SQLAnywhere + Mobilink Mass Deployment

Hello all,

I downloaded the developer edition of SQL Anywhere and so far I am impressed
with the product.

We are evaluating SQL Anywhere + Mobilink as a solution in a consumer
product deployment.  I am wondering if there has been any experiences with
this.  Primarily, we are concerned about putting the SQL Anywhere DB and the
Mobilink client down on many desktops where we will not have control of the
machine's configuration.

Is the product robust to handle this situation without a lot of specialized
configuration?

Thanks,
Ben

0
Sybase
2/28/2007 7:10:58 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink 5254 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Sybase" <bgreenberg@neatreceipts.com> wrote in
news:45e5d3c2@forums-1-dub of sybase.public.sqlanywhere.mobilink:

S> I downloaded the developer edition of SQL Anywhere and so far I am
S> impressed with the product.
S>
S> We are evaluating SQL Anywhere + Mobilink as a solution in a consumer
S> product deployment.  I am wondering if there has been any experiences
S> with this.  Primarily, we are concerned about putting the SQL Anywhere
S> DB and the Mobilink client down on many desktops where we will not
S> have control of the machine's configuration.
S>
S> Is the product robust to handle this situation without a lot of
S> specialized configuration?

SQL Anywhere is the #1 deployed software in this market for exactly this
reason.

When you begin with SQL Anywhere (you never stated which version you
will be deploying), make sure you begin with the latest and greatest.

If you using 10.x, this means:
    10.0.0 + 10.0.. current EBF (Express Bug Fixes)

If you using 9.x, this means:
    9.0.2 + 9.0.2 current EBF (Express Bug Fixes)
--
David Fishburn
Certified ASA Developer Version 8

EBFs and Maintenance Releases
http://downloads.sybase.com/

Developer Community / Whitepapers
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer

CaseXpress - to report bugs
http://casexpress.sybase.com

CodeXchange - Free samples
http://ianywhere.codexchange.sybase.com/servlets/ProjectDocumentList

0
David
3/1/2007 1:54:51 PM
David,

Thanks for the response.

You mentioned that the starting with the "latest and greatest" version could
include version 9.  We have been looking at version 10 exclusively.  Why
would one want to use version 9 over version 10?

Thanks,
Ben

"David Fishburn" <fishburn_spam@off.ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> "Sybase" <bgreenberg@neatreceipts.com> wrote in
> news:45e5d3c2@forums-1-dub of sybase.public.sqlanywhere.mobilink:
>
> S> I downloaded the developer edition of SQL Anywhere and so far I am
> S> impressed with the product.
> S>
> S> We are evaluating SQL Anywhere + Mobilink as a solution in a consumer
> S> product deployment.  I am wondering if there has been any experiences
> S> with this.  Primarily, we are concerned about putting the SQL Anywhere
> S> DB and the Mobilink client down on many desktops where we will not
> S> have control of the machine's configuration.
> S>
> S> Is the product robust to handle this situation without a lot of
> S> specialized configuration?
>
> SQL Anywhere is the #1 deployed software in this market for exactly this
> reason.
>
> When you begin with SQL Anywhere (you never stated which version you
> will be deploying), make sure you begin with the latest and greatest.
>
> If you using 10.x, this means:
>    10.0.0 + 10.0.. current EBF (Express Bug Fixes)
>
> If you using 9.x, this means:
>    9.0.2 + 9.0.2 current EBF (Express Bug Fixes)
> --
> David Fishburn
> Certified ASA Developer Version 8
> iAnywhere Solutions - Sybase
> Professional Services
> Please only post to the newsgroup
> Please ALWAYS include version and MORE importantly BUILD number with
> EACH post (dbeng9 -v).
>
> EBFs and Maintenance Releases
> http://downloads.sybase.com/
>
> Developer Community / Whitepapers
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
>
> CaseXpress - to report bugs
> http://casexpress.sybase.com
>
> CodeXchange - Free samples
> http://ianywhere.codexchange.sybase.com/servlets/ProjectDocumentList

0
Ben
3/2/2007 4:06:16 PM
"Ben Greenberg" <bgreenberg@neatreceipts.com> wrote in
news:45e84b78@forums-1-dub of sybase.public.sqlanywhere.mobilink:

BG> You mentioned that the starting with the "latest and greatest" version
BG> could include version 9.  We have been looking at version 10
BG> exclusively.  Why would one want to use version 9 over version 10?

My comment meant you should be using the most current version of which
ever software you purchased.

Version 10 is of course improved over version 9, so I would always use
it if I had a choice.

--
David Fishburn
Certified ASA Developer Version 8
iAnywhere Solutions - Sybase
Professional Services
Please only post to the newsgroup
Please ALWAYS include version and MORE importantly BUILD number with
EACH post (dbeng9 -v).

EBFs and Maintenance Releases
http://downloads.sybase.com/

Developer Community / Whitepapers
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer

CaseXpress - to report bugs
http://casexpress.sybase.com

CodeXchange - Free samples
http://ianywhere.codexchange.sybase.com/servlets/ProjectDocumentList

0
David

Mobilink SqlAnywhere 11
I migrated a pocketbuilder app from 2.0 and sql anywhere 9 to 2.5.1 and sql anywhere 11. When I try to connect to a database I get "SQLSTATE = IM003 [SYBASE][ODBC Driver Loader]Unable to load driver dbodbc10.dll" I imagine dbodbc10.dll is for sql anywhere 10 because I found a dbodbc11.dll in the PDA windows directory. How can I make powerbuilder use sql anywhere 11? By default, PK assumes the driver as dbodbc10.dll. Make sure that your DSN (or connection) has an entry for DRIVER=<fullpath for dbodbc11.dll>. OCF wrote: > I migrated a pocketbuilder app fr...

Using a MobiLink enabled database for non-MobiLink deployment
MobiLink 10.0.1.3712 Would there be any known issues/consequences using a database that has been setup for MobiLink if the application will not be participating in synchronization? We deploy an empty database as a template with each release of our software that may or may not need the synhronization aspect. I was thinking that it would be easiest to maintain the template with MobiLink installed (all ml_* tables and views), all the sync scripts in place, and just not have any MobiLink users defined or subscriptions. The consolidated database doesn't get the publications, s...

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

Mass Deploy of DB, automation of MobiLink
We are using PocketPB 2.01 and ASA v9.01.1964. I am still new to the Pocket PC and am looking for some insights or direction for automating some of the tasks needed to deploy databases and ML updates to our (future) handhelds. We will be deploying to about 25 handhelds very shortly. Is the only way to deploy a database (not software, but db files) to a handheld other than ActiveSync? Is there a way to push the database to a PocketPC device? Or allow the handheld network rights to copy the files over as you would do with a desktop? Also, we would like to refresh data automati...

MobiLink Deployment
ML Sync 8.0.2.4122 on Win2000 I am testing to deploy the following solution: Consolidated: MS SQL Server 2000 ML Sync 8.0.2.4122 on Win2000 remote: UltraLite on Palms with OS >= 4. Sync over network, e.g. db and ML Sync on server, tcpip network, hotsync via a computer in the network. I only want to install the files necessary for MobiLink sync on the server, not the complete ASA. When trying to add ML user on the server with the command line tool, I get the following error. "Unable to load UNILIB collation 1252: error 9" What is missing/wrong? Carl_And...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

Deploying Mobilink
Hi, Are there any merge modules for InstallShield that I can use to deploy Mobilink? Or do I just distribute the files manually? Thanks Ben Heaver "Ben Heaver" <ben@streets-heaver.com> wrote in news:3fb0d66e$1@forums-2-dub: BH> Are there any merge modules for InstallShield that I can use to BH> deploy Mobilink? Or do I just distribute the files manually? Have you looked at: MobiLink Synchronization Reference Deploying MobiLink Applications In the 9.x documentation? -- David Fishburn NEW - Certified ASA Developer Version 8 iAn...

Failed to synchronize through Mobilink (SQLAnywhere 8.0.2 3601)
Hello I have test the application from him. He has problems to synchronize through TCP/IP. Version SQLAnywhere is 8.0.2 3601 I have test the application it is working and sychronizing when I connect a pocketpc though a cradle with activesync to the laptop. In this situation I can synchronize to mobilink. When I used the same procedure and try to synchronize when I connect the pocketpc with a cradle to another laptop in the same LAN I cannot synchronize I see nothing on the mobilink verbosing screen. So obvious nothing is hapening. I can ping the mobilink machine from the co...

SQLAnywhere 12: MobiLink Agent on Windows Mobile device, database not created
I am currently researching the possibility of upgrading an existing MobiLink 11 client application that running on Windows Mobile 5 or 6 to ML12 and enhance its maintainability by deploying the mobilink agent. For this purpose, I would like to do a bootstrapping of the client database through central administration in Sybase Central. I created a task "Remote database" that does the following: 1. Drop the existing database (on failure, continue) 2. Create database "{db_location}\mydatabase.db" 3. Execute SQL, which contains the entire load script for the db sch...

Mobilink
I have created scripts for uploading and downloading data. When I test the scripts I get no errors but when I exit the mobilink manager I get an error: Error while opening the "Synch Tables" container. General Error What should I do? What version and more importantly build number of ASA are you using? What version of the ML plugin are you using, this can be retrieved from the Tools->Plugins from the ML Manager. You can so download the EBF for 6.0.3 from below and try that. -- David Fishburn Sybase Please only post to the newsgroup Sybase Developers Network...

Mobilink
Hi, I'm using dbeng7 7.0.4(3396) and dbhsync7.dll(dmc). I did a migration=20 from dbeng6 6.0.3(2747).. I want to know if is necessary to start the mobilink server everytime I=20 execute the hotsync, or the dbhsync7.dll do it. This is because my application doesn=B4t synchronize if mobilink server it= =B4s=20 not running. With the dbhsync6.dll I didn=B4t have to start the mobilink.. Thanks in advance. Oscar_G. wrote in news:7D8968B7027F03A8006BECE085256C9F.006BECF785256C9F@webforums: > Hi, I'm using dbeng7 7.0.4(3396) and dbhsync7.dll(dmc). I did a > migration fr...

mobilink
im using mobilink component to do sync between 2 asa Db's but from component and cmd prompt alsogetng message as waiting for upload acknoladgement..then its not responding i have done it severtims succesfuli and made some changes on DB..can you do me some help.i did this with a new fresh db but didnt workout...plz help me.. kamal bandara wrote in news:46b30adb.3834.1681692777@sybase.com of sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder: kb> im using mobilink component to do sync between 2 asa Db's kb> but from component and cmd prompt alsogetng message as kb> waiting for uplo...

Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11
Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11? Jorge, From: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html ======== Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an optional step because the version 11 software ...

About MobiLink
Dear sirs, What is the MobiLink? Can I raise a question about Ultra-Lite in this forum? Thanks in advance, Bill Lui E-mail : luichiming@hotmail.com MobiLink is a synchronization technology that Sybase has developed that allows you to: 1. Develop and UltraLite application OR An application that uses the full version ASA as a remote database 2. Synchronize the database from the remotes (ASA and UltraLite) to a consolidated database (so far we have tested Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, DB2 and of couse Sybase ASE and ASA. The MobiLink technology was introduced in ASA 6...

Web resources about - SQLAnywhere + Mobilink Mass Deployment - sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere