URGENT: "cannot connect to database" error message?

On particular clients, I cannot connect to database through either the PB
app using ODBC or throug ISQL (Watcom 4.e client). On my machine, the
connection is fine. I've compared odbc and odbcinst files, and the data
sources are the same. The network server is up and running. What is the
cause? What steps should I take to verify every possibility. I am sure that
it is a simple ODBC configuration, but I can't see it!!!!! Please help

Thanks

Stephane

0
Stephane

Make sure you have the stack configured on the client.  To 'debug' the
problem add "-Z" to the start command line.  For example: dbclient -x IPX
MyServer -Z
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dealer Solutions, LLC
Houston, TX
0
Jim
4/30/1998 8:17:41 PM
I only have access to dbclienw and it doesnt have -z switch. How else can I
debug the connection?
What is the stack configuration?
This is what happens when I run the dbclienw without any swithces....
watcom sql network rquestor ver4e
windows link    ok
dde link            ok
ipx link
netbios link
tcpip link            ok
netdg link
starting with 200 buffers of size 512 bytes

startup error
unable to start---server not found

Thanks

Stephane

Jim Egan wrote in message <01bd747e$419dbdc0$a301a8c0@jegan>...
>Make sure you have the stack configured on the client.  To 'debug' the
>problem add "-Z" to the start command line.  For example: dbclient -x IPX
>MyServer -Z
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamPS]
>Dealer Solutions, LLC
>Houston, TX

0
Stephane
5/1/1998 2:53:11 PM
I figured how to run the -Z switch and these are the results:

windows link ok
dde link         ok
ipx link            could not load NWIPXSPX.DLL, file not found
netbios link    no valid adapter numbers found
tcpip link        ok
netdg link        no valid addapter numbers found
starting with 200 buffers of size 512 bytes
sending broadcast
using broadcast address of : ???
My IP address is: received WM_Close
I am in a class b network
using broadcast address of : ???

then messagebox appears with: startup error unable to start---server not
found

Jim Egan wrote in message <01bd747e$419dbdc0$a301a8c0@jegan>...
>Make sure you have the stack configured on the client.  To 'debug' the
>problem add "-Z" to the start command line.  For example: dbclient -x IPX
>MyServer -Z
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamPS]
>Dealer Solutions, LLC
>Houston, TX

0
Stephane
5/1/1998 3:31:58 PM
What network protocol is the server running?  If IPX is the protocol then
the client needs to have IPX/SPX properly installed on it.
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dealer Solutions, LLC

Good luck

Jim Egan wrote:

> What network protocol is the server running?  If IPX is the protocol then
> the client needs to have IPX/SPX properly installed on it.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamPS]
> Dealer Solutions, LLC
> Houston, TX

0
Dave

"Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded." error message
Hello Sybase User Experts, I like to find out the cause of this error message "Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded." Do you have any idea about this? What is the cause and how to solve this problem?! Your answer or idea to this error message will be a great help to me. Thank you in advance. Regards, Beverly Beverly, First of all, what database server are you using? And how are you connecting to it? -- Regards, Millard[TeamSybase] <Beverly> wrote in message news:3f7932b1.1356....

"Not connected to SQL Database" Error Message
Hello All ! Last night, I left ISQL running on my machine. This morning, when I went to run a query in ISQL, I got the message: "Not connected to SQL Database". I understand the message pretty clearly. But, can anyone tell me at what point is a connection "dropped"? After how long? and lastly, what can I do to prevent or extend the time before I lose the connection? Thanks in advance, Everett In the online help you can look at the connection parameters by searching on "DBSRV50". The parameter you want to modify is "-ti". Here is ...

Error message " Error in destination Database"
Everytime I run a script that was written by a programmer a year ago, I get an error message "Error in Destination Database". Basically I am achieving my database. This script does run on our production network but, when we changed the name of our sever in the *.ini file to run on the development side we get this error. This is our setup: PB 5.0 running on Win NT 4.o to Informix running on an Unix (Solaris 6) system. Please I need help! If you need more info please write ASAP. In article <RoG7oyR1#GA.169@forums.sybase.com>, pgoins@gbar.com says... > Everyt...

Mail pseudo-error
In a brand new XP system with Netscape 7.1, sending mail (not news) results in the "delivering mail" window, followed soon after by a window headed "Send Message Error" with text "Sending of Message Failed" followed by an indication that the SMTP server refused to handle it. BUT THE MESSAGE *IS* sent successfully! The "delivering message" window ends up saying "Mail sent successfully", with the progress bar still moving because the error message is still there. Closing the error message window closes the "delivering" w...

"Access database" and "Login error"
Hey guys,I'm trying to get an Access database to be the location of the username/password combinations. I've done it is as far as I can tell, but I'm now stuck with the following error.These are some of things I have doneSet up the database in ODBC under the name "OdbcServices"Put the database in the "App_data" folder in the website directoryThanks for any help that you guys can give about the error.The Naked Programmer------------------------------------------ Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the proc...

upgrade error:"CONNECTIVITY ERROR:DB-Library: "SQL Server connection timed out."
PLEASE HELP OH WISE SYBASE GURUS! upgrading 11.9.2 to 12.0. unloaded software. rebooted server. selected "upgrade server" in Configure Sybase Servers window. typed in sa password. got "CONNECTIVITY ERROR: DB-Library: "SQL Server connection timed out." -- Chuck Boyce chuck_boyce@operamail.com http://www.geocities.com/chuck_boyce_jr/ Yahoo Messenger ID: chuck_boyce_jr http://messenger.yahoo.com AOL Instant Messenger ID: sg95m476 http://www.aol.com/aim/ ICQ Messenger ID: 41449031 http://www.icq.com ...

"connections to SQL server files (*.mdf)" error message in Visual studio when adding a new SQL database
Hope you can help. Running Visual Studio 2005 and SQLServer2005.  I have created a new project and am attempting to add a new SQL database to it.  When I select the SQL database I get an "Connections to SQL server files (*.mdf) requires SQL Server Express to function properly" error message.  I also tried to add an existng database and it errors out as well "The file can not be opened as it is being used by another process.....".  However, I can create a new data source connection to existing SQL databases.  One caveat though.  I can ...

"Sent" instead of "Drafts" in error message
I was just composing a message when Internet connection was lost. An error message complained that the message could not be copied to the Sent folder. After some trying, I understood that obviously the Drafts folder was meant. I'm using latest-comm-1.9.1 ... Is there a bug on this yet? I think this should be fixed for release. We're already string-frozen for the next beta, right? :-| Jens M´┐Żller wrote: > I was just composing a message when Internet connection was lost. An > error message complained that the message could not be copied to the > Sent folder. After s...

error message: "General network error. Check your network documentation."
I am getting the error below when I try to bind data to a drop down box using data adapter. This error is random. I have been getting the same type of error when I used data reader. Anyone knows how to prevent these generic network errors? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- General network error. Check your network documentation. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code...

Any solution for error message "Could not attach file 'App_Data\Database.mdf' as database 'Database'."?
Hello, I'm trying to connect to Database.mdf from an asp.net file and I get the following error message:    Could not attach file 'App_Data\Database.mdf' as database 'Database'.   CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master' The connection string I use is:    Provider=SQLNCLI;Server=localhost\SQLExpress;AttachDbFilename=App_Data\Database.mdf;Database=Database;Trusted_Connection=Yes Thanks!!!Ornit Hi, that's because your account doesn't have enough priviledge on the database server.Use Sqlserver management studio to add the necesso...

Problem in Connecting Database. error " SQL Server does not allow remote connections."
Hi Forum, Heres the scenario. I have VS2008 and SqlServer Enterprise Edition installed in my machine. I connect to the database inside the same machine using VS2008. I opened the project my client gave me inside vs2008. When I ran the project, the it runs. but the aspx page to be displayed shows error like  'Problem in Connecting Database. error " SQL Server does not allow remote connections." ' I have db and vs in the same machine ( no remote machine involved). Why does this error came? How to Rectify it? Any guidelines are de...

The famous "General network error. Check your network documentation." error message
Been struggling with this one for a while. It seems to be a popular topic of discussion in several forums, however, all suggested fixes have failed to work for me. I've tried setting POOLING=FALSE. I've also tried setting CONNECTION RESET=FALSE. Although both of these have allowed me to keep a connection open for slightly longer, after a while I would get the familiar "General network error. Check your network documentation." error message. It seems that, in general, SQL 7.0 / ADO .NET does not like it when you keep connections open for more than a half hour, even if you are c...

"Transaction not connected" error trying to connect to an ODBC database via PB7 Com in MTS
Non-database com object in MTS works aok, but connecting to a MSSQL Server database fails with "Transaction not connected" error. Seems like a rudimentary issue. Any tutorials or white papers re PB7/MSSqlServer 6.5/MTS? Any help apprecicated. -bac More details... DTS IS running on SQL Server. "Robert A. Chauvin" wrote: > Non-database com object in MTS works aok, but connecting to a MSSQL > Server database fails with "Transaction not connected" error. > > Seems like a rudimentary issue. > > Any tutorials or white pap...

Services don't start automatically ("Database cannot be started -- I/O error" or "Database cannot be started -- No such file or directory")
My situation is: ..server: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2 ..database server : Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0.2.4372. Windows starts automatically 32 services ASA, one database in each service If I start each service in manual everything is ok. When I restart the server, four service (always four!!!) don't start correctly with two kind of error: "Database cannot be started -- I/O error" "Database cannot be started -- No such file or directory" The services that don't start are not the same. I tried many times and everytime the problem is on...

Web resources about - URGENT: "cannot connect to database" error message? - sybase.sqlanywhere.general