Upgrading from SQL Anywhere 8 to SQL Anywhere 11

I am upgrading from SQL Anywhere 8 to SQL Anywhere 11.  I am
using the "Unload" wizard in Sybase Central.  I am choosing
the option "Unload and reload into a new database."

After following the wizard, the new database does get
created BUT it won't load the structure and data from the
old database into the newly created database.  I get a ***
User Authentication Failed *** message.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Rommel
0
Rommel

Rommel,

I assume you're using the OEM version of our v11 software? In this
scenario, the message means that you're running a non-authenticated
database on an authenticated engine.

In order to create an authenticated database automatically a
initialization time, you'll need to create a file in the \scripts
directory called "authenticate.sql" that has two statements in it:

======
SET OPTION PUBLIC.database_authentication =
'company=company-name;application=application-name;signature=database-signature'
go
======

The company-name and application-name arguments are the values you
supplied to Sybase when obtaining your signature, and database-signature
is the database signature that you received from Sybase.

See the documentation for more details:
http://dcx.sybase.com/1100en/dbadmin_en11/running-authenticating-your-database.html
http://dcx.sybase.com/1100en/dbadmin_en11/running-s-4632203.html

Cheers,

--
Jeff Albion, Engineering
Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
0
Jeff
9/17/2008 9:55:10 PM
I followed your advice and read the documentation.  But I
still get the authentication message.  I think our problem
is this, SQL Anywhere 8 is not authenticated so it doesn't
have any authentication string because that version does not
require authentication.  So if I try to use the SQL 11
wizard to unload, it creates the authenticated SQL 11 db,
but when it tries to connect to the SQL 8 db to unload data
and structure, that's when I get the authentication error.
Anyway around this?  It seems like Sybase Central 11 can
only open an authenticated database.

Thanks,
Rommel

> Rommel,
>
> I assume you're using the OEM version of our v11 software?
> In this  scenario, the message means that you're running a
> non-authenticated  database on an authenticated engine.
>
> In order to create an authenticated database automatically
> a  initialization time, you'll need to create a file in
> the \scripts  directory called "authenticate.sql" that has
> two statements in it:
>
> ======
> SET OPTION PUBLIC.database_authentication =
> 'company=company-name;application=application-name
> ;signature=database-signature' go
> ======
>
> The company-name and application-name arguments are the
> values you  supplied to Sybase when obtaining your
> signature, and database-signature  is the database
> signature that you received from Sybase.
>
> See the documentation for more details:

http://dcx.sybase.com/1100en/dbadmin_en11/running-authenticating-your-database.html

http://dcx.sybase.com/1100en/dbadmin_en11/running-s-4632203.html

> Cheers,
>
> Rommel Badua wrote:
> > I am upgrading from SQL Anywhere 8 to SQL Anywhere 11.
> > I am using the "Unload" wizard in Sybase Central.  I am
> > choosing the option "Unload and reload into a new
> > database."
> > After following the wizard, the new database does get
> > created BUT it won't load the structure and data from
> > the old database into the newly created database.  I get
> > a *** User Authentication Failed *** message.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Rommel
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Engineering
> Sybase iAnywhere
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :

http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals SQL
> Anywhere Patches and EBFs :

http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
0
Rommel
9/18/2008 8:56:06 PM
There is an issue with DBISQL and Sybase Central in which neither are
self-authenticating as a result of a defect in the SA11 GA release. This
has been fixed and will be in the first EBF.

Rather than use the wizard, try the dbunload.exe command line version.

--

Chris Keating

Please only post to the newsgroup

SQL Anywhere Developer Community
	http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Blog Center
	http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
Maintenance releases and EBFs
	http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
Use Case Express to report bugs
	http://case-express.sybase.com

Rommel Badua wrote:
> I followed your advice and read the documentation.  But I
> still get the authentication message.  I think our problem
> is this, SQL Anywhere 8 is not authenticated so it doesn't
> have any authentication string because that version does not
> require authentication.  So if I try to use the SQL 11
> wizard to unload, it creates the authenticated SQL 11 db,
> but when it tries to connect to the SQL 8 db to unload data
> and structure, that's when I get the authentication error.
> Anyway around this?  It seems like Sybase Central 11 can
> only open an authenticated database.
>
> Thanks,
> Rommel
>

>> Rommel,
>>
>> I assume you're using the OEM version of our v11 software?
>> In this  scenario, the message means that you're running a
>> non-authenticated  database on an authenticated engine.
>>
>> In order to create an authenticated database automatically
>> a  initialization time, you'll need to create a file in
>> the \scripts  directory called "authenticate.sql" that has
>> two statements in it:
>>
>> ======
>> SET OPTION PUBLIC.database_authentication =
>> 'company=company-name;application=application-name
>> ;signature=database-signature' go
>> ======
>>
>> The company-name and application-name arguments are the
>> values you  supplied to Sybase when obtaining your
>> signature, and database-signature  is the database
>> signature that you received from Sybase.
>>
>> See the documentation for more details:
>>
> http://dcx.sybase.com/1100en/dbadmin_en11/running-authenticating-your-database.html
> http://dcx.sybase.com/1100en/dbadmin_en11/running-s-4632203.html
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rommel Badua wrote:
>>> I am upgrading from SQL Anywhere 8 to SQL Anywhere 11.
>>> I am using the "Unload" wizard in Sybase Central.  I am
>>> choosing the option "Unload and reload into a new
>>> database."
>>> After following the wizard, the new database does get
>>> created BUT it won't load the structure and data from
>>> the old database into the newly created database.  I get
>>> a *** User Authentication Failed *** message.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Rommel
>> --
>> Jeff Albion, Engineering
>> Sybase iAnywhere
>>
>> iAnywhere Developer Community :
>>
> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
>> iAnywhere Documentation :
>> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals SQL
>> Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
>>
> http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
0
Chris

SQL Anywhere 9 / SQL Anywhere 11
Sybase 9.0.2.3534 Using Mobilink we are looking to synchronize a SQL Anywhere 9.0.2.3534 db with a SQL Anywhere 11 consolidated db, are there certain arguments I need to add to the server and client execution lines? Also, will SQL Anywhere 9 db work with SQL Anywhere 11 db via Remote Servers? Are there special parameters required? Thanks To synchronize a 9.0.2 client with an 11.0.1 MobiLink server you will need to use the -xo switch. -xo switch: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1101en/mlserver_en11/ml-syncserver-xo.html The remainder of the MobiLink switches will be specif...

Having SQL Anywhere 10 and SQL Anywhere 11 on the same machine
Hi Everyone, I have one customer that runs SQL Anywhere 10 and another customer running SQL Anywhere 11. This means I need to run both versions. I do not have the luxury of running multiple VMs on my laptop. I am wondering if anyone out there has experience on how to do this? Appreciate if any info can be shared! Thanks! YM. In article <e486d794-5fa5-4ae4-9f7b- d5e43689608a@w6g2000yqw.googlegroups.com>, yusuf.mai@gmail.com says... > Hi Everyone, > > I have one customer that runs SQL Anywhere 10 and another customer > running SQL Anywhere 11. This mean...

Upgrade from SQL Anywhere 9.02 to SQL Anywhere 10
Hello, This is my first question asked in this forum. I have been developed both Window and ASP.Net applications using Visual studio 2003 with C#.Net. It still uses .Net 1.1 with SQL Anywhere 9.02. Products need to be released for beta test very soon. I would like to use 'ClearPool' for database connection which I can remove a specific connection from .Net connection pool when I use the connection string as POOLING=TRUE. I cannot do this in .Net 1.1 and SQL Anywhere 9.02. I believe that this feature just added into .Net 2.0 and SQL Anywhere 10. I am using .Net Data ...

SQL Anywhere Client (AIX) to Access SQL Anywhere 8.0
What client is needed to access SQL Anywhere 8.0 from an AIX client machine? Where can I download it? The Unix version of SQL Anywhere Studio is available for purchase. The client software is included in the package. Your sales rep can assist you with the pricing details for client licenses. -- ----------------------------------------------- Robert Waywell Certified SQL Anywhere Associate Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions Please respond ONLY to newsgroup EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to al...

Moving from SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to SQL Anywhere 8.0
Dear Sirs/user group, We would like to upgrade the sybase SQL Anywhere from version 5.5.05 database to version 8. I am told that the table names we currently use and maybe the procedures and triggers names are too long; 28 and 16 characters respectively. That is the maximum name length allowed in version 8? If I upgrade and SQL 8 shortens the table names, will the procedures be updated to reflect the changes of the table names? Or will I have to do all the changes manually, going through each procedure with a fine tooth comb? Thanks in advance, Oded Szpiro oded@travelca...

sql anywhere 10 .NET provider & sql anywhere 8 server
sql anywhere 10 .NET provider & sql anywhere 8 server are there any major known issues other than test for my scenarios or it is not compatible at all. i was able to connect, add, delete & update records on a simple table & dataset. Env: VS 2005 .NET 2.0 & sql anywhere 10 thanks vsv This configuration should work. But we do not do significant (if any) testing of this configuration, so you should ensure you do thorough testing with your application. -- Ian McHardy (iAnywhere Solutions) Please reply only to the newsgroup. Whitepapers, TechDo...

SQL Anywhere, ASA and SQL Anywhere Studio.
Hello, I will want understand the history of the products names SQL Anywhere, ASA and SQL Anywhere Studio. Is an evolution of same product? Previously these exists Sybase SQL Server? Sybase SQL Server is the product what has been involved in project with Microsoft, what result in MS SQL Server? Thanks very much. Renato Cramer. <Renato Cramer> wrote: > I will want understand the history of the products names SQL > Anywhere, ASA and SQL Anywhere Studio. Watcom SQL -> Sybase SQL Anywhere -> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere. > Is an evolution of sa...

Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 to SQL Anywhere 9.0
Does anyone know of any scripts that can be used to prevent DB errors when upgrading a V5.0 database to a V9.0 environment? What error messages are you receiving? <fd1smith> wrote in message news:3f7839bd.7f74.846930886@sybase.com... > Does anyone know of any scripts that can be used to prevent > DB errors when upgrading a V5.0 database to a V9.0 > environment? ...

any difference between sql anywhere and sql anywhere studio
Is there any difference between sql anywhere and sql anywhere studio? Thanks. >Is there any difference between sql anywhere and sql anywhere studio? The answer depends upon the context of the question. Years ago, "sql anywhere" referred to the DBMS that is now known as Adaptive Server Anywhere. Now, "sql anywhere" can mean a general reference to a set of products that includes ASA, as well as some other things. "sql anywhere studio" is a particular bundling of these products. Still, sometimes when people refer to "sql anywhere" t...

SQL Anywhere for QNX -> SQL Anywhere for NT
Hello! I have a system (local server with http-server and Sybase SQL Anywhere) on QNX - several cgi-programs written on Watcom C with embedded SQL. Now I want to try to move all programs to Win NT. But I don't have time to entirely rewrite all the programs. Also currently I don't have opportunity to try SQL Anywhere for NT. So before I begin to experiment I want to ask some questions. First of all, I want to try to recompile all my cgi-programs with Watcom C for DOS using SQL Anywhere for NT sql-preprocessor. (btw, I don't use any qnx-specific functions in my programs). ...

upgrade SQL anywhere databases from ver 8 to ver 11
we have databases in version 8.03 we want to make a procedure to upgrade all DBs to 11 first i tried "dbunload" and "dbupgrad" from the command line. it was o.k then i built a batch file to first unload the database and then upgrade it to ver11 i used the same commands as i used earlier. the process did not succeed. i didn't get any error, but it seems that it felt in the begging. why is the same commands works fine from the command line but fail on running from the batch? [please help] [thanks] the problem was that the batch interpreted "-c" [fo...

SQL Anywhere 11 hanging on SQL statement
I have a 800mb DB that I unloaded/reloaded from version 8 to the Developer Edition of version 11. If I open ISQL and run: alter dbspace SYSTEM add 100 MB the DB file immediately grows by 100MB, but the execution of the statement never finishes. However if I use Sybase Central to create a DB and then perform the same procedure on this new empty DB, the statement executes in under 30 seconds. If I try pressing the "stop" button in ISQL, this locks up that program. And if I press the "Shutdown" button on the SQL Anywhere console window, the server also...

SQL Anywhere 8 upgrade?
Hi all, Question, I've got an sql script from a software vendor which is supposed to initialize a database for use with their product. We've got SQL Anywhere Studio 7.0.4, but the script bails on syntax errors (believe it's to do with named constraints.) Would someone be able to tell me if v8 will handle this script (attached at end of this post)? Or tell me how to get around the v7.0.4 incompatibility, as I'm no database expert?? Thanks very much --Todd /* *begin cut & paste of sql script */ /* *ER/Studio 4.0 SQL Code Generation * Company :...

Upgrading to SQL Anywhere 11
Sybase 9.0.2.3534 I need to upgrade my consolidated db and local db's from SQL Anywhere 9.0.2.3534 and have a few questions: 1. Do I need to upgrade to v10 first? 2. If I upgrade my consolidated db to v11 can applications written for v9 run against the v11 consolidated db with no modifications? 3. We currently use Mobilink for replication, are there any special considerations? Thanks 1) No. You can upgrade directly from SA 9.0.2 to SA 11.0.1. 2) You application will need to be tested to determine the required changes to work with SA 11.0.1. I recommend reading the What&...

Web resources about - Upgrading from SQL Anywhere 8 to SQL Anywhere 11 - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Upgrading From Windows 1.0 to Windows 8 On Actual Hardware - YouTube
If you're watching this video, you've probably seen the other videos that prove it is possible to upgrade from Windows 1.0 all the way to Windows ...

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Apple users face issues upgrading to iOS 9
Apple customers were facing issues while upgrading to iOS 9, which was released this morning in Australia, technology blog 9to5Mac reported. ...

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube