Use mobilink to sync remote PC DB with central DB

Hi all

Tried to find some information on mobilink's capability on sync a number of
remote DB with central DB.

Set up:
1. Remote PC running my apps and ODBC compliant database
2. Central server running microsoft SQL 2000

Objective
sync tens to hundreds of remote PC's DBs to the central sql2000 DB on a
daily basis

questions?
1. Can mobilink client work with any ODBC compliant database on remote PC,
or it has to be sybase's DB
2. Can mobilink to be configured to auto dial up ISP on a scheduled basis
and then sync with central DB through TCPIP?
3. Is the data transfered by mobilink client to server encrypted?
4. any limitations for this set up?

Thanks for reading this and really appreciate any help or guide you can
give. It will be great if anybody can give me some guids or tips on how to
get this things started.

or if mobilink can not do the above, any other suggestions?

best regards
Justin

0
Justin
10/1/2002 10:35:34 AM
sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink 5254 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> Objective
> sync tens to hundreds of remote PC's DBs to the central sql2000 DB on a
> daily basis

No problem.

> 1. Can mobilink client work with any ODBC compliant database on remote PC,
> or it has to be sybase's DB

No, just the supported ones listed in our Help file:

Introducing SQL Anywhere Studio
  APPENDIX A. Supported Platforms and System Requirements
    MobiLink supported operating systems
MobiLink synchronization consolidated databases

Which currently are:
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere.
Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise 11.5 and later.
IBM DB2 UDB 7.1.
Microsoft SQL Server 7 and SQL Server 2000.
Oracle 8i and 9i.

> 2. Can mobilink to be configured to auto dial up ISP on a scheduled basis
> and then sync with central DB through TCPIP?

MobiLink does not do that, the MobiLink CLIENT (dbmlsync.exe) does that.  As
of 8.0.2 (which will be available in a couple of months), it will be able to
automatically dial on Windows and Pocket PC 2002 platforms.

Generally you would run the MobiLink server somewhere on your network which
is always connected to your consolidated database (ie SQL Server).  Then
dbmlsync will connect to it to synchronize daily.

> 3. Is the data transfered by mobilink client to server encrypted?

That is an option available to you.  New to 8.0.2 is HTTPS support.  Prior
to 8.0.2 (ie right now) you can use secure sockets.  Net result is yes, all
communication can be 128-bit encrypted.

> 4. any limitations for this set up?

None that I can see.  This is a "standard" setup.

> Thanks for reading this and really appreciate any help or guide you can
> give. It will be great if anybody can give me some guids or tips on how to
> get this things started.

Start here with the tutorial.

MobiLink Synchronization User's Guide
3. Tutorial: Synchronization Using MobiLink and Adaptive Server Anywhere

Feel free to ask questions.

--
David Fishburn
NEW - Certified ASA Developer Version 8

EBFs and Maintenance Releases
http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
Developer Community / Whitepapers
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
CaseXpress - to report bugs
http://casexpress.sybase.com

<Justin> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> Tried to find some information on mobilink's capability on sync a number
of
> remote DB with central DB.
>
> Set up:
> 1. Remote PC running my apps and ODBC compliant database
> 2. Central server running microsoft SQL 2000
>
> Objective
> sync tens to hundreds of remote PC's DBs to the central sql2000 DB on a
> daily basis
>
> questions?
> 1. Can mobilink client work with any ODBC compliant database on remote PC,
> or it has to be sybase's DB
> 2. Can mobilink to be configured to auto dial up ISP on a scheduled basis
> and then sync with central DB through TCPIP?
> 3. Is the data transfered by mobilink client to server encrypted?
> 4. any limitations for this set up?
>
> Thanks for reading this and really appreciate any help or guide you can
> give. It will be great if anybody can give me some guids or tips on how to
> get this things started.
>
> or if mobilink can not do the above, any other suggestions?
>
> best regards
> Justin

0
David
10/1/2002 1:12:24 PM
To clarify, on the remote it has to be either ASA or ultralite. On the
consolidated ( ie. the central database) you can use one of the
supported ones that David mentions.

--
Shuchit Velkar
iAnywhere Solutions
Professional Services
Please only post to the newsgroup

EBFs and Whitepapers
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer

"David Fishburn" <fishburn_remove_for_spam@sybase.com> wrote in

>> Objective
>> sync tens to hundreds of remote PC's DBs to the central sql2000 DB on
>> a daily basis
>
> No problem.
>
>> 1. Can mobilink client work with any ODBC compliant database on
>> remote PC, or it has to be sybase's DB
>
> No, just the supported ones listed in our Help file:
>
> Introducing SQL Anywhere Studio
>   APPENDIX A. Supported Platforms and System Requirements
>     MobiLink supported operating systems
> MobiLink synchronization consolidated databases
>
> Which currently are:
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere.
> Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise 11.5 and later.
> IBM DB2 UDB 7.1.
> Microsoft SQL Server 7 and SQL Server 2000.
> Oracle 8i and 9i.
>

>> 2. Can mobilink to be configured to auto dial up ISP on a scheduled
>> basis and then sync with central DB through TCPIP?
>
> MobiLink does not do that, the MobiLink CLIENT (dbmlsync.exe) does
> that.  As of 8.0.2 (which will be available in a couple of months), it
> will be able to automatically dial on Windows and Pocket PC 2002
> platforms.
>
> Generally you would run the MobiLink server somewhere on your network
> which is always connected to your consolidated database (ie SQL
> Server).  Then dbmlsync will connect to it to synchronize daily.
>

>> 3. Is the data transfered by mobilink client to server encrypted?
>
> That is an option available to you.  New to 8.0.2 is HTTPS support.
> Prior to 8.0.2 (ie right now) you can use secure sockets.  Net result
> is yes, all communication can be 128-bit encrypted.
>

>> 4. any limitations for this set up?
>
> None that I can see.  This is a "standard" setup.
>

>> Thanks for reading this and really appreciate any help or guide you
>> can give. It will be great if anybody can give me some guids or tips
>> on how to get this things started.
>
> Start here with the tutorial.
>
> MobiLink Synchronization User's Guide
> 3. Tutorial: Synchronization Using MobiLink and Adaptive Server
> Anywhere
>
> Feel free to ask questions.

0
Shuchit
10/1/2002 2:37:27 PM
Thanks for your reply.

1. remote DB supported.
- as pointed out by Shuchit, the remote DB can only be ASA or ultralite. so
can ASA and ultralite be run on a normal windows environment, like win95,
NT4? I am sure that is not a problem for ASA, but how about ultralite?

2. auto dial up by Mobilink client
- the mobilink server will definitely be in the same LAN as the central DB.
so how does mobilink client works? if it can not be configured to auto dial
up to the mobilink server, does someboy have to start the dial up first
then press some button on mobilink client? or just by press a button on
mobilink client and it will dial up and sync?

3. Mobilink integration with customised apps
- can I integrated the mobilink client with my apps? for example, by click
a button on my apps, it will automatcally start mobilink client to sync?
or if not, can I write some kind of shell script to run it as scheduled by
me?

4. different clients sync to different databses
- can the following set up work?
ten remote PCs sync to database A on central DB server, another ten remote
PCs sync to database B on the central DB server, and so on. and all these
pcs' mobilink client connect to the same mobilink server for sync.
Is there a limit on how many concurrent mobilink client sync request a
mobilink server can handle at one time?

5. Support for mulitbyte language and binary objects
- does mobilink sync supports multibye lanuage characters in the DB field
and binary objects like jpg or gif in the DB.

6. Security
you mention security is an option, does that means it is something extra I
have to paid for?

7. better choice? ASA or ultralite
in my current set up (remote PC and central server), what will be a
better/cost effective option? ASA(which version?) or ultralite? my apps on
remote PC will connect to the local DB through ODBC, and it will be
possible that a few remote PC connect to a local DB server(in the same
LAN), and the local DB server will sync to the central DB server by
mobilink.
the app on remote PC is quite simple, so it does not need complicated DB
features, just basic sql queries will do.

8. ASA, ASE??
I've browsing through the sybase site, but I only see ASE, but not ASA?
where can I download a copy of ASA (maybe personal edition) to try it out?

8. Cost involved?
as I am planning these for hundreds to thousands of remote clients to roll
out in the next a year or two. cost will add up to be a big issue. so what
are the cost invloved? cheapest ASA version, mobilink client/server
license, and any thing else should be included?

can somebody give me a feel or roughly what kind of price range I should be
expecting?

seems I really asked a lot in this reply. Hope you guys don't mind.

thanks for reading

best regards
Justin
0
Justin
10/2/2002 3:12:15 AM
> 1. remote DB supported.
> - as pointed out by Shuchit, the remote DB can only be ASA or ultralite.
so
> can ASA and ultralite be run on a normal windows environment, like win95,
> NT4? I am sure that is not a problem for ASA, but how about ultralite?

UltraLite does have win32 libraries, but it is intended for handheld
devices.
On win32 you would run full ASA and dbmlsync.

> 2. auto dial up by Mobilink client
> - the mobilink server will definitely be in the same LAN as the central
DB.
> so how does mobilink client works? if it can not be configured to auto
dial
> up to the mobilink server, does someboy have to start the dial up first
> then press some button on mobilink client? or just by press a button on
> mobilink client and it will dial up and sync?

Most people write their own piece of code that ensures there is a dial up
present beofre they shell out and run dbmlsync.

> 3. Mobilink integration with customised apps
> - can I integrated the mobilink client with my apps? for example, by click
> a button on my apps, it will automatcally start mobilink client to sync?
> or if not, can I write some kind of shell script to run it as scheduled by
> me?

Yeah, just a shell script to run dbmlsync (against an ASA remote).  You can
also code directly to our API, just like dbmlsync does and call it yourself.
Obviously, this is a bit more difficult.

> 4. different clients sync to different databses
> - can the following set up work?
> ten remote PCs sync to database A on central DB server, another ten remote
> PCs sync to database B on the central DB server, and so on. and all these
> pcs' mobilink client connect to the same mobilink server for sync.
> Is there a limit on how many concurrent mobilink client sync request a
> mobilink server can handle at one time?

You need 1 MobiLink server / consolidated database.
So in the above, you need 2 ML servers.
ML concurrent requests depend on machine resources, RAM, and the power of
the consolidated database.

> 5. Support for mulitbyte language and binary objects
> - does mobilink sync supports multibye lanuage characters in the DB field
> and binary objects like jpg or gif in the DB.

Yes, both UltraLite and ASA support LONG BINARY.  Both also support
mutlibyte languages.

> 6. Security
> you mention security is an option, does that means it is something extra I
> have to paid for?

I believe so, but you need to talk to sales.

> 7. better choice? ASA or ultralite
> in my current set up (remote PC and central server), what will be a
> better/cost effective option? ASA(which version?) or ultralite? my apps on
> remote PC will connect to the local DB through ODBC, and it will be
> possible that a few remote PC connect to a local DB server(in the same
> LAN), and the local DB server will sync to the central DB server by
> mobilink.
> the app on remote PC is quite simple, so it does not need complicated DB
> features, just basic sql queries will do.

No idea, that is where you need to talk with sales.

> 8. ASA, ASE??
> I've browsing through the sybase site, but I only see ASE, but not ASA?
> where can I download a copy of ASA (maybe personal edition) to try it out?

http://www.sybase.com
Click on Products (at top of page)
Click on "SQL Anywhere Studio" from the Mobile and Wireless Solutions
section of the chart.
OR
http://www.sybase.com/products/databaseservers/sqlanywhere
OR
http://www.sybase.com/solutions/mobilewireless

> 8. Cost involved?
> as I am planning these for hundreds to thousands of remote clients to roll
> out in the next a year or two. cost will add up to be a big issue. so what
> are the cost invloved? cheapest ASA version, mobilink client/server
> license, and any thing else should be included?

Call sales 1-800-8-SYBASE

--
David Fishburn
NEW - Certified ASA Developer Version 8
Sybase - iAnywhere Solutions
Professional Services
Please only post to the newsgroup
Please ALWAYS include version and MORE importantly BUILD number with EACH
post (dbeng8 -v).

EBFs and Maintenance Releases
http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
Developer Community / Whitepapers
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
CaseXpress - to report bugs
http://casexpress.sybase.com

0
David
10/2/2002 1:02:00 PM
When calling sales to talk about ASA, I'd always suggest calling someone directly in Waterloo where the software is
developed.  To contact iAnywhere Solutions directly I'd use the following contact information :

Your question would be best answered by a member of the iAnywhere Solutions sales force.   For product or sales
inquiries you can contact iAnywhere Solutions by calling 1-800-801-2069 within North America.  Alternatively, you can
contact us by email at contact.us@ianywhere.com

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
   -> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL

"David Fishburn" <fishburn_remove_for_spam@sybase.com> wrote in message news:IWjdTZhaCHA.198@forums.sybase.com...
> [...]
> section of the chart.
> OR
> http://www.sybase.com/products/databaseservers/sqlanywhere
> OR
> http://www.sybase.com/solutions/mobilewireless
>

> > 8. Cost involved?
> > as I am planning these for hundreds to thousands of remote clients to roll
> > out in the next a year or two. cost will add up to be a big issue. so what
> > are the cost invloved? cheapest ASA version, mobilink client/server
> > license, and any thing else should be included?
>
> Call sales 1-800-8-SYBASE
>

> --
> David Fishburn
> NEW - Certified ASA Developer Version 8
> Sybase - iAnywhere Solutions
> Professional Services
> Please only post to the newsgroup
> Please ALWAYS include version and MORE importantly BUILD number with EACH

0
Reg
10/2/2002 1:20:02 PM
What started out as 4 questions has certainly grown... Did your interest
get peeked or what???

> 1. remote DB supported.
> - as pointed out by Shuchit, the remote DB can only be ASA or
> ultralite. so can ASA and ultralite be run on a normal windows
> environment, like win95, NT4? I am sure that is not a problem for ASA,
> but how about ultralite?

Ultalite can be compiled as a Win32 console app but you probably wouldn't
want to do this. Given the OS types you listed, they would be on machines
capable of running ASA without problem.

> 2. auto dial up by Mobilink client
> - the mobilink server will definitely be in the same LAN as the
> central DB. so how does mobilink client works? if it can not be
> configured to auto dial up to the mobilink server, does someboy have
> to start the dial up first then press some button on mobilink client?
> or just by press a button on mobilink client and it will dial up and
> sync?

As Dave stated, the as yet to be released version will have the
capability of dialing a connection when DBMLSYNC (the client executable
on the remote) is started. For now, a connection to the network should
already be established before starting DBMLSYNC.

> 3. Mobilink integration with customised apps
> - can I integrated the mobilink client with my apps? for example, by
> click a button on my apps, it will automatcally start mobilink client
> to sync? or if not, can I write some kind of shell script to run it as
> scheduled by me?

Both... The DBMLSYNC is an executable which depending on your developing
language can be spawned or shelled. Depending on the OS, the DBMLSYNC
executable could be scheduled to run by the OS. And another way, the
database can schedule running DBMLSYNC itself.

> 4. different clients sync to different databses
> - can the following set up work?
> ten remote PCs sync to database A on central DB server, another ten
> remote PCs sync to database B on the central DB server, and so on. and
> all these pcs' mobilink client connect to the same mobilink server for
> sync. Is there a limit on how many concurrent mobilink client sync
> request a mobilink server can handle at one time?

The Mobilink Server connects to the consolidated database using ODBC.
This connection is a Server/Database specific connection. To perform the
scenario you described, for each ten remotes, there would be one Mobilink
server. The DBMLSYNC client would communicate with the appropriate
DBMLSRV8 server.

I suggest reading the white paper 'Mobilink Performance'
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1009664 for an in depth analysis on the
tuning of Mobilink. Therefore you'll be able to come up with your own
pratical 'limit'.

> 5. Support for mulitbyte language and binary objects
> - does mobilink sync supports multibye lanuage characters in the DB
> field and binary objects like jpg or gif in the DB.

Yes... for a full list of supplied collations type 'dbinit -l+' at a
command prompt. Yes... binary objects are supported.

> 6. Security
> you mention security is an option, does that means it is something
> extra I have to paid for?

Transport Layer Security is seperately licenseable. Look at
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1009664 for details. There is other forms
of security such as user authentication that is available out of box.

> 7. better choice? ASA or ultralite
> in my current set up (remote PC and central server), what will be a
> better/cost effective option? ASA(which version?) or ultralite? my
> apps on remote PC will connect to the local DB through ODBC, and it
> will be possible that a few remote PC connect to a local DB server(in
> the same LAN), and the local DB server will sync to the central DB
> server by mobilink.
> the app on remote PC is quite simple, so it does not need complicated
> DB features, just basic sql queries will do.

There is a big difference between 'ASA' and 'Ultralite'. I would suggest
looking at the documentation in order to understand these fundamentally
different architectures. But, if I had to suggest on you description of
'remote PC', I would say using ASA would be your most likely avenue.

> 8. ASA, ASE??
> I've browsing through the sybase site, but I only see ASE, but not
> ASA? where can I download a copy of ASA (maybe personal edition) to
> try it out?

http://www.sybase.com/products/anywhere right in the middle of the
page...

> 8. Cost involved?
> as I am planning these for hundreds to thousands of remote clients to
> roll out in the next a year or two. cost will add up to be a big
> issue. so what are the cost invloved? cheapest ASA version, mobilink
> client/server license, and any thing else should be included?

You would need to contact a sales guy type for this... 1-800-8SYBASE
would be a good place to start.

> can somebody give me a feel or roughly what kind of price range I
> should be expecting?

Once again... a Sales guy type would be your best bet for this info...

> seems I really asked a lot in this reply. Hope you guys don't mind.
>
> thanks for reading
>
> best regards
> Justin

whew..... I hope I covered them all for you....

Scott Kruer
Senior Consultant
Certified ASA Developer Version 8
Sybase - iAnywhere Solutions
Professional Services
Please only post to the newsgroup
0
Scott
10/2/2002 1:24:56 PM
Just to throw in my $0.02 on the UltraLite vs ASA choice for the remote, UL
works fine on Win32 but you would only choose UL over ASA if:
- you want a minimal footprint in memory (I think ASA is around 2 MB, while UL
can be under 100 KB)
- you know all the SQL statements you want use
- the schema for your remote database won't change
- none of your tables will have more than 65534 rows (UL uses 2-byte row ids to
save space)
- you have C, C++ or Java programming skills (with the UL Component Suite in
8.0.2 you will be able to use eVB)

(Future versions of UL may support more arbitrary SQL, and 8.0.2 UL will allow
schema changes.)

You might also look at the following parts of the SQL Anywhere Studio
documentation:

Introducing SQL Anywhere Studio
  2. The Architecture of Database Applications
    Comparing Adaptive Server Anywhere and UltraLite

UltraLite User's Guide
  APPENDIX A. UltraLite Features and Limitations

Most, but not all, customers have chosen to use ASA instead of UL for remote
databases on win32.

Cheers,

Graham
0
Graham
10/2/2002 3:53:24 PM
thanks for all the replies, really appreciate all the help ...
the number of question grows, at least show that I am thinking :)

I think I'll call up the sales guys and iAnywhere Solutions guys to find
out the possible cost.

>> 4. different clients sync to different databses
>> - can the following set up work?
>> ten remote PCs sync to database A on central DB server, another ten
>> remote PCs sync to database B on the central DB server, and so on.
>> and all these pcs' mobilink client connect to the same mobilink
>> server for sync. Is there a limit on how many concurrent mobilink
>> client sync request a mobilink server can handle at one time?
>
> The Mobilink Server connects to the consolidated database using ODBC.
> This connection is a Server/Database specific connection. To perform
> the  scenario you described, for each ten remotes, there would be one
> Mobilink  server. The DBMLSYNC client would communicate with the
> appropriate  DBMLSRV8 server.

so that means, if I have ten groups of clients sync to ten different
databases on the consolidated server, I will need ten wintel box running
ten ML server to achieve that? that doesn't seems too great.
Probably I have to do with one consolidated database, and then use my
own script to seperated them into various DB. any other suggestions?

thanks again for all the help.. the support here in this news group
really impresses me.

Justin
0
Justin
10/2/2002 5:36:26 PM
thanks for all the replies, really appreciate all the help ...
the number of question grows, at least show that I am thinking :)

I think I'll call up the sales guys and iAnywhere Solutions guys to find
out the possible cost.

>> 4. different clients sync to different databses
>> - can the following set up work?
>> ten remote PCs sync to database A on central DB server, another ten
>> remote PCs sync to database B on the central DB server, and so on.
>> and all these pcs' mobilink client connect to the same mobilink
>> server for sync. Is there a limit on how many concurrent mobilink
>> client sync request a mobilink server can handle at one time?
>
> The Mobilink Server connects to the consolidated database using ODBC.
> This connection is a Server/Database specific connection. To perform
> the  scenario you described, for each ten remotes, there would be one
> Mobilink  server. The DBMLSYNC client would communicate with the
> appropriate  DBMLSRV8 server.

so that means, if I have ten groups of clients sync to ten different
databases on the consolidated server, I will need ten wintel box running
ten ML server to achieve that? that doesn't seems too great.
Probably I have to do with one consolidated database, and then use my
own script to seperated them into various DB. any other suggestions?

thanks again for all the help.. the support here in this news group
really impresses me.

Justin
0
Justin
10/2/2002 5:39:15 PM
> so that means, if I have ten groups of clients sync to ten different
> databases on the consolidated server, I will need ten wintel box running
> ten ML server to achieve that? that doesn't seems too great.
> Probably I have to do with one consolidated database, and then use my own
> script to seperated them into various DB. any other suggestions?

First off, I believe I said you need 1 ML server per database.  More than 1
ML server can run on the SAME machine.

Having said that, why would you have 10 SQL Server databases in the first
place?

--
David Fishburn
NEW - Certified ASA Developer Version 8
Sybase - iAnywhere Solutions
Professional Services
Please only post to the newsgroup
Please ALWAYS include version and MORE importantly BUILD number with EACH
post (dbeng8 -v).

EBFs and Maintenance Releases
http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
Developer Community / Whitepapers
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
CaseXpress - to report bugs
http://casexpress.sybase.com

0
David
10/2/2002 5:53:09 PM
See previous posts.
Please dont ask the same question repeatedly that way many people have to do
the same work, when the question was already answered.

--

"Justin" <halime@innocity.net> wrote in message
> thanks for all the replies, really appreciate all the help ...
> the number of question grows, at least show that I am thinking :)
>
> I think I'll call up the sales guys and iAnywhere Solutions guys to find
> out the possible cost.
>
> >> 4. different clients sync to different databses
> >> - can the following set up work?
> >> ten remote PCs sync to database A on central DB server, another ten
> >> remote PCs sync to database B on the central DB server, and so on.
> >> and all these pcs' mobilink client connect to the same mobilink
> >> server for sync. Is there a limit on how many concurrent mobilink
> >> client sync request a mobilink server can handle at one time?
> >
> > The Mobilink Server connects to the consolidated database using ODBC.
> > This connection is a Server/Database specific connection. To perform
> > the  scenario you described, for each ten remotes, there would be one
> > Mobilink  server. The DBMLSYNC client would communicate with the
> > appropriate  DBMLSRV8 server.
> >

> so that means, if I have ten groups of clients sync to ten different
> databases on the consolidated server, I will need ten wintel box running
> ten ML server to achieve that? that doesn't seems too great.
> Probably I have to do with one consolidated database, and then use my
> own script to seperated them into various DB. any other suggestions?
>
> thanks again for all the help.. the support here in this news group
> really impresses me.
>
> Justin

0
David
10/2/2002 5:54:36 PM
> so that means, if I have ten groups of clients sync to ten different
> databases on the consolidated server, I will need ten wintel box
> running ten ML server to achieve that? that doesn't seems too great.
> Probably I have to do with one consolidated database, and then use my
> own script to seperated them into various DB. any other suggestions?

A machine with enough resourses can run all 10 instances of the Mobilink
server. And 1 instance of a network engine can handle all 10 databases
on 1 machine. Obviously this is all theoritical since it's all based on
available machine resourses. You might find, that you won't need to
separate the data out into 10 databases... Just partition the data in 1.

> thanks for all the replies, really appreciate all the help ...
> the number of question grows, at least show that I am thinking :)
>
> I think I'll call up the sales guys and iAnywhere Solutions guys to
> find out the possible cost.
>
>>> 4. different clients sync to different databses
>>> - can the following set up work?
>>> ten remote PCs sync to database A on central DB server, another ten
>>> remote PCs sync to database B on the central DB server, and so on.
>>> and all these pcs' mobilink client connect to the same mobilink
>>> server for sync. Is there a limit on how many concurrent mobilink
>>> client sync request a mobilink server can handle at one time?
>>
>> The Mobilink Server connects to the consolidated database using ODBC.
>> This connection is a Server/Database specific connection. To perform
>> the  scenario you described, for each ten remotes, there would be one
>> Mobilink  server. The DBMLSYNC client would communicate with the
>> appropriate  DBMLSRV8 server.
>>

> so that means, if I have ten groups of clients sync to ten different
> databases on the consolidated server, I will need ten wintel box
> running ten ML server to achieve that? that doesn't seems too great.
> Probably I have to do with one consolidated database, and then use my
> own script to seperated them into various DB. any other suggestions?
>
> thanks again for all the help.. the support here in this news group
> really impresses me.
>
> Justin

0
Scott
10/2/2002 5:59:49 PM
thanks for all the replies, really appreciate all the help ...
the number of question grows, at least show that I am thinking :)

I think I'll call up the sales guys and iAnywhere Solutions guys to find
out the possible cost.

>> 4. different clients sync to different databses

>> - can the following set up work?

>> ten remote PCs sync to database A on central DB server, another ten

>> remote PCs sync to database B on the central DB server, and so on.
>> and all these pcs' mobilink client connect to the same mobilink
>> server for sync. Is there a limit on how many concurrent mobilink
>> client sync request a mobilink server can handle at one time?

> The Mobilink Server connects to the consolidated database using ODBC.

> This connection is a Server/Database specific connection. To perform
> the  scenario you described, for each ten remotes, there would be one
> Mobilink  server. The DBMLSYNC client would communicate with the
> appropriate  DBMLSRV8 server.

so that means, if I have ten groups of clients sync to ten different
databases on the consolidated server, I will need ten wintel box running
ten ML server to achieve that? that doesn't seems too great.
Probably I have to do with one consolidated database, and then use my own
script to seperated them into various DB. any other suggestions?

thanks again for all the help.. the support here in this news group really
impresses me.

Justin

0
Justin
10/2/2002 6:03:50 PM
>First off, I believe I said you need 1 ML server per database. =A0More tha=
n=20
>1 ML server can run on the SAME machine.

>Having said that, why would you have 10 SQL Server databases in the >first=
=20
place?

oh, we are in the ASP business, so each of our client would like to have a =

seperated DB. and the client's employee will sync to their own DB.

though another way I can do is to first sync to the same DB, then seperated=
=20
them through my own scripts. I will prefer to be done in one step.

as you mentioned ealier, I can run more than one instance of ML server,=20
does that means I will need multiple licenses for the ML server too? maybe =

I should ask the sales person instead

anyway, thanks a lot for all the replies again. I think I am having a much =

better idea right now.
0
Justin
10/3/2002 3:25:49 AM
Sorry, guys,

was a mistake by click once extra time on the brower submit button.

Justin
0
Justin

SQL Server(consolidate DB) sync with Mobilink (ASA)(remote DB)
Hi ALL, I'm new in mobilink and i actually want to use mobilink to sync between the remote DB that sit on a PDA or Mobile Device(that develop using pocket builder) and Consolidate DB (SQL Server) that sit on a Server platform, is any expert can share soem experience or provide some sample application on it? I'm still firgure how the model works, please advice, Thanks in advance. Yswu wrote: > Hi ALL, > I'm new in mobilink and i actually want to use mobilink to sync > between the remote DB that sit on a PDA or Mobi...

Can Mobilink be used for syncronizing 2 oracle db's using a temp ASA db ?
"Steen Jakobsen" <sj@dmsoftware.dk> wrote in news:Vy77dqwuCHA.344 @forums.sybase.com: Can you flush this out a bit more with an example. I dont fully understand what you are attempting. -- David Fishburn NEW - Certified ASA Developer Version 8 Sybase - iAnywhere Solutions Professional Services Please only post to the newsgroup Please ALWAYS include version and MORE importantly BUILD number with EACH post (dbeng8 -v). EBFs and Maintenance Releases http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm Developer Community / Whitepapers http://www.ianywhere.com/...

What Collation should my remote ASA 7.0.3 db use for mobilink to translate correctly? My consolidated Oracle 8.0.5 use WE8ISO8859P9
What Collation should my remote ASA 7.0.3 db use for mobilink to translate correctly? My consolidated Oracle 8.0.5 use WE8ISO8859P9 If you run dbinit -l it will list all the collations for ASA: Here are 3 relevant ones: ISO_1 ISO8859-1, ISO Latin 1, Western ISO1LATIN1 ISO8859-1, ISO Latin 1, Western, Latin 1 Ordering ISO9LATIN1 ISO8859-15, ISO Latin 9, Western, Latin 1 Ordering My best guess is ISO_1 dbinit -z ISO_1 dave.db -- David Fishburn Certified SQL Anywhere Associate Sybase - iAnywhere Solutions Professional Services Please only post to the newsgroup EBF...

Can mobilink sync one remote db to two consolidated dbs?
I am working on an application that already uses mobilink to sync remote databases to a DB2 consolidated database. I have been asked to add two tables from a different DB2 consolidated database to the application's remote databases. But I have also been asked not to duplicate the new tables in the original consolidated database. This implies that the sychronization process will need to establish a separate connection to synchronize these two tables to the other consolidated database. Is this possible? If so, can you please point me to any documentation I can follow to im...

Separate DB for Mobilink and Consolidated DB
Hello Everyone, We are working on a project using Mobilink Synchronization Server for data sync between remote databases and the consolidated DB. The consolidated database in our case is Oracle. We are facing a development related problem since the database schema is same for all the developers. Let me explain this with an example. Lets say a Developer A adds a synchronization script "download_cursor" and is testing that. Another developer, B adds another script "authenticate_user". Lets say that B's script is being tested currenlty, but since the database...

upgrading DB for using Mobilink
I need to use Mobilink syncronization on an ASA6 DB running on an ASA7 server (the .DB file was created with ASA6 but it's running on DBSRV7) So i need to upgrade the DB to ASA8 I would like to know the best way to do this For example: - in which order to do unload/reload and DB upgrade - if upgrade directly from ASA6 to ASA8 or better upgrade to ASA7 and then to ASA8 I would really appreciate some kind of checklist Thanks everyone it's me again... I was in a hurry so i forgot to post which ASA versions i am using: DB file = ASA 6.0.2 ASA 7.0.4 build 278...

setting up secondary consolidated db using db remote
asa v9.02. with one consolidated db and 3 remote dbs. hello i am trying to create a distaster consolidated db using replication. but it seems that i have to do so many chnages to convert my secondary consolidated to live consolidated and vice versa . i tried to do the same thing using log shipping and it is very easy but i want to keep the secondary db 100 % in sync with live db like real time which is thru replication. does anyone ever tried to create disaster consolidated db using replication if yes could you please let me konw how did you get around to that problem thanks sunil ...

how to synchronize sql anywhere db to mobilink consolidate db
Hi, thanks for reply :) Now i using 'mobilink' to syncronize my microsoft sql server data with a consolidate db. :) it is successfully running.Every changes in Microsoft sql server db occurring in mobilink consolidate database. but the problem is i can not synchronize my sqlanywhere database(which i made as a remote for sync) with this cosolidate database. can any body give me idea how to synchronize this sqlanywhere db with mobilink consolidate database. there is a one replication folder,one subscription folder and moblink user folder under the sqlanywhere...

Deleting remote DB rows through Mobilink..
Hello, First off, I'm using ASA 7.0.3.2046. I need to remove all the rows out of an Ultralite database table. Normally, I just use the download_delete_cursor on the synchronized table and it does it's job. However, this download_delete cursor isn't working at all: select trans_id, device_id from inventory_trans trans_id and device_id are the concatenated primary key. The Mobilink log tells me that it's downloading the rows for delete: I. 03/21 13:19:24. [peg]: Delete row: I. 03/21 13:19:24. [peg]: 4 I. 03/21 13:19:24. [peg]: 1 I. 03/21 13:19:24. [pe...

is it necessary use Same login account in both remote DB and Consolidation DB?
since the default login is "dba" in ASA and "sa" in MS-SQL , should i need to change it? any different if i dont change it? you shouldn't have to, but keep in mind this is well known and leaves your database open to not only be read by unauthorized people, but also to be manipulated by people who don't even have access to your application. Thomas <carson> wrote in message news:41ab11ed.165f.1681692777@sybase.com... > since the default login is "dba" in ASA and "sa" in MS-SQL , > should i need to change it? any differ...

Failed Inserts at Remote DB sent up to Consolidated DB during sync.
we run ASA8.0.2.4339 we've got a scenario where we are dumping the contents of certain tables from the Consolidated database into text files of the format 'insert into table_name...'. we are then using the generic 'read' command at the remote to read the insert statements. we *expect* many of these to fail because the Remote database already contains those records, thus we have ON_ERROR = 'off'...the problem for us is that even when these inserts fail with a 'UNIQUE' (primary key) at the Remote database, it seems that upon its next synchronizat...

Mobilink error with Syncing to Production Oracle DB
Ok so here is the scenario. We have two developers using the developer edition of Mobilink to sync to a consolidated Oracle DataBase using SqlAnywhere. The mobilink Version is "SQL Anywhere MobiLink Server Version 11.0.1.2331" Everything works fine in the two development environments. One dev environment is Windows 7 x64 and Oracle 11g r1. The other is xp x86 and Oracle 10gr2. Both work fine and are syncing with a replica of the production database(took a dump file from the production server). We are now in a beta state and are trying to set up the synchronization ...

How to rebuild a consolidated DB with mobilink remote replication
I have a 11gb ASA 9.0.1.1841 consolidated db on a Win2000 Server box. I have 15 remote ASA databases replicating using Mobilink. I'm having a corrupted primary key index problem now and would like to do a database rebuild at some point but am unsure how. I know about dbunload -ar, but in the help section talking about rebuilding replicated databases, it only mentions SQLRemote and not Mobilink. Are there any papers or can someone provide the steps from rebuilding my database? Thanks Scott -- __________________________________________ SoftSystem Solutions, LLC 18 Ridge Road...

Using Oracle 9.2.0 as consolidated db and UltraLite as remote db?
Hello, <Use Oracle 9.2.0 as consolidated db and UltraLite as remote db> Is the above combination possible? Thank you, Yes. We run tests almost day that synchronize both ASA Clients (i.e. dbmlsync) and UltraLite clients to Oracle consolidated databases (v9.0.2 and v8.1). You'll want to check out http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1011880 for the list of recommended ODBC drivers. -- Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8 Please reply only to the newsgroup iAnywhere Developer Community : http://...

Web resources about - Use mobilink to sync remote PC DB with central DB - sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink

Taking A Different Tack, Nimbuzz Chat Startup Partners With Pakistan Operator Mobilink
... to be simply disruptive to operators, especially WhatsApp and Viber. Others are taking a different tack. Today Pakistan telecom giant Mobilink ...

Twitter Help Center - How To Find Your Twitter Short Code or L
Twitter is without a doubt the best way to share and discover what is happening right now.

Islamabad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Coordinates: 33°43′N 73°04′E  /  33.717°N 73.067°E  / 33.717; 73.067 Coordinates : 33°43′N 73°04′E  /  33.717°N 73.067°E  / 33.717; 73.067 ...

Telecoms News - Business
... Network Has Bank Accounts Frozen by Tax Authorities May 25th 2012 - 10:00 GMT The local bank accounts of Pakistan's mobile network, Mobilink ...

Mobilink Employees on Google+ - Hamid to Alvi
See 328 Google Plusers that you might want to check out and follow. Connect with individuals like Saad Hamid a Digital Media on Google Plus with ...

The Importance Of Urdu
Urdu the national language of Pakistan is fast losing its importance in the land of the pure.the language which united the muslims in the sub ...

Twitter: From Fail Whale To Blank Timelines…
What exactly is happening with Twitter? I have been ignoring the troubles with it for almost a week now, given the number of fail whales with ...

Twitter Help Center - How To Find Your Twitter Short Code or L
Twitter is without a doubt the best way to share and discover what is happening right now.

Systems Architect on Google+ - Otte to Brown
Discover 2 Google Plusers that you could follow. Follow people like Greg Otte a Systems Architect in United States with 19 followers. Or connect ...

General Manager
See 1 Google Plusers that you might want to check out and follow. Connect with individuals like Pilar Carames a General Manager in Puerto Rico ...