Upgrade failed from 9.0.2 to 10 failed with error "not enough memory"

Hi all
        Upgrade from ASA 9.0.2 to ASA 10.0.0.2465 failed

'dbunload -c "dbf=sucursal.db,uid=DBA,pwd=xxxx" -an sucursal10.db'

SQL Anywhere Unload Utility Version 10.0.0.2465

Connecting and initializing

***** SQL error: Not enough memory to start

Operating System: Redhat 4  -  2.6.18.6 (kernel version)

Gblic:   2.3.4

RAM= 8Gb

Any help or idea will be welcome ?

Thanks in advance

Pablo Benavidez

0
pbenavid
4/12/2007 10:10:36 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.linux 1065 articles. 0 followers. Follow

My first step is always to check whether the error was accurate. You stated
that the machine has 8GB of RAM, but I don't see how much as physically
available at the time. Have you checked that?

I agree that "not enough memory" type errors are often misleading, but let's
rule out the obvious first before we go looking for other possible causes.

Robert Waywell
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
Sybase Certified Professional

Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
 choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports:
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

"pbenavid" <pbenavid@sybase.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>        Upgrade from ASA 9.0.2 to ASA 10.0.0.2465 failed
>
> 'dbunload -c "dbf=sucursal.db,uid=DBA,pwd=xxxx" -an sucursal10.db'
>
> SQL Anywhere Unload Utility Version 10.0.0.2465
>
> Connecting and initializing
>
> ***** SQL error: Not enough memory to start
>

> Operating System: Redhat 4  -  2.6.18.6 (kernel version)
>
> Gblic:   2.3.4
>
> RAM= 8Gb
>
> Any help or idea will be welcome ?
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Pablo Benavidez

0
Rob
4/13/2007 4:07:15 PM
Yes sory I checked this:
I have 7.6Gb free and 4Gb of Swap

Please do you have any advice or troubleshooting idea to diagnose the
situation?

regards

Pablo Benavidez
pbenavid@sybase.com

"Rob Waywell" <rwaywell_no_spam_please@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> My first step is always to check whether the error was accurate. You
> stated that the machine has 8GB of RAM, but I don't see how much as
> physically available at the time. Have you checked that?
>
> I agree that "not enough memory" type errors are often misleading, but
> let's rule out the obvious first before we go looking for other possible
> causes.
>
> --
> Robert Waywell
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Developer - Version 8
> Sybase Certified Professional
>
> Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
>
> Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
>
> EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
> choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
>
> To Submit Bug Reports:
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug
>
> SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
> http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
>
> "pbenavid" <pbenavid@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all
>>        Upgrade from ASA 9.0.2 to ASA 10.0.0.2465 failed
>>
>> 'dbunload -c "dbf=sucursal.db,uid=DBA,pwd=xxxx" -an sucursal10.db'
>>
>> SQL Anywhere Unload Utility Version 10.0.0.2465
>>
>> Connecting and initializing
>>
>> ***** SQL error: Not enough memory to start
>>

>> Operating System: Redhat 4  -  2.6.18.6 (kernel version)
>>
>> Gblic:   2.3.4
>>
>> RAM= 8Gb
>>
>> Any help or idea will be welcome ?
>>

>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Pablo Benavidez

0
pbenavid
4/13/2007 4:46:33 PM
It looks like dbunload is getting confused by the amount of memory
available in the system. The engine itself handles the case where there
is more memory in the system than a 32-bit process can address but I
just looked at the code for dbunload and it is adding a cache size
parameter (-ch) based on the total available memory in the system. I'll
report the bug.

-john.
--
John Smirnios
Senior Software Developer

Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at http://www.ianywhere.com/developer

pbenavid wrote:
> Hi all
>         Upgrade from ASA 9.0.2 to ASA 10.0.0.2465 failed
>
> 'dbunload -c "dbf=sucursal.db,uid=DBA,pwd=xxxx" -an sucursal10.db'
>
> SQL Anywhere Unload Utility Version 10.0.0.2465
>
> Connecting and initializing
>
> ***** SQL error: Not enough memory to start
>

> Operating System: Redhat 4  -  2.6.18.6 (kernel version)
>
> Gblic:   2.3.4
>
> RAM= 8Gb
>
> Any help or idea will be welcome ?
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Pablo Benavidez

0
John
4/13/2007 6:54:18 PM
FYI, as a workaround, you can do the upgrade on a windoze machine; the
..DB files are binary portable between Linux and windoze.

Breck

--
Breck Carter [Team iAnywhere]
RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services