mobilink general working

I have read the mobilink help but still do not understand how it works.
I would appreciate if someone could help me with these questions in the
situation we upload the consolidated database from a desktop remote
database.

1.  dbmlsync is the program which creates the upload stream?

2. to create the upload stream the information send to the consolidated
database is taken from the log file and not from the db file.

3. because the data comes from the log file the sync software knows
which records are deleted at the remote database.

Is this correct?

Thanks

Eric
0
Eric
6/7/2005 4:44:25 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink 5254 articles. 0 followers. Follow

There are two types of remotes with Mobilink Sychronization,
ASA databases and UltraLite applications (and their databases).

>     1.  dbmlsync is the program which creates the upload stream?

Yes. It also receives the download stream and applies that as well.

dbmlsync is only used with ASA databases.  UltraLite's run time
libraries do synchronization through a different mechanism.

> 2.     to create the upload stream the information send to the
> consolidated database is taken from the log file and not from the db file.

Correct.  The log is scanned and converted in memory before uploading.

> 3.     because the data comes from the log file the sync software knows
> which records are deleted at the remote database.

That is a (small) part of it, but UltraLite synchronization also knows
about any deletions that have occurred.

As asked, I am not certain what may be concerning you
about those deletes.

"Eric Verhorstert" <eric.verhorstert@farm.nl> wrote in message
>I have read the mobilink help but still do not understand how it works. I
>would appreciate if someone could help me with these questions in the
>situation we upload the consolidated database from a desktop remote
>database.
>
> 1.  dbmlsync is the program which creates the upload stream?
>
> 2. to create the upload stream the information send to the consolidated
> database is taken from the log file and not from the db file.
>
> 3. because the data comes from the log file the sync software knows which
> records are deleted at the remote database.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Thanks
>
> Eric

0
Nick
6/7/2005 5:07:59 PM
I printed and read the help file. The part "How the upload stream is
processed" then "Procossing deletes after inserts and updates" is confusing.

Here I understand that the order in which the update stream is processed
is not the same in which the information is in the log file.

Text in the help file is:
"The upload stream is formatted so all operations for a single table are
grouped together"  and  "deletes are applied after all inserts and
updates have been applied".

This is what I understand:
In our application we delete a record, do a commit and then insert a new
one and do a commit. This record has the same promary key as the one we
deleted. In the upload stream first the new insert is done (this is
probably not possible because the primary key already exists) and then
the delete is done. So, after synchronisation I am missing a record.

Is this correct?

Thanks
Eric

Nick Elson wrote:
> There are two types of remotes with Mobilink Sychronization,
> ASA databases and UltraLite applications (and their databases).
>

>>    1.  dbmlsync is the program which creates the upload stream?
>

> Yes. It also receives the download stream and applies that as well.
>
> dbmlsync is only used with ASA databases.  UltraLite's run time
> libraries do synchronization through a different mechanism.
>

>>2.     to create the upload stream the information send to the
>>consolidated database is taken from the log file and not from the db file.
>

> Correct.  The log is scanned and converted in memory before uploading.
>

>>3.     because the data comes from the log file the sync software knows
>>which records are deleted at the remote database.
>

> That is a (small) part of it, but UltraLite synchronization also knows
> about any deletions that have occurred.
>
> As asked, I am not certain what may be concerning you
> about those deletes.
>
> "Eric Verhorstert" <eric.verhorstert@farm.nl> wrote in message
>
>>I have read the mobilink help but still do not understand how it works. I
>>would appreciate if someone could help me with these questions in the
>>situation we upload the consolidated database from a desktop remote
>>database.
>>
>>1.  dbmlsync is the program which creates the upload stream?
>>
>>2. to create the upload stream the information send to the consolidated
>>database is taken from the log file and not from the db file.
>>
>>3. because the data comes from the log file the sync software knows which
>>records are deleted at the remote database.
>>
>>Is this correct?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Eric

0
Eric
6/8/2005 6:13:59 AM
The MobiLink client dbmlsync merges all changes made to a row since
the last synchronization into a single "final version" of the row. So,
a delete followed by an insert will be uploaded as an insert.

FYI: Rows are identified by primary key value, so take care not to
update the primary key value of any row on the remote.

Also, the foreign key structure on the *remote* database is used to
control the order in which uploaded changes are applied on the
*consolidated* database. In other words, parent table rows are
inserted before child rows, and the opposite order is used for
deletes.

Breck

On 7 Jun 2005 23:13:59 -0700, Eric Verhorstert

--
SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
Buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20

But if a delete, followed by an insert is uploaded as an insert then we
probably should check if the primary key exists and then update the
record instead of insert.

Is that the way to handle?

Thanks,

Eric

Breck Carter [TeamSybase] wrote:
> The MobiLink client dbmlsync merges all changes made to a row since
> the last synchronization into a single "final version" of the row. So,
> a delete followed by an insert will be uploaded as an insert.
>
> FYI: Rows are identified by primary key value, so take care not to
> update the primary key value of any row on the remote.
>
> Also, the foreign key structure on the *remote* database is used to
> control the order in which uploaded changes are applied on the
> *consolidated* database. In other words, parent table rows are
> inserted before child rows, and the opposite order is used for
> deletes.
>
> Breck
>

> On 7 Jun 2005 23:13:59 -0700, Eric Verhorstert
> <eric.verhorstert@farm.nl> wrote:
>

>>I printed and read the help file. The part "How the upload stream is
>>processed" then "Procossing deletes after inserts and updates" is confusing.
>>
>>Here I understand that the order in which the update stream is processed
>>is not the same in which the information is in the log file.
>>
>>Text in the help file is:
>>"The upload stream is formatted so all operations for a single table are
>>grouped together"  and  "deletes are applied after all inserts and
>>updates have been applied".
>>
>>This is what I understand:
>>In our application we delete a record, do a commit and then insert a new
>>one and do a commit. This record has the same promary key as the one we
>>deleted. In the upload stream first the new insert is done (this is
>>probably not possible because the primary key already exists) and then
>>the delete is done. So, after synchronisation I am missing a record.
>>
>>Is this correct?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Eric
>>
>>Nick Elson wrote:
>>
>>>There are two types of remotes with Mobilink Sychronization,
>>>ASA databases and UltraLite applications (and their databases).

>>>Yes. It also receives the download stream and applies that as well.
>>>
>>>dbmlsync is only used with ASA databases.  UltraLite's run time
>>>libraries do synchronization through a different mechanism.

>>>Correct.  The log is scanned and converted in memory before uploading.

>>>That is a (small) part of it, but UltraLite synchronization also knows
>>>about any deletions that have occurred.
>>>
>>>As asked, I am not certain what may be concerning you
>>>about those deletes.
>>>
>>>"Eric Verhorstert" <eric.verhorstert@farm.nl> wrote in message

> --
> SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
> Buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
> bcarter@risingroad.com
> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
> www.risingroad.com
0
Eric
6/8/2005 12:05:14 PM
OOOPS! I should have written this:

  a delete followed by an insert will be uploaded as an update

Sorry for the confusion.

Breck Apparently Needs More Sleep

On 8 Jun 2005 05:05:14 -0700, Eric Verhorstert

--
SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
Buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
bcarter@risingroad.com
RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
www.risingroad.com
0
Breck
6/8/2005 1:06:42 PM
Eric Verhorstert <eric.verhorstert@farm.nl> wrote in news:42a68ca7@forums-1-
dub:

> This is what I understand:
> In our application we delete a record, do a commit and then insert a new
> one and do a commit. This record has the same promary key as the one we
> deleted. In the upload stream first the new insert is done (this is
> probably not possible because the primary key already exists) and then
> the delete is done. So, after synchronisation I am missing a record.
>
> Is this correct?

No. A delete followed by an insert with the same primary key should be
uploaded as an update operation by MobiLink.

Shuchit
0
Shuchit
6/8/2005 1:33:32 PM
Reusing primary keys can be a source of confusion and complexity
and is also a practice you may want to design out as well.

There may be good reason in the application logic to allow this
to occur, but too often designers reuse keys because of artificial
criteria that should not be modeled in the database.

Often it is also an indication of a bad design decision. Take the
standard example of the case where part numbers are reused for
different parts or even just newer models of the same part.  Instantly
you have lost control over your inventory [Do I have  12 pieces of the
old part? Or 12 pieces of the new part? Or do I have N pieces of one
and 12-N pieces of the other???] and may ship the wrong part to
the customer.

>I printed and read the help file. The part "How the upload stream is
>processed" then "Procossing deletes after inserts and updates" is
>confusing.
>
> Here I understand that the order in which the update stream is processed
> is not the same in which the information is in the log file.
>
> Text in the help file is:
> "The upload stream is formatted so all operations for a single table are
> grouped together"  and  "deletes are applied after all inserts and updates
> have been applied".
>
> This is what I understand:
> In our application we delete a record, do a commit and then insert a new
> one and do a commit. This record has the same promary key as the one we
> deleted. In the upload stream first the new insert is done (this is
> probably not possible because the primary key already exists) and then the
> delete is done. So, after synchronisation I am missing a record.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Thanks
> Eric
>
> Nick Elson wrote:
>> There are two types of remotes with Mobilink Sychronization,
>> ASA databases and UltraLite applications (and their databases).
>>

>>>    1.  dbmlsync is the program which creates the upload stream?
>>

>> Yes. It also receives the download stream and applies that as well.
>>
>> dbmlsync is only used with ASA databases.  UltraLite's run time
>> libraries do synchronization through a different mechanism.
>>

>>>2.     to create the upload stream the information send to the
>>>consolidated database is taken from the log file and not from the db
>>>file.
>>

>> Correct.  The log is scanned and converted in memory before uploading.
>>

>>>3.     because the data comes from the log file the sync software knows
>>>which records are deleted at the remote database.
>>

>> That is a (small) part of it, but UltraLite synchronization also knows
>> about any deletions that have occurred.
>>
>> As asked, I am not certain what may be concerning you
>> about those deletes.
>>
>> "Eric Verhorstert" <eric.verhorstert@farm.nl> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have read the mobilink help but still do not understand how it works. I
>>>would appreciate if someone could help me with these questions in the
>>>situation we upload the consolidated database from a desktop remote
>>>database.
>>>
>>>1.  dbmlsync is the program which creates the upload stream?
>>>
>>>2. to create the upload stream the information send to the consolidated
>>>database is taken from the log file and not from the db file.
>>>
>>>3. because the data comes from the log file the sync software knows which
>>>records are deleted at the remote database.
>>>
>>>Is this correct?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Eric

0
Nick

Mobilink Works?
Hi, We are trying to implement Mobilink to Sync two databases. One is in the HQ and the other is very far away. We were doing some labs, but we had a couple of problems. 1=2E- We backup the database everyday, so the log is cut. After this Mobilink isn't working anymore, it can't find the last sync point. Suggestions? 2=2E- When we could make it work we had the following error: 13:47:09. <1.5> [Mobilink]: Error: [-10002] ODBC: [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]No primary key value for foreign key 'palletencab_spro_palletfruta' in table ...

Mobilink
I have created scripts for uploading and downloading data. When I test the scripts I get no errors but when I exit the mobilink manager I get an error: Error while opening the "Synch Tables" container. General Error What should I do? What version and more importantly build number of ASA are you using? What version of the ML plugin are you using, this can be retrieved from the Tools->Plugins from the ML Manager. You can so download the EBF for 6.0.3 from below and try that. -- David Fishburn Sybase Please only post to the newsgroup Sybase Developers Network...

Mobilink
Hi, I'm using dbeng7 7.0.4(3396) and dbhsync7.dll(dmc). I did a migration=20 from dbeng6 6.0.3(2747).. I want to know if is necessary to start the mobilink server everytime I=20 execute the hotsync, or the dbhsync7.dll do it. This is because my application doesn=B4t synchronize if mobilink server it= =B4s=20 not running. With the dbhsync6.dll I didn=B4t have to start the mobilink.. Thanks in advance. Oscar_G. wrote in news:7D8968B7027F03A8006BECE085256C9F.006BECF785256C9F@webforums: > Hi, I'm using dbeng7 7.0.4(3396) and dbhsync7.dll(dmc). I did a > migration fr...

mobilink
im using mobilink component to do sync between 2 asa Db's but from component and cmd prompt alsogetng message as waiting for upload acknoladgement..then its not responding i have done it severtims succesfuli and made some changes on DB..can you do me some help.i did this with a new fresh db but didnt workout...plz help me.. kamal bandara wrote in news:46b30adb.3834.1681692777@sybase.com of sybase.public.pocketpowerbuilder: kb> im using mobilink component to do sync between 2 asa Db's kb> but from component and cmd prompt alsogetng message as kb> waiting for uplo...

How begin work with mobilink ?
Hi I have for example 5 databases. And i want start working with mobilink. I write scripts etc. But why i may generate first version of consolidate dabase ? My logs on remotes is now not full (from begining life of database), because sometimes is deletes. May i start synch on any remote ? And now i get full consolidate database ? Fantom "Fantom" <szczukot@skasujto.poczta.onet.pl> wrote in news:4368744b$1@forums- 1-dub: > Hi > I have for example 5 databases. And i want start working with mobilink. I > write scripts etc. But why i may generate first ver...

What is MobiLink up to?
It is important to keep Mobilink running. Can someone please give me some pointers on how I can check on MobiLink and make sure it is still running, and what it is doing? (Connecting, Idle, Crashed) Thanks -Floyd I don't think there is anything in ML that will do what you want. If it is idle, it simply waits for a sync request to come in. If it is busy, it could be 1 or 100 threads that are working away. There is no way to ping the ML Server to see if it is active. Can you outline what you want to know and why and I can filter these to our development team. The best...

Mobilink
Is it possible to run two instances of Mobilink on the same machine? Will they run independently side by side monitoring different ports without affecting each other? Laura Keaveney wrote: > Is it possible to run two instances of Mobilink on the same machine? > Will they run independently side by side monitoring different ports > without affecting each other? Yes, it is possible. When running multiple ML servers on the same machine, I'd always suggest specifying the port you are using, even if it's the default port. mlsrv11 -x tcpip(port=2638) -c "dsn=Co...

Kill MobiLink session via MobiLink Monitor
It should be possible to kill an individual MobiLink session. Breck Thanks Breck. It's on our wishlist, but no promises. Cheers, Graham Breck Carter wrote: > It should be possible to kill an individual MobiLink > session. > > Breck ...

What is MobiLink?
Hi, I am new to mobile computing, I know Mobilink is synchronization technology, is it equal to M-Business Anywhere product ? Or M-Business Anywhere product use the MobiLink technology ? Please advise. Thanks. Derek wrote: > > I am new to mobile computing, I know Mobilink is synchronization technology, > is it equal to > M-Business Anywhere product ? Or M-Business Anywhere product use the > MobiLink technology ? > No, MobiLink and M-Business Anywhere are separate products. You can implement similar solutions with them ("mobile" data col...

About MobiLink
Dear sirs, What is the MobiLink? Can I raise a question about Ultra-Lite in this forum? Thanks in advance, Bill Lui E-mail : luichiming@hotmail.com MobiLink is a synchronization technology that Sybase has developed that allows you to: 1. Develop and UltraLite application OR An application that uses the full version ASA as a remote database 2. Synchronize the database from the remotes (ASA and UltraLite) to a consolidated database (so far we have tested Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, DB2 and of couse Sybase ASE and ASA. The MobiLink technology was introduced in ASA 6...

MobiLink ??
hi How can use MobiLink synchronization asa and oracle or other database ?? The Mobilink Synchronization server makes an ODBC connection to the consolidate database (in your case Oracle). Remote clients (ASA clients in your case) will connect to the Mobilink Synchronization server to upload and download changes. I'd suggest going through the tutorial in the Replication and Synchronization Guide (Chapter 6). The tutorial uses ASA as the consolidated, but once you understand the concepts, remember that the Synchornization server is just using an ODBC connection to the co...

Mobilink SqlAnywhere 11
I migrated a pocketbuilder app from 2.0 and sql anywhere 9 to 2.5.1 and sql anywhere 11. When I try to connect to a database I get "SQLSTATE = IM003 [SYBASE][ODBC Driver Loader]Unable to load driver dbodbc10.dll" I imagine dbodbc10.dll is for sql anywhere 10 because I found a dbodbc11.dll in the PDA windows directory. How can I make powerbuilder use sql anywhere 11? By default, PK assumes the driver as dbodbc10.dll. Make sure that your DSN (or connection) has an entry for DRIVER=<fullpath for dbodbc11.dll>. OCF wrote: > I migrated a pocketbuilder app fr...

mobilink work with midp?
hi i tried writing an app with j2me for palm os 3.5 using an ultralite db about a year ago, only to find out that sql anywhere studio 8 couldn't support the mobilink server. is this now possible with version 9? if not, can i do this with asa db? do i have any other options? tks Nancy Drew wrote: > > i tried writing an app with j2me for palm os 3.5 using an ultralite db about > a year ago, only to find out that sql anywhere studio 8 couldn't support the > mobilink server. It isn't the ML server that is unsupported by MIDP, it is UltraLite. The p...

Mobilink 8.0.3 vs Mobilink 12
Hi Everyone, Can you please provide me a checklist of features between these two Mobilink versions, 8.0.3 and 12. Thanks in advance. Please see the "Changes and Upgrading" section in the help documentation. It breaks out these details. -chris On 9/25/2010 9:20 AM, Allan Cartagenas wrote: > Hi Everyone, > > Can you please provide me a checklist of features between > these > two Mobilink versions, 8.0.3 and 12. > > Thanks in advance. ...

Web resources about - mobilink general working - sybase.sqlanywhere.mobilink

Taking A Different Tack, Nimbuzz Chat Startup Partners With Pakistan Operator Mobilink
... to be simply disruptive to operators, especially WhatsApp and Viber. Others are taking a different tack. Today Pakistan telecom giant Mobilink ...

Twitter Help Center - How To Find Your Twitter Short Code or L
Twitter is without a doubt the best way to share and discover what is happening right now.

Islamabad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Coordinates: 33°43′N 73°04′E  /  33.717°N 73.067°E  / 33.717; 73.067 Coordinates : 33°43′N 73°04′E  /  33.717°N 73.067°E  / 33.717; 73.067 ...

Telecoms News - Business
... Network Has Bank Accounts Frozen by Tax Authorities May 25th 2012 - 10:00 GMT The local bank accounts of Pakistan's mobile network, Mobilink ...

Mobilink Employees on Google+ - Hamid to Alvi
See 328 Google Plusers that you might want to check out and follow. Connect with individuals like Saad Hamid a Digital Media on Google Plus with ...

The Importance Of Urdu
Urdu the national language of Pakistan is fast losing its importance in the land of the pure.the language which united the muslims in the sub ...

Twitter: From Fail Whale To Blank Timelines…
What exactly is happening with Twitter? I have been ignoring the troubles with it for almost a week now, given the number of fail whales with ...

Twitter Help Center - How To Find Your Twitter Short Code or L
Twitter is without a doubt the best way to share and discover what is happening right now.

Systems Architect on Google+ - Otte to Brown
Discover 2 Google Plusers that you could follow. Follow people like Greg Otte a Systems Architect in United States with 19 followers. Or connect ...

General Manager
See 1 Google Plusers that you might want to check out and follow. Connect with individuals like Pilar Carames a General Manager in Puerto Rico ...