CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library

Hi everyone

I'm using ASE 11.5.1, and I often getting the following message on the
client log file

"CT-LIBRARY error:  ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library
error: Read from the server has timed out."

According to client developer, above problem is caused by network problem.
However I don't think that.

I tried to fix this problem as much as I can, but still occured.

Anyone helps would be grateful.

Thanks. DHL

0
Dong
10/14/2000 2:41:07 AM
sybase.sqlserver.general 4269 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Try increasing the retry_attempts and delay_interval parameters in the
interfaces file.

Make sure the IP address or host name is correct in the SQL.INI file.

Can you ping the server through the DSEDIT utility?

--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
Jim
10/14/2000 6:32:21 PM
Thanks a lot for your help.

Which machine do I increase the retry_attempts and delay_interval
parameters? Client or Server?
interfaces file exists in the ASE on the unix, but there is no interfaces
file on the Windows NT.

Sure, ping is OK through the DSEDIT.

Dong-Hyun

"Jim Egan" <dbaguru@eganomics.com> wrote in message
> Try increasing the retry_attempts and delay_interval parameters in the
> interfaces file.
>
> Make sure the IP address or host name is correct in the SQL.INI file.
>
> Can you ping the server through the DSEDIT utility?
>
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
> Houston, TX
> http://www.eganomics.com
>
> Sybase Developers Network
> http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm

0
Dong
10/15/2000 11:35:47 PM
See if this helps.  The example looks different from my NT setup which
uses brackets around the server name.  The change in retry_attempts
should be made on the client side
How SQL Server Communicates with Clients

When client (front-end) software, or a server acting as a client by
executing remote procedure calls (RPCs), needs to communicate
with SQL Server, it performs the following steps:

1. It determines the name of the SQL Server, usually from the value
of the environment variable, DSQUERY, or from the value given
through a command-line option.

2. It looks for an entry in the interfaces file that has a SQL Server
name matching the value of DSQUERY or of the command line
option.

3. It connects to the SQL Server running on the combination of the
machine and port listed for that entry. If the client is unable to
connect the first time, it makes additional attempts according to
the delay and retry numbers in the interfaces file. (If no matching
entry is found, an error message is written to the client's
standard error file.)

The client can connect to any server correctly listed in the interfaces
file as long as the matching server name is supplied via DSQUERY or
a command line option. If no server name is supplied, the software
looks for an interfaces file entry with the default server name,
SYBASE. Use this feature if you always connect to a single SQL
Server named SYBASE.

Sample interface file and its format, taken from System AAdministration
Guide Supplement for IBM RISC System/6000 AIX:

#
TEST
query tcp ibm-ether gummo 2025
master tcp ibm-ether gummo 2025
#
PRACTICE
query tcp ibm-ether chico 4067
master tcp ibm-ether chico 4067
#
PRODUCTION
query tcp ibm-ether groucho 5789
master tcp ibm-ether groucho 5789

Each interfaces file
entry has the following format:

# put comments here<newline>
<tab>service_type protocol network machine port<newline>
<blank lines or comments between entries for different SQL
Servers>

SERVERNAME

SERVERNAME is the name of the SQL Server or Backup Server.
Server names can be no more than 31 characters long. The initial
character of a server name must be a letter (ASCII a-z, A-Z). The
characters that follow must be letters, numbers, or underscores (_).

retry_attempts and delay_interval

retry_attempts and delay_interval are optional values that determine
how many times, and how often, a client tries to connect to SQL
Server after an initial failure to connect.
Clients attempt to connect to SQL Server using each query line in the
interfaces entry. If the client has unsuccessfully tried to establish a
connection to the SQL Server, it checks the retry_attempts and
delay_interval values in the interfaces file. The retry_attempts value
specifies how many times the client attempts a connection after an
initial failure to connect. The delay_interval specifies how many
seconds to wait between retries.

When you install SQL Server, sybinit prompts you for the delay
interval and the number of retry attempts for that SQL Server. You
can use sybinit to change these values at a later date. You can also
manually edit your interfaces file using a text editor such as vi or
emacs if you are an expert user. If you manually edit the interfaces
file,
you must insert tabs or spaces between the values.

service_type

service_type describes the type of service the entry defines. The values
associated with service_type are: "query," "master," "console,"
"commit," and "debug."

- A line beginning with ``query'' represents the service that a client,
such as Data Workbench[, uses to log into SQL Server. The
``query'' entry in an interfaces file corresponds to the DSQUERY
environment variable described earlier.

- A line beginning with ``master'' defines the service SQL Server
uses to listen to login requests from clients. This entry
corresponds to the value of the DSLISTEN environment variable.
This line is not necessary in an interfaces file for a machine
running clients only.

- A line beginning with the word "debug" represents a connection
for use by Sybase Technical Support.

protocol

protocol is the name of the network protocol. Available protocols for
RISC System/6000 AIX are TCP/IP and IPX/SPX. They are
represented in the interfaces file entry by the letters "tcp" (for
TCP/IP) or "tli" (for IPX/SPX).

network

network is the name of the network. Although SQL Server does not
currently use this column, sybinit enters a network name as a place
holder when creating interfaces file entries. For RISC System/6000
AIX sybinit enters "IBM-ether" as the network name.

machine

machine is the network name of the machine on which SQL Server is
running. You can use either the host name or internet address as the
machine name.
To determine the host name of a machine, log in on that machine and
use the following command:

/bin/hostname

The first 32 bytes of the machine name must be unique on the
network; SYBASE software reads a maximum of 32 bytes for a
machine name in an interfaces file entry.

port

port is a port number between 1025 and 65535. The combination of a
machine name and port number uniquely identifies a SQL Server.
The port number selected for your SQL Server must not be used for
any other purpose on the machine where SQL Server is located.
More than one SQL Server can have the same port number if each
server is on a different machine. Check the /etc/services file on each
machine on the network to see a list of port numbers in use.

--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX
http://www.eganomics.com

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
Jim
10/16/2000 2:19:35 AM
Hi, Jim

Thanks a lot for your considering.

I set up the retry_attempts and delay_interval in the sql.ini of client
SYBASE.
The following comment is sql.ini file.

;; Sybase Interfaces file
;;
;; [<database_server_name>]
;; <link_type>=<network_driver>,<connection_info>
;;
;; Examples:
;; [JUPITER]
;; QUERY=NLMSNMP,\\JUPITER\pipe\sybase\query
;; WIN3_QUERY=WNLNMP,\\JUPITER\pipe\sybase\query
;;

[IMS0]
master=TCP,192.168.111.200,9000
query=TCP,192.168.111.200,9000

IMS0 3 5
 query tcp   IMS0 9000

Could you check if this setting is correct?

Many thanks, Dong-Hyun

> [...]
> machine name.
> To determine the host name of a machine, log in on that machine and
> use the following command:
>
> /bin/hostname
>
> The first 32 bytes of the machine name must be unique on the
> network; SYBASE software reads a maximum of 32 bytes for a
> machine name in an interfaces file entry.
>
> port
>
> port is a port number between 1025 and 65535. The combination of a
> machine name and port number uniquely identifies a SQL Server.
> The port number selected for your SQL Server must not be used for
> any other purpose on the machine where SQL Server is located.
> More than one SQL Server can have the same port number if each
> server is on a different machine. Check the /etc/services file on each
> machine on the network to see a list of port numbers in use.

10/21/2000 2:04:23 AM
I emailed you also, but I'll post here too just in case someone else can
offer help.

I've never had to specify any of those parameters so I don't know what it
should look like.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX
http://www.eganomics.com

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
Jim

CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out.
Hi everyone I'm using ASE 11.5.1, and I often getting the following message on the client log file "CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out." According to client developer, above problem is caused by network problem. However I don't think that. I tried to fix this problem as much as I can, but still occured. Anyone helps would be grateful. Thanks. DHL ...

CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out.
Hi all, I'm using ASE 11.9.2, and I often getting this timeout message(CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out.) when I try to log on using isql or sybase central. We are testing with a lot of users and connect to a lot of remote databases using CIS. I can't even log on to shutdown the server. When I issue an netstat -a | grep port number that sybase listening, I get a report like this. datanet1.10032 datanet1.47437 32768 0 32768 0 CLOSE_WAIT datanet1.10032 datanet1.47...

ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out.
We are experiencing intermittent, unexplained errors with the following text: "ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out." There are absolutely no errors in the error log when these errors occur. Our server is accessible immediately before and after, but the various components cannot connect when these split-second errors occur. Here is our current version info: Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.0.0.1/P/SWR 9264 ESD 3/Sun_svr4/OS 5.6/1629/32bit0 Fingers are pointing at me and the database ("Hey, I can't connec...

Why does a simple select query in Microsoft Access return the error [Intersolv][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]ct_results(): user api layer: internal client library error: Read from the server has
I have applied the information from support document 10447954 but that does not solve the problem. I am running a simple select query with one criteria from one table. Thanks. ...

Why does a simple select query in MS Access return the error: [Intersolv][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]ct_results(): user api layer: internal client library error: Read from the server has timed
I have applied the information contained in support document 10447954. That did not resolve the problem. I am running a simple query with one criteria and one table Thanks. Hi Bill, The doc refers to a different ODBC driver (for DirectConnect product) so you might have a completely different problem. The message implies you are using ODBC 12.0 (Client Library based) or prior since the message indicates CtLib info. You might want to post more details involved with getting to this error. You also might want to post exact versions of ASE and ODBC driver, including Open ...

Why?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C57265.CDDC7E10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable When I execute the UPDATE command appears the following error ct_fetch(): user api layer: internal common library error: The bind of result set item 2 resulted in truncation. VERSION Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.3/EBF 12331 ESD#1/P/Sun_svr4/OS = 5.8/ase1253/1900/64-bit/FBO/Tue Jan 25 08:52:58 2005=20 Thanks. Romulo Igor RGS / BRASIL GOODCARD.com.br ------=_NextPart_000_0...

HELP!! CT-LIBRARY error: CT-LIBRARY error:
Hi, I am running ase-11.9.2 on RH6.1. I have installed the rpms and run the srvbuild program and set up the database etc etc. But when I try to use isql, it says: CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): directory service layer: internal directory control layer error: Requested server name not found. What is causing this? I have: -Run sybase: /etc/rc.d/init.d/sybase start -Looked in ps x and seen sybase dataserver running with area51 as the hostname -editied /etc/hosts as per posts on this list: 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost area51 n.n.n.31 area51....

ct_fetch(): user api layer: internal common library error: The bind of result set item 2 resulted in an overflow
Hi, I have a SQLCA connection object to a ASE 12.0 Server. The following SELECT results in an error: ct_fetch(): user api layer: internal common library error: The bind of result set item 2 resulted in an overflow The same SELECT in SQL Advantage works perfect. sz_uses_zontalk_1 = "" sz_uses_zontalk_2 = "" ls_TerminalId = sz_terminal_id SELECT ISNULL(dba.tab_terminal.uses_zontalk_1,''), ISNULL(dba.tab_terminal.uses_zontalk_2,'') INTO :sz_uses_zontalk_1, :sz_uses_zontalk_2 FROM dba.tab_terminal WHERE dba.tab_ter...

BCP error: cs_convert: cslib user api layer: common library error
On AIX, I am trying to BCP into a Sybase 11.5 server, data that was unloaded using BCP on Sybase 10 server and get the following msg: CSLIB Message: - L0/O0/S0/N24/1/0: cs_convert: cslib user api layer: common library error: The conversion/operation was stopped due to a syntax error in the source field. Can anyone help me with this problem? I read somewhere in this newsgroup that EBF 8060 will fix this problem. Has anyone tried out this EBF? Will it work for Sybase on AIX? Thanks I. Kassam Hi, I'm answering this post for the sake of the archive. Most likely t...

ERROR: ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error: No driver of the requested protocol class is available
Hello! I get the error: ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error: No driver of the requested protocol class is available The client Sybase software we're using is (isql -v) 11.1.1: Sybase CTISQL Utility/11.1.1/P-EBF8058/sun_svr4/SPARC Solaris 2.5.1/1/OPT/Sat Aug 8 02:14:24 1998 The server database is Sybase 11.3.3 Anyone got a clue why I get that error? Thanks, Henrik Henrik Wallentin wrote: > I get the error: > ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error: No driver of > the requested protocol class is av...

ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error
My problem started after the IP address of the sybase database server was changed. At the time I was connected to the database but once the change was made I lost connection to the server. I recycled my machine and attempted to reconnect after modifying the sql.ini file located in the sybase directory on my PC. I tried connecting via SQL Advantage and also using the command line isql mode but connection to the server was not successful. The error message I receive follows: Client Message: Layer 5, Origin 3, Severity 5, Number 4 ct_connect(): network packet layer: intern...

bcp in help : cs_convert: cslib user api layer: common library error:
can some one give a work around for this bcp data file. I'm having problem to import/bcp in to the table due to some bad data I guess. Thanx C:\>bcp prod1..table1 in d:\et\input.txt -c -t"," -Usa -P -S<server> Starting copy... CSLIB Message: - L0/O0/S0/N36/1/0: cs_convert: cslib user api layer: common library error: The result is truncated because the conversion/operation resulted in overflow. 1000 rows sent to SQL Server. 2000 rows sent to SQL Server. CSLIB Message: - L0/O0/S0/N36/1/0: cs_convert: cslib user api layer: common library error: The result is ...

internal Client Library error: memory allocation failure error
Hi we are selecting some data into temp table say #MyTable and using cursor to process that data from #MyTable in C programme .Ideally we should be able to run multiple instances of that C programme as search criteria for selecting into temp table is diff all the time. but after runnig four instances for fifth instance its giving following error. Other four instances are runnig fine. ERROR: SQL Error :ct_fetch(): protocol specific layer: internal Client Library error: memory allocation failure. SQL Error :ct_cursor(): user api layer: external error: This routine cannot be ...

Web resources about - CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library - sybase.sqlserver.general