tempdb full

Last week, for one of our production servers stopped responding. On logging
in , found that tempdb is full and we were forced to shutdown the server.
The error log read as follows:

" 02:00000:00259:2001/03/16 14:10:24.63 server  Space available in the log
segment has fallen critically low in database 'tempdb'.  All future
modifications to this database will be suspended until the log is
successfully dumped and space becomes available. "

We have a threshold in place, that threshold procedure will call another
store procedure that will email and page us when the tempdb is 70 % used.
We did not get any page from the system on the day when this problem
occured.

So, On our recovery server, I tried to simulate this problem. I shrunk the
tempdb size to 8 mb and put all the necessary thresholds in place and ran
"update all statistics" for one of our big table. I was also monitoring the
tempdb usage using a shell script, that will login every minute and log the
tempdb usage.

What I found out was that, tempdb usage remained around 10%-15% for 35 mins
and the next message I see suddenly is

" 00:00000:00001:2001/03/21 12:55:06.76 server  Space available in the log
segment has fallen critically low in database 'tempdb'.  All future
modifications to this database will be suspended until the log is
successfully dumped and space becomes available. "

Again NO PAGE/NO E-MAIL. I cannot even run sp_who. This time I know my unix
session (update statistics), so I went ahead and killed it. Then after few
mins I received PAGE and E-MAIL.

The problem I am facing is that, I am not able to monitor the space using
the threshold and I know it only when tempdb has reached full usage. Is
there any way that I can monitor tempdb usage effectively.

Can I use the dboption "Abort Tran on Log Full" ? Will this kill all the
active transactions ? Can it be implemented on Production systems ? Please
highlight pros/cons on this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Ethiraj
0
Ethiraj
3/23/2001 2:27:31 AM
sybase.sqlserver.admin 2338 articles. 0 followers. Follow

There must be some transaction that is filling up the log very quickly. We
had similar problems on our production server. We too have similar
notification system but it did not notify us as the log filled up rapidly.

The workaround we took was to set the 'abort tran on log full' and 'trunc
log on chkpt' and yes they will cancel or abort all the transactions when
the log is full.

0
Manish
3/26/2001 2:30:57 PM
Manish Patel wrote:

> There must be some transaction that is filling up the log very quickly. We
> had similar problems on our production server. We too have similar
> notification system but it did not notify us as the log filled up rapidly.
>
> The workaround we took was to set the 'abort tran on log full' and 'trunc
> log on chkpt' and yes they will cancel or abort all the transactions when
> the log is full.

	The second option is always on in tempdb. Its a bit risky to use the
	first option on a production system.

	Personally, I would work out what is filling the log and take care
	of it or extend the size of tempdb.

-am	� 2001
0
Anthony

We have encountered the similar problems. How can I increase the size for
tempdb? When I increase the tmepdb size, do I also need to increase the
size for master and model? Thanks.

Allen
0
Allen
3/27/2001 11:27:08 PM
You can increase the size of tempdb just like you increase the size of any
database initialize a device with a disk init command and then alter the
database. No you do not have to increase the size of any other databases
when you do this.

JP
0
Joe_Petrucci
3/28/2001 1:42:04 AM
A cartesian running on a huge set will fill up tempdb in a hurry. Also,
tools like Cognos and Crystal Reports generally use cursors to retrieve data
(drag all the records across the network to display/aggregate on the PC--
true genius). At any rate, if one of the tools launches a 'query' on a huge
set of data, it could fill up tempdb and in a hurry at that. I saw such
processes using up tempdb at a rate of 10% per minute. That doesn't leave
much time for a fix if I leave my desk. The typical manifestation of such a
process would be 'OPEN CURSOR' at in the CMD column of sysprocesses. I had a
threshold kick off a process that would knock such processes off the box
with a kill command. Of course, I couldn't increase the size of tempdb--
maybe you can.

"Manish Patel" <manishbpatel@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There must be some transaction that is filling up the log very quickly. We
> had similar problems on our production server. We too have similar
> notification system but it did not notify us as the log filled up rapidly.
>
> The workaround we took was to set the 'abort tran on log full' and 'trunc
> log on chkpt' and yes they will cancel or abort all the transactions when
> the log is full.

0
Tom

full tempdb
Does anybody know how to log in to ASE if temdb is full I heard there is a undocummented dataserver command who attaches to the shared memory and so you can log in. Many thanks for any help kai On 9 Oct 2003 05:33:03 -0700, in sybase.public.ase.administration <Kai> wrote: >Does anybody know how to log in to ASE if temdb is full >I heard there is a undocummented dataserver command who >attaches to the shared memory and so you can log in. >Many thanks for any help >kai Hi Kai, the undocumented tool (SybMon) won't allow you to log into the server. I...

tempdb is full
Hi, I need to know how to capture the query that full up the tempdb database when is at 80%. Thanks Willy Hi, There are a few alternatives oyu can use for that purpose: 1-) add a threhold (calculate how many pages remains when the segment in tempdb is 80% per. full) for the segment you are interested in and insert data related to spid filling up the tempdb into a table located in a user database you got. 2-)(from master..syslogshold where dbid=2) when you find out the spid of the process filling up tempdb, use the following commands to retrieve sql text: dbcc traceon(3604) ...

tempdb log full.
Our system is ASE 11.5.1 and SWR8155 and it is running on HP-UX 11. When the logsegment of the tempdb is full, I cannot kill the process which fills the log. And I have to shutdown the SQL server with nowait option. Does anybody help me about why I cannot kill the process which fills up the tempdb log? And is there a way clearing the tempdb logs without shutting down the server (And also dump tran with nolog does not work in this situation) Thanks for your help, Deniz Ata wrote: > > Our system is ASE 11.5.1 and SWR8155 and it is running on HP-UX 11. > When the lo...

tempdb runs full
Does anybody know how i can avoid that tempdb runs full during several heavy SQL statements? I guess i have to increase the size of it, but i'm not sure how i do that the right way. Any suggestions? ASE: 11.0.3 OS: Linux Redhat 6.1 -- Regards Oystein Selbekk any questions: 1. What is the size of your tempdb. 2. What is the size of the tables and result sets of your SQL-statements? If you use 'order by - having' or 'sort by', than the result is buffered in the tempdb Torsten Zielinski "�ystein Selbekk" <oystein@reiselivdata.st.no&...

tempdb log full
We have an application that is using a lot of temp tables. The database structure is as follows: 6 GB data 1 GB log 1 GB for tempdb (data and log) A couple of times the tran log on tempdb has got full and to truncate it we have had to recycle the server. We were not able to check what transaction was filling up tempdb tran log because we were not able to execute any query on sysprocesses, syslocks or sysholdlocks. We are usign ASE 11.9.2 for Unix. Does anyone know if there is a bug on ASE? Thanks Sergio wrote: > > We have an application that is using a lot of...

tempdb full #4
How to know what spid was responsible of filling the tempdb?? the error logs show nothing relevant about that and when tempdb is full, sybase hangs when I run all kinds of stored procedures. thx below information might help you tempdb - server-wide temporary database ASE 12.5.0.1 1. Is a temporary database and rebuilt from model template 2. By default tempdb resides on master device, extend on separate device 3. Heavy contention in tempdb due to server-wide temporary objects 4. Bind tempdb to named cache in case of heavy usage/contention 5. When tempdb is full and no spa...

tempdb full #3
I received this entry in the log: There is no space available in SYSLOGS to log a record for which space has been reserved. This process will retry at intervals of one minute. tempdb is full. So I did: dump tran tempdb with no_log go the execution of this command took a lot of time. So i interrupted it and did a restart. Is there a more efficient command to free the tempdb?? How to see which user/database filled up the tempdb?? thanks, > There is no space available in SYSLOGS to log a record for which space > has been reserved. This process will retry at inte...

Tempdb Full #5
Could anyone tell about the procedure , if the tempdb get full in production system? ( Apart from bouncing the server ) Bal, Kumar wrote: > Could anyone tell about the procedure , if the tempdb get > full in production system? ( Apart from bouncing the server > ) You can use ALTER DATABASE to increase the size of tempdb. Long term, if it is getting full because of regular objects getting created and then abandoned by code, you will need to figure out what code is creating those objects and whap the developers on the head, make them use #temp tables. What ...

Tempdb Full #2
The tempdb on my server is fuill ? What are the options which I have now ? Whether I should just reboot the server ? Whether I can somehow create space in tempdb even if it is full now Thanks Amit You'll have to reboot! Try turning on "abort transaction on full log" on the tempdb database - this will at least allow your server to continue running You can alter tempdb, making it larger, even if it is currently full - you can do that with any database except master. -bret Amit wrote: > The tempdb on my server is fuill ? What are the options which I ha...

tempdb log full #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0049_01C03EBA.3A8E0900 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_001_004A_01C03EBA.3A8E0900" ------=_NextPart_001_004A_01C03EBA.3A8E0900 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Clear DayMy tempdb log keeps on filling up. =20 I am running Sybase 11.9.3 (Adaptive Server = Enterprise/11.9.3/64bit/1293/P/SWR 9127 ESD 6/HP9000-889/HP-UX = 11.0/FBO/Tue Jun 20 03:15:59 2000) on HP-UX 11 with tempdb set as 1 GB = data, 1/...

tempdb log space full
hi recently we receive this message in ase log 18:53:00.03 server Space available in the log segment has fallen critically low in database 'tempdb'. All future modifications to this database will be aborted until the log is successfully dumped and space becomes available. 18:53:02.62 server Error: 4205, Severity: 16, State: 1 18:53:02.63 server Syslogs does not exist in its own segment in database 'tempdb' with segmap '7' with logical start page number of '0'. You cannot use DUMP TRANSACTION in this case, use DUMP DATAB ASE instead. 18:53...

How can I do when tempdb is full of space?
Hi, Is there no way except shutdown with nowait when tempdb is full? tempdb is full of space when some users often send a wrong query to server by mistake. Whenever tempdb is full, I have to shutdown the server with nowait. and after shutdown the server, the value of identity column is always jump up when new row is inserted. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. Have you tried the "abort tran on log full" database option on tempdb? Also ASE 12.5.0.1 has a feature under the Resource Governor to limit the amount of tempdb space a user may use, it sounds like it w...

Web resources about - tempdb full - sybase.sqlserver.admin

Microsoft SQL Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft . As a database, it is a software product whose primary ...

SQL中的图树层次结构_开发/数据库_IT专家网 开发/数据库
数据库子站,提供数据库管理软件优质技术信息的领先在线资源,是数据库管理员、开发人员和负责决策制定的 IT 经理人至关重要的社区。我们提供具有特色的、全面的内容,包括专家答疑、讨论论坛、白皮书、原创的行业新闻、评论分析以及技术技巧等。还有众多国内外数据库专家定期为我们的网友在线答疑,让我们的沟通学习更为方便。 ...

An Interview With Ken Henderson About The Forthcoming Book SQL Server 2005 Practical Troubleshooting ...
I am a big fan of Ken Henderson’s books, I believe that every SQL Server developer should have a copy of his books. When I noticed on Amazon.com ...

Frequently Asked Questions About TempDB
The questions came fast and furious in one of my recent TempDB webcasts, so here’s the ones I wasn’t able to answer during the live session: ...

Controlling Transactions and Locks Part 4 : SQL 2005 Snapshot
The first three installments of this series applied to both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005. Part 4 introduces Snapshots, new in MSSQL 2005.

How to move databases between computers that are running SQL Server
Describes how to move databases between computers that are running SQL Server. Provides step-by-step information about the method.

Microsoft Press
MICROSOFT PRESS publishes on Microsoft tools & technologies, plus programming best practices. Our blog offers book info, links to ebooks, & other ...

In-memory OLTP Engine (Hekaton) in SQL Server 2014 CTP2
Today I am going to discuss the new SQL Server 2014 feature In-memory OLTP a.k.a. Hekaton a Greek word which means hundred or hundredfold. In-memory ...

Texas Memory Systems: Applications
SQL Server Databases Accelerate your transaction logs, temporary database (tempdb), indexes, and frequently accessed tables with a RamSan SSD ...