the ASE 11.9.2 has RepAgents build in as Open Server applications. Are there any issues with upgrading that I need to be aware of? Where would I look? I would assume that I don't need to run LTMs anymore, but I need to ensure no loss of replication to the warm standby. Any advice? Take care. JCS ASE 11.5+ has RepAgent built in as internal server threads (which has nothing to do with OpenServer). When upgrading, keep the LTM's and upgrade to RS 11.5 / ...

Download Database from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 11.0.2 ?
Dear All: We have a Sybase ASE11.9.2 on Window NT, and we already run some application on it about 6 months. Since the third party software we use cann't support ASE11.9.2, we must use ASE 11.0.2. Can we just backup the database of ASE11.9.2 then restore the backup database to ASE11.0.2 ? Has it any problem ? Or, We must do following procedure. 1) bcp out the data from ASE11.9.2 2) create the database on ASE11.0.2 3) bcp in the 1) data to ASE11.0.2 Can anyone tell me?? Teresa Young Teresa, The problem with dump and load is that the log format in 11.9.2 is much diff...

Problems in upgrading ASE 11.5 to 11.9.2
Currently, we use ASE 11.5 and then install 11.9.2 to upgrade the server. After installing all components of ASE, I can't open the databases in Sybase Central, it prompts : "Changed database context to 'master'. Invalid system table given for status update, this is an internal error" And then we tried to upgrade the server by selecting the option of server configure. In the upgrade progress, it asks whether to back up the database or not, we select Ok to continue. After a moment, it prompts: "Server "OPR" fail preupgrade eligibility tes. See ...

Upgrade of ASE from 11.5.1 to 11.9.2
We have replication running against 50 SQL Anywhere v 5.4 sites. It has been running for approx 1 1/2 years. We are upgrading our ASE (the consolidated db) from 11.5.1 to 11.9.2. Has anyone experienced any problems when upgrading the consolidated db with ongoing replication? Shouldn't be an issue. We created some tech docs on Upgrading ASE's that are involved with SQL Remote. I highly suggest you look for those to follow. You don't want to make any mistakes. Let us know if you can't find one that seems appropriate. -- David Fishburn Sybase - iAnywhere Sol...

ASE Certification 11.9.2 and 11.5.1
Hi I need to know, if 11.9.2 and 11.5.1 run over dg-ux R.4.20MU05 Thanks in advance PID Hi Pablo, looks like both 11.5 and 11.9.x are certified. Note "later MUOx OS levels are covered": DGUX R4.20MU01 11.5.x certified The patches needed are dgux.aco_R4.20MU01.p03, dgux_R4.20MU01.p72, ...

Connection between IQ 11.5 and ASE 11.9.2
Hi all, I have customer who tries from IQ 11.5 (on Windows NT4) to load datas from ASE 11.9.2 (on Unix platform) but nothing happens,no errors in the errorlog of ASE 11.9.2 or in the errorlog of IQ ...!!!From isql it works fine. It used to work before . Thank you for your help . Thomas. ...

11.9.2 -> 11.9.2.5: errors from installdbccdb and instcomm
I recently upgraded from 11.9.2 to 11.9.2.5 using EBF9620. I unzipped the downloaded upgrade file and overwrote the files in the $SYBASE tree. I then proceeded to run the upgrade scripts as directed in the cover letter (scripts located in $SYBASE\scripts). The "instmstr.sql" and "instmsgs.ebf" scripts ran just fine, but the "installdbccdb" and "instcomm" scripts produced some errors about objects not being found. The server appears to be operating just fine, but I wanted to know if I should be concerned about these errors. "ins...

Problem in Installating Monitor Server 11.9.2 on ASE 11.9.2.
Hi, I was tryint to install SQL monitor server 11.9.2 on ASE 11.9.2 on HP-UX 11.0 9000/800. It gives the following error """""""""""""""""""""""" Nov 14 12:28:18 2000: DB-Library Version: Nov 14 12:28:18 2000: Sybase DB-Library/11.1.1/P-EBF8022/hp800/HP-UX 10.01/1/OPT/Fri Jun 26 15:04:39 1998 Nov 14 12:28:18 2000: Open Server Version: Nov 14 12:28:18 2000: Sybase Server-Library/11.1.1/P-EBF8022/hp800/HP-UX 10.01/1/OPT/Fri Jun 26 13:53:53 1998 Nov 14 12:2...

convert float to char (ASE 11.9.2 , ASE 11.9.3)
declare @n float select @n = 12.001 select convert(varchar(20), @n) go isql returned -------------------- 12.000999999999999 Why? MS SQL 6.5 returns 12.001 Thanks Ivan Rubinov This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------B8833FC9B364722D034F7974 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit First, when converting from an imprecise numeric (FLOAT, REAL) you should be using the str() function, rather than convert. The floating point datatype cannot store 12.001 exactly. The convert is displaying the value that is ...

Web resources about - ASE 11.5, 11.9.2? - sybase.sqlserver.linux

Asse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Coordinates: 50°54′N 04°12′E  /  50.900°N 4.200°E  / 50.900; 4.200 Coordinates : 50°54′N 04°12′E  /  50.900°N 4.200°E  / 50.900; 4.200 ...

Facebook Runs Survey to Assess User Perceptions of Credits
This week, Facebook conducted a user survey to determine usage and perception of its virtual currency Facebook Credits. Hosted on SurveyMonkey ...

ASE Pocket Guidelines on the App Store on iTunes
Get ASE Pocket Guidelines on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

CEC14 / Assess, Test or Terminate: What Future for Climate Engineering Research? - YouTube
Climate Engineering Conference 2014 Panel discussion looking forward to the next decade of climate engineering research. Featuring Andy Parker ...

ASE IT moves into iseek’s Sydney data centre
Cloud services provider ASE IT has signed a contract with iseek Communications to move into the vendor’s data centre in Gore Hill, Sydney.

ASSÉ student group plans to ramp up spring protests
One of Quebec's largest student groups says it will put increased pressure on the Couillard government this spring, despite a recommendation ...

Beef Recall: CFIA To Assess XL Foods Alberta Plant In Detail
... on Sept. 27.The number of illnesses linked to beef products from the plant stands at 11 people from four provinces, with the latest case confirmed ...

Video: Loctite and Fallon Assess Their Super Bowl Debut - Special: Super Bowl - Advertising Age
If you haven't watched our behind-the-scenes videos with Loctite as it prepared for its first Super Bowl Bowl appearance, go see "Super Bowl ...

Now That the Core Matters for Yahoo, Here's the Charts and Numbers to Assess It
... piece about the Q3 debacle : “The honeymoon is over … 15 months after she took over, Ms. Mayer has failed to translate Yahoo’s user increase ...

Hard Drives and Hard Asses
In a thread a couple of days ago, some of y’all were parsing the ever-lovin’ shit out of Glenn Greenwald’s report on NSA surveillance of Muslim-Americans. ...