Convert function failing under ASE 12.0

ASE 12.0 (with one-off 9400):
C:\Sybase\sample\ctlib>isql -U sa -P ##### -S ASE12_0SERVER
1> use ase12db
2> go
1> cnv_chardate_to_int '08/05/1998', 101, 0
2> go
Msg 249, Level 16, State 1:
Procedure 'cnv_chardate_to_int', Line 46:
Syntax error during explicit conversion of CHAR value '08/05/1998 ' to a
DATETIME field.
(return status = -6)
1> quit

ASE 11.5.1
C:\Sybase\sample\ctlib>isql -U sa -P ##### -S ASE11_5_SERVER
1> use ase1151db
2> go
1> cnv_chardate_to_int '08/05/1998', 101, 0
2> go
l_date_int l_date_char
----------- -----------
19980805 08/05/1998
(1 row affected)
(return status = 0)
1> quit

/***************************************************************************
*/
/* 2.0  Create the procedure.
*/
/***************************************************************************
*/
CREATE PROC     cnv_chardate_to_int
      (@p_datechar     char(12),  /* character string to convert */
       @p_date_fmt     tinyint,   /* sybase date format */
       @p_src_code     tinyint)   /* source of call, 0 = client;
                                                     1 = server */
AS
DECLARE @v_retval    int,
        @v_rstat      int,
        @v_error     int,
        @v_date_int  int,
        @v_date_char varchar(16),
        @v_date_char_101 char(10),
        @msg char(80),
        @v_date_dtime datetime

SELECT @v_retval = 0, @v_rstat = 0, @v_error = 0

/* SELECT @msg = 'IN STP, @p_datechar=' + @p_datechar + ' @p_date_fmt=' +
       CONVERT (char(4), @p_date_fmt)

       PRINT @msg  */

/* */
/*  Character string is null */
/* */
IF ((@p_datechar = '')
    OR (@p_datechar IS NULL) OR (SUBSTRING (@p_datechar,1,6) = '  /  /')
     OR (SUBSTRING (@p_datechar,1,6) = '  .  .'))
  BEGIN
    SELECT @v_retval = 3
    GOTO abend
  END
/* */
/*  Character string is not null */
/* */
ELSE
  BEGIN


  /*  Convert character to datetime  */
    SELECT @v_retval = 1
    SELECT @v_date_dtime = CONVERT(datetime, @p_datechar, @p_date_fmt)
    SELECT @v_error = @@error
    IF (@v_error = 0)
    BEGIN
    SELECT @v_retval = 0
/*      Convert datetime to format of YYYYMMDD, to correspond to Shaw's */
/*      Internal date format */
      SELECT @v_date_char = CONVERT(char(08), @v_date_dtime, 112)
      SELECT @v_error = @@error
/*      Convert datetime to format of MM/DD/YYYY, to use in building */
/*      WHERE clause that is consistent  */
      IF (@v_error = 0)
      BEGIN
        SELECT @v_date_char_101 = CONVERT(char(10), @v_date_dtime, 101)
        SELECT @v_error = @@error
      END
/*  Convert Char to int  */
      IF (@v_error = 0)
      BEGIN
        SELECT @v_date_int  = CONVERT(int, @v_date_char)
        SELECT @v_error = @@error
        IF (@v_error != 0)
        BEGIN
          SELECT @v_rstat = 2, @v_retval = 2
          GOTO abend
        END
      END
      ELSE
      BEGIN
        SELECT @v_rstat = 1, @v_retval = 2
        GOTO abend
      END
    END
    ELSE
    BEGIN
        SELECT @v_retval = 2
        GOTO abend
    END
  END

/* SELECT @msg = 'AFTER cnv_datetime_to_int, @v_date_dtime='
       + CONVERT(char(12),@v_date_dtime)
       + ' @v_date_int=' + CONVERT(char(10), @v_date_int)
       + ' @v_rstat=' + CONVERT(char(5), @v_rstat)
       PRINT @msg */

/* Return results */
      IF (@v_rstat = 0)
      BEGIN
        SELECT l_date_int = @v_date_int, l_date_char = @v_date_char_101
      END
      ELSE
      BEGIN
        SELECT @v_retval = 7097
        GOTO abend
      END

RETURN

abend:

SELECT l_date_int = 0
RETURN  @v_retval


/* ### DEFNCOPY: END OF DEFINITION */




0
Cliff
12/14/2000 4:19:40 PM
sybase.sqlserver.general 4269 articles. 0 followers. Follow

5 Replies
312 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 22

Sounds like this could be CR  223476.  "Error 281 or 249 when executing SP
containing convert, after load database".

If you drop and recreate the procedure, does it work properly?  If so, this is
the bug in question.

The problem is that the convert() function is expecting an INT for the style,
and, due to the bug,
ASE fails to convert the tinyint properly to an INT following a dump/load
sequence

You can work around this by changing the procedure code to use an INT for the
p_date_fmt
parameter.

The bugfix is committed to the 12.0.0.2 ESD #1 release, which is currently
scheduled for early January 2001.


-bret


Cliff Youse wrote:

> ASE 12.0 (with one-off 9400):
> C:\Sybase\sample\ctlib>isql -U sa -P ##### -S ASE12_0SERVER
> 1> use ase12db
> 2> go
> 1> cnv_chardate_to_int '08/05/1998', 101, 0
> 2> go
> Msg 249, Level 16, State 1:
> Procedure 'cnv_chardate_to_int', Line 46:
> Syntax error during explicit conversion of CHAR value '08/05/1998 ' to a
> DATETIME field.
> (return status = -6)
> 1> quit
>
> ASE 11.5.1
> C:\Sybase\sample\ctlib>isql -U sa -P ##### -S ASE11_5_SERVER
> 1> use ase1151db
> 2> go
> 1> cnv_chardate_to_int '08/05/1998', 101, 0
> 2> go
> l_date_int l_date_char
> ----------- -----------
> 19980805 08/05/1998
> (1 row affected)
> (return status = 0)
> 1> quit
>
> /***************************************************************************
> */
> /* 2.0  Create the procedure.
> */
> /***************************************************************************
> */
> CREATE PROC     cnv_chardate_to_int
>       (@p_datechar     char(12),  /* character string to convert */
>        @p_date_fmt     tinyint,   /* sybase date format */
>        @p_src_code     tinyint)   /* source of call, 0 = client;
>                                                      1 = server */
> AS
> DECLARE @v_retval    int,
>         @v_rstat      int,
>         @v_error     int,
>         @v_date_int  int,
>         @v_date_char varchar(16),
>         @v_date_char_101 char(10),
>         @msg char(80),
>         @v_date_dtime datetime
>
> SELECT @v_retval = 0, @v_rstat = 0, @v_error = 0
>
> /* SELECT @msg = 'IN STP, @p_datechar=' + @p_datechar + ' @p_date_fmt=' +
>        CONVERT (char(4), @p_date_fmt)
>
>        PRINT @msg  */
>
> /* */
> /*  Character string is null */
> /* */
> IF ((@p_datechar = '')
>     OR (@p_datechar IS NULL) OR (SUBSTRING (@p_datechar,1,6) = '  /  /')
>      OR (SUBSTRING (@p_datechar,1,6) = '  .  .'))
>   BEGIN
>     SELECT @v_retval = 3
>     GOTO abend
>   END
> /* */
> /*  Character string is not null */
> /* */
> ELSE
>   BEGIN
>
>   /*  Convert character to datetime  */
>     SELECT @v_retval = 1
>     SELECT @v_date_dtime = CONVERT(datetime, @p_datechar, @p_date_fmt)
>     SELECT @v_error = @@error
>     IF (@v_error = 0)
>     BEGIN
>     SELECT @v_retval = 0
> /*      Convert datetime to format of YYYYMMDD, to correspond to Shaw's */
> /*      Internal date format */
>       SELECT @v_date_char = CONVERT(char(08), @v_date_dtime, 112)
>       SELECT @v_error = @@error
> /*      Convert datetime to format of MM/DD/YYYY, to use in building */
> /*      WHERE clause that is consistent  */
>       IF (@v_error = 0)
>       BEGIN
>         SELECT @v_date_char_101 = CONVERT(char(10), @v_date_dtime, 101)
>         SELECT @v_error = @@error
>       END
> /*  Convert Char to int  */
>       IF (@v_error = 0)
>       BEGIN
>         SELECT @v_date_int  = CONVERT(int, @v_date_char)
>         SELECT @v_error = @@error
>         IF (@v_error != 0)
>         BEGIN
>           SELECT @v_rstat = 2, @v_retval = 2
>           GOTO abend
>         END
>       END
>       ELSE
>       BEGIN
>         SELECT @v_rstat = 1, @v_retval = 2
>         GOTO abend
>       END
>     END
>     ELSE
>     BEGIN
>         SELECT @v_retval = 2
>         GOTO abend
>     END
>   END
>
> /* SELECT @msg = 'AFTER cnv_datetime_to_int, @v_date_dtime='
>        + CONVERT(char(12),@v_date_dtime)
>        + ' @v_date_int=' + CONVERT(char(10), @v_date_int)
>        + ' @v_rstat=' + CONVERT(char(5), @v_rstat)
>        PRINT @msg */
>
> /* Return results */
>       IF (@v_rstat = 0)
>       BEGIN
>         SELECT l_date_int = @v_date_int, l_date_char = @v_date_char_101
>       END
>       ELSE
>       BEGIN
>         SELECT @v_retval = 7097
>         GOTO abend
>       END
>
> RETURN
>
> abend:
>
> SELECT l_date_int = 0
> RETURN  @v_retval
>
> /* ### DEFNCOPY: END OF DEFINITION */

0
Bret
12/14/2000 6:10:13 PM
Bret,

We are getting the error from one-off 9400 which
is supposed to be a pre-release of the fix for CR  223476
pending in 12.0.0.2 ESD #1. The work around is no good.
We have over 200 stored procedures that do this along with
the DBLIB code that goes with many of them. It would be a
significant project to change all that code, test it all and deploy
it to our clients. We had the same problem in ASE 11.5.x with
CR 167180 a couple of years ago. The problem was fixed in
ASE 11.5.1. At that time we were assured that the fix would
be incorpoated into the rolling code line. I also recall having
a go around in the news groups about this. Some people
seemed to think I was whining because I refused to be forced
into a 6 month development project to change code that has
worked fine in Sybase for 10 years just because Sybase screwed
up again. As a long time Sybase customer what I would like to
see, is some stability in the product. I am tired of fighting these
idiotic battles.

At any rate if one-off 9400 does not work than it is entirely possible
that 12.0.0.2 ESD #1 will not work either. Perhaps engineering should
check it out.

-Cliff Youse

"Bret Halford" <bret@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3A390D05.9C27C218@sybase.com...
> Sounds like this could be CR  223476.  "Error 281 or 249 when executing SP
> containing convert, after load database".
>
> If you drop and recreate the procedure, does it work properly?  If so,
this is
> the bug in question.
>
> The problem is that the convert() function is expecting an INT for the
style,
> and, due to the bug,
> ASE fails to convert the tinyint properly to an INT following a dump/load
> sequence
>
> You can work around this by changing the procedure code to use an INT for
the
> p_date_fmt
> parameter.
>
> The bugfix is committed to the 12.0.0.2 ESD #1 release, which is currently
> scheduled for early January 2001.
>
>
> -bret
>
>
> Cliff Youse wrote:
>
> > ASE 12.0 (with one-off 9400):
> > C:\Sybase\sample\ctlib>isql -U sa -P ##### -S ASE12_0SERVER
> > 1> use ase12db
> > 2> go
> > 1> cnv_chardate_to_int '08/05/1998', 101, 0
> > 2> go
> > Msg 249, Level 16, State 1:
> > Procedure 'cnv_chardate_to_int', Line 46:
> > Syntax error during explicit conversion of CHAR value '08/05/1998 ' to a
> > DATETIME field.
> > (return status = -6)
> > 1> quit
> >
> > ASE 11.5.1
> > C:\Sybase\sample\ctlib>isql -U sa -P ##### -S ASE11_5_SERVER
> > 1> use ase1151db
> > 2> go
> > 1> cnv_chardate_to_int '08/05/1998', 101, 0
> > 2> go
> > l_date_int l_date_char
> > ----------- -----------
> > 19980805 08/05/1998
> > (1 row affected)
> > (return status = 0)
> > 1> quit
> >
> >
/***************************************************************************
> > */
> > /* 2.0  Create the procedure.
> > */
> >
/***************************************************************************
> > */
> > CREATE PROC     cnv_chardate_to_int
> >       (@p_datechar     char(12),  /* character string to convert */
> >        @p_date_fmt     tinyint,   /* sybase date format */
> >        @p_src_code     tinyint)   /* source of call, 0 = client;
> >                                                      1 = server */
> > AS
> > DECLARE @v_retval    int,
> >         @v_rstat      int,
> >         @v_error     int,
> >         @v_date_int  int,
> >         @v_date_char varchar(16),
> >         @v_date_char_101 char(10),
> >         @msg char(80),
> >         @v_date_dtime datetime
> >
> > SELECT @v_retval = 0, @v_rstat = 0, @v_error = 0
> >
> > /* SELECT @msg = 'IN STP, @p_datechar=' + @p_datechar + ' @p_date_fmt='
+
> >        CONVERT (char(4), @p_date_fmt)
> >
> >        PRINT @msg  */
> >
> > /* */
> > /*  Character string is null */
> > /* */
> > IF ((@p_datechar = '')
> >     OR (@p_datechar IS NULL) OR (SUBSTRING (@p_datechar,1,6) = '  /  /')
> >      OR (SUBSTRING (@p_datechar,1,6) = '  .  .'))
> >   BEGIN
> >     SELECT @v_retval = 3
> >     GOTO abend
> >   END
> > /* */
> > /*  Character string is not null */
> > /* */
> > ELSE
> >   BEGIN
> >
> >   /*  Convert character to datetime  */
> >     SELECT @v_retval = 1
> >     SELECT @v_date_dtime = CONVERT(datetime, @p_datechar, @p_date_fmt)
> >     SELECT @v_error = @@error
> >     IF (@v_error = 0)
> >     BEGIN
> >     SELECT @v_retval = 0
> > /*      Convert datetime to format of YYYYMMDD, to correspond to Shaw's
*/
> > /*      Internal date format */
> >       SELECT @v_date_char = CONVERT(char(08), @v_date_dtime, 112)
> >       SELECT @v_error = @@error
> > /*      Convert datetime to format of MM/DD/YYYY, to use in building */
> > /*      WHERE clause that is consistent  */
> >       IF (@v_error = 0)
> >       BEGIN
> >         SELECT @v_date_char_101 = CONVERT(char(10), @v_date_dtime, 101)
> >         SELECT @v_error = @@error
> >       END
> > /*  Convert Char to int  */
> >       IF (@v_error = 0)
> >       BEGIN
> >         SELECT @v_date_int  = CONVERT(int, @v_date_char)
> >         SELECT @v_error = @@error
> >         IF (@v_error != 0)
> >         BEGIN
> >           SELECT @v_rstat = 2, @v_retval = 2
> >           GOTO abend
> >         END
> >       END
> >       ELSE
> >       BEGIN
> >         SELECT @v_rstat = 1, @v_retval = 2
> >         GOTO abend
> >       END
> >     END
> >     ELSE
> >     BEGIN
> >         SELECT @v_retval = 2
> >         GOTO abend
> >     END
> >   END
> >
> > /* SELECT @msg = 'AFTER cnv_datetime_to_int, @v_date_dtime='
> >        + CONVERT(char(12),@v_date_dtime)
> >        + ' @v_date_int=' + CONVERT(char(10), @v_date_int)
> >        + ' @v_rstat=' + CONVERT(char(5), @v_rstat)
> >        PRINT @msg */
> >
> > /* Return results */
> >       IF (@v_rstat = 0)
> >       BEGIN
> >         SELECT l_date_int = @v_date_int, l_date_char = @v_date_char_101
> >       END
> >       ELSE
> >       BEGIN
> >         SELECT @v_retval = 7097
> >         GOTO abend
> >       END
> >
> > RETURN
> >
> > abend:
> >
> > SELECT l_date_int = 0
> > RETURN  @v_retval
> >
> > /* ### DEFNCOPY: END OF DEFINITION */
>


0
Cliff
12/14/2000 7:32:26 PM
Hi Cliff,

After applying the 1-off, did you drop and recreate the procedure
(necessary as the procedure's plan was messed up by the bug),
and then saw the problem after the database went through a dump/load
cycle again?

This isn't exactly the same bug as 167180, thought there are certainly
strong similarities.  As I recall, under 167180, any convert() call, even adhoc,
passing
a tinyint variable in as the style parameter would fail.  We fixed that so that
automatic conversion would be done.  Under 223476, the problem only
occurs in stored procedures when they are renormalized following a load
database

-bret.




Cliff Youse wrote:

> Bret,
>
> We are getting the error from one-off 9400 which
> is supposed to be a pre-release of the fix for CR  223476
> pending in 12.0.0.2 ESD #1. The work around is no good.
> We have over 200 stored procedures that do this along with
> the DBLIB code that goes with many of them. It would be a
> significant project to change all that code, test it all and deploy
> it to our clients. We had the same problem in ASE 11.5.x with
> CR 167180 a couple of years ago. The problem was fixed in
> ASE 11.5.1. At that time we were assured that the fix would
> be incorpoated into the rolling code line. I also recall having
> a go around in the news groups about this. Some people
> seemed to think I was whining because I refused to be forced
> into a 6 month development project to change code that has
> worked fine in Sybase for 10 years just because Sybase screwed
> up again. As a long time Sybase customer what I would like to
> see, is some stability in the product. I am tired of fighting these
> idiotic battles.
>
> At any rate if one-off 9400 does not work than it is entirely possible
> that 12.0.0.2 ESD #1 will not work either. Perhaps engineering should
> check it out.
>
> -Cliff Youse
>
> "Bret Halford" <bret@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:3A390D05.9C27C218@sybase.com...
> > Sounds like this could be CR  223476.  "Error 281 or 249 when executing SP
> > containing convert, after load database".
> >
> > If you drop and recreate the procedure, does it work properly?  If so,
> this is
> > the bug in question.
> >
> > The problem is that the convert() function is expecting an INT for the
> style,
> > and, due to the bug,
> > ASE fails to convert the tinyint properly to an INT following a dump/load
> > sequence
> >
> > You can work around this by changing the procedure code to use an INT for
> the
> > p_date_fmt
> > parameter.
> >
> > The bugfix is committed to the 12.0.0.2 ESD #1 release, which is currently
> > scheduled for early January 2001.
> >
> >
> > -bret
> >
> >
> > Cliff Youse wrote:
> >
> > > ASE 12.0 (with one-off 9400):
> > > C:\Sybase\sample\ctlib>isql -U sa -P ##### -S ASE12_0SERVER
> > > 1> use ase12db
> > > 2> go
> > > 1> cnv_chardate_to_int '08/05/1998', 101, 0
> > > 2> go
> > > Msg 249, Level 16, State 1:
> > > Procedure 'cnv_chardate_to_int', Line 46:
> > > Syntax error during explicit conversion of CHAR value '08/05/1998 ' to a
> > > DATETIME field.
> > > (return status = -6)
> > > 1> quit
> > >
> > > ASE 11.5.1
> > > C:\Sybase\sample\ctlib>isql -U sa -P ##### -S ASE11_5_SERVER
> > > 1> use ase1151db
> > > 2> go
> > > 1> cnv_chardate_to_int '08/05/1998', 101, 0
> > > 2> go
> > > l_date_int l_date_char
> > > ----------- -----------
> > > 19980805 08/05/1998
> > > (1 row affected)
> > > (return status = 0)
> > > 1> quit
> > >
> > >
> /***************************************************************************
> > > */
> > > /* 2.0  Create the procedure.
> > > */
> > >
> /***************************************************************************
> > > */
> > > CREATE PROC     cnv_chardate_to_int
> > >       (@p_datechar     char(12),  /* character string to convert */
> > >        @p_date_fmt     tinyint,   /* sybase date format */
> > >        @p_src_code     tinyint)   /* source of call, 0 = client;
> > >                                                      1 = server */
> > > AS
> > > DECLARE @v_retval    int,
> > >         @v_rstat      int,
> > >         @v_error     int,
> > >         @v_date_int  int,
> > >         @v_date_char varchar(16),
> > >         @v_date_char_101 char(10),
> > >         @msg char(80),
> > >         @v_date_dtime datetime
> > >
> > > SELECT @v_retval = 0, @v_rstat = 0, @v_error = 0
> > >
> > > /* SELECT @msg = 'IN STP, @p_datechar=' + @p_datechar + ' @p_date_fmt='
> +
> > >        CONVERT (char(4), @p_date_fmt)
> > >
> > >        PRINT @msg  */
> > >
> > > /* */
> > > /*  Character string is null */
> > > /* */
> > > IF ((@p_datechar = '')
> > >     OR (@p_datechar IS NULL) OR (SUBSTRING (@p_datechar,1,6) = '  /  /')
> > >      OR (SUBSTRING (@p_datechar,1,6) = '  .  .'))
> > >   BEGIN
> > >     SELECT @v_retval = 3
> > >     GOTO abend
> > >   END
> > > /* */
> > > /*  Character string is not null */
> > > /* */
> > > ELSE
> > >   BEGIN
> > >
> > >   /*  Convert character to datetime  */
> > >     SELECT @v_retval = 1
> > >     SELECT @v_date_dtime = CONVERT(datetime, @p_datechar, @p_date_fmt)
> > >     SELECT @v_error = @@error
> > >     IF (@v_error = 0)
> > >     BEGIN
> > >     SELECT @v_retval = 0
> > > /*      Convert datetime to format of YYYYMMDD, to correspond to Shaw's
> */
> > > /*      Internal date format */
> > >       SELECT @v_date_char = CONVERT(char(08), @v_date_dtime, 112)
> > >       SELECT @v_error = @@error
> > > /*      Convert datetime to format of MM/DD/YYYY, to use in building */
> > > /*      WHERE clause that is consistent  */
> > >       IF (@v_error = 0)
> > >       BEGIN
> > >         SELECT @v_date_char_101 = CONVERT(char(10), @v_date_dtime, 101)
> > >         SELECT @v_error = @@error
> > >       END
> > > /*  Convert Char to int  */
> > >       IF (@v_error = 0)
> > >       BEGIN
> > >         SELECT @v_date_int  = CONVERT(int, @v_date_char)
> > >         SELECT @v_error = @@error
> > >         IF (@v_error != 0)
> > >         BEGIN
> > >           SELECT @v_rstat = 2, @v_retval = 2
> > >           GOTO abend
> > >         END
> > >       END
> > >       ELSE
> > >       BEGIN
> > >         SELECT @v_rstat = 1, @v_retval = 2
> > >         GOTO abend
> > >       END
> > >     END
> > >     ELSE
> > >     BEGIN
> > >         SELECT @v_retval = 2
> > >         GOTO abend
> > >     END
> > >   END
> > >
> > > /* SELECT @msg = 'AFTER cnv_datetime_to_int, @v_date_dtime='
> > >        + CONVERT(char(12),@v_date_dtime)
> > >        + ' @v_date_int=' + CONVERT(char(10), @v_date_int)
> > >        + ' @v_rstat=' + CONVERT(char(5), @v_rstat)
> > >        PRINT @msg */
> > >
> > > /* Return results */
> > >       IF (@v_rstat = 0)
> > >       BEGIN
> > >         SELECT l_date_int = @v_date_int, l_date_char = @v_date_char_101
> > >       END
> > >       ELSE
> > >       BEGIN
> > >         SELECT @v_retval = 7097
> > >         GOTO abend
> > >       END
> > >
> > > RETURN
> > >
> > > abend:
> > >
> > > SELECT l_date_int = 0
> > > RETURN  @v_retval
> > >
> > > /* ### DEFNCOPY: END OF DEFINITION */
> >

0
Bret
12/14/2000 7:59:25 PM
The Sybase RDBMS just didn't cut it.

The function support is very poor in Sybase.
Sybase still does not support dates and calendars
like Oracle, is missing key functions, does not permit
TSQL defined functions for SQL standard, etc..

There were just too many problems with the behaviour
of existing functions - Sybase TSQL broke everywhere.
The quality was too poor - just look at the EBF
history from 11.0 onwards.

Our company switched to Oracle and it has been
rock solid.





0
Anonymous
12/15/2000 4:40:20 AM
Anonymous@sybase.com wrote:

> Our company switched to Oracle and it has been
> rock solid.

	Sure, sure. All my Oracle DBA friends do nothing but
	complain about all the bugs they find in Oracle all the
	time.

	But I'm more curious about you now. Are Oracle getting so
	desperate that they have to employ dickheads like you to do
	their marketing for them now? Or is Oracle losing so much
	market share because of their new pricing that you've developed
	a fear of being left without any support once the bottom falls
	out of it that you feel the need to attack anything that
	offers any real competition to it? Or have the latest TPC
	benchmarks made you soil your pants in fear?

-am
0
Anthony
12/15/2000 4:49:49 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

ASE 12.0.0.0 / SWR 8775 UPGRADE TO ASE 12.0.0.6/EBF 10628 PERFORMANCE PROBLEM
Hi All, We recently upgraded ASE 12.0.0.0/SWR 8775 to ASE 12.0.0.6/EBF 10628. Some queries stopped returning resultsets. Recompiled the stored procs which fixed the issue. But the queries are running slower now. The overall performance of the app has become sluggish. The CPU is generally running higher as well! Have also set LD_LIBRARY_PATH_64 to include the new Solaris 8 threads library. Anybody any insights into this? How can we get back to the pre-upgrade performance levels short of rolling back the EBF. Regards Perry Perry, I guess 12.0.0.6 requires some Solaris ...

ASE 12.0.0.6 to ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 12.1
We are planning the upgrade of our ASE 12.0.0.6 64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5 64bit on AIX 4.3.3. We are also using Rep Server 12.1 with these two servers. My question is do I need to upgrade Rep Server as well, or will 12.1 Rep Server Work with ASE 12.5. Also, we will be upgrading AIX to 5.1 as well. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Troy It will work, however you wont be able to use any of the 12.5 new datatypes, and the rep_agents will spit out annoying error/warning messages everytime they are restarted. Our production system has been running that way for about ye...

Upgrade ASE 12.0.0.4 to 12.0.0.8
I upgraded my ASE to version 12.0.0.8. Now one of the application get a permanent error: "Not enough procedure cache". I increased the proc cache to 40% (total memory: 1 GB) - no success. When I rolled back to 12.0.0.4 everything works fine (with less procedure cache). The ASE is running on Solaris 7. The application connects thru the Merant ODBC driver. I gave the application already back to development to check. Any help how this can be avoided by a change on the host/server is appreciated. Bernd I always recommend dropping/recreating all of the stored...

Can't construct query plan in ASE 12.0
Error 325 is being returned when trying to execute a stored procedure on version : Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.0/P/SWR 8773 ESD 1/RS6000/AIX 4.3.2/1580/64bit/FBO/Tue Dec 7 03:29:32 1999 ... this is the code causing the error when running on version listed above... it's a sub-query within a stored proc AND SBSB.HIST_ROW_ID = (select MAX(SBSB2.HIST_ROW_ID) FROM Massive_db.audit.CMC_SBSB_SUBSC SBSB2 WHERE SBSB2.SBSB_CK = SBSB.SBSB_CK AND CONVERT(CHAR(10),SBEL.SBEL_INSQ_DT,101) = CONVERT(CHAR 10),SBSB2.HIST_CREATE_DTM,101)) When executing same stored procedure on AS...

Migrating from ASE 12.0 32-bit to ASE 12.0 64-bit
Has anyone run into any problems migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit? ...

Migrating from ASE 12.0 32-bit to ASE 12.0 64-bit
Has anyone run into any problems migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit? ...

How to convert ASA 6.0.3 to ASE 12.0?
Using ASA 6.0.3 and whant to convert the DB to ASE 12.0 How to convert? Where do I find documentation about this? Thanx in advance - aLEX ...

any issues to restore dump file of ASE 12.0 (32bit) to a ASE 12.0 (64bit) system ?
Hi, Does anyone know whether there is an issue that we restore the dump file (not master and system db) of ASE 12.0 (32bit) to a ASE 12.0 (64bit) system ? Assume that both system DBs are the same. Cheers paul > Hi, > > Does anyone know whether there is an issue that we restore > the dump file (not master and system db) of ASE 12.0 > (32bit) to a ASE 12.0 (64bit) system ? Assume that both > system DBs are the same. > > Cheers > paul If you have a recent ebf of ASE 12.0 (say 12.0.0.4 or later) than no problem. Earlier ebfs had a few problems....

How to convert ASA 6.0.3 to ASE 12.0 on NT 5
Using ASA 6.0.3 and whant to convert the DB to ASE 12.0 How to convert? Where do I find documentation about this? Thanx in advance - aLEX ...

Fail to online database(ASE 12.5->ASE 15.0 developer)
Hi Everyone, Could you please help me to take a look at the error? It happened when I want to online databse, I can load database successfully:-), but failed to online...... I backup up the database from ASE 12.5, and restore it to ASE 15.0 developer... 1> online database AdventureWorksDW 2> go Started estimating recovery log boundaries for database 'AdventureWorksDW'. Database 'AdventureWorksDW', checkpoint=(15436, 11), first=(15436, 11), last=(15436, 11). Completed estimating recovery log boundaries for database 'AdventureWorksDW'. Started ANA...

Why does the following query fail on ASE 15.0.2 but work on ASE 12.5.4?
Connection conn = getConnection(); PreparedStatement stmt = conn.prepareStatement("select 'test' from syscolumns where ? = ?"); stmt.setString(1, "test"); stmt.setString(2, "test"); stmt.execute(); The error is "Implicit conversion from datatype 'VARCHAR' to 'INT' is not allowed. Use the CONVERT function to run this query." I think I found the solution, which is that the database needs to know what type to expect for the parameter marker. Therefore using an explicit conversion (as mentioned in the error me...

Upgrading from ASE (32-bit) 12.0.0.7 on Solaris 2.8 64-bit to ASE(64-bit) 12.5.1 on Solaris 64-bit
Hello all, We are planning to upgrade our ASE servers from a 32-bit ASE 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1 on Solaris 8. Could you please give what are the steps to be taken care and how do I start with ( Do I have to first upgrade to 32-bit12.5.1 and then upgrade to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1, or directly upgrade from 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1 ?). Could you also please point to some documentation (about upgrading 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1). Thanks RK ...

ASE 12.0 and ASE 12.5 optional features
Dear all, Can anyone knows what are the optional features of ASE 12.0 and ASE 12.5?? Thanks ~Riverwind ASE 12.0 : * DTM (distribute transaction management) * HA (High availability) * JAVA (Java support in the database) * Security services. ASE 12.5 * EJB support in the database. * XFS (extended file system support) * Directory services * Extended full text search * Java option now includes xml support in ASE. HTH -girish Thanks... ~Riverwind <girish@sybase.com> wrote in message news:43D8F27AA65DE95800085C1785256C0C.00123C3785256C0A@webforums... ...

Upgrading from ASE 12.0 to ASE 12.5.2
Hi everyone, I am basically thinking of upgrading ASE 12.0.x to ASE 12.5.2. How would the migration process be. Is it straight dump and load or otherwise ?? regards Paresh. Paresh wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I am basically thinking of upgrading ASE 12.0.x to ASE 12.5.2. > > How would the migration process be. Is it straight dump and load or > otherwise ?? > > regards > > Paresh. > > see the upgrade/installation guide joop -- Senior Consultant Sybase Professional Services New address per 21 November 2005: Zo...

Web resources about - Convert function failing under ASE 12.0 - sybase.sqlserver.general

Wave function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... (a ball attached to a spring ) in classical mechanics (A-B) and quantum mechanics (C-H). In quantum mechanics (C-H), the ball has a wave function ...

TV binging, exercise skipping linked to poor cognitive function
... their fit, less TV-addicted counterparts. In particular, couch potatoes had slightly lower brain processing speeds and worse executive function, ...

iPhone best tricks and functions - Business Insider
Your iPhone can do a lot more than you think.

Review: HP Spectre 360 A Perfect Mix Of Style, Form, Function
HP Inc. delivers a brushed-aluminum laptop with a new 6th Generation Intel i7 processor, making it one of the best-looking, best-priced and best-performing ...

Why Global Corporations Need To Redesign Their Strategic Planning Function
Corporate strategy teams play an important role in guiding business leaders to make smarter, better and more informed decisions, especially in ...

Sponsored post: Garmin’s fenix 3 Pairs Form and Function with GPS Watch
... timepiece to polish off a professional look, or strap on a rugged stopwatch for our workouts. But when it comes to everyday use, the functional ...

Code Craft – Embedding C++: Timing Virtual Functions
... compiler just like the standard language types. A subtype inherits the characteristics of its parent type and can use, or not, the member functions ...

Madras HC asks police to allow Tipu’s birth anniversary function
... Station on a petition filed by Ismail, General Secretary of Thamizhaga Makkal Jananayaga Katchi, seeking grant of permission to hold the function. ...

Colorado governor: This Planned Parenthood shooting may be a function of inflammatory rhetoric from bloggers ...
Via Grabien , skip to 4:45 of the clip below for the key bit. I naively thought we were (mostly) done with “climate of hate” stupidity after ...

Surprise: Binge-Watching TV May Cause a Decline in Brain Function
With the second season of Transparent only a few days away, some bad news awaits us: According to a recent study and common sense, probably, ...

Resources last updated: 12/7/2015 2:02:30 AM