Mobilink server 11 with 9.02 Mobilink System tables

We have a application now in production which uses Mobilink 9.02 with same
build ultralite clients and uses Oracle consolidated database. Now if we
develop a solution for Blackberry using UltraliteJ which is available only
in sqlanywhere version 11 . What are the options we have to deploy this on
the same consolidate DB

1) msrv11.exe will it start on the consolidated DB with 9.02 mobilink system
tables ?
2) Can we resuse the same scripts if we use the same script version in
UltraliteJ client ?
3) If the answer is no what are the suggested approch

TIA
John Yovas

0
John
11/10/2008 9:08:14 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink 5254 articles. 0 followers. Follow

John,

John Yovas wrote:
> We have a application now in production which uses Mobilink 9.02 with same
> build ultralite clients and uses Oracle consolidated database. Now if we
> develop a solution for Blackberry using UltraliteJ which is available only
> in sqlanywhere version 11 . What are the options we have to deploy this on
> the same consolidate DB
>
> 1) msrv11.exe will it start on the consolidated DB with 9.02 mobilink system
> tables ?

No, the version 11 MobiLink server cannot use the v9 system tables. You
have to upgrade the system tables on the conoslidated to be
v11-compatible. Specifically, you should run the script
"%SQLANY11%\MobiLink\Upgrade\9.0.2\upgrade_ora.sql" against the Oracle
consolidated.

> 2) Can we resuse the same scripts if we use the same script version in
> UltraliteJ client ?

You should be able to - the MobiLink event scripts are executed against
the consolidated and thus should behave the same way. This is of course
all theory; you should thoroughly test this configuration before
deploying to production.

Regards,

--
Jeff Albion, SQL Anywhere Engineering
Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
0
Jeff
11/10/2008 9:27:59 PM
"John Yovas" <john@ez-data_NOSPAM.com> wrote in
news:4918a2be$1@forums-1-dub of sybase.public.sqlanywhere.mobilink:

JY> We have a application now in production which uses Mobilink 9.02
with
JY> same build ultralite clients and uses Oracle consolidated database.
JY> Now if we develop a solution for Blackberry using UltraliteJ which
is
JY> available only in sqlanywhere version 11 . What are the options we
JY> have to deploy this on the same consolidate DB
JY>
JY> 1) msrv11.exe will it start on the consolidated DB with 9.02
mobilink
JY> system tables ?

You would have to upgrade the system tables to SA 11.x.

JY> 2) Can we resuse the same scripts if we use the same script version
in
JY> UltraliteJ client ?

Yes.

JY> 3) If the answer is no what are the suggested approch

You must also start the ML server with -x and -xo and use 2 different
ports.

If you don't want to change your existing ML apps, then you would do
something like this:

mlsrv11 -xo tcpip(port=2439) -x tcpip(port=50000) ...

All 9.0.2 apps continue to use port 2439, all new ULJ apps must
specify port 50000.

--
David Fishburn
Certified ASA Developer Version 8

EBFs and Maintenance Releases
http://downloads.sybase.com/

Developer Community / Whitepapers
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer

Case-Express - to report bugs
http://case-express.sybase.com

CodeXchange - Free samples
http://ianywhere.codexchange.sybase.com/servlets/ProjectDocumentList

Documentation
http://dcx.sybase.com/

0
David
11/10/2008 9:28:02 PM
Thanks . Just a follow up question if we upgrade the system tables to SA
11.x Will I be able to start dbmlsr9 on 11.x tables ?.I know we can start
mlsrv11 with -xo . This is just to avoid  testing the old ML apps with new
mobilink server. Is this setup supported?

Thanks,
John Yovas

"David Fishburn" <fishburn_spam_off@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> "John Yovas" <john@ez-data_NOSPAM.com> wrote in
> news:4918a2be$1@forums-1-dub of sybase.public.sqlanywhere.mobilink:
>
> JY> We have a application now in production which uses Mobilink 9.02
> with
> JY> same build ultralite clients and uses Oracle consolidated database.
> JY> Now if we develop a solution for Blackberry using UltraliteJ which
> is
> JY> available only in sqlanywhere version 11 . What are the options we
> JY> have to deploy this on the same consolidate DB
> JY>
> JY> 1) msrv11.exe will it start on the consolidated DB with 9.02
> mobilink
> JY> system tables ?
>
> You would have to upgrade the system tables to SA 11.x.
>
> JY> 2) Can we resuse the same scripts if we use the same script version
> in
> JY> UltraliteJ client ?
>
> Yes.
>
> JY> 3) If the answer is no what are the suggested approch
>
> You must also start the ML server with -x and -xo and use 2 different
> ports.
>
> If you don't want to change your existing ML apps, then you would do
> something like this:
>
> mlsrv11 -xo tcpip(port=2439) -x tcpip(port=50000) ...
>
> All 9.0.2 apps continue to use port 2439, all new ULJ apps must
> specify port 50000.
>

> --
> David Fishburn
> Certified ASA Developer Version 8
> iAnywhere Solutions - Sybase
> Professional Services
> Please only post to the newsgroup
> Please ALWAYS include version and MORE importantly BUILD number with
> EACH post (dbeng11 -v).
>
> EBFs and Maintenance Releases
> http://downloads.sybase.com/
>
> Developer Community / Whitepapers
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
>
> Case-Express - to report bugs
> http://case-express.sybase.com
>
> CodeXchange - Free samples
> http://ianywhere.codexchange.sybase.com/servlets/ProjectDocumentList
>
> Documentation
> http://dcx.sybase.com/

0
John
11/11/2008 2:06:00 AM
"John Yovas" <john@ez-data_NOSPAM.com> wrote in
news:4918e888$1@forums-1-dub of sybase.public.sqlanywhere.mobilink:

JY> Thanks . Just a follow up question if we upgrade the system tables to
JY> SA 11.x Will I be able to start dbmlsr9 on 11.x tables ?.I know we can
JY> start mlsrv11 with -xo . This is just to avoid  testing the old ML
JY> apps with new mobilink server. Is this setup supported?

I don't believe so, but you can try it.

--
David Fishburn
Certified ASA Developer Version 8
iAnywhere Solutions - Sybase
Professional Services
Please only post to the newsgroup
Please ALWAYS include version and MORE importantly BUILD number with
EACH post (dbeng11 -v).

EBFs and Maintenance Releases
http://downloads.sybase.com/

Developer Community / Whitepapers
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer

Case-Express - to report bugs
http://case-express.sybase.com

CodeXchange - Free samples
http://ianywhere.codexchange.sybase.com/servlets/ProjectDocumentList

Documentation
http://dcx.sybase.com/

0
David
11/11/2008 3:23:27 PM
No, it's not supported. Here's what you'll see instead:

=====
E. 11/11 10:23:51. <Main>: Error: [-10002] ODBC: [Sybase][ODBC
Driver][SQL Anywhere]Column 'commit_state' not found (ODBC State =
42S22, Native error code = -143)
E. 11/11 10:23:51. <Main>: Error: The MobiLink system table 'ml_user' is
missing column 'commit_state'
I. 11/11 10:23:51. <Main>: MobiLink server finished
=====

We highly recommend the -xo route for backwards compatibility once you
move to v11.

Cheers,