Failed to dump database to disk

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C0228D.1528C360

Dear all,

OS : AIX 4.2.1
Sybase : ASE 11.9.2

I would like to dump database to disk but got the following error :=20

Backup Server: 4.58.1.1: Database DDP_PRD: 1019574 kilobytes DUMPed.
Backup Server: 4.58.1.1: Database DDP_PRD: 1020086 kilobytes DUMPed.
Backup Server: 4.145.2.22: [3] Error for device '/STSDBBakup/ddp_hk_db'.
Error
writing to archive device /STSDBBakup/ddp_hk_db. Attempted to write =
55296
bytes,
42496 bytes were written.
Backup Server: 4.141.2.37: [2] The 'write' call failed for device
'/STSDBBakup/ddp_hk_db' with error number 27 (File too large). Refer to =
your
operating system documentation for further details.

The database is over 1 GB and it seems the process stopped at 1 GB =
dumped.
Pls kindly advise what I can do except stripe the DB ?? and is it the =
same
limitation for dumping to tape ??

Cheers,
Alan

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C0228D.1528C360

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 =
Transitional//EN">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Dear all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>OS : AIX 4.2.1</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Sybase : ASE 11.9.2</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I would like to dump database to disk but got the =
following=20
error : </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D2>Backup Server: 4.58.1.1: Database DDP_PRD: =
1019574=20
kilobytes DUMPed.<BR>Backup Server: 4.58.1.1: Database DDP_PRD: 1020086=20
kilobytes DUMPed.<BR>Backup Server: 4.145.2.22: [3] Error for device=20
'/STSDBBakup/ddp_hk_db'.<BR>Error<BR>writing to archive device=20
/STSDBBakup/ddp_hk_db. Attempted to write 55296<BR>bytes,<BR>42496 bytes =
were=20
written.<BR>Backup Server: 4.141.2.37: [2] The 'write' call failed for=20
device<BR>'/STSDBBakup/ddp_hk_db' with error number 27 (File too large). =
Refer=20
to your<BR>operating system documentation for further=20
details.<BR></FONT></STRONG></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The database is over 1 GB and it seems the process =
stopped at=20
1 GB dumpe</FONT><FONT size=3D2>d.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Pls kindly advise what I can do except stripe the DB =
?? and is=20
it the same</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>limitation for dumping to tape ??</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Alan</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0037_01C0228D.1528C360--

0
Alan
9/19/2000 2:58:10 PM
sybase.sqlserver.backup 609 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Have your UNIX system administrator check the file size limits for the
Sybase user (the command will be something like "limit" or "ulimit -f",
sounds like it may be set at 1GB.  If this is the problem, it wouldn't
apply
to tape, just to filesystem files.  Note that the 11.9.2 backupserver
does
have a hard 2GB filesize limit.

-bret

Alan Fung wrote:

>  Dear all, OS : AIX 4.2.1Sybase : ASE 11.9.2 I would like to dump
> database to disk but got the following error : Backup Server:
> 4.58.1.1: Database DDP_PRD: 1019574 kilobytes DUMPed.
> Backup Server: 4.58.1.1: Database DDP_PRD: 1020086 kilobytes DUMPed.
> Backup Server: 4.145.2.22: [3] Error for device
> '/STSDBBakup/ddp_hk_db'.
> Error
> writing to archive device /STSDBBakup/ddp_hk_db. Attempted to write
> 55296
> bytes,
> 42496 bytes were written.
> Backup Server: 4.141.2.37: [2] The 'write' call failed for device
> '/STSDBBakup/ddp_hk_db' with error number 27 (File too large). Refer
> to your
> operating system documentation for further details. The database is
> over 1 GB and it seems the process stopped at 1 GB dumped.Pls kindly
> advise what I can do except stripe the DB ?? and is it the
> samelimitation for dumping to tape ?? Cheers,Alan

0
Bret

Getting Disk read failed for database device during dump
Hi, I am getting the following error when one of my cron job runs for backup... Sep 21 19:07:48 2005: D00: SYBMULTBUF ERROR: Disk read failed for database device Sep 21 19:07:48 2005: Backup Server: 4.139.2.22: [29] The 'read' call failed for device '/exp/dbbackup/CUSTOM_DB.dmp' with error number 5 (I/O error). Refer to your operating system documentation for further details. Look for 'Sep 21 19:07:48 2005: D00: SYBMULTBUF ERROR: ' i n the backup server errorlog for additional information from SYBMULTBUF. Can somebody give me any direction as to what migh...

Dump database failed. A lot of space available on disk
Using Windows 2003 Server Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.2/EBF 11798/P/NT (IX86)/OS 4.0/ase1252/1831/32-bit/OPT/Fri Apr 09 04:15:03 2004 From Backup.log Aug 19 23:57:00 2007: D00: SYBMULTBUF ERROR: Wait for i/o completion failed: State=107, Msg=The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error Aug 19 23:57:00 2007: Backup Server: 4.139.2.22: [107] The 'ReadFile' call failed for device 'E:\BDSBackup\EPro\Detail_EProData20070819_225331457.dat' with error number 1117 (The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error). Refer to your ...

Unable to backup database on linux using dump database
Desparately seeking help... I am unable to produce a backup of any of our sybase databases. We are running ASE 11.9.6 on Suse 8.1 Everything appears to be working correctly ie we can create databases/devices, our application is creating the data in the database correctly. The backup server is running. However when I issue a dump database command from isql, I get the following errors /opt/sybase-11.9.2/install/RUN_linux_back: line 14: 2978 Segmentation fault /opt/sybase-11.9.2/bin/backupserver -Slinux_back -cdmpdev1 -e/opt/sybase-11.9.2/install/linux_back.log -N25 -C20 an...

why dump database failed?
Why i cannot dump database htlsys successfully? errors as follow: Oct 23 17:02:31 2000: Backup Server: 6.28.1.1: Dumpfile e 'htlsys002970EFA6 ' section number 0001 mounted on disk file 'C:\WINNT\system32\ddd.bdb' Oct 23 17:02:33 2000: Backup Server: 4.58.1.1: Database htlsys: 434 kilobytes DUMPed. Oct 23 17:02:34 2000: Backup Server: 4.58.1.1: Database htlsys: 810 kilobytes DUMPed. Oct 23 17:02:34 2000: Backup Server: 4.58.1.1: Database htlsys: 848 kilobytes DUMPed. can anybody help? I do not see an error in the text below. What is the problem... ...

backup database fails
Hi, I believe I have posted this issue sometime before but without success. I'm trying to implement a dayly database backup on a customers maschine using the following code: backup database directory 'D:\\Sicher\\Daten\\Temp\\mFMBAK' wait before start wait after end transaction log truncate Running that I get the follwoing error message: Error during backup: Could not create directory "D:\Sicher\Daten\Temp\mFMBAK"-- File exists SQLCODE=-697, ODBC 3 State="HY000" It is true that the directory exists and I d...

Dump of databases failed..
Hi, I am getting the following error when trying to dump database on one of our production servers: Msg 7205, Level 18, State 3: Server 'TOTO', Line 1: Can't open a connection to site 'SYB_BACKUP'. See the error log file in the SQL Server boot directory. Four other servers are using the same backup server without problem. It started two days ago. Our environment : Sybase SQL Server 11.0.3.3 on Alpha OpenVMS v 7.1 Restarting of backup server helped (I was able to dump databases) , but next scheduled backup failed again Thank you for any hints, ...

dump database to disk
After years of using DLT tapes as dump devices, we are considering dumping our 26 GB database to disk files. The reason is that we wish to have our enterprise-wide Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) handling ASE backups, so we plan dumping to flat files, then let TSM back them up. Our first tests shown a nasty side effect, never seen when we used tapes: dump seems to delay other Unix processes, which run slower during the dump. To some extent this may be the result of overloading disks shared with other apps. Maybe this is the only reason, as our SAN is a black box for me and I cannot te...

Can't backup database after a backup fails due to broken connection
Ran into this on a customer system yesterday, ASA 8.0.3.5267. Customer has a backup server running dbbackup (of db on primary server) daily as a scheduled task. Customer LAN has had issues lately resulting in random disconnects of db clients from the primary server. After a daily backup fails due to broken connection, it is no longer possible to backup that database in any way until the database service has been stopped and restarted. Any form of backup initiated after the failure and before the restart just hangs and does nothing. Other than this the database is fully functional ...

Regular database backup fails occasionally with Backup Server Internal Error: 4.62.3.8: Multibuffering subprocesses died
Regular database backup fails occasionally with Backup Server Internal Error: 4.62.3.8: Multibuffering subprocesses died, archive /tibback/backup/tibfx27Jun.dmp. This is been happening for quite time. This gets cure when I restart my ASE server. But since we have a 24/7 production environment its become difficult for taking a down time. I really appreciate if someone can help me for the same. Thanking you, P.G.Vinod. Platform: SunOS 5.8 ================ Generic_108528-19 ================= $ dataserver -v Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.0.0.7/P/EBF 11089 ESD 1/Sun_svr...

Automated Backup [Dump DataBase]
Dear All I would like to Create a procedure which does the dump of Database to a specific file for every one hour. This procedure I'll call from FrontEnd Application PB, and call the procedure in Timer Interval. I need a syntax for Dumping the Database inside the Procedure Thanx Vasu ...

Help: Backup database in SQLServer
Could you give me some info about how to show from powerbuilder the percentage message given by MS SQL Server while performing a database backup / restore . Thanks in advance, Best Regards. �lvaro Primitivo PowerBuilder 8.0.1 Build 9017 PFC 8.0 SqlServer 7.0 Windows 2000 Pro how is gathering this information implemented? Most times it is via a callback which is not supported in PB. You will need to handle that from a DLL could display the status in a dialog... /ck "sisgarbe" <software@sisgarbe.pt> wrote in message news:MQInAuEpBHA.313@forums.sybase.c...

BackupServer fails to dump trans / database
ASE 12.5 SWR 9609 GA/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.8/main/1647/32-bit/FBO BackupServer fails to dump transaction logs or databases with Msg 8009, Level 16, State 1. BackupServer error 4.74.2.1: Unable to create database information file xxx : Too many open files. Sybase account limit on file descriptors is 256. /proc/'sybase bs pid'/fd shows 257 files at time of failure. I understand the OS / process reason for the failure, but believe this is a Sybase issue. I can increase the resource limit on open files, but feel this only prolongs the inevitable. This is a multi-part messag...

user database intermittently failed to backup
Hi all, Operating system: Windows NT 4.0 Sp6a ASE : 11.5.1 My query is does anyone come across this problem where one of the user database failed to dump while all the other user databases dump OK in the same script scheduled nightly? It happens about twice in a week and the days it failed kept on changing and i have to manually backup the database on the day it failed. Any thoughts will be great. SC Shaun Chanthery wrote: > Operating system: Windows NT 4.0 Sp6a > ASE : 11.5.1 > > My query is does anyone come across this problem where one of...

Why I dump database with stored procedure failed?
I'm using Sybase 11.9 for WINNT 4.0,and i wrote a stored procedure as follow: CREATE PROCEDURE sp_dump_db2file @dbname varchar(20), @filename varchar(100) AS DECLARE @dbfilename varchar(120) IF @dbname IS NULL RETURN -100 IF @filename IS NULL RETURN -101 SELECT @dbfilename = @filename + ".bdb" DUMP DATABASE @dbname to @dbfilename with init SELECT @dbfilename = @filename + ".btr" DUMP TRAN @dbname to @dbfilename with init RETURN 100 It can works fine under isql,but fails when i call it from my application(Borland delphi 5.0 appli...

Web resources about - Failed to dump database to disk - sybase.sqlserver.backup

Dodgy database exposes details of 191 million US voters
... years, there's a high chance that your personal details are now out in the wild. Security researcher Chris Vickery found a misconfigured database ...

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

18 million targeted voter records exposed by database error
A second database containing voter records has been exposed due to a configuration error. While the first held records that some dismissed inconsequential ...

Botched database leaks records for 191 million voters
... sometime this century? If so, your personal info may be out in the open. Researcher Chris Vickery has discovered that a badly configured database ...