Using Open Client

Hi all.

I have always used ODBC to connect my PB apps to ASA (if I remember well,
for a long time it was the only possible way to connect). I have never used
Open Client. Can this be considered a "native" driver for ASA?. Are there
any advantages in using it instead of ODBC? Is there a place (besides ASA's
documentation) where I could learn how to use it? I would appreciate any
information on these matters.

TIA

Diego Marrero

0
Diego

OpenClient is not native to ASA. OpenClient is provided to allow for
compatibility to Adaptive Server Enterprise (ASE). ASA alters its behaviour
to be more consistent with ASE when connections are made using OpenClient.
More specifically, it is the protocol, TDS or tabular data set,  that
OpenClient uses that triggers that compatiblity mode. This is the same
protocol used by jConnect. ODBC has not been the only connectivity option
for ASA albeit it was one of the most common methods.

You will not be able to connect from PowerBuilder to ASA using an OpenClient
connection as PB. See http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1011154 for more
details.

The only advantage in using openclient that I can see is if you want the ASA
install to act as much like ASE as possible.

To learn more about OpenClient, refer to the ASE documentation.
--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*
Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

*

iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

*

"Diego Marrero" <diego@vegati.com> wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> I have always used ODBC to connect my PB apps to ASA (if I remember well,
> for a long time it was the only possible way to connect). I have never
used
> Open Client. Can this be considered a "native" driver for ASA?. Are there
> any advantages in using it instead of ODBC? Is there a place (besides
ASA's
> documentation) where I could learn how to use it? I would appreciate any
> information on these matters.
>
> TIA
>
> Diego Marrero

0
Chris

how to use open client in powersite?
hi, i have a problem about how to use open client in powersite. when i use a htmlDatawindow ActiveX object , it only use a ODBC database connection. i want to use a store procedure on a Sybase SQL Server. the following error is appears : ERROR: Retrieve Failed = -1 ***** Select error: SQLSTATE = 01S01 [INTERSOLV][ODBC SQL Server driver]Error in row. My store procedure is : ******************** create procedure p_test @code varchar(2) as begin create table #abc(a integer) end That looks like a Microsoft ODBC driver not a Sybase ASE Driver. Dave Wolf Internet...

Problem Using Open Client with ASA7
From the ASA 7 help file,I find that ASA 7 can be used as an open server,so i run dbsrv7 and use dsedit to setup a connecttion.In my desedit I Can ping the ASA server successfully,but when I using isql to confirm the connecttion, it return an error with ct_connect,error number is -75.I create the database as emulating ASE.And,the open client and isql is the one shiped by ASE 11.9.2. Could you give me some advice? Another Qustion,could PB 7 using DIR driver connect to ASA 7? Thanks a lot. Your dsedit entry for the ASA server must have the same name as the databas...

Using Open Client libraries in PowerSite
When I create a html datawindow, I only have the choice of ODBC for database connectivity. Is it possible to use Open Client instead ? Basant You'll have to modify the generated DynsScript to use the OpenClient named cache. Dave Wolf Internet Applications Division GDI <basant_g@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:fNVzqd0S$GA.164@forums.sybase.com... > When I create a html datawindow, I only have the choice of ODBC for database > connectivity. Is it possible to use Open Client instead ? > > Basant > > Thanks Dave, I will try that...

Secure communications using Open client
I want to make a secure connection between my client application (PB 5.0.2) and SQL Server 11.0.2 (Open VMS) or SQL Server 11.0.3 (Win NT) and using Open Client (11.1.x). Is it possible with this configuration? If No what do I have to change? � Jan Eijlers P.S. Please also reply to eijlers@casema.Net ...

using Open Client from a multi threaded method
I am using Open Client in a method that is getting called from a multi-threaded application that is running on True64 Unix. I am linking with the following libraries: LIBRARIES=-lpthread -lpthreads /usr/sybase/OCS-12_0/devlib/libct_r.a \ /usr/sybase/OCS-12_0/devlib/libcs_r.a \ /usr/sybase/OCS-12_0/devlib/libtcl_r.a \ /usr/sybase/OCS-12_0/devlib/libcomn_r.a \ /usr/sybase/OCS-12_0/devlib/libintl_r.a \ -lm However, I continue to get the following unresolved: Unresolved: clock_gettime sem_init sem_destroy sem_wait sem_trywait sem_post Does anyone have any clue as to what ...

MASP client/Open Client
We are using Oracle 8x as our db. Our datawindow selects and updates are completed via stored procs. Does this make them a jag MASP client - If so, if we switch from using the Oracle native drivers to ODBC - do we have to configure Open Client? (there is a bit of a write up about this on p. 48 of Installation Guide sent with PB 7 but I don't know if it applies to non-sybase dbs) -- Jenine Serviolo 757.865.8440 x116 MASP refers to the way the client talks to Jaguar, it has nothing to do with database access that the server or components may make. You need Open Clie...

Password Encryption through Open Client using Delphi
I am going to develop a client application using Delphi 6 Enterprise Edition to access Sybase using Open Client with password encryption feature. I have read passages on how to do password encryption through Open Client. However, it looked like C code. Can anyone enlighten me on how and where to put the password encryption codes in my Delphi program. I am quite sure it should be somewhere around the database component property. But I don't know what exactly to do. Thanks for your help. ...

Dates using ODBC vs. Open Client connection
My HTML Datawindow retrieve works using an ODBC connection string to ASE 11.5, but fails to return data with a SYJ Open Client connection. The date parameter passed to RetrieveEx is the same format ( "1999-10-27" ). The same Datawindow retrieval works in PowerBuilder using SYC Open Client connection with same format date argument. Why should the Open Client connection in PD behave differently? Thanks. Helen Seabrook wrote: > My HTML Datawindow retrieve works using an ODBC connection string to ASE > 11.5, but fails to return data with a SYJ Open Client conn...

Opening Default Mail Client using VB.NET
Hi Guys, I am new to this forum. I have a quick question about Default Mail Client. I am using VisualStudio.Net2003 and Language VB. I am trying to open a default mail client with the click of a button. Here is my code  system.diagnostics.process.start("mailto:address@domain.com") I am getting the following error The parameter is incorrect StackTrace at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithShellExecuteEx(ProcessStartInfo startInfo) "Any Idea..? the same code when i used with Visual Studio.Net2005 it works. Appreciate your help Thanks You're coding for asp.ne...

Open Outlook at Client side using Asp.net
Hi All,   I want to Open a outlook from asp.net. and i want fill up some information in that when it will open.. Can i do that using ASp.net ??? Many Thanks.. Hi,Mailto: Function Mailto: is not actually an HTML tag but a separate program you can use from within HTML tags. It creates a link that allows the user to write and send an email to a specified address. You can even specify multiple addresses by separating each one with a comma and space. The mailto function is supported by all major browsers. ...

Error opening some files using the Netware Client for Vista
Hi, When I try to open a .dbf file with a memo field (contained in an associated ..fpt file), the application returns a read error when the file is stored on a netware volume.and when the workstation is running Vista with the Netware client 1.0 for Vista (August 2007). But : The same file can be opened succesfully on the local disk of the Vista workstation. The same file can be opened succesfully from the netware volumes with an XP workstation running. The same file can be opened succesfully from a Windows 2003 server volume with the Vista workstation We have 2 Netware ...

Use of Open Client Connection Cache through PB Component
Hi We've been accessing an ODBC connectioin cache through our PB components quite successfully. We're in the process of switching to an Open Client connection cache. We've set up the cache using Jaguar Manager and are able to ping it successfully. Through PB, we're setting the following in the Transaction objects instance: itr_trans.DBMS = "SYJ" itr_trans.DBParm = "UseContextObject='Yes',CacheName='<cache_name>'" We fail on the statement Connect Using itr_trans The Jaguar log indicates the following error l...

Must I set up open client when I use MASP DTC?
I only have asa db.how can I do? ...

can i use Open-Client Caches in Java components?
Can i use Open-Client for connecting to the database and use that ConnectionCache in my Java Components. No, use jConnect. Dave Wolf Internet Applications Division sanjay wrote: > Can i use Open-Client for connecting to the database and use that > ConnectionCache in my Java Components. --------------9FAEE78C196F7EF56F03AF12 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi David, I also found this in the jaguar documentation(text at the end of the mail), At the top it mentions that we can connect components to databases using ...

Web resources about - Using Open Client - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Fat client - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the name is contrasted to thin client , which describes a computer heavily dependent on a server's applications. A fat client still requires ...

Facebook Forms EMEA Client Council
Facebook announced the formation of its EMEA Client Council in a post in Spanish on the Facebook for Business page by vice president for Europe, ...

Facebook hires: Carsabi team, head of policy France, marketing mix science lead, client partners and ...
... Manager (Prineville) Chief Facility Engineer (Prineville) SMB Associate, French (Dublin) User Operations – Contract (Menlo Park) Client ...

Dropbox dumps popular email client Mailbox and photo service Carousel
Facing growing competitive pressures, Dropbox has dumped two of its flagship products, including smart email pioneer Mailbox.

Acquire Learning casts 'a very dark shadow' over its clients
The desperate and jobless are sold hope, but all they are buying is debt "You can hear it in how these clients talk," says a former call-centre ...

Never Complain To Clients Or Adversaries
Even trial lawyers that learn and have fun all the time deal with frustrations and have their gripes. But we should never share those gripes ...

Huge Creates New Global CMO, Client Services Roles
... Managing Directors Patricia Korth-McDonnell and Eric Moore into the newly created global roles of chief marketing officer and president-client ...

Dropbox is shutting down Mailbox, the popular email client
Dropbox acquired Mailbox, the extremely popular email client, way back in 2013, and unfortunately it's now time to say goodbye. That's right, ...

Chatting with coworkers, clients, friends and others is easy as Pie
... uses your companys domain). This also means that you can now set up teams to chat with people outside your company, including partners, clients, ...

Apple Says U.K. Surveillance Law Would Endanger All Clients
Apple Inc. outlined its opposition to a proposed U.K. surveillance law, saying threats to national security don’t justify weakening privacy and ...