ODBC and text field retrieval

One of the developers in my dept. is trying to access an OpenServer
Application to get text data from an SQL server (the OpenServer has gateway
functionality in it).  When executing with ODBC, he gets the error "Invalid
cursor state".  If he tries to pull back varchar(255), he gets the data
back fine.

Any ideas on what needs to be done here to get back text data correctly?
Thanks,
Jim Gartner
0
garnterj
3/2/2001 3:37:37 PM
sybase.sqlserver.general 4269 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Is there a limit to amount of text retrieved by ODBC on long varchar fields in SQLA 5.5.4
We've setup an query through Excel 97 to access a SQL Anywhere 5.5.4 database through an ODBC connection. A field of type "long varchar" doesn't get all of its data returned - it is often truncated at around 250 bytes when accessed through MS Query. When pasted into Word, it is always 249 characters, so it appears to be a 250 byte limit to these fields in the ODBC driver. Reading deep down in the SQLA documentation, a mention is made that data after the first 255 bytes in long varchar types are "stored separately". Is there a way to get at the remainder of...

ASE text field to ASA text field
Hi I'm having problems populating an ASA text field with data from an ASE text field using CIS(component integration services) from ASE to link up to ASA. After running the SQL statement it appears to put NULLS in the ASA field. All other data types appear to work fine. I know you can use readtext/writetext to read/write text fields properly but it requires a size parameter. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Here is the SQL I'm trying to run; insert asa_invt_prod_note select invt_prod_id,note_type,note,fpi_rep_status_flag,created_date,created_by,up...

RE: ASA text field to ASA text field
Hi Sorry the versions I was using for the problem below were. Using ASE version 11.9.2.5 Using ASA version 6.0.3.3113 I'm trying to push data from ASE text to ASA text, I also had problems pulling an ASE text field from ASA using proxy tables. I'm having problems populating an ASA text field with data from an ASE text field using CIS(component integration services) from ASE to link up to ASA. After running the SQL statement it appears to put NULLS in the ASA field. All other data types appear to work fine. I know you can use readtext/writetext to read/write...

Format text field and field text box in datagrid
I have a column that allows the user to edit the datagrid.  When the Edit link is clicked, only one column is editable...this works.  The problems are that:1) the text box is only 75% of the width of the column2) when i type text into the text field, the size is a lot larger than the text in other non-editable columns3) the height of the text-box is too high.In summar, how can i format the editable field?I have tried doing so, in the Propery Builder>Format and changing the settings in the 'Edit Mode Items', that does not help.  I'm trying to use the XX-Small text size....

Text not appearing when typing the text into text field
Name: Maadhavan Email: madhavan_t_patyahoodotcom Product: Firefox Summary: Text not appearing when typing the text into text field Comments: Text not appearing when typing the text into text field or any other field Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.9) Gecko/2009040821 Firefox/3.0.9 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ Note to readers: Hendrix gives no expectation of a response to this feedback but if you wish to provide one you must BCC (not CC) the sender for them to see it. ...

Retrieving large text fields
After updating from PB7 to PB10.5.1, I get errors when attempting to retrieve more than 32K chars in a text field in a datawindow. How can I fix my datawindow's to be able to retrieve the entire text field? Thanks, -j ...

Error ODBC with text field...
Hello ! I am using VB6 with ODBC and a Sybase System 11 driver version 03.11.0001. I want to insert data into a text field. My query works fine if I use Sybase Sql Advantage. But when I use Vb and ODBC, I got an error depending on the size of the text : - If data size is less than 255 characters, it works fine - If data size is less than 255 characters, I get an Intersolv error in ODBC saying "implicit conversion text data type in varchar is not allowed". I tried to increase Default Buffer size for long columns in the ODBC Sybase driver setup but it does not change anyth...

PostgreSQL ODBC driver and TEXT fields
Using D2007 I am attempting to access a field of type TEXT in a PostgreSQL 8.3 database. I have set the TextAsLongVarChar option of the ODBC driver but text fields are not treated as LongVarChar. Has anyone found a solution to this problem? -- Bill Todd (TeamB) Hello Bill > are not treated as LongVarChar. Has anyone found a solution > to this problem? May be just use 3d party dbExpress or other data access components. -- With best regards, Dmitry Arefiev AnyDAC Team RemObjects Software The Infrastructure Company http://www.remobjects.com ...

ODBC Truncation issue with Text fields
Hi All, We have implemented Search Application using a leading search Engine. We retrieve and index data from ASE Database into Search Engine. We use Search vendor's ODBC Fetch which retrieves data from ASE and indexes. We are finding that Fetch is truncating data when it is retrieving data from "Text" type field. The size it is truncating is around 4k bytes. We use Sybase ASE ODBC Driver 3.70.00.20 and Open cleint version 12.5. We run Fetch on Windows 2000 machine. Fetch uses ODBC DSN to connect to ASE. We retrieve data from ASE 11.5.1.1. Is there any known trunc...

ODBC Driver 12.0
Hi! I have a problem retriving the contents of large Text fields. It never returns more than 4096 characters. Using: Linux Redhat 6.1 ASE 11.0.0.3 Winnt with ODBC driver 12.0 Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise with RDO I have tried the GetChunk function in RDO as well. I suspect the ODBC driver. When i use SQL Advantage, everything works just fine! Anyone got a clue? regards �ystein Selbekk Hello �ystein, did you check the value of @@textsize with 'select @@textsize'! If it is set to 4096 then you found the reason. You can set a new textsize with the set com...

AddParameter method for sqlServer TEXT field type
Hi,Normally I use the following method to add parameters:oDb = DatabaseFactory.CreateDatabase();oCmd = oDb.GetStoredProcCommand( "usp_someSproc" ); oDb.AddInParameter( oCmd, "@someField", DbType.String, pDesc );oDr = oDb.ExecuteReader( oCmd ); Works fine, considering that @someField is a varchar field in the DB. BUT in case @someField is a TEXT field in the DB, ifI still use oDb.AddInParameter( oCmd, "@someField", DbType.String, pDesc ); it will work for small amounts of text, but forreal long text I need a DbType.TEXT which I don´t have through the AddInParameter way ...Would someone ...

text field with prepopulated text
I have a web form, there is an address text field, for my purpose, I only need it into this one field for street address city, state, zip. I would like to have something like street address city, state, zip in the text box when page load, but when the user click the text field, it goes blank, so the user can enter their own address. How can I do this? Thanks Hi,this can be done by prefilling it in the page_load for example and then use javascript onfocus event to clear out the value of the textbox. Another way to go is to use the Textboxwatermark extender from the ASP.NET AJAX Control ...

ODBC on linux + text field + SQLGetData() = memory leak
Hello, Client: Debian Linux Potato glibc 2.1.3 kernel 2.2.14 Sybase ODBC driver kit version 11.1.1/3.11 unixODBC driver manager version 1.8.5 Server: ASE 11.9.2 on Windown NT Server 4.0, SP6a Problem: Memory leak when calling SQLGetData() on a 'text' column from the linux client. Offending code: while( SQL_SUCCESS == (iRC=SQLFetch(m_hstmt)) || SQL_SUCCESS_WITH_INFO == iRC ) char tmpbuff[MAX_COLUMN_BUFFER_SIZE]; SQLINTEGER indicator; while (SQLGetData( m_hstmt, 0, SQ...

Datawindow retrieve error when using ODBC text driver.
When using the datawindow retrieve method, I get an intermittent error loading a semicolon-delimited text file into my SQL Anywhere db. Has anyone had any problems using the Intersolve ODBC text driver (the latest couple of versions - I've installed the latest in an effort to get through the problem...)? The code is included below: //******************************************** //* Create the datawindow object from syntax * //******************************************** IF adw_dwload.CREATE(gtr_file.SyntaxFromSQL("SELECT * FROM " +& ls_fileout, "style(ty...

Web resources about - ODBC and text field retrieval - sybase.sqlserver.general

Information retrieval - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Information retrieval ( IR ) is the area of study concerned with searching for documents, for information within documents, and for metadata ...

Platform Update: Mobile Hack Day, International Payment Methods for Credits, Privacy Retrieval
Facebook has made several developer-focused announcements over the past few days, including that it has released more free tickets to its Mobile ...

Spaced Retrieval TherAppy on the App Store on iTunes
Get Spaced Retrieval TherAppy on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985) - Information Retrieval - YouTube
Sam's first day at work. Surreal, Gilliam style. Great.

Fighting frustrates MH17 body retrieval again
Australia's efforts to retrieve remains from the MH17 site have been frustrated for the fourth day in a row.

China's retrieval of lost relics needs time
China's retrieval of lost relics needs time People's Daily Online ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31. Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, ...

ICE iPhone seizure shows extent of government's data retrieval abilities
Smartphones such as Apple's iPhone have turned into indispensable aspects in their users' lives, but a recently discovered court document demonstrates ...

ETC: Olympics to use Mini Cooper R/C cars for javelin, discus retrieval
Filed under: Etc. , Marketing/Advertising , Hatchback , Mini , UK , Humor , Specialty We can't help but cringe at the notion of 'product integration' ...

Tarpon Springs High junior makes a quick retrieval in Epiphany cross dive
Vassilios Harding, a 16-year-old junior at Tarpon Springs High School, emerged as the winner of the traditional Epiphany Celebration coss dive ...

BBC News - Lost voicemail of dead wife: Husband says retrieval 'wonderful'
A man who thought he had lost a voicemail recording of his dead wife's voice he had kept for more than 10 years has described the moment the ...