what 's the difference between databases(db) with log files and without log files?

I used to use a database with log files, but now I must install the database
to many client machines, and I find there will be errors when the log file
is just copied instead of backuped.so I want to use a database without log
files.But will there be any disadvantages?

thanks for your help!

ps:I find after I backup a database(db) with log files to a database without
log files, the new database is useless,I mean I cann't connect to it!

Orion

0
Orion

Hi

Using a log file will be good, (performance and safety
as logs can be used for recovery from corruption)
but it must be stored at the location specifed in th DB
we have no problems when we copy the DB and Log
together on a different machine

You can change the location of the log or remove the Log
with the DBLOG command but if you have taken
an online backup then the log must exist in the
original path to allow to to make the change as because
when the DB comes up it may rollback/recover prior
to doing anything...

The last resort is to bring up your online backed up DB with
the dbengx/dbsrvx -F (force) switch. In this the DB will come up and
go down immediately and then you can bring up again as usual

HTH

Sanjay
sminni_news@minisoftindia.com
www.minisoftindia.com

"Orion" <remoter@263.net> wrote in message
> I used to use a database with log files, but now I must install the
database
> to many client machines, and I find there will be errors when the log file
> is just copied instead of backuped.so I want to use a database without log
> files.But will there be any disadvantages?
>
> thanks for your help!
>
> ps:I find after I backup a database(db) with log files to a database
without
> log files, the new database is useless,I mean I cann't connect to it!
>
> Orion

0
Sanjay
10/17/2000 6:23:00 AM
I would not recommend this.  The disadvantages are great.  That log file is
not just a convenience, much of the fault-tolerance and speed of SQLAnywhere
comes from the log file.  They do offer the option of running without a log,
but they don't encourage you.  If someone switches the machine off in the
middle of a database operation, you are a lot better off if you have a log
file.  In general any transactional database system (other than Interbase)
really does need a transaction log to live up to its full promise of
reliability and stability.

We distribute a lot of databases (100's) and we either shut down the
database before copying .db and .log or we just backup the database and make
multiple copies of the backup.  It really isn't that much trouble and the
heavy-duty fault-tolerance is worth it.  Some of our users routinely shut
down their netware servers by unplugging them!  In 5 years we have not had
one unrecoverable error.  I doubt we would have had the same scenario
without a log file.

good luck,

wilf silversides

0
wilf
10/17/2000 4:23:18 PM
Log files are highly recommended for these reasons:

1) Performance
2) Recoverability.  If your db should become corrupt, you can go to a backup database and use log
files to bring it forward to the current point, losing no data.

Regarding your troubles with logs, keep these points in mind:

1) the log goes with the database.  If you shut the db down, you can restart a copy of it later
without a log at all (in which case it will start a new log) or you can continue to use the same log
that was in use when it was shut down.

2) If, when you start the db, it finds a log file that does not match the db, the db will fail to
start.  By "match" I mean that it must be the log must have the ending offset that the db has
recorded in its own table.  The db knows what to expect, and accepts no substitutes.

3) the location of the log is specified in the db file, so if the location is "\tranlog\mydb.log"
then the log must be located in the "tranlog" subfolder of whatever folder holds the db.

4) Things get a little more complicated with dbbackup, depending upon the options you use.  In any
case, to open a dbbackup'd database, you need to have the correct log in place. That will usually be
the log that was active when dbbackup was run.  However, if you have also backed up the tran log,
you can use that log, but heed this:  do not open the backed-up database for any reason until you
have backed up the backup.   The reason:  opening the db will extend its log file.  Then, the db
cannot be used for recover with the log file that is still being used as your current live
transaction log.  Clear as mud?

I'll differ with Wilf on one bit.  I haven't heard or read anything from Sybase to suggest that the
integrity of the database is enhanced through use of the transaction log.  In order to get the same
integrity from a log-less db, ASA will write dirty pages at every commit.  This is what hurts
performance in this scenario.

>I used to use a database with log files, but now I must install the database
>to many client machines, and I find there will be errors when the log file
>is just copied instead of backuped.so I want to use a database without log
>files.But will there be any disadvantages?

>thanks for your help!

>ps:I find after I backup a database(db) with log files to a database without
>log files, the new database is useless,I mean I cann't connect to it!

Leo Tohill - Team Sybase
>> Please post in newsgroup, not via email <<
Useful links:
Downloads: http://www.sybase.com/developer/mobile/
Submit Bug Reports: http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug
0
leotohill
10/18/2000 12:56:12 AM
> ps:I find after I backup a database(db) with log files to a database
without
> log files, the new database is useless,I mean I cann't connect to it!

for this you can see the thread
"online backup database not starting without log 6.sep.00

> Orion

0
Sanjay

Cannot open transaction log file Can't use log file "JUDIC.LOG" since its shorter than expected
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4ca971d0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear Sybase support Team, I tried to start a service in Sybase but all I was getting was =93Cannot open transaction log file Can't use log file "JUDIC.LOG" since its shorter than expected=94 . Tried to google out for some solutions , but all I was getting , were Sybase errors with no solutions. I kindly seek your help on what might have been the cause and the solution to the problem. Your...

Transaction Log Files/Virtual Log Files
I am wanting to reduce the amount of Virtual Log Files I have. In reading through the Online Book Documentation, I realize that I have forgotten to move the Transaction Log Files to a different drive. Now that the server is in production, I wanted to get some input about the best way of making this change. Can I just change the directory the log files are being written to in the DB properties without having any adverse problems occurring?Willhttp://www.strohlsitedesign.com/http://www.WillStrohl.com/ changing the logfile location is probably going to require to to get single user acc...

How store ultralite10's database file(.udb file) in wince emulator's store card?
i use ultralite10(develop version) in vs2005 with wm5.0 emulator. i find i can't store .udb file in emulatotr store card.it will make a "SQLE_MEMORY_ERROR", why happened this? what should i do so i can may the .udb file in emulator's store card? We haven't had any issues with this. You can post more details about how you attempted to connect or open a tech support case Mike > We haven't had any issues with this. You can post more > details about how you attempted to connect or open a tech > support case > > Mike > > t...

.LOG file is larger than the .DB file!?
I just noticed that our LOG file is 75 megs while the DB is 41 megs. Hmmm... I have a feeling something is wrong. Should I remedy this? The log is simply the history of changes to your database. It will continue to grow until you TRUNCATE the log. Once all pending transactions are committed and the database is backed up, you can safely clear the log. My process is to shutdown the database nightly, backup the files, truncate the log (DBERASE command) and start the database. If you can make sure everyone gets off the database, you can use the DBBACKUP command to automatically tr...

No more to delete Log file and start it with new log file
Hi we are running Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0. But, Since April , we can not backup them, selecting the option(:Starting DB with new Log file). After back up the DB(about 3 GB), Log(about 1.9GB) and then it says "Waiting for transations to complete..", Waiting for transations to complete.."... How can we start DB with new Log file? any other solutions? Thank you for your help: ======== chungih1@paran.com You may want to send this to one of the IAnywhere newsgroups and not EAServer. -Kevin "I.H.Chung" <chungih1@paran.com> wrote in me...

how to transfer log files between servers and search these log files?
Hi Everyone, I have one Windows server.I have five Linux servers.These five Linux servers produces log files. Each log files contains informations such as domain name, first name, last name, etc. Question 1: Can I write an ASP.NET application for the Windows server so that this ASP.NET application can transfer all the specified date(from 05/22/2006 to 06/22/2006) log files from these five Linux servers to the Windowns server?  If so, how to write this ASP.NET applicationfor transfering log files? Question 2: After we transfter all the log files from these five Linux servers to the Wi...

Log files not logging
I have been given responsiblity for running our BorderManager 3.6 system. The server is no longer doing any logging. The last log file is dated August 13 2004. I just took this over. It is BM 3.6. Does anyone have any ideas where to look? Thanks Scott The administration of the log files is located in NWAdmin - select the Bordermanager Setup Tab - highlight HTTP Proxy - click on details - there is a Logging tab there that will tell you where the files are located and for how long, etc. Somtimes I have to go in and clean the logfiles out of the volume - if the volume ...

The log file for database 'databasename' is full
I go to webstone.com and have error: ================================== The log file for database 'jwhite' is full. Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The log file for database 'jwhite' is full. Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space. ========================...

An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY.
Oups I have this message .... When I upload my portal .... What can I do ?Jerome FORTIAS on SAP Microsoft Web & Integration Consultant http://portal.go4consulting.net (powered by DNN) Make certain that the directory to which the application resides has the proper permissions (ie: Win2K = ASPNET, Win2K3 = NETWORK SERVICE). For easy of setup these objects should have full control of the directory.~ChrisNet Data Design706Horsman.us I dont know but my hosting company confirmed to me that's my host plan includes a .net supportJerome FORTIAS on SAP Microsoft Web & Integration Consul...

An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY.
I have moved my site to a new server but I am getting the following message.An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY.I have the ASP.NET user having FULL Permissions on every file/folder in the site.  But I'm noticing some files get set to Read-Only.  I reset every file to Read/Write and within a hour something is set back to read only.  ...

An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY. #2
Why I recever this error, I'm loged with Host An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY. Do you have Read/Write/Change access rights to the DotNetNuke directories? Providers\DataProviders\AccessDataProvider and Providers\DataProviders\SQLDataProvider: SQL Script logs are written hereBruce F. Gagliolo Jr.Information Technology ConsultantThe future starts today, not tomorrow. - Pope John Paul II Yes it's a local instalation, where is de log files ? Make ...

An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY. #3
Help, I rebuild sigama pro-2.0 , then it goes the error: An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY. Then I install DNN 2.1.2 clean, the error still there. Anybody, Help!...

Help! An error has occurred writing to the exception log. The permissions are not set properly on the log file or directory, or the log file has been marked as READ-ONLY.
I got this message with no more information which can help me to continue to trace. I know this is from http://localhost/DotNetNuke/components/Exceptions/XMLExceptionPublishervb.vb and Catch exc As UnauthorizedAccessException. I don't know which file is accidently set to READ ONLY due Host site and Loacl Machine download/upload transmission. Somebody can help me there? Please Willi, the file in question is in portals/_default/logs/ The message is referring to not being able to write out the exception. You will need to set the file permissions on the entire folder that DNN reside...

Web resources about - what 's the difference between databases(db) with log files and without log files? - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Can You Spot the Difference?
The shamelessness on the part of Lenovo is almost breathtaking. Update: And then there’s Samsung’s new TV interface : white frosted translucent ...

Sole difference in tourism stakes
A GIANT blue stiletto heel dubbed Taiwan’s “shoe church” is bringing a touch of oversized glamour to the island’s southern coast.

CES 2016: Netflix expands to new countries, predicts end of regional differences
'We want the citizens of the world to have the same content': Netflix believes it will eliminate regional availability in the next 'five or 10 ...

iOS App Store brings in 75% more revenue than Play Store despite difference in downloads
... app store. The iOS App Store now earns 75 percent more revenue than the Google Play Store. This is an increase over the 70 percent difference ...

Is There Much Difference, Policy-Wise, Between Cruz, Rubio, Herr Trumpf And Ryan?
... Cruz or Rubio gets into the White House, we are in deep, deep trouble. Time to redouble our efforts for the one candidate who can make a difference ...

Sanders on differences with Clinton highlighted in campaign ad - Videos - CBS News
Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders joins “CBS This Morning” from Burlington, Vermont, to discuss his latest campaign ad that explains ...

In year one, Rauner learned difference between statehouse and boardroom
One year after Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner took over as Illinois' chief executive, the private equity investor and rookie politician who pledged ...