how to convert form string to number and back?

Hello,
I have to read and write some number-values form/to the ultralite-DB. In the
reference-DB (Sybase) the fields are defined as numeric(16,6).

I have tried the following in CodeWarrier:

1) Defne the fields in the sql declare section as static char fieldname[17].
This works for download / upload, and showing the values.
But if I have to UPDATE the table I get an SQLE_CONVERSION_ERROR

2) Define the fields as DECL_DECIMAL(16,6).
Now I can't show the value and can't get the Palm-field and write it to the
defined variable because I have only found a sample code to get and set the
Palm-field-values as char-variables.(fldGetTextHandle)

I think all would work if I was able to define the fields as char (like it
works in the first try) and convert them to numerical values only for the
UPDATE -SQL-command.
In the reference-manual for Palm-developers I have found routines in the
section "FloatManager" fplAToF and fplFToA, but they need exponential-format
for the strings.

I'm not a C- or C++-developer. Since now I used Delphi, where I can convert
from string to numbers and back. I KNOW that this is possible in C too, but
I don't know HOW.

Can anyone tell me how to solve this?

Many thanks,
Siegbert Glodek

0
Siegbert
9/14/2001 1:46:17 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.ultralite 2982 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Convert Number In Strings to Numeric Form
Hi, I need some help in converting strings that contain numbers back into numeric form. Apparently, when I sort string formatted number, the arrangement was according to alphanumeric order (eg. 1, 10,11,2,20,21,3,30... ). Thanks, TY on Mon, 15 Apr 2002 13:14:40 GMT, Mok T.Y.-R15382 wrote: > I need some help in converting strings that contain numbers back into > numeric form. Apparently, when I sort string formatted number, the > arrangement was according to alphanumeric order (eg. 1, > 10,11,2,20,21,3,30... ). Are you using the correct comparison operator? As ...

Convert a string to number
Hi. I want to set a value such as 1.5 or 10 to a text box in a report datawindow at the run time. The value will come from the user before he/she runs the report. How do I convert this string in the text box to a number that will be used for further computation at the summary band? I tried number() function, but it requires a real string and refuses to accept a variable or a column name. Thanks in advance for any help. Jian Kuang If the value comes from the user, it would be in the form of a Retrieve Argument. You can refer to the retrieve argument in the computed field for...

Convertion numbers to strings
Hello! I have some numbers in data type "Numeric". The task is to write expression wich combines prefix, number and suffix. The number must have no spare zero's on tale. Linke in example: "NDS 20%" "SN 1.5%" "ANT 0.25%" The slyboot server makes all the numbers with the same length of fract. part. like "20.00000" and I couldn't cope with this for two weeks already. I don't know of a way to do that in SQL Anywhere. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dealer Solutions, Inc. Houston, TX See you at the Powersoft User Confer...

convert string to number?
Hi, I have a problem where a number read from a file is being treated as a string by perl (I think!). I am using the module RSPerl which is an interface between Perl and the statistical language R. When i read a column of numbers from a file and pass it to the perl/R function i get an "invalid 'type' (character) of argument" error. The reason i think this is a problem on the Perl side is shown by this pseudocode: while(<FILE>){ ... stuff to extract $value from each row ... push(@list1, $value); } @list2 = (100.2, 232.333, 344.2); # these ...

Convert String to Number
I am running PB 7.03 build 10047 on Windows 2000. How do I convert a string value to number in the DataWindow script? I can convert number to string using String(ll_value), but how do I do the reverse? The help file says I should be able to use Number(ls_value), but the error checker tells me that is an unknown function. Thanks for your help. dec('123') or long('123') or integer('123') -- Kim Berghall Sisu Group, Inc. remove no_spam. no_spam.kberghall@sisugrp.com www.sisugrp.com <Scott_Emery> wrote in message news:72D1C6C14C517376005C20...

Convert a String to a Number
How can i convert a character to a number, so that the result is only numerical digits, and would always be the same, besides 26 (plus non-alpha characters) if-then statements. like, A = 1 and A always equals 1 so if I had the string:  1234A after converting, I would get the result:  12341 A doesn't necessarily have to = 1, or even a single digit.  It just has to equal a numerical... number. perhaps you can do something like this.  Store your letters in an array A and maintain a cooresponding array B that has the numeric equivalent you would want to repla...

Converting a string to a number
Hello everyone, first post and all that, i got a bit of a problem. First off, the DB information: id: autonumber score: text Both these feilds in the database are numerical, however, the score is used as a text feild, the id an autonumber. When i use a querystring to pass the score over to another page, so that the page produces only information with that perticular score matching, it works. When i try to use the ID number, i get a case miss match. I can only fathom that this is because its an autonumber. However, i need to keep the DB design as it is, as when i add a ne...

convert string to number
Hello, if I use the sprintf function it would give me a number STRING, but = not number, so I have to trick the string to become number by adding and su= btracting the number with 1. Is there a better way than this ? I want it to= be a number data type and not string.=0A=0Ae.g =0A=0Amy $strNumber =3D spr= intf("%04d", 123);=0Amy $number =3D $strNumber + 1 - 1; # to trick Perl to = convert to number datatype instead of string. =0A=0A=0AThanks,=0A=0AWilliam= =0A=0ASend instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yaho= o.com On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 8:09 PM, Wi...

How do I convert strings to floating number?
Hi there, I have a simple problem that I'm sure has been asked before (so why not again ;)) I have a list like this: 1e-100 2e-100 1e-45 5e-10 1 10 20 and want to make correct assignments: 1e-100 SMALL 2e-100 SMALL 1e-45 BIGGER 5e-10 BIGGER 1 BIGGER 10 BIG 20 BIG But with this code while (<>) { chomp; if ($_ lt 1e-50) { print "$_\t SMALL\n"; } elsif (($_ gt 1e-50) && $_ lt 5) { print "$_\t BIGGER\n"; } elsif ($_ gt 5) { print "$_\t BIGGEST\n"; } I only get ...

how to convert a number to string in SQL?
I search the help for T-sql, still don't know how to convert a number, for example 12345 to a string with formating like 12,345 Thanks for your help. The best place to do such formatting is in the front end, not at the database level.That being said, you could use a combination of the CONVERT and CAST functions (see CAST and CONVERT) to cast the number as a money type, then convert it to a varchar, and then strip off the decimal point and 2 0's at the end:DECLARE @test intSELECT @test = 12345SELECT REPLACE(CONVERT(varchar(50), CAST(@test AS money), 1),'.00','')Or, you could make use of a ...

converting a string to number or integer
erm... how is this done in c#? or convert an object to and number or integer? I need to get the below as a number or int: TotalRecords = conSelProdCount.ExecuteScalar().ToString(); So i can use it in: ProductItem[] arrNews = new ProductItem[TotalRecords]; int rwcnt = 0; while ( dtrProducts.Read()) { string NewVar = dtrProducts["ProductName"].ToString(); arrNews[rwcnt] = new ProductItem(); arrNews[rwcnt].rowcount = @TotalRecords; arrNews[rwcnt].ProductName = dtrProducts["Pro...

Converting char[] to string and back
i have filled a dataTable from a database table. one of my columns i of type Blob. when i query my dataTable the DataType for this column is char[] i need to display the contents of this column in a textbox and to update it from the textbox. any ideas how i can: 1. convert char[] to string 2. convert string back to char[] thanks System.String class is the answer. 1. It has a constructor which accepts a char array. With that you'll get a char array to a string instance 2. String has ToCharArray method to convert a string instance to a char array.Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinla...

How to convert from string to hex number
Hello, I have a requirement for passing a hex value like this to a function. Example code: my $ipmbAddress = getIpmbAddress(...); ## returns 82 getDeviceID($ip, $ipmbAddress); Here in the above code, the getDeviceID() fucntion will accept only 0x82 (hex number). How to convert the number 82 to 0x82 (Note that this should not be as string) I tried the following but not working properly. $ipmbAddress = "0x".$ipmbAddress; $ipmbAddress = hex("$ipmbAddress"); $ipmbAddress = sprintf(0x%0x, $ipmbAddress); getDeviceID($ip, $ipmbAddress); Please help. T...

Convert string to number #2
Hey all, I have got a text field in the summary band in a report datawindow which I want to set to a value at runtime and the value will come from the user. The value will be used for further addition and substraction. How do I convert this value from a string to a number? Thanks in advance for any help. Jian Kuang Depending on the scale or type of number, you can use Dec ( ), Long ( ), Double ( ), Real ( ), or Integer ( ). All of them call for a string or blob argument. Jian Kuang <jkuang@vitinc.com> wrote in message news:3757DC4F.41131683@vitinc.com... Hey a...

Web resources about - how to convert form string to number and back? - sybase.sqlanywhere.ultralite

Today’s apps gone free: BlockBear, Stock Grader, PDF Smart Convert and more
Block ads and other annoying content, take the emotion out of investing, and convert almost anything into a PDF with todays collection of apps ...

Ford patents rear wheel that converts into a unicycle
Filed under: Government/Legal , Green , Ford , Green Driving , Motorcycle , Electric Ford is thinking about allowing drivers to remove a rear ...