Can' allocate space in syslogs in tempdb because logsegment is full

How can I dump the trunsaction log oder alter database if server doesn't
start and hangs with the following message:

Can' allocate space in syslogs in tempdb because logsegment is full

I get this message again and again, but server doesn' t start!

0
Ralf
10/19/1999 6:05:07 AM
sybase.sqlserver.admin 2338 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Ralf Henneke wrote:

> How can I dump the trunsaction log oder alter database if server doesn't
> start and hangs with the following message:
>
> Can' allocate space in syslogs in tempdb because logsegment is full
>
> I get this message again and again, but server doesn' t start!

	You'll have to start the dataserver process with the '-m' option.
	This will allow the sa to log in a fix things. Once done, shutdown
	and restart without this option.

-am
0
Anthony
10/19/1999 6:30:07 AM
thank,

but It doesn't work.
Does anyone knows the syntax of the -m parameter.

Anthony Mandic schrieb in Nachricht <380C0FEF.BFA77428@_agd.nsw.gov.au>...
>Ralf Henneke wrote:
>>
>> How can I dump the trunsaction log oder alter database if server doesn't
>> start and hangs with the following message:
>>
>> Can' allocate space in syslogs in tempdb because logsegment is full
>>
>> I get this message again and again, but server doesn' t start!
>
> You'll have to start the dataserver process with the '-m' option.
> This will allow the sa to log in a fix things. Once done, shutdown
> and restart without this option.
>
>-am

0
Ralf
10/19/1999 8:31:28 AM
-m option is to start the server in single user mode and can be used as
dataserver -m along with other specs for errorlog, master device etc. This
would allow the 'sa' to fix any problems.

I guess it is a 1105 error and possible causes are
1) Tempdb small for the type of data/activity done on the server, if so then
increase the size

2) tempdb big enough -> somebody firing funny queries or transactions. Check up
all who are creating offending processes, set up 'trunc log' for tempdb. You
may also try to set 'abort tran' but that would terminate all such transactions
which fill up tempdb log.

You can do further reading at:
http://sybooks.sybase.com:80/onlinebooks/group-as/asg1150e/svrtsg/@Generic__BookView;pt=11019?DwebQuery=allocate+space

As I understand are you saying that you get these errors ALWAYS as soon as you
reboot the server? If yes, can you specify the server version?

Arun

Ralf Henneke wrote:

> thank,
>
> but It doesn't work.
> Does anyone knows the syntax of the -m parameter.
>
> Anthony Mandic schrieb in Nachricht <380C0FEF.BFA77428@_agd.nsw.gov.au>...
> >Ralf Henneke wrote:
> >>
> >> How can I dump the trunsaction log oder alter database if server doesn't
> >> start and hangs with the following message:
> >>
> >> Can' allocate space in syslogs in tempdb because logsegment is full
> >>
> >> I get this message again and again, but server doesn' t start!
> >
> > You'll have to start the dataserver process with the '-m' option.
> > This will allow the sa to log in a fix things. Once done, shutdown
> > and restart without this option.
> >
> >-am

0
Arun
--------------62BED965C404745881D46441

Ralf Henneke wrote:

> I'am using Version 1.0.3.3.1.
>
> The problem is I can't start the server and execute commands.
> In addition to this problem I tried to start server with -m option.
> But server doesn't start. It alwas writes error messages while trying to
> start
> (but only writes the same error messages again and again).
> Error 1105 --> Can't allocate space for object syslogs in database tempdb
> because logsegment ist full.
> Error 3669, Severity: 17 State: 1
> Error 1105, Severity: 17 State: 3

Hi Ralf,

no such version.  Run "select @@version" from isql.

jason

--------------62BED965C404745881D46441

begin:vcard
n:Froebe;Jason
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sybase, Inc.;Technical Support
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:jfroebe@sybase.com
title:Product Support Engineer (PSE)
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Jason Froebe
end:vcard

--------------62BED965C404745881D46441--

0
Jason
10/19/1999 2:44:47 PM
I'am using Version 1.0.3.3.1.

The problem is I can't start the server and execute commands.
In addition to this problem I tried to start server with -m option.
But server doesn't start. It alwas writes error messages while trying to
start
(but only writes the same error messages again and again).
Error 1105 --> Can't allocate space for object syslogs in database tempdb
because logsegment ist full.
Error 3669, Severity: 17 State: 1
Error 1105, Severity: 17 State: 3

Ralf
10/19/1999 2:45:15 PM
Sorry the version is:

11.0.3.3.1

But I can't execute a command, because server didn't start!

0
Ralf
--------------01648E1E7DC7CA4A6AE96D6A

Ralf Henneke wrote:

> Sorry the version is:
>
> 11.0.3.3.1
>
> But I can't execute a command, because server didn't start!

Hi Ralf,

Looks like your model db is full. Run:

$ $SYBASE/bin/buildmaster -x -d/path/to/master/device

This will rewrite the model db.

jason

--------------01648E1E7DC7CA4A6AE96D6A

begin:vcard
n:Froebe;Jason
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sybase, Inc.;Technical Support
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:jfroebe@sybase.com
title:Product Support Engineer (PSE)
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Jason Froebe
end:vcard

--------------01648E1E7DC7CA4A6AE96D6A--

0
Jason
10/19/1999 3:47:15 PM
Ralf,
Do this:
select * from master..sysusages where dbid = 2
Look at the segmap values - make sure there are 4's or 7's in there.
Print here if you can.

John McVicker
Xtend-Tech, Inc.

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 16:45:15 +0200,
 in sybase.public.sqlserver.administration
Ralf Henneke <Ralf.Henneke@certus-gmbh.com> wrote:
>I'am using Version 1.0.3.3.1.
>
>The problem is I can't start the server and execute commands.
>In addition to this problem I tried to start server with -m option.
>But server doesn't start. It alwas writes error messages while trying to
>start
>(but only writes the same error messages again and again).
>Error 1105 --> Can't allocate space for object syslogs in database tempdb
>because logsegment ist full.
>Error 3669, Severity: 17 State: 1
>Error 1105, Severity: 17 State: 3

John

can't allocate space for object 'syslogs' in database 'master' because 'logsegment is full
Hi All, I'm working with Sybase 12.0 and Aix 5.1 First of all, one small history: I worked with sybase 11.9.2 and I never received the message about the problem with log of the master database. After changing to Sybase 12.0 this problem was occurred frequently. I added another 3 mb to master size but again this problem occurs. Any idea about what's happening? Thanks Sergio ps: I don't have any task that work with master database. I don't see any explanation to grow of the log master. In 12.0 a new column was added to syslogins to track unsuccessful...

Can't allocate space for object 'syslogs' in database 'tempdb'
Hi, I am hit with the following error. i have increased the space of tempdb and and have set the trunc log on chkpt to true also for tempdb. can any one help me? Can't allocate space for object 'syslogs' in database 'tempdb' because 'logsegment' segment is full/has no free extents. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE to increase the size of the segment Track down the rogue query(s) that is filling up your tempdb database. How to do this? See if your favorite monitoring tool can c...

Can't allocate space for object '' in database 'tempdb',How can I do?
when I run system procedure,I got following messages : Can't allocate space for object '' in database 'tempdb' because the 'system'segment is full. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase the size of thesegment. Failed to allocate disk space for a work table in database 'mydb'. You may be able to free up space by using the DUMP TRANsaction command, or you may want to extend the size of the database by using the ALTER DATABASE command. thanks. allan wrot...

7412 can=?ISO-8859-1?B?tHQ=?= allocate space for object 'syslogs'
I use ASE 11.9.2 and we are with a problem in 3 tables in trigger of deted only. When delete in one of these tables error 7412 is executed one happens, even so Gb of log has 3. Some idea. Thanks, Luiz Fernando AMaral ...

Could not allocate space for object 'SiteLog' in database 'dmconsulting' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full.
I recieve this error after changing my view options for events (standard DNN Module). Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Could not allocate space for object 'SiteLog' in database 'dmconsulting' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. I have emailed my site host that provides me with the Sql database. Currently I am using only 3% of my alloted space in SQL Server. I thought I would check here to see if any one has ideas. At thsi point I can not access my site. Just keep getting this error. I am newbire with DNN. I have liked what I have seen up to now. A...

syslogs not full but can't allocate error
Hi all, Please help on the problem that I got the error syslogs is full, but after checking the log, still 40% free. Is disk corrupted? If yes, any solution other than re-create the db. Thanks. Charles charles@hkmail.org wrote... > Hi all, > > Please help on the problem that I got the error syslogs is full, but after > checking the log, still 40% free. Is disk corrupted? If yes, any solution > other than re-create the db. Thanks. > > Charles There may be an outstanding transaction that remains open. Check sp_who and sp_lock to see what us...

Can't allocate space for object 'temp work table'
Hi, When we are trying to execute a query from isql using an input file we are getting the output. Whereas when same query is executed from the fromend we are getting the following error. Can't allocate space for object 'temp work table' in database tempdb because system segment is full has no free extents. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log, otherwise use Alter Database or sp_extendsegment to increase size. When I checked tempdb database details, the following is the output. 100 MB of space is left on that database and why am I getting this...

Can't allocate space for object 'sylogs in database....
Full Error Message: Can't allocate space for object 'syslogs' in database 'sybsystemprocs' because the 'logsegment' segment is full. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use 'ALTER DATABASE' or sp_extendsegment to increase the size of the segment. I'm not a DBA, and not sure what the error message means, but the 'dump the transaction log' seems to be slightly more attractive. I received this message several hundred times when trying to run the 'sql_server.sql' file that comes with JConnect...

system' segment is full and can't be increased because it's full?
ASE 11.5, NT-Server: we can't access our Sybase Database from Opera anymore. The following error appears: ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Can't allocate space for object 'syslogs' in database 'master' because 'system' segment is full/has no free extents. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase size of the segment. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- When we try to do an ALTER DATABASE or sp...

error "cannt allocate space fro object 'syslogs'"
Hi, (Using Adaptive Server enterprise fro Linux 11.0.3.3) when I try to execute select-statements ISQL stops during the execution half way through the table (I have to press CTRL-C). Sometimes it displayed the following error message: SERVER ERROR: "Can't allocate space for object 'syslogs' in database 'master' because the 'system' segment is full. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase the size of the segment." Press <return> to continue. SQL ...

How can I do when tempdb is full of space?
Hi, Is there no way except shutdown with nowait when tempdb is full? tempdb is full of space when some users often send a wrong query to server by mistake. Whenever tempdb is full, I have to shutdown the server with nowait. and after shutdown the server, the value of identity column is always jump up when new row is inserted. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. Have you tried the "abort tran on log full" database option on tempdb? Also ASE 12.5.0.1 has a feature under the Resource Governor to limit the amount of tempdb space a user may use, it sounds like it w...

(newbie) Installation completed... but can't login with 'host' or 'admin'
Can't do the first step after completing installation: login with default host or admin accounts. What and where should I modify? I did the installation by the book (by the video tutorial, to be precise ;) and got stuck here, since whatever I try, I cannot access the host or admin account. Thanks in advance. If you can't login with host/host or admin/admin, it appears that your installation failed!I would start the process over by doing the following:1.   Delete the instance of DNN created in SQL server.2.   Delete the existing DNN files in the folder yo...

Can't allocate worktable in tempdb
Hi: When running an update statistics on a table that has over 4 million rows I get the following error. Error: Can't allocate space for object 'temp worktable' in database 'tempdb' because 'system' segment is full/has no free extents. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase size of the segment., Batch 1 Line 1 Do I need to increase the size of tempdb? It is set at 302MB data and log and 100MB log only. Thanks... Karen kharper wrote: > Hi: >...

Can't allocate space for object
hello when I create unique clustered index, the operation returns Can't allocate space for object. What space should be increased? log or data? thx <gerard> wrote in message news:48369a9b.12be.1681692777@sybase.com... > hello > > when I create unique clustered index, the operation returns > Can't allocate space for object. > > What space should be increased? log or data? > thx Data. For an APL clustered index the rule of thumb is that you need free space >= 120% of the current data space of the object. (An obvious factor for AP...

Web resources about - Can' allocate space in syslogs in tempdb because logsegment is full - sybase.sqlserver.admin